Irvin, Matthews among six voted into Hall of Fame

LockeJET

MIAMI -- Michael Irvin was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday despite a troubled past, though voters denied entry to retired NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

The former Dallas Cowboys receiver, who won three Super Bowls in the 1990s, got in on his third try.

Irvin pleaded no contest in 1996 to felony cocaine possession. Four years later, he was arrested on drug possession charges, but they were later dropped.

The 40 Hall voters were criticized by two of Irvin's former teammates, Emmitt Smith and Troy Aikman, for previously bypassing the wideout, who retired in 1999.

They didn't ignore him this time.

Tagliabue was eliminated in the first round of voting.

Also voted in were running back Thurman Thomas, offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, defensive back Roger Wehrli and two nominees of the veterans' committee -- tight end Charlie Sanders and guard Gene Hickerson.

A 40-member panel deliberated Saturday to determine who among the 17 finalists would be enshrined. Two votes were taken, reducing the finalists from 17 to 11 and then from 10 to six finalists, who were each voted on individually.

Finalists Tagliabue, Russ Grimm, Ray Guy, Bob Kuechenberg, Andre Reed and Gary Zimmerman lost out in the first reduction vote. Fred Dean, Richard Dent, Art Monk, Derrick Thomas and Andre Tippett lost out on the second reduction ballot.

Its not what you do off the field..Its what you do on it..

Irvin deserved to get in.

Over Monk? Really? It's an absolute disgrace that Irvin got into the HOF before Monk did but it was already pretty well established that the HOF is a joke anyway.

Irvin gets in mainly because he is in the mainstream media right now. You see or hear him basically everyday on the radio or on TV while Monk has quietly retired and has faded into memory.

I have a big problem with this especially since the new commisioner just spent a good part of his "State of the Union" talking about "off the field" incidients.

How Roger Wherli gets in and Ken Riley can't even get in the game is beyond me.

Thomas, Sanders, Matthews are well deserving in my eyes. I didn't see enough of Hickerson to really draw an opinion.

With crack all things are possible.

How obnoxious is he going to be on the ESPN pre-game show tomorrow?

You know he is going to be partying like a rock star tonight in South Beach with some of his former teammates from the "U"

You know he is going to be partying like a rock star tonight in South Beach with some of his former teammates from the "U"

His big mouth will take over his big head, and his eyes will COMPLETELY disappear.

8235318347710002.jpg

"I never toke before going on the air, never. See? My eyes are wide open." - Michael Irvin

Irvin over Monk is a complete ****ing joke.

When Monk retired, he was the league's all-time leading receiver. He also did all his damage with multiple QBs, winning three rings with three different QBs. Unlike Irvin, who played his entire career with a HOF QB throwing him the ball.

I'm happy for Thomas and Matthews. I am not famiiar with the other three inductees. Sanders' career numbers are very pedestrian. Different era, I guess, but from raw numbers, he doesn't belong anywhere near the HOF.

Irvin over Monk is a complete ****ing joke.

When Monk retired, he was the league's all-time leading receiver. He also did all his damage with multiple QBs, winning three rings with three different QBs. Unlike Irvin, who played his entire career with a HOF QB throwing him the ball.

I'm happy for Thomas and Matthews. I am not famiiar with the other three inductees. Sanders' career numbers are very pedestrian. Different era, I guess, but from raw numbers, he doesn't belong anywhere near the HOF.

He was the premier TE in his era.. he was great

You cannot look at stats for 60's and 70's as the game was played much

differently.

He was the premier TE in his era.. he was great

You cannot look at stats for 60's and 70's as the game was played much

differently.

Monk was WR not a TE.

Art Monk:

Among the league's all-time top 50

Receptions: 6

Receiving yards: 11

Receiving TDs: 30t

Yards from scrimmage: 32

Exactly.

I just got up and was looking forward to NFL coundown which starts at 8 AM here. Then I read this about Irvin. Better hold off on breakfast until this clown's finished patting himself on the back.

Archived