Art Shell fired...

SoFlaJets

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Profootballtalk.com reports the Raiders will fire Art Shell Thursday.

No confirmation elsewhere, but the move is expected to be announced Thursday. NFL Network's Adam Schefter reported that this would occur in December. FOXSports.com's John Czarnecki said Shell might be hired on as general manager, which seems like a less-than-perfect solution. Change for change's sake is never good, but Shell's offense wasn't going to work. Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan could be a candidate, but a coach with an offensive background makes more sense. Jan. 4 - 1:25 pm et

Mike Martz if he doesn't take the Arizona job.

Fassel

Who the F knows. It is almost pick you poison. Work for Al Davis or Bidwell. Which would you choose. Both suck.

Why in the hell would Martz go from bad to worse? Or, in this case, from worse to abysmal? Actually, it's abysmal to desolate, but that's besides the point.

Arizona is an offensive and defensive line away from being good... just like they were 6 years ago.

and the Lions plain suck.

Martz should either take the year off or just stay and the coordinator.

And I formally take my name out of the running for the Raiders job. And the Cardinals job.

Ryan...I don't know. I see it as lose-lose (unless we happen to win a superbowl next year because of him):

- if our defense sucks it was a bad hire

- if our defense is good or great, someone will hire him away as HC after doing a decent job with Oakland & then with the Jets after that.

why would we want RYAN...

SUTTONs 1st year..give em a chance

I'm pretty sure they wanted Ryan in the first place, but Oakland wouldn't let us interview him. You think Sutton can't be improved upon? Only reason to hang onto Sutton over Ryan is that Sutton probably isn't going to be gunning for a head job. Another year or two of good D and Ryan will be offered a head job somewhere. Who knows, maybe Davis will give him a bump.

My favorite part is in bold:

"Ryan left the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots two short years ago to work under Norv Turner as the defensive coordinator of the Oakland Raiders . Son of NFL coaching legend Buddy Ryan, Ryan implemented a 3-4 defensive scheme in his rookie season, but the unit lacked the personnel necessary to operate efficiently in that set. In his next season, Ryan moved back into a 4-3 system that improved greatly, considering injuries to starters Charles Woodson, Derrick Gibson, and Warren Sapp and the profusion of inexperience on the Oakland Raiders ' defense-particularly in the secondary."

- from www.realfootball365.com

why would we want RYAN...

SUTTONs 1st year..give em a chance

Well, he was the first choice for the job and the Raiders were third in the league in defense under him. Sutton will stay on under Ryan, too. Ryan would also complete our "all kid" staff and he is friends with Mangini and Tannenbaum.

Archived