Is it me or does Thomas look like a WR playing DE?

SouthernJet

Man, this guy looks like he needs to eat some steaks.

Even his helmet looked odd on his little head..

He just cant get it done, ,he is way too thin and not built up,,

Thomas and Drob will not be Jets in 2007

well, at least, Thomas is bigger than Vilma. lol.

You have to remember that it is Thomas' first time playing 3-4 this year.. It is up to Mangini to decide whether or not Thomas is improving at understanding the 3-4 system. We wont expect him to be a star right away..

as for DRobertson, he has no business to be a member of 3-4 DL.

Thomas is very lean - which isn't a bad thing - all muscle

if you look at a player like Julius Peppers in street clothes he doesn't look anywhere near the listed 290 but he is because muscle is heavier than fat

believe it or not Thomas is probably one of our best 3-4 defenders - he's not rushing the passer but is a demon in run defense

if you look at a player like Julius Peppers in street clothes he doesn't look anywhere near the listed 290 but he is because muscle is heavier than fat

believe it or not Thomas is probably one of our best 3-4 defenders - he's not rushing the passer but is a demon in run defense

I do not think we can call anyone on our front a demon on defense- it is pitiful so far.

I don't care if his legs are as big as tree trunks, did anyone else see little 5'7 Maurice Jones-Drew run over and just shove Bryan Thomas out of the way?:character42:

Ya know in the Preseason it looked like he could be a decent player but silly me & others to assume that. **** Bryan Thomas.

WTF game did u watch, M Drew pancaked this soft DE and went thru him like Butta

maybe that's our new Nickname "Butta"

I do not think we can call anyone on our front a demon on defense- it is pitiful so far.

Yeppers. BT is a JAG, nothing more.

Vilma is playing out of position.

DFat is well...DFat.

Wrong players for this scheme, and i dont see it getting much better until they insert different personnel into the mix.

I havent rewatched the game, and wont, but it looked like he got caught up in the pile too many times.

Now I'll speculate that part of their gameplan was to have Vilma focus on backing up the inside b/c they knew Dfat was overmatched. He is usually very quick to get outside the tackle, but I think he was reeled in by the CS.

It looked like was was purposely trying to stack it up b/t the guards.

I also think that there was all this "switching" of 3 and 4 man fronts, and his (and others') responsibility changes from scheme to scheme, and that proved to be counter-productive. Which is part of my overall disappointment with the defensive gameplan yesterday.

Yeppers. BT is a JAG, nothing more.

Vilma is playing out of position.

DFat is well...DFat.

Wrong players for this scheme, and i dont see it getting much better until they insert different personnel into the mix.

If BT is JAG, that may mean he could actually make a play once in a while. My gosh, you would think he can make a play out of sheer luck.

Those bradway early round draft picks (hobson, thomas, robertson) did not quite work out as thought

If BT is JAG, that may mean he could actually make a play once in a while. My gosh, you would think he can make a play out of sheer luck.

Those bradway early round draft picks (hobson, thomas, robertson) did not quite work out as thought

Strangely enough, BT was credited with 8 tackles yesterday (must have been of the 6 yards downfield variety)

Hobson, Ellis, and Chatham had 1 apiece, and Kassell had 0

BT is too soft to play LB....Watch the way he tackles and takes on blockers...He has the athletism, but he doesn't have that "take their head off" mentality....he's pussyfooting around when he should be looking for snot-bubbles.

Do i sense some anger over the D. Mcglover cut????

Not anger. Just frustration b/c i think he'd be doing better than Kassell and Chatham.

Everyone makes mistakes. He was a good fit for this team imo, and whatever Jims/ guys they decided to keep instead of DMc havent exactly measured up.

Bryan Thomas sucks and is a complete joke of a 3-4 OLB.

He's average at best vs the run too, and that 40 time he ran coming out of college must have been a full second off because he is slow as dog crap.

I can see that BT is fast. Trouble is on the field he is always pussyfooting around and trying to decide where to run. He has no functional speed at all. You almost never see him actually run, he just trots towards where he thinks he should be after the full second it takes for him to decide. I'd bet he'd still run a decent 40 as long as somebody told him where to run and gave him five seconds to get it through his head.

Not anger. Just frustration b/c i think he'd be doing better than Kassell and Chatham.

Everyone makes mistakes. He was a good fit for this team imo, and whatever Jims/ guys they decided to keep instead of DMc havent exactly measured up.

