The 1st Annual JetsNation.com Official Draft Day Thread.....

JonEJet

Yes, Baas will help in the pass protection, but isn't he also being brought in to jumpstart the running game? I doubt Mike Nolan is not going to give up on Kevan Barlow and the inside-the-tackles running game, IMO, so Baas seems to be most needed there.

BTW-What is the status of Julian Peterson now?

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Understand this though, Mankins is exactly what BB wants in his O-linemen.

He played LT and RT in college and most project him as a guard in the NFL.... he's versatile.

He's also light and a sound technician--- take a look at the Pats O line sometime, they're all under 315, and mosstly in the 300-310 range. BB doesn't look for the 340 lb hogs. He wants light, mean, fundamentally sound guys.

Furthermore Mankins has the right attitude and was coached by a BB disciple, Pat Hill, who no doubt gave BB a good read on the guys character.

I still am a bit baffled by the pick.... but if BB was going to select an OL not named Khalif Barnes, it's very understandable that this would be the guy.

He played LT and RT in college and most project him as a guard in the NFL.... he's versatile.

He's also light and a sound technician--- take a look at the Pats O line sometime, they're all under 315, and mosstly in the 300-310 range. BB doesn't look for the 340 lb hogs. He wants light, mean, fundamentally sound guys.

Furthermore Mankins has the right attitude and was coached by a BB disciple, Pat Hill, who no doubt gave BB a good read on the guys character.

I still am a bit baffled by the pick.... but if BB was going to select an OL not named Khalif Barnes, it's very understandable that this would be the guy.

RS, it was a good pick. The only thing is, he could have probably been had later on. Otherwise, he should have a solid career.

Possibly you are correct but according to your ABC's of being a GM you could of moved down and got your guy.

No one is going to sit here and argue whether a guy who hasnt played yet will be good or not. He might be a HOF'er, he also might bust.

Were all saying that BB reached, thats all. Wouldnt you agree?

eLOT

Bellichek is on now explaining his pick: Good Player, Position Flexabillity, good system, good program, has what he likes in O-Linemen.

His goal on day 1 is "letting the board come to him in terms of movement, take best player who's there, work for the short term and long term"

Teddy Brushci was brought up, Bili didn't comment on it.

Talked a little about Eric Mangini as new Co.

Bellichek is on now explaining his pick: Good Player, Position Flexabillity, good system, good program, has what he likes in O-Linemen.

His goal on day 1 is "letting the board come to him in terms of movement, take best player who's there, work for the short term and long term"

Teddy Brushci was brought up, Bili didn't comment on it.

Talked a little about Eric Mangini as new Co.

How did I fall asleep for 3 minutes there? Some kind of drone

I swear to all that is right and just, if justin miller slips to 38 I will beat the crap outa terry bradway before he dies.

No you won't. I hope Miller slides to #47 and we still don't take him just to see how pissed off you get.

No one is going to sit here and argue whether a guy who hasnt played yet will be good or not. He might be a HOF'er, he also might bust.

Were all saying that BB reached, thats all. Wouldnt you agree?

Yeah.. I can see Jolley and this Guy getting

inducted into the HOF the same Year!! =D>

Oh it's absolutely a reach--- Belichick usually reaches actually. Ty Warren, Deion Branch, Bethel Johnson, Ben Watson.... all reaches in the first two rounds for BB by most peoples draftbooks.

I don't quibble with reaching for a guy if you reach for the right guy--- the Bengals reached for Levi Jones but in retrospect it was a fine move. The Colts reached for Freeney and it was also a fine move.

Belichick has shown he usually knows what he's doing so I shut the hell up usually and don't worry as to whether we jumped the gun on Branch or Mankins.

But yes, it's absolutely a reach.

Oh it's absolutely a reach--- Belichick usually reaches actually. Ty Warren, Deion Branch, Bethel Johnson, Ben Watson.... all reaches in the first two rounds for BB by most peoples draftbooks.

I don't quibble with reaching for a guy if you reach for the right guy--- the Bengals reached for Levi Jones but in retrospect it was a fine move. The Colts reached for Freeney and it was also a fine move.

Belichick has shown he usually knows what he's doing so I shut the hell up usually and don't worry as to whether we jumped the gun on Branch or Mankins.

But yes, it's absolutely a reach.

The point REMAINS-could they not have drafted the same player later and converted the pick into something more?

It is ultra nitpicky comment, but based on some of the comments here the last couple of days, one that needs to be asked :D

Archived