Sean Payton did not deserve Coach of Year

SouthernJet

This is a no brainer.

Its freakin highway robbery.

Let me start by saying he did a GREAT job and deserved to be in 2nd place to Mangini.

Saints in 2005 = 3-13

Jets in 2005 = 4-12

- slight edge Payton

Saints in 2006 = 10-6

Jets in 2006 = 10-6

- Ede Mangini based on AFC schedule

Saints in the horrendous NFC, and NFC-S

Jets in the much tougher AFC.

- advantage Mangini with the MUCH tougher schedule

Talent level. Saints have more talent at skill positions than Jets.

- Edge Mangini . Getting same record with tougher scheule with lesser players.

This was a total political statement about the NFL and hard hit New Orleans.

Payton did a great job, but he outpointed Mangini 44 to 3. Thats absurd.

44-3 is a joke, however, so is saying that Payton did not deserve it. Both of them deserved it. Could not go wrong either way. Payton gutted that team even more than Mangini gutted ours. Roughly half their roster from a year ago is no longer there. He did a fantastic job.

44-3 is a joke, however, so is saying that Payton did not deserve it. Both of them deserved it. Could not go wrong either way. Payton gutted that team even more than Mangini gutted ours. Roughly half their roster from a year ago is no longer there. He did a fantastic job.

who said he didnt do a great job?

but mangini with AFC tougher schedule and same 10-6 record did better.

Plus look at the offensive firepower on New Orleans.

Brees, Colston, Horn, McCallister, Bush.

#1 who really cares who gets this award, best dressed coach, coach with the biggest house etc.

#2 payton took a typically terrible team & got them to a bye week in the playoffs. Good for n'orleans cause it doesn't mean diddly to me

doesnt mean much to me also. but as tuna said 'it is what it is'..

and since they do have the vote , its a sham to be outvoted 44-3. Very political.

doesnt mean much to me also. but as tuna said 'it is what it is'..

and since they do have the vote , its a sham to be outvoted 44-3. Very political.

wow I didn't realize the count was 44-3. seems lopsided but I really think even bz woulda voted for payton.

I'm much happier with Mangini as our head coach with no question at all.

Carl Banks too Gary Myers to town on this when Gary told him he voted for Sean. Banks said Katrina shouldn't be part of this. And he is right. It is about what happened on the field.

That being said I am sure Mangini isn't losing sleep over this. That is what makes him a great coach. And good for New Orleans. They do deserve a break, so I don't have a huge problem with Mangini getting snubbed.

Totally irrelevent. This "talent" that everyone points to is Brees, Bush and Colston. This is their first year here so someone had to bring them here. That's part of being a good coach.

The bottom line is that I feel much warmer and safe inside knowing that Mangini is our coach.

I wouldn't be able to say the same for Payton, even if he led us to this exact point.

Eric has shown that a team can overcome its weaknesses with hard work.

HARD WORK.

who said he didnt do a great job?

but mangini with AFC tougher schedule and same 10-6 record did better.

Plus look at the offensive firepower on New Orleans.

Brees, Colston, Horn, McCallister, Bush.

Colston was a 7th round rookie. Payton deserves some credit for his success, as well as having the balls to trade their best receiver in training camp and start Colston in the first place. Three of the players you listed weren't on the roster last season. They are "Payton guys".

The Jets played the easiest schedule in the league, AFC or not. Both coaches are deserving, but to say Mangini got robbed is an over-statement. The 44-3 margin was bull****, but Payton did deserve the award as much as Mangini did.

Totally irrelevent. This "talent" that everyone points to is Brees, Bush and Colston. This is their first year here so someone had to bring them here. That's part of being a good coach.

Yea Deuce sucks. Their whole D-line is not really any good (Grant, Young, and Will Smith). Plus they have no talent on their O-line like Faine.

Alk, paint thinner...bad.

Yea Deuce sucks. Their whole D-line is not really any good (Grant, Young, and Will Smith). Plus they have no talent on their O-line like Faine.

Alk, paint thinner...bad.

Well you know, the Jets were more talented than the Patriots for years according to you people. So how can one truly judge talent to begin with?

Well you know, the Jets were more talented than the Patriots for years according to you people. So how can one truly judge talent to begin with?