I liked McClover, but how is he a good fit? Vilma can't properly play the scheme because he's too small. McClover is 10 pounds lighter. Would you play him at safety? Safety is probably our strongest spot on defense.

to all the BT bashers

can you honestly say that Vilma has looked better?

has any defender has reliably looked MUCH better than Bryan Thomas?

*** and if no one looks good do we need 11 new players?

Everyone is so blind with rage at the players that they aren't seeing the forest for the trees. heck...maybe we do need a fresh 11 but i know alot of these guys on the defense have talent and heart they just aren't being put in the right position to make plays.

This 3-4 adjustment has resulted in on the whole the worst NYJ defense since the days of cotrell and all the fans can do is blame the young talented players?

Bryan Thomas is the type of player you put him in Adalius Thomas role in Baltimore or Rosy Colvin in New England this time next year he's a great player. He's not a game changer but a great player none the less.

meanwhile Vilma was last two years used to be a game changer now he looks like a scrub. does he have talent?

We used a 12 overall on Vilma and a 22 on Thomas.

No one really complains about Jon Vilma because they've seen him take over a game before. But go watch the tape or even look at the boxscore Thomas has had more impact on these games than Vilma.

Bryan Thomas isn't worthless. This defensive coaching staff needs to get their act together.

...i know alot of these guys on the defense have talent and heart they just aren't being put in the right position to make plays.

-------

This defensive coaching staff needs to get their act together.

bit I've been all over this all day. The Def CS is blowing chunks.

I'm not impressed thusfar.

27- Mc was a good fit b/c he was a major contributor on ST, and he makes the tackles that Kassell and Chatham blew. He fits as an OLB not an ILB

I'm not impressed thusfar.

27- Mc was a good fit b/c he was a major contributor on ST, and he makes the tackles that Kassell and Chatham blew. He fits as an OLB not an ILB

as for Darrell McClover maybe it's a character thing because i think he is still on the street - he probably has more real defensive potential as an edge rusher than either Chatham or Kassell have for contributing on real defense. but at that point it's like splitting hairs.

Kassell sees the field an awful lot for a guy who doesn't make plays.

another guy pissin me off Kimo van O ok great he made 1 play in 4 weeks but watch how many of those yards were Barnes vs Kimo, he has been getting erased in run defense. Rashad Moore played good for 1 week.

the defensive free agent signings have been on the whole pretty crappy.

I dont think thats accurate about DmC and I think you're wrong about that. If anything, i think maybe his "classroom" work wasnt good enough for the CS, but he is a hard worker and very disciplined, so drop the "street" stuff. No one on the team is more street than Coles.

I dont think thats accurate about DmC and I think you're wrong about that. If anything, i think maybe his "classroom" work wasnt good enough for the CS, but he is a hard worker and very disciplined, so drop the "street" stuff. No one on the team is more street than Coles.

to be clear im sure he's a nice guy - just speculating - he is a very fast player clock wise and young - so it's surprising to me why he hasn't gotten another gig. all i'm saying is there has to be something we the fans don't know because from a football perspective it never made sense to me.

note the compliment i paid him, to reiterate i like him better as an edge rusher than either Kassel or Chatham as ILBs. hobson should be playing ILB and guys like Vilma and McClover rushing outside

to all the BT bashers

can you honestly say that Vilma has looked better?

has any defender has reliably looked MUCH better than Bryan Thomas?

*** and if no one looks good do we need 11 new players?

Everyone is so blind with rage at the players that they aren't seeing the forest for the trees. heck...maybe we do need a fresh 11 but i know alot of these guys on the defense have talent and heart they just aren't being put in the right position to make plays.

This 3-4 adjustment has resulted in on the whole the worst NYJ defense since the days of cotrell and all the fans can do is blame the young talented players?

Bryan Thomas is the type of player you put him in Adalius Thomas role in Baltimore or Rosy Colvin in New England this time next year he's a great player. He's not a game changer but a great player none the less.

meanwhile Vilma was last two years used to be a game changer now he looks like a scrub. does he have talent?

We used a 12 overall on Vilma and a 22 on Thomas.

No one really complains about Jon Vilma because they've seen him take over a game before. But go watch the tape or even look at the boxscore Thomas has had more impact on these games than Vilma.

Bryan Thomas isn't worthless. This defensive coaching staff needs to get their act together.

Bryan Thomas did nothing his first 4 years in the league, and this is his 5th season and its shaping up as another jag season for him.

Vilma was DROY and a probowler his 1st 2 seasons.

No comparison. And for the record, the 3-4 sucks for the Jets.

It will never work out with Vilma on this team.

Archived