PATS TARGETING THOMAS? RUMOR

madmike1

A force my ass.

I've lived in VA my entire life where the Ravens and Skins are the cream of the NFL crop.

Adalius was a GOOD player before last season. Not elite, not spectacular, but GOOD.

Mike knows!

He's a force! Mike said so..so it must be true!

I agree UT..he's a good player on a great overall defense.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, they are going to spend money just to spend it, whether or not the player is garbage?

They spent the money because they know he's worth it, not just to spend it.

No, they actually did make a commitment to spend money this year. Not saying Thomas is garbage at all. All I'm saying is the Pats have said they will be players in free agency this offseason. You said all the PAts have spent money on is Tom Brady and that is true. But the Pats also recently said that will change.

Hey, ESPN says Ray Lewis is still ****ing awesome, so it must be true.

Why, about an hour ago, they had a graphic that said "Notable Free Agents". I am rewinding the TIVO as I type just so I can list all these "notable free agents" from the football masterminds at the World Wide Leader.

Ah, here we go. I **** you not:

Ricky Proehl

Kerry Collins

Najeh Davenport

Aaron Brooks

Morten Andersen

Mike Alstott

Bobby Engram

Once again, I **** you not.

Those are fantastic free agents!

Morten Andersen just got his AARP card. I would sign him if it was 1985.

No, they actually did make a commitment to spend money this year. Not saying Thomas is garbage at all. All I'm saying is the Pats have said they will be players in free agency this offseason. You said all the PAts have spent money on is Tom Brady and that is true. But the Pats also recently said that will change.

If thats true then arn't the Jets doing their fans a disservice by not trying to keep up with the team they have to beat anyway? Or is it just Woody Johnson not wanting to give any player a big signing bonus. Nice New York owner. raise your ticket prices then be too cheap to get the players who can really improve this team.

If thats true then arn't the Jets doing their fans a disservice by not trying to keep up with the team they have to beat anyway? Or is it just Woody Johnson not wanting to give any player a big signing bonus. Nice New York owner. raise your ticket prices then be too cheap to get the players who can really improve this team.

I don't believe Woody is cheap when it comes to free agents. I believe this is the philosophy. Look at the way the Pats were built. No high priced free agents there either.

So, they are going to spend money just to spend it, whether or not the player is garbage?

They spent the money because they know he's worth it, not just to spend it.

He's not worth it as much for us. The Patriots have the personel to maximize his abilities. Yes, he would've improved our defense and is a great player but we wouldn't be able to maximize his talents because of our weak defensive line and its not like he's young and we could build around him. He wouldn't produce nearly as much for us as he did for the Ravens. By the time we have that great defensive line that he benefited from in Baltimore he'd be like 32 and declining.

That being said I'm pissed that he's a Patriot and it sucks that we have to see him twice a year nowicon_evil.gif

I don't believe Woody is cheap when it comes to free agents. I believe this is the philosophy. Look at the way the Pats were built. No high priced free agents there either.

Correct. The only big priced FA the Pats ever signed was Colvin in 2003.

The next big ticket FA they sign will be the first they get while he's the owner. They also let coles walk because of money. Why should i pay $105 dollars a seat when they don't even make an OFFER to a guy like Thomas and let him waltz up to NE? it's a travesty.

The second they found out NE was seriously in on thomas they should've called his agent and said they would beat any offer by 10 million. Thats how important keeping Thomas out of NE should've been. But our FO sat back and did nothing.

how do you know they didn't mike? how do you know they weren't on the phone with his agent all day trying to get him away from NE,offering to top whatever they were willing to pay him? Is it at all possible he wanted to play for the Patriots?

The way you've been going on all day,you'd think Thomas told every reporter last night at 12:01 that he really,really wanted to be a Jet but Tannenbaum and Mangini just went "meh" and ignored him.

The next big ticket FA they sign will be the first they get while he's the owner. They also let coles walk because of money. Why should i pay $105 dollars a seat when they don't even make an OFFER to a guy like Thomas and let him waltz up to NE? it's a travesty.

There is a thing called salary cap which the Jets have been up against every year since I can remember with the exception of this one. When you are competitive you stay competitive by letting free agents go and developing your draft picks. You can't keep or sign everyone.

how do you know they didn't mike? how do you know they weren't on the phone with his agent all day trying to get him away from NE,offering to top whatever they were willing to pay him? Is it at all possible he wanted to play for the Patriots?

The way you've been going on all day,you'd think Thomas told every reporter last night at 12:01 that he really,really wanted to be a Jet but Tannenbaum and Mangini just went "meh" and ignored him