TEXANS AND VINCE YOUNG

Pragmatic Bus

David Carr is the franchise QB in Houston. He's thrown how many picks this season? 6? 7? He's have a pretty good season although he does need to put the ball into the endzone a bit more but without a running game teams know they are going to the air. The OLine is finally playing decent there, and Carr's #'s show it.

And no, Reggie Bush would've been a dumb pick as well, Domanick Davis will return or they'll get a true RB in 07 or 08, depending.

Chances are the Texans will regret passing Young greatly. Carr is an okay QB, but the difference between talent on the Texans and Titans isn't great enough to justify a 3 win season. VY has shown he's a winner, probably the most important trait for any QB. You simply can not coach intangibles. The technique will be drilled into the guy, and he has the physical tools and determination to succeed. I simply don't understand all the hate the guy gets, but to me it's hilarious. I would trade Pennington for Young straight up if I had the choice.

Chances are the Texans will regret passing Young greatly. Carr is an okay QB, but the difference between talent on the Texans and Titans isn't great enough to justify a 3 win season. VY has shown he's a winner, probably the most important trait for any QB. You simply can not coach intangibles. The technique will be drilled into the guy, and he has the physical tools and determination to succeed. I simply don't understand all the hate the guy gets, but to me it's hilarious. I would trade Pennington for Young straight up if I had the choice.

That goes without saying.

Vince had a nice day last week, but let's not get too enamored with him yet. His 'intangibles' have been disguised as opponents TOs and special teams play. This guy has had trouble hitting 50% of his passes. The only difference between him and Vick is the Titans have eeked out some wins.

That goes without saying.

Vince had a nice day last week, but let's not get too enamored with him yet. His 'intangibles' have been disguised as opponents TOs and special teams play. This guy has had trouble hitting 50% of his passes. The only difference between him and Vick is the Titans have eeked out some wins.

agreed, vince & company were shut down against a team missing 6 defensive starters for all but 9.5 minutes of the game. huge momentum swings with picks etc turned it into a totally unconventional football game that I deem a fluke.

carr will fair better in the long run imo. agreeing with you does give me pause for concern though ;)

other joe, thats vida guerro there's a huuuuuuuuge thread on her in the lounge. do yourself a favor & find it

I'm not big on Young. But the guy is clearly an elite athlete, even within a professional sport filled with elite athletes. And he does appear to have the leadership qualities requisite for being a top QB.

Whether that can be harnessed to turn him into a real passer remains to be seen. So far he's a lousy QB and supposedly has way below-average intelligence (particularly for a QB). But he is still a rookie like 9 games into his career, and some guys who lack book-smarts do have game-smarts.

With his skills, if he turns into a legit passer, the Titans have themselves a McNabb, Cunningham, or possibly a Tarkenton or Elway or Steve Young. If not, they've got a more durable but slower Michael Vick, or maybe a Culpepper minus the cannon arm, or a bigger Mark Brunell.

Given the Titans' considerable investment in him (draft position and cap #), he'll get every opportunity & benefit of the doubt. If he doesn't succeed or rise to their expected levels, it won't be from a lack of opportunity.

The "winner" thing is a bit much at this point. Shaun King & Quincy Carter were "winners" at early points in their careers as well.

hey by the way Vince Young has won 4 games, Carr has won 3 - Young's passer rating is in the mid sixites.

Let's not pour his bust for canton just yet.

Weren't you a big David Carr guy?

Yes, but how many years can you keep giving the guy a free pass?

And this year is a perfect example.

He has a very good QB rating, but has consistently screwed up in many 3rd down situations and can't make the big throw when the Texans need it.

When all is said and done, I think Vince Young will be the better QB.

Archived