Mike MacIntyre hired as secondary coach

Untouchable

IRVING -- Cowboys safeties coach Mike MacIntyre is the latest member of the staff to leave for another job.

MacIntyre, whose contract expired with the Cowboys, is joining the New Yorks Jets as secondary coach after spending the past four years with the Cowboys.

MacIntrye is the seventh member from the 2006 staff to leave. The others are defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer (Atlanta), special teams coach Bruce DeHaven (Seattle), offensive quality control coach David Lee (University of Arkansas), quarterbacks coach Cris Palmer (New York Giants), passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach Todd Haley (Arizona), and running backs coach Anthony Lynn (Cleveland).

Head coach Bill Parcells retired.

Here's some more info

MacIntyre Bio:

Mike MacIntyre will serve as the Cowboys assistant secondary coach after spending the past four seasons on the Ole Miss coaching staff. In Dallas, MacIntyre will work closely with defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer in preparing the club's secondary for action.

MacIntyre spent the last four seasons at Mississippi, working two years as wide receivers coach (1999-2000) before moving over to coach the secondary (2001-2002). He was also the Rebels' recruiting coordinator. In 2002, his work in the secondary helped Ole Miss to a 7-6 record, including a win over Nebraska in the Independence Bowl. His troops saw their interception total increase from 12 in 2001 to 17 in 2002. In addition, his defensive backs played a pivotal role in the team's rush defense as strong safety Matt Grier led the team with 12.5 tackles for a loss and 4.0 sacks. Sophomore free safety Eric Oliver posted the highest single-season tackle total since 1994 with 129 stops. During his first season working with the secondary, Ole Miss ranked first in the SEC and fifth in the nation in pass defense, giving up just 161.3 yards-per-game.

MacIntyre coached two of the top receivers - Cory Peterson and Grant Heard - in Ole Miss history during his first two seasons with the Rebels. In the 1999 campaign, Peterson caught 46 passes to finish his career second on Mississippi's all-time receptions list. The following year, Heard not only passed Peterson, but also became the school's all-time receptions leader, hauling in 44 passes for 655 yards and a school-record tying nine touchdowns. Heard finished his collegiate career with 142 receptions for 2,029 yards (second best mark in school history) and a school record 16 touchdowns.

MacIntyre joined the Rebels staff after two seasons coaching defensive backs at Temple University (1997-98). Prior to that, he was at the University of Tennessee-Martin, where he served as co-defensive coordinator from 1993-95 and defensive coordinator in 1996. MacIntyre added recruiting coordinator duties in 1994 and became the assistant head coach in 1995. While with UT-Martin, MacIntyre served as a guest defensive backs coach with the Memphis Mad Dogs (1995) and with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1996) of the Canadian Football League.

MacIntyre began his coaching career with a two-year stint (1990-91) as a graduate assistant at Georgia, working with the Bulldogs secondary. He then spent one year as the defensive coordinator at Davidson College (1992). During his time at Davidson, MacIntyre also served as a guest summer coach with the Deggendorf Blackhawks in Deggendorf, Germany in the summers of 1992 and 1993.

A 1989 graduate of Georgia Tech with a bachelor's degree in business management, MacIntyre played two seasons (1986-88) at free safety and punt returner for the Yellow Jackets. Prior to attending Georgia Tech, MacIntyre played for two years at Vanderbilt (1984-85).

MacIntyre earned his master's degree in education with an emphasis on sports management from the University of Georgia in 1991.

MacIntyre grew up around the game of football as his father, George, served as the defensive coordinator at Ole Miss in 1978, before taking over as Vanderbilt's head coach from 1979-85.

Born March 14, 1965, in Miami, Fla., MacIntyre starred at Brentwood Academy in Nashville, Tenn. He and his wife, Trisha, have three children, daughter Jennifer (2/23/92) and sons Jay Michael (4/9/95) and Jonston (11/22/98).

Jerome Henderson, the Jets director of player development, will now also have the additional duties of assistant DB coach.

So we had to bring in two guys to replace Corwin, and it's still quite possibly a downgrade. Dallas' pass defense has been up and down the last 4 years under Mc, but there are always different factors involved in that. Still, it doesnt seem like we are getting a stud to replace Brown.

So we had to bring in two guys to replace Corwin, and it's still quite possibly a downgrade. Dallas' pass defense has been up and down the last 4 years under Mc, but there are always different factors involved in that. Still, it doesnt seem like we are getting a stud to replace Brown.

Considering Mangini was a DB coach himself you can add him into the mix and I think we are ok.

We got the cowboys safeties coach :character42:

I'm not one to quickly label him a sucky coach, but come onnnnnnn the cowboys safeties have been terrible!

Ah, and I just read we hired a herm strength coach? Has Terry bradway put a gun at Mangini's head, hostage situation??

We got the cowboys safeties coach :character42:

I'm not one to quickly label him a sucky coach, but come onnnnnnn the cowboys safeties have been terrible!

Ah, and I just read we hired a herm strength coach? Has Terry bradway put a gun at Mangini's head, hostage situation??

I still can't believe I got my little brother a Roy Williams jersey for xmas.

Not that anyone knows a lot about strength and conditioning coaches but I for one was impressed with the fact that we avoided a lot of major injurys this year. I attribute a lot of that to the S and C coach. Didn't Markus Paul come with Mangini from New England?

Not that anyone knows a lot about strength and conditioning coaches but I for one was impressed with the fact that we avoided a lot of major injurys this year. I attribute a lot of that to the S and C coach. Didn't Markus Paul come with Mangini from New England?

That is the first thing I thought. Why change when there were no obvious problems. Seems likes a lot of coaching turnover for a good season!

Archived