Top 5 NFL Cornerbacks....

Columbia Jet Fan

Heres my list...

1. Champ Bailey

2. DeAngelo Hall

3. Asante Samuel

4. Rashean Mathis

5. Terrance Newman

Considered: Al Harris, Nate Clements, Chris McCalister, Ronde Barber and that dude from the raiders with the funny name.... Asomungah or something like that.

Comments?

I dare someone to mention Bly here...

Champ, mccallister, winfield, samuel, clements (i forgot about mccallister when i posted before, some receivers mention him as the best, even over champ)

Namdi Asomungha? probably the best madden corner ever, i love that guy

1.Deangelo Hall

2.Ty Law

3.Champ Bailey

4.Asante Samuels

5.Dunta Robinson

I don't know why Hall is so high...His career season total for tackles is 65 and for INT's its 6...nothing special...Also Law is past his glory day...But it is beyond me how anyone can put Bailey any other number but one...

Heres my list...

1. Champ Bailey

2. DeAngelo Hall

3. Asante Samuel

4. Rashean Mathis

5. Terrance Newman

Considered: Al Harris, Nate Clements, Chris McCalister, Ronde Barber and that dude from the raiders with the funny name.... Asomungah or something like that.

Comments?

Newman has not been consistant enough to crack the top 5 just yet. This is such a hard debate though. CBs are the toughest guys to rank IMO. The stats do not reflect level of play for CBs. In fact, often enough, the great ones will not be close to top Int or passes defended #s.

1. Champ

2. Hall

3. Dunta

4. Pac-Man (It pains me to say it, but the kid has got game)

5. Harris, Clements, Mathis, etc... (a lot of guys, even Bly, could be here)

Obviously, I like the young guns, and next years list will likely include Antrel Rolle and the rookie from Clemson who plays for St. Louis. Those two are up and comers IMO.

Newman has not been consistant enough to crack the top 5 just yet. This is such a hard debate though. CBs are the toughest guys to rank IMO. The stats do not reflect level of play for CBs. In fact, often enough, the great ones will not be close to top Int or passes defended #s.

1. Champ

2. Hall

3. Dunta

4. Pac-Man (It pains me to say it, but the kid has got game)

5. Harris, Clements, Mathis, etc... (a lot of guys, even Bly, could be here)

Obviously, I like the young guns, and next years list will likely include Antrel Rolle and the rookie from Clemson who plays for St. Louis. Those two are up and comers IMO.

Pacman Jones is the turd of all turds.And a cancer as well.

I know, that's why I said it pains me to say it; however, I love it when Boomer and TJ to the "ba, ba, ba, ba" thing...it kills me! Regardless, the kidz gotz skillz..

Skills as a kick returner, didn't Coles do him up pretty good when they played the Jets? I cannot believe people are keeping McCallister off this list, he's so physical at the LOS, stopping the run, he's fast. I'd almost take him over Bailey because of his physicality (almost, not quite).

I dare someone to mention Bly here...

Champ, mccallister, winfield, samuel, clements (i forgot about mccallister when i posted before, some receivers mention him as the best, even over champ)

Namdi Asomungha? probably the best madden corner ever, i love that guy

I will. He's been the only Lion who's been worth a damn. Multi time pro bowler, a playmaker, and a great player. Yeah, he had a bad year, this year. He's not a Tampa 2 corner. That's what the Lions are playing now. Before the Lions switched to the Tampa 2, he was a top corner in the league.

I will. He's been the only Lion who's been worth a damn. Multi time pro bowler, a playmaker, and a great player. Yeah, he had a bad year, this year. He's not a Tampa 2 corner. That's what the Lions are playing now. Before the Lions switched to the Tampa 2, he was a top corner in the league.

He reminds me too much of a weaker Smoot. Not big enough to be effective against the larger receivers, nor strong enough to be a top five run stuffer. He has the speed, and agility to preform at a high level, but even that is deteriarating with his age.

