SHOOT ME

Barton

Sometimes when you win, you really lose. And sometimes when you lose, you really win.

Almost every Jets fan here admits that Chad Pennington has his problems. His arm is weak and the fact that some admit he needs better players around him like a "star RB and a true burner at WR" throws up a red flag in my head. What has Chad ever done with a "true burner at WR" ? He had Santana Moss for 3 years, and what plays did Santana ever do week in, week out? Did he ever have a good season for us?

We trade him to the redskins, and all of a sudden, Santana Moss breaks out for 1,400 yards and a probowl season. Now everybody wants the same type of player to play with Chad again. Interesting.

Maybe its actually Chads inability to throw a 30 yard post w/o hangtime, or a 20 yard out on a line that limits the playbook so much that an air attack downfield is relegated to nothing. Face the facts, Chadinettes, its Chads weak arm that limits the playbook, as well as the running backs.

Teams have been stacking the box against Chad since 2003, and he has done NOTHING since. Sure, we made the playoffs in 2004. Big damn deal. We had a top 5 defense and the NFLs leading rusher, we better damn make the playoffs. Still, when it came to play a tuff defense that year (Bills, Pats, Chargers in the playoffs, Steelers), all those teams stacked 8 in the box and made our NFL rushing leader a non-factor.

Why did they do that? We had that year, a "true burner at WR" in Santana Moss, and aside from a 40 yard TD pass from Chad vs the Chargers, Santana Moss did NOTHING the rest of those games, and especially not vs the Steelers. So again, back to my point. Why did those defenses stack 8 in the box?

The answer is simple. Because Chads arm does not have the respect from tuff defenses. He can NOT stretch the field. He is NOT a threat downfield, regardless of who we have at WR (Santana or Coles).

Fast forward to 2006. Chad is having a miserable season. Thats right, a miserable season. He has thrown more INTs than TDs. I repeat, he has thrown more INTs than TDs. The Jets are still 5-5, and to some fans that means that Chad is playing well, because we have a outside chance at the playoffs.

Guess what? We have no chance at the playoffs. None. We arent going to win 4 more games the rest of the year. We'll be lucky to go 9-7, but more than likely, we'll finish 8-8. And to some fans, thats good because we were considered a 4-12 team before the season started, so Chad's below average QB play is thrown out the window. Or is it? I'll never understand how some fans can tell me straight in the face that we can win with Chad Pennington. If "winning" is going 8-8 or 9-7 every year and getting bounced from the playoffs, please shoot me.

Chad will more than likely play good these next 2 weeks vs the Texans and Packers, 2 power house defenses in their respective leagues. The Jets very well could win the next 2 games, and fans will jump back on the Chad Pennington bandwagon, waving their pom poms telling the likes of myself that they knew all along Chad would come back strong and prove to be a very good fit for this team in the present and future.

Well, my stance on Chad will not waver. He is an average QB with a below average arm. If we had any resemblance of solid QB play this season we would have beaten both the Browns and Bears. That is a fact.

Now if you want to shoot me for saying this, go right ahead. But I fear for the FUTURE of this franchise if we go 8-8. Because that might just be good enough in the minds of the fans and perhaps the coaches to stick with Chad in 2007. Without a doubt, it will be good enough for the Chadinettes, but I hope Mangini and Co. have a better view on the big picture. And the big picture is the future of this team.

If the coaches feel that Chad is the future of this team, we are going nowhere. We will never win a SB with Chad at QB. That is, unless we reaquire Santana Moss, find another nfl rushing leader, not to mention acquiring a top flight defense in the free agency and the draft. Afterall, that was a recipe for success in 2004.

Thats why I will be watching the Jets with 1 eye closed the rest of the year. This team is not winning the SB. I'll keep an eye out for the young guys on this team, and the progress they make to build towards the future.

There is also one other thing that can be accomplished, and that is Chad playing just good enough and the Jets squeaking out an 9-7 record. This is potentially, a very bad thing. This record, of 9-7, could sway our coaching staff to stick with Chad Pennington for the start of the 2007 season. Without a doubt, 2007 would once again be a wasted season. Not even the progress of our young players would be enough, its all about the progress of a QB that makes a team. Chad will be 31 next year. He has no room for progress in any aspect of his game. And we will never win with his game. The Jets would only be digging a bigger hole for themselves if they continue to stick with Chad.

