Asante Samuel?

MikeJetsWord

I really want this guy on the team.

With him and Dyson starting at CB, plus Rhodes and Coleman at the safety spots, we would have a very solid secondary.

But, Do you guys really think that we are going to spend money on him, I mean granted this is not the same FO that fecked us over in years past, but will we actually go out and spend money on proven talent?

What do you guys think?

I personally think Samuel may get signed because of the New England connection - but I do not see us going after a ton of free agents. I think the Jets will get more middle of the road free agent guys that will come in to compete for a job along with good drafts and maybe a trade or two.

I personally think Samuel may get signed because of the New England connection - but I do not see us going after a ton of free agents. I think the Jets will get more middle of the road free agent guys that will come in to compete for a job along with good drafts and maybe a trade or two.

I agree with that. All I really want out of FA is Samuel, and I think you're right, the New England connection will probably be why we will get him, if we do.

I posted this in another thread, but I'd like to get Samuel, Adalius Thomas, and maybe Leonard Davis if we could reasonably sign all three. I'm sure Tannenbaum could work it out.

Those three would be HUGE additions... throw terdell sands into that mix

They get some playmakers on defense..

I'm tired of seeing the Jets lose free agents and players and never really get anything in return...

The Jets defense needs playmakers... Depth is nice if your the Pats, but depth is somethign you build along with your great players. Right now this defense needs a hole lot of players to get better.,

I think Samuel is overrated.

He is not terrible - but I do not think he is shut down either. A lot of WR's took him to school this year and he struggled bad against elite WR's like Javon Walker. Still I could see the Jets going hard after him because he is a Mangini guy. But it starts with a pass rush. If you have a good pass rush Mangini himself could get out there and play the flats effectively.

Unless the Pats tag him - Samuel will not be a Patriot next year. He would be an excellent pick-up for the Jets - he knows the system well and has worked with Mangini. Unbeknownst to many people - Samuel is also quite the vocal leader in the loceker room and he has officially become a savvy veteran. Although he does not have elite CB skills - he's cerebral - Mangini loves that. I'm wondering how outrageous his asking price is going to be.

What is the NFL average salary for the top 5 CB's in the league?

Cost of a 2006 franchise tag:

Quarterback $8.8 million

Defensive End $8,332,000

Linebacker $7,169,000

Offensive Line $6.99 million

Wide Receiver $6,172,000

Running Back $6,085,000

Cornerback $5.9 million

Defensive Tackle $5,656,000

Safety $4.1 million

Tight End $3,327,000

Kicker/Punter $2.5 million

He is not terrible - but I do not think he is shut down either. A lot of WR's took him to school this year and he struggled bad against elite WR's like Javon Walker. Still I could see the Jets going hard after him because he is a Mangini guy. But it starts with a pass rush. If you have a good pass rush Mangini himself could get out there and play the flats effectively.

He's a huge upgrade regardless.

Unless the Pats tag him - Samuel will not be a Patriot next year. He would be an excellent pick-up for the Jets - he knows the system well and has worked with Mangini. Unbeknownst to many people - Samuel is also quite the vocal leader in the loceker room and he has officially become a savvy veteran. Although he does not have elite CB skills - he's cerebral - Mangini loves that. I'm wondering how outrageous his asking price is going to be.

Why don't you think he will return to the Pats?

Cost of a 2006 franchise tag:

Quarterback $8.8 million

Defensive End $8,332,000

Linebacker $7,169,000

Offensive Line $6.99 million

Wide Receiver $6,172,000

Running Back $6,085,000

Cornerback $5.9 million

Defensive Tackle $5,656,000

Safety $4.1 million

Tight End $3,327,000

Kicker/Punter $2.5 million

I would have thought the money for CB's would have been much higher.

Maybe the Pats will tag him for a year.

I would have thought the money for CB's would have been much higher.

Maybe the Pats will tag him for a year.

Again for 2006:

Cornerback Top 10 players:

Fred Smoot, Minn. $9,000,000; Sam Madison, Mia. $6,180,931; Dre' Bly, Det. $5,300,000; Ronde Barber, T.B. $5,114,000; Chris McAlister, Balt. $3,872,082; Jerry Azumah, Chi. $3,750,000; Quentin Jammer, S.D. $3,687,000; Brian Kelly, T.B. $3,636,333; Terence Newman, Dal. $3,601,237; Anthony Henry, Dal. $3,600,000

Franchise: $5,893,000 Transition: $4,774,000

Why don't you think he will return to the Pats?

The Patriots have two players under contract that are amongst the highest paid in the league: Brady and Seymour....can't see them going any higher than two. Also, with Warren's contract under review - and the way the Pats FO think they can get away with a mediocre Secondary as long as the d-line is strong - I just can't see them paying Asante top dollar. Nope.

Again for 2006:

Cornerback Top 10 players:

Fred Smoot, Minn. $9,000,000; Sam Madison, Mia. $6,180,931; Dre' Bly, Det. $5,300,000; Ronde Barber, T.B. $5,114,000; Chris McAlister, Balt. $3,872,082; Jerry Azumah, Chi. $3,750,000; Quentin Jammer, S.D. $3,687,000; Brian Kelly, T.B. $3,636,333; Terence Newman, Dal. $3,601,237; Anthony Henry, Dal. $3,600,000

Franchise: $5,893,000 Transition: $4,774,000

Sam Madison isn't a Dolphin anymore..

Archived