Jets Extend Bryan Thomas

shutout

With this re-signing and the hopefull re-signing of Hobson to come soon it looks like the OLB position is off the 1st day draft board at positions to look at.

Good re-signing. BT has always played well against the run and lately he's finally getting that pass rush into his game.

5 years-$25 mill, great deal, I love it, welcome to no longer being a bust BT!:cheers:

With this re-signing and the hopefull re-signing of Hobson to come soon it looks like the OLB position is off the 1st day draft board at positions to look at.

Good re-signing. BT has always played well against the run and lately he's finally getting that pass rush into his game.

5 years-$25 mill, great deal, I love it, welcome to no longer being a bust BT!:cheers:

They won't need to address OLB when they bring Adalius Thomas here.

They won't need to address OLB when they bring Adalius Thomas here.

Get over Adalius Thomas, he's not coming.

Thomas & Hobson are a good duo, no need to break the bank for Thomas.

We have MUCH BIGGER concerns.

how do you know he's not coming? he fits into this system perfectly and we have the cap room.

He isn't a need, he's a want, we need the cap room for other things such as possibly Michael Turner, Cornerback, Defensive Line depth, Offensive Line depth, Wide Receiver (McCareins is out and Dwight probably as well even though he's played well the past few games).

He isn't a need, he's a want, we need the cap room for other things such as possibly Michael Turner, Cornerback, Defensive Line depth, Offensive Line depth, Wide Receiver (McCareins is out and Dwight probably as well even though he's played well the past few games).

I'd MUCH rather give a big contract to Thomas then ANY RB. Address that through the draft. Their arn't any good corner FA's and the same goes for DL depth that isn't over pirced. Thomas would have the biggest impact on the team right away of any FA.

5 years 25 mill for BT? I dunno, I guess its a solid deal. Alittle steep?

As for our FA. We need to fill 2 holes, at least. Whatever those holes may be. We need to fill 2 holes. Hopefully a CB like clements and an OLB like adalius thomas, that would free us up to really go bap in the draft.

Guys, remember it's 9 mil guarenteed and "up to" 25 million. That means all kinds of incentives and extra paychecks for pro-bowl appearances, sack totals, etc... If BT were to max out his contract at $25 million, it will mean he's playing like a guy who's worth $ 25 million.

Guys, remember it's 9 mil guarenteed and "up to" 25 million. That means all kinds of incentives and extra paychecks for pro-bowl appearances, sack totals, etc... If BT were to max out his contract at $25 million, it will mean he's playing like a guy who's worth $ 25 million.

:) :) yep!

Only thing I don't know about Thomas is his non-sack tackling. I assume it to be good, but frankly I don't study the Ravens enough to know about his run play specifically, or his coverage skills either. I know he can rush the passer as an OLB. Anyone here really familiar with Adalius Thomas' run-play? I know the Ravens are stout in this area, but right now he's a 4-3 DE and they have that monster Ngata in there.

Hobson - if covering a TE - is dwarfed by 100% of the TE's in the league at 6'0; though he's been good vs the run an also in getting to the QB for a guy who isn't really fast.

On the flip-side, Thomas is only 6'2 himself and will be 30 years old at the start of the 2007 season (Hobson turns 27 in February). 30 is not old, but maybe too old to give the gigantic contract he'll command in FA. So over the next couple of years he may need to trim down from his 270-lb playing weight to retain his current speed.

Tough call. He had 8 and 9 sacks playing OLB in '04-'05 and has 9 sacks through 13 games this year. He would likely stand to make a lot of money as a pass-rushing DE who (likely) isn't a 1-dimensional player like Abraham/Freeney, given his size.

My guess is we retain Hobson. I'm sure we're going to address DE in Kimo's spot. It's a lot better for continuity to replace 1 member of the front-seven than two.

So while I was big on A.Thomas a month ago, I'm not 100% sure anymore given Hobson's play and Thomas' age.

Coach Mangini loves Hobson.

I love Hobson.

He plays with incredible speed, and wil only get better.