And thats why I am not rooting for the Jets to finish with a winning record, or even 8-8. I do not care about the playoffs, and neither should you. This team is not capable of winning in the playoffs, let alone winning a superbowl. And that all falls squarely on the shoulders of our QB, Chad Pennington.

I was going to do that. Maybe I'll send it right now.

I dunno though, max is pro-pennington I think. Bastid! :P

I'm thinking the Florida School system has been focusing on writing as Barton has put together back-to-back excellent threads.

Good work mate.

I can not root for the Jets to lose though

That stuff will always make me fit to puke. Besides, we still have that pick from Washington in our corner. Look for us to fill many necessary holes next season with intelligent picks regardless of our position on the board.

As to all the Chad criticisms (some warranted), this is what drives me nuts: Nobody expected us to be competitive, but because we are, it's human nature to get greedy (me included). Remember, we only won 4 games all last year, and thus far we have won 5, expected as we were to punk out on all cylinders.

I think a healthy and realistic way to look at it is that Chad gave us the best chance to win in our current state of affairs, how we are currently constituted as a team TODAY. Now that he's having troubles, it makes our needs for the near future more addressable - or less addressable - depending on where Mangini wants to go. Does he continue to build around someone with limitations or scrap most of that idea and go in a completely new direction? And lest we forget, EVERY player has limitations. If and when the season becomes lost on paper, expect to see Chad every Sunday. I understand the impatience given our team history, but I am perfectly willing to be patient for all the RIGHT reasons here. We should do this, we should do that; but sometimes having a trigger finger ain't the way to go if you're trying to discern the larger long-term picture. It's why Mangini is a HC and I post at a Jets Message Board. :)

I don't know, smells like a cut and paste to me..

I'm giving the young man the benefit of the doubt.

It's an unwritten rule on messageboard's to credit someone if you are posting their work. Be it an article from a newspaper or a post from another site.

I'm giving the young man the benefit of the doubt.

It's an unwritten rule on messageboard's to credit someone if you are posting their work. Be it an article from a newspaper or a post from another site.

yea, youre right

Pats suck

(credit Gainzo with this bit of wisdom)...:P

Yeah we havn't beaten a team whose going to be a Top 4 seed in the AFC or anything right Barton? Spare me. Pennington is going through his ups and downs this season, really down currently but name me a good QB that hasn't had a bad streak at some point in his career. I'm a fan of Chad and I'm with you in going with Clemens in 2007 if Chad continues to play this way for the remaining 6 games but it is premature to be calling for his head now. With Houston & Green Bay up next he could very well have 2 straight good games with Coles & Cotchery and bring back the consistency that they had earlier on in the season. Chad is a good QB whose having a bad past 5, 6 games. Every QB in the NFL will have that stretch, it's a little bit premature to say let's bench him now while still in the playoff hunt.

Also, if we had a solid QB we would've beaten Cleveland & Chicago? Right. I'm sure Kellen Clemens would've lit up the field on Chicago's #1 RANKED DEFENSE. Cleveland, Chad did indeed struggle as well as he did against Chicago but the defense is as much if not more to blame for Cleveland.

Yeah we havn't beaten a team whose going to be a Top 4 seed in the AFC or anything right Barton? Spare me. Pennington is going through his ups and downs this season, really down currently but name me a good QB that hasn't had a bad streak at some point in his career. I'm a fan of Chad and I'm with you in going with Clemens in 2007 if Chad continues to play this way for the remaining 6 games but it is premature to be calling for his head now. With Houston & Green Bay up next he could very well have 2 straight good games with Coles & Cotchery and bring back the consistency that they had earlier on in the season. Chad is a good QB whose having a bad past 5, 6 games. Every QB in the NFL will have that stretch, it's a little bit premature to say let's bench him now while still in the playoff hunt.

Also, if we had a solid QB we would've beaten Cleveland & Chicago? Right. I'm sure Kellen Clemens would've lit up the field on Chicago's #1 RANKED DEFENSE. Cleveland, Chad did indeed struggle as well as he did against Chicago but the defense is as much if not more to blame for Cleveland.

We beat the patriots w/o Chad. He did nothing that game.

If we had solid QB play vs the browns and cleveland we would have won.

Thats pretty obvious. Solid QB play is what Chad usually give us, except on days where its very windy or when he plays a tuff defense.

It is pretty hard for a QB to suck more than Chad has the past month 1/2.

The TD that Cotchery threw to himself was pretty amazing. They don't call him JC for nothing, you know.