Give me a specific year we said that? BTW as has been proven over and over and as recently as the 2006 Jets talent or there lack of doesn't always dictate success level.

Colston was a 7th round rookie. Payton deserves some credit for his success, as well as having the balls to trade their best receiver in training camp and start Colston in the first place. Three of the players you listed weren't on the roster last season. They are "Payton guys".

The Jets played the easiest schedule in the league, AFC or not. Both coaches are deserving, but to say Mangini got robbed is an over-statement. The 44-3 margin was bull****, but Payton did deserve the award as much as Mangini did.

wrong on BOTH counts.

You say easiest schedule, nut you cant use records since AFC much harder. a 6-10 team in AFC could be superior to a 9-7 NFC team.

And as far as player aquistion, thats a GM award, not a HC award.

This is a no brainer.

Its freakin highway robbery.

Let me start by saying he did a GREAT job and deserved to be in 2nd place to Mangini.

Saints in 2005 = 3-13

Jets in 2005 = 4-12

- slight edge Payton

Saints in 2006 = 10-6

Jets in 2006 = 10-6

- Ede Mangini based on AFC schedule

Saints in the horrendous NFC, and NFC-S

Jets in the much tougher AFC.

- advantage Mangini with the MUCH tougher schedule

This was a total political statement about the NFL and hard hit New Orleans.

Payton did a great job, but he outpointed Mangini 44 to 3. Thats absurd.

I think you have some vaild points except for schedule strength. The Jets played a powder puff schedule. The NFC is awful, but New Orleans still had a tougher schedule. The Jets played three winning teams all season, and played only two winning teams in the last 12 weeks of the year.

I wouldn't have a problem with them giving Mangini the award. I think it was 1 and 1A with he and Payton. I also think Mike Nolan did a great job and was hardly considered.

wrong on BOTH counts.

You say easiest schedule, nut you cant use records since AFC much harder. a 6-10 team in AFC could be superior to a 9-7 NFC team.

And as far as player aquistion, thats a GM award, not a HC award.

Payton has as much control over the players that New Orleans brings in as Mangini has over the ones that we bring in. I see you use the phrase "Mangini guy" all the time, as if you think that Mangini is the only head coach that has input as to who a team signs/drafts.

The only logical beef that can be had with this is the vote. Crying about Payton winning it over Mangini is unjustified. It was a toss-up.

I think you have some vaild points except for schedule strength. The Jets played a powder puff schedule. The NFC is awful, but New Orleans still had a tougher schedule. The Jets played three winning teams all season, and played only two winning teams in the last 12 weeks of the year.

I wouldn't have a problem with them giving Mangini the award. I think it was 1 and 1A with he and Payton. I also think Mike Nolan did a great job and was hardly considered.

woul dthose teams have been 8-8 in the NFC?

Would the 8-8, 9-7 teams NOplayed be over .500 in the AFC?

YOu cant look at records ewhen comparing conferences for SOS

Payton has as much control over the players that New Orleans brings in as Mangini has over the ones that we bring in. I see you use the phrase "Mangini guy" all the time, as if you think that Mangini is the only head coach that has input as to who a team signs/drafts.

The only logical beef that can be had with this is the vote. Crying about Payton winning it over Mangini is unjustified. It was a toss-up.

well i dont see it as a tossup. i see it as mangini favorite by small margin.

tuffer conference, same record

You had a feeling Sean was going to get it because of Hurricane Katrina and it was a feel good story. Though, imo it was a slap in the face to our whole franchise for him to win by 41 votes. If Hurricane Katrina didn't happen Erik would have won by 8-9 votes.

BINGO

well i dont see it as a tossup. i see it as mangini favorite by small margin.

tuffer conference, same record

New Orleans would have went 11-5 had they not played a meaningless game in which they rested their starters week 17.

They were also 3-13 last year, which means they had a 7 game improvement, compared to our 6.

thats sorta my point. i said payton did great BUT........

I'm with you on that mate.

Did the "voters" even watch any Jets games? The Jets had to pretty much run the table at the end of the season to even make the playoffs while the Saints won the NFC South and clinched a bye while losing at home.

Archived