A. Thomas won't be coming here.

No need, Mangini only signed vets into the 3-4 system (kimo, hamilton).

I think this is his style.

He built the rest (is building) with his own youth that will last.

Coach Mangini loves Hobson.

I love Hobson.

He plays with incredible speed, and wil only get better.

A. Thomas won't be coming here.

No need, Mangini only signed vets into to the 3-4 system (kimo, hamilton).

He built the rest (is building) with his own youth that will last.

Agreed.

I love Hobson too.

Had his jersey personalized as a rookie and he signed it at the practice at the Meadowlands earlier this season, I'm going to get a replacement for Xmas or with Xmas $$$. Can't wait. Hobson baby. U OF M ALUM:yahoo:

Hobson is playing good, but he gets destroyed by tight ends on run plays. I mean he gets flat out mauled. He's too short and not strong enough.

We need a beast of a 3-4 OLB. BT is solid on the other end, but we need a joey porter/ware/merriman type.

Hobson is playing good, but he gets destroyed by tight ends on run plays. I mean he gets flat out mauled. He's too short and not strong enough.

We need a beast of a 3-4 OLB. BT is solid on the other end, but we need a joey porter/ware/merriman type.

Why not get an LT type back too.

We sure could use that to propel our running game.

i cant believe the sudden love for thomas around here. well ok, he has been getting better but its funny as hell

as for me DK-I've always seen BT as the antithesis of John Abraham-who he was compared to early on and when he was first drafted-by some anyway.But he has never complained once since he became a Jet-Shaun Ellis too-glad to have these kinds of guys on MY team and not the kind of players oh say the Giants have on THEIR line-guys who do jump shots after tackles-I really hate that stuff

as for me DK-I've always seen BT as the antithesis of John Abraham-who he was compared to early on and when he was first drafted-by some anyway.But he has never complained once since he became a Jet-Shaun Ellis too-glad to have these kinds of guys on MY team and not the kind of players oh say the Giants have on THEIR line-guys who do jump shots after tackles-I really hate that stuff

Shaun Ellis is the man.

That San Diego playoff game.

Damn

I don't want to sit here and nit-pick at Bryan Thomas' contract figures, but this seems to be a little bit pricy for a guy who's had 8 good games in his career. I know that his play has improved significantly since shifting to the 3-4, but $25 million is a lot of cash to throw at someone who was considered a bust up until November of '06.

With that being said, locking him up long-term in mid-season is a smart decision. As of December 1st, 2006, did the Jets overpay for Bryan Thomas? Yes, without a doubt. BUT, if I look at this contract January 1st, 2007, things could look a lot different, especially if Thomas' sack totals reach double digits.

Overall, good move. I wish we could have gotten him for a bit cheaper, but I like the move. Thomas just has to continue to earn that paycheck.

I don't want to sit here and nit-pick at Bryan Thomas' contract figures, but this seems to be a little bit pricy for a guy who's had 8 good games in his career. I know that his play has improved significantly since shifting to the 3-4, but $25 million is a lot of cash to throw at someone who was considered a bust up until November of '06.

With that being said, locking him up long-term in mid-season is a smart decision. As of December 1st, 2006, did the Jets overpay for Bryan Thomas? Yes, without a doubt. BUT, if I look at this contract January 1st, 2007, things could look a lot different, especially if Thomas' sack totals reach double digits.

Overall, good move. I wish we could have gotten him for a bit cheaper, but I like the move. Thomas just has to continue to earn that paycheck.

It did seem a little pricey, but with the cap going up to $110M next year (like $15M+ more than the 2005 season), the salaries are only going up.

Just wanted to bump this up for the last 2 posts from Sperm and Westchester...although I'd feel much better about the contract if one of the Cap guys (AEC) could get a hold of the actual #s so we'll know for sure what the contract is actually worth.

Couple of thoughts. If this was done at the right price I am very happy. Also with the current regime in place I have no doubt it was done at the right price.

5.5 sacks, can anyone imagine what Bradway would have paid for that?

No doubt. Bradway was not a good negotiator. But his draft picks are starting to look better...

Archived