Are you talking about the pass that Chad threw into double coverage against the Pats. Great catch, suspect decision by Chad.

The TD that Cotchery threw to himself was pretty amazing. They don't call him JC for nothing, you know.

That was all Cotchery. What did Chad do the rest of the game? Absolutely nothing.

But whatever. Oh praise the great Chad Pennington, he who throws more interceptions than touchdowns.

Tomorrow when the chadinettes are eating thanksgiving dinner toegether they will all be thankful that the Jets are lead by Chad. They'll stuff themselves, throw on their #10 jerseys, run to the Penny shrine in the back of their closets and sacrifice a turkey leg in his honor.

That was all Cotchery. What did Chad do the rest of the game? Absolutely nothing.

Hmm, now how did I know that would push your Chad Buttons?! :P Fact remains, a TD is a TD is a TD, no matter who it "all" was. Just like a W. It is what it is at the end of the day. Sorry about that. Hehe.

If you guys honestly believe we'd be better with Kellen Clemens in right now as a rookie then we are with Chad then please, by all means, hand in your Jet fan card and switch to another franchise.

The broncos are benching Jake Plummer, for a rookie, and that team is 7-3.

Whats so hard for a rookie to outperform what Pennington has done the last 6 weeks? He's been probably the worst QB in the NFL the last 6 weeks.

Chad is worthy to at least start the game vs the Texans, but if he puts up no TDs in the 1st half, you'd have to consider yanking him for Clemens.

Whats so hard for a rookie to outperform what Pennington has done the last 6 weeks? He's been probably the worst QB in the NFL the last 6 weeks.

Chad is worthy to at least start the game vs the Texans, but if he puts up no TDs in the 1st half, you'd have to consider yanking him for Clemens.

The only way I consider benching Chad is when / if this team hits the 7 mark in the L colum before the Raiders game. At that point, I'd like to see Kellen get some playing time to get him ready for 2007 or 2008, whichever year he becomes the starter because, like it or not, he will become the full-time starter in the next few years.

Another terrible game and benching him makes good sense, but...

he generally doesn't have terrible games against poor Ds, and more importantly, I'm not sure I'd want Clemens coming in off the bench. He'd better be prepared when he comes in. A series or two to get his feet wet fine, but he'd better have had plenty of snaps that week before we send him in for a half. For his sake, not the team. Chad bombs this week and then maybe start him the following game, but I doubt extended action against the Texans.

Barton,

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the article..BUT..under your avatar picture you have "Nugent Supporter"

You rant and rave about Penny, but yet you have that?

See any of his Yankee posts for more of the same.

Barton Rule Of Thumb = must always have a scape goat and post non stop about his faults if the team doesn't succeed while casting a blind eye on the faults of players he is a full fledged homer of.

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows Chad has struggled the majority of the last 6 weeks .......does Barton feel he's posting breaking news here or just showing what a fair weather fan he is?

The Pennington future will work itself out whether Barton roots for wins or not.

I think its safe to say at this point tht Clemens does not give the Jets are better chance to win than Pennington would. I am sure the coaching staff is evaluating on a daily basis as to what Clemens can offer right now, and its not to the point where they feel he's a better option to lead the team than Pennington. I realize Pennington's had an Up and down year, but lets see what he can down the stretch, and if he flames out, we can make the change then for next year. Besides who says a young QB can't be successful without prior game action, look at what RIvers is doing this year with limited live reps.

I just don't understand, how you can tell me you're a Jets fan a root for them to failed, regardless of how little you think of CP.

See any of his Yankee posts for more of the same.

Barton Rule Of Thumb = must always have a scape goat and post non stop about his faults if the team doesn't succeed while casting a blind eye on the faults of players he is a full fledged homer of.

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows Chad has struggled the majority of the last 6 weeks .......does Barton feel he's posting breaking news here or just showing what a fair weather fan he is?

The Pennington future will work itself out whether Barton roots for wins or not.

Gee, I must be so stupid. I am just soooo dumb.

Who I am to not accept putrid QB play? I am also a poor fan according to you. Thats 1 of the chadinette excuses, so good job using one already.

Me calling out Chad, makes me a fair weather fan? Seriously, what the **** are you talking about? That doesnt make any sense.

Only a dipsh#t would sit there and tell me I'm a poor fan because I think Chad is playing like crap and he isnt the future.

And, please, go right ahead and point out some yankee posts from me that are scapegoating. Go right ahead. Put up or shut up.

Archived