Phil Simms on the Jets

GimmeShelter

Surprising Jets are the real deal

By Phil Simms

Special to NFL.com

(Dec. 6, 2006) -- Back in early August, I was sitting with a group of CBS Sports analysts and a bunch of reporters at the annual CBS Sports media day in New York City. A local writer was looking for comments from the so-called experts about one of the local teams.

His question: Do any of you think the New York Jets have any chance to have a winning record?

Not surprisingly, not one of us would make that case. Not me. Not Boomer Esiason. Not Dan Marino. Not Jim Nantz. Nobody.

Here's what I did say at the time: The Jets can be happy if they have the kind of season the Miami Dolphins had in 2005. If they can show they are organized, that they have an overall plan under new head coach Eric Mangini, that's what you hope for as a Jets fan.

So what happens? The Jets get off to a good start. "Big deal," I thought at the time. They matched up well with some teams -- beat the Titans, Lions, whoever. They were finding a way to beat the teams they had a chance to beat.

But as I was getting ready to broadcast the Dolphins-Jets game in Week 6, I was watching film and remember thinking that they didn't look very good on either side of the ball. I thought there was no way they could improve that dramatically.

I was wrong.

Things are looking up for the Jets under head coach Eric Mangini.

The Jets have improved a little bit almost every week. And when a team starts having some success, you begin to see the good things a little more clearly. Now you look at the Jets and say, well, they've got some good receivers on offense. They've got an experienced, successful quarterback and a solid offensive line. There are some nice players on defense -- Kerry Rhodes is turning into a star at safety. Bryan Thomas at linebacker, and some other players are showing they can be part of the core. All of a sudden, the team catches your eye.

I did their game last week against the Packers. And after watching film in preparation for that game, I had to laugh -- I couldn't believe it was the same Jets team we had watched six weeks ago.

And one last point about this team. I want to say the Jets have caught the fever -- but I'm not going to say that. I think what I mean to say is that they're in a good rhythm. They have a quiet confidence, and they present a lot of problems for almost anyone they play because they are extremely diverse on both sides of the ball. They seem to be methodically going through the weeks, just waiting for the next opponent.

In a town where the other football team has become the New York Yankees -- the Giants seem to make the back-page headlines for some reason or another every day -- we're just now noticing what the Jets have done. I'm not crazy about making predictions, but they are going to be a tough out these last four weeks of the season

Sims was making comments the entire game about this. I find it odd that Sims usually has nice things to say about the Jets. He is almost loyal to them for some reason. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but he will never outright dog the Jets. I am not complaining by any means; the Jets take enough criticism as it is, but it just seems weird I guess.

Gotta disagree, Ryno. He was right up our butts when Parcells was here, but dissed the Jets PLENTY after that. It's nice to hear this take from him, now.

The Parcells era seems so long ago, but I could understand him being a little jealous of his daddy coaching somewhere else. I guess with Sims' boyish blonde hair and charming good looks, I must only see the kindness in him...

Dear Phil :

I know you are an ex-QB from the other team in our city and I know your heart is with that team as well, BUT.......It's not to late Brother to cross over to the Green side of the city. We can always use an Undercover Jets fan on Prime Time ,if you know what I mean.;)

But ,If you DON'T Want to be an undercover Jets fan ,Then don't jump on our banwagon Now!!! after you said we weren't going anywhere this year like the rest of the so called "Experts" So please Get Off or We will Push you Off .

P.s. Put your blue Glasses back on... your making all the Gints fans Sick

Yours Truly,

The Inventor of Hater-ade

Gotta disagree, Ryno. He was right up our butts when Parcells was here, but dissed the Jets PLENTY after that. It's nice to hear this take from him, now.

I completely disagree. Phil Simms has only been one thing in his career as an announcer and analyst-objective. When Phil Simms dogs a player or a team, there is generally a good reason for it. Conversely, when he gives praise, there is generally a good reason for it. He doesn't make crap up just for the sake of hearing himslef talk, and I for one feel he is by far and away the best out there as an analyst and as an announcer. Years from now, Simms will be just like Madden, a guy who had a very respectable NFL career but will be remembered for his work in the booth./

I completely disagree. Phil Simms has only been one thing in his career as an announcer and analyst-objective. When Phil Simms dogs a player or a team, there is generally a good reason for it. Conversely, when he gives praise, there is generally a good reason for it. He doesn't make crap up just for the sake of hearing himslef talk, and I for one feel he is by far and away the best out there as an analyst and as an announcer. Years from now, Simms will be just like Madden, a guy who had a very respectable NFL career but will be remembered for his work in the booth./

Simms is one of my favorite guys in the booth nowadays, like you said doesn't bs you with garbage and just tells it like he sees it. For example, the monday night crew has repeatedly backed up officials when the call on the field was clearly wrong and they come off as just fake. Simms would actually say something like "awwwhhh, man . . . that was a terrible call and at this stage of the game . . . " That's why I like Simms, he doesn't kiss anybody's ass.

Simms is one of my favorite guys in the booth nowadays, like you said doesn't bs you with garbage and just tells it like he sees it. For example, the monday night crew has repeatedly backed up officials when the call on the field was clearly wrong and they come off as just fake. Simms would actually say something like "awwwhhh, man . . . that was a terrible call and at this stage of the game . . . " That's why I like Simms, he doesn't kiss anybody's ass.

I agree. Simms is my favourite guy in the booth. He is always prepared and does a great job.

Damn. This thread is turning into a Phil Simms love-in!

I agree. Simms is my favourite guy in the booth. He is always prepared and does a great job.

Damn. This thread is turning into a Phil Simms love-in!

Yeah, I need to go to another thread. Too much Simms-love shooting around in here. (I think someone even mentioned his blonde hair:eek:)

I agree with the three guys above here...Simms is the best on that station at least.You know who else is getting pretty good? Believe it or not Dan Marino-he's taking the Simms approach now-it's a pleasant surprise really...

Good call, Marino has definitely been kissing less ass with his comments and started really just throwing the stuff he actually believes out there.

Please, no one mention his hair otherwise I'm going to have to find a new message board.;)

Good call, Marino has definitely been kissing less ass with his comments and started really just throwing the stuff he actually believes out there.

Please, no one mention his hair otherwise I'm going to have to find a new message board.;)

the blind Dolphins homer-ism is subsiding with the years he is out of the league.He's said some good things about a certain QB well,some of us still love

the blind Dolphins homer-ism is subsiding with the years he is out of the league.He's said some good things about a certain QB well,some of us still love

Marino is getting better, but Boomer owns him on the pregame show!

Archived