Given the opportunity you would honestly take him before any CB listed on this thread? (other than law, and IMO Pacman)

1. Champ Bailey

2. Al Harris

3. Chris McAlister

4. Nate Clements

5. Antonie Winfield

6. Rasheen Mathis

7. Asante Samuel

8. Nnamdi Asomoguha

9. Ronde Barber

10. DeAngelo Hall

Just missed: Dre Bly, Dunta Robinson, Andre Dyson, Ty Law, Lito Sheppard, Terence Newman, Shawn Springs, Charles Woodson, Pacman Jones, Leigh Bodden

I don't know why Hall is so high...His career season total for tackles is 65 and for INT's its 6...nothing special...Also Law is past his glory day...But it is beyond me how anyone can put Bailey any other number but one...

I think the reason Hall's stats have been so low is b/c QBs generally do not throw the ball his way b/c he is covering his man so well. That is why I am always so skeptical when it comes to statistics for cornerbacks, if you are raking up a lot of INTs and Tackles, that means the ball is coming your way a lot, which is not necessarily what you want out of your CB. Deion Sanders did not record a tackle until his third NFL season b/c teams just would not throw the ball to his side (not too mention he WAS a HORRIBLE tackler). Corners primary job is to make sure their receiver does not touch the ball...and DeAngelo Hall is one of the best at that. If you look at like Ty Law when he was on the Jets, a lot of his INTs were when his man was open and the QB overthrew him, or when someone else on the D got a hand on the ball. Stats can be misleading when it comes to corners....

He reminds me too much of a weaker Smoot. Not big enough to be effective against the larger receivers, nor strong enough to be a top five run stuffer. He has the speed, and agility to preform at a high level, but even that is deteriarating with his age.

Given the opportunity you would honestly take him before any CB listed on this thread? (other than law, and IMO Pacman)

Yeah, I would. I've actually seen him play. Not that you have, like you admitted. He's very effective and he's a huge playmaker.

all i know is bailey is #1, deangelo "let me go for the pick on a hail mary" ranked 31st among cb's only behind fred thomas, he is horrendous to even mention him as a #1 corner is a stretch

best 5 statistically of last year ranks like this

1)Bailey

2) Asomough

3) Clements

4) Knight

5) Samuel/Multiple Browns #1 CB's

Note- Bly #7

As mentioned before, stats aren't how to judge their talent. Knight is a safety anyway.

1. Champ Bailey

2. Al Harris

3. Chris McAlister

4. Nate Clements

5. Antonie Winfield

6. Rasheen Mathis

7. Asante Samuel

8. Nnamdi Asomoguha

9. Ronde Barber

10. DeAngelo Hall

Just missed: Dre Bly, Dunta Robinson, Andre Dyson, Ty Law, Lito Sheppard, Terence Newman, Shawn Springs, Charles Woodson, Pacman Jones, Leigh Bodden

Pretty good list. I think Assante is ranked a little too high on some lists. I like him and he has always been a killer for me on Madden, but he finally had a light go on at the end of last season. Whether that light is "oh snap" my contract ends next season or he just started getting it is another matter.

With that being said, I hope and pray the Pats keep him.

Skills as a kick returner, didn't Coles do him up pretty good when they played the Jets? I cannot believe people are keeping McCallister off this list, he's so physical at the LOS, stopping the run, he's fast. I'd almost take him over Bailey because of his physicality (almost, not quite).

I take it that the only Titans game you watched this season was the first one. By the end of the season, Pac Man was BY FAR the best player on that team.

My list:

1. Champ Bailey

2. Rashean Mathis

3. DeAngelo Hall

4. Assante Samuel

5. Pac Man Jones

I take it that the only Titans game you watched this season was the first one. By the end of the season, Pac Man was BY FAR the best player on that team.

My list:

1. Champ Bailey

2. Rashean Mathis

3. DeAngelo Hall

4. Assante Samuel

5. Pac Man Jones

Yeah, i'd say you hit that nail on the head. I heard his name come up a bunch of times late in the season...i just assumed it was about drug/gun posession.

Archived