A.L. Batting Title Race

Green Jets & Ham

If Jeter wins the batting title this season, I think what would make it so amazing is that despite the fact that he would probably never say it, I honestly think it was a goal he set this season for himself. At least after that SI poll that named him as the most overrated player in baseball. Competitiveness is one of the things that makes Jeter who he is. I don't care what anybody says. After having accomplished all of the things he has in his career, that poll was a slap in the face and IMO jealousy played a big role. The guy has four rings, multiple gold gloves, and more hits than any player in MLB since he came in to the league. Once the "overrated" article came out, I have no doubt that Jeter decided that he was going to have to do something special this season. He knows he's not going to lead the league in HR but he can lead the league in BA which he has a very good chance to do. Best of luck to him.

Mauer better enjoy his life in the light this year. Jeter will overtake him eventually, and Cano might get enough at bats to make everyone realize his potential. I forgot, the Yankees have no farm system....:)

No offense man, but Mauer is going to be the best offensive catcher in the leauge for the next 10+ years. I think he will be basking in the light a little longer than Jeter.

Mauer is a wonderful hitter, but it is tough for a Catcher to hit this well for so long into the season. And there is no rest for him, as the Twins are right in the middle of things in the WC race.

If it comes down to these 2, my money is on Jeter.

No offense man, but Mauer is going to be the best offensive catcher in the leauge for the next 10+ years. I think he will be basking in the light a little longer than Jeter.

I'm not taking anything away from him. Catching takes it's toll on the player more than any other position. That has to affect him.

The race is tightening :eek:

Joe Mauer - .346

Derek Jeter - .344

And don't discount the dark horse either, Robby Cano

He's creeping up on enough AB's to qualify too, he'll be there soon, and he's hitting .338

I think Cano will need 502 ABs by seasons end to qualify so 117 gets him there. I can't say I know this for a fact but I read the other day that a player needs to average 3.1 ABs per game which comes out to 502.

I forgot, the Yankees have no farm system....:)

And some folks thought it was hype when Torre said Cano reminds him of Rod Carew

They ain't laughing no-more :wink:

This kid will win a batting title, probably more than one, and he'll hit 20+ HR's too

You'll see, Robby Cano is just scratching the surface ... his ability to consistantly make solid contact is already there, but he'll get more selective over time and he has 20+ HR potential as well

Bottom line:

Robby Cano, from that awful Yankees farm system :rolleyes:, will be bludgeoning A.L. Pitchers for a long time

Folks should put to rest that false report about the Yankees Farm System. this past week, we have seen 2 pitchers, who were not thought of as the cream of the crop, pitch very well in the Majors. Both Karstens and Rasner have had solid season, albeit with some interesting moments (Karstens struggled in April, was sent to AA, got straightened up, and has been solid since. Rasner had an arm injury while warming up in early July, that took almost 7 weeks to heal).

Wait 'till the real studs start showing up!!:yahoo:

UPDATE

Derek Jeter .344

Joe Mauer .344

Robby Cano .340

As was confirmed by the NY Post today, currently Cano does not have the requisite number of AB's to officially qualify for the batting title, but he's not far off the pace and barring injury he will almost certainly have the requisite number by seasons end, if not sooner

So there you have it, it looks like a three man race and above are the updated BA's

SIDE NOTE: Jeter is also riding a 17 Game hit streak, which matches his career high, a hit tonite will be a new career high of 18 for DJ

Cano needs about 100 plate appearances to qualify by seasons end. With about 27 games left, he should get their, especially if the Yankees have a couple of big offensive displays during Sept. This will be counter-balanced by some games where he gets taken out early, but I think he will end up qualifing.

I still think a Catcher has a tough hoe in Sept., especially if he needs to play almost everyday, like Mauer does, considering the WC race for the Twins.

Speaking of Catchers, anyone notice the season Posada is having? Offensively, he will have as solid a season as he ever has had, except for teh HRs. And he has never thrown runners out better then this season.

Looks like his 12 millin salary for next year may not be a waste after all.

Speaking of Catchers, anyone notice the season Posada is having? Offensively, he will have as solid a season as he ever has had, except for teh HRs. And he has never thrown runners out better then this season.

Looks like his 12 millin salary for next year may not be a waste after all.

Lot's of people were killing him here. I always like Jorge. And he has been part of the whole thing here. So imo he stays until he wants to go. Just like Bernie. If Bernie wants to be a role player for another 2 rings or so, I have no problem with that!

\:D/

I give Mauer a lot of credit. Catching everyday, and still gets his hits. A real solid player.

Cano has averaged better than an RBI a day since his return 37 games ago. Nice player. I agree that he will be a challenger for a batting title in his career, for many years to come. He has pop to all fields, and a very quick bat. I see a bit of Mattingly in him, but without the power Donnie baseball generated in his prime.

Some dead Farm System. Wang, Cano, Melky, and more to come.:yahoo:

UPDATE

Joe Mauer .344

Derek Jeter .343 - {Extended his Hitting Streak to 25 Games} :eek:

Robby Cano .339

The numbers Cano is putting up are amazing, when you think about how long he was hurt. It doesn't hurt to be in such a lineup, but still. There's no easy outs in the Yankees lineup.

It will end up being Mauer #1

Jeter #2

Cano #3

And I'm a Yankees fan :(

But hey, last night I predicted the whole end of the Oklahoma/Oregon game. Starting with the onside kick, which I predicted wouldn't go far enough, Oregon would touch it and still gte the ball, and ending with predicting Oregon will block that field goal.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe that Mauer is at .347, Cano at .342, and Jeter at .340, right now. Cano now has enough plate appearances to qualify.

I'm shocked that Mauer has been able to keep this up. Most catchers tend to fade down the stretch with the beating they take behind the plate but Mauer has just continued to hit. Kudos to him.

I'm shocked that Mauer has been able to keep this up. Most catchers tend to fade down the stretch with the beating they take behind the plate but Mauer has just continued to hit. Kudos to him.

Yes this is very impressive...

I'm always torn when yanks are in the batting race hunt... My head tells me that batting avg is meaningless but in my heart i still want a yankee to win heh.

Yes this is very impressive...

I'm always torn when yanks are in the batting race hunt... My head tells me that batting avg is meaningless but in my heart i still want a yankee to win heh.

it looks nice on a HOF resume

I was like 7 when Paul O'neal won in 1994 with a .359 batting average but he was my favorite player so i was all excited about it and my favorite baseball card was a Paul O'neal BA crown card

thats the funny thing about batting titles, one year someone can hit .330 and win it and another year someone can go .353 (frank thomas) and not even be runner up

Its too bad Jeter couldn't win, and Cano probably won't win either sadly. but theres always next year i guess

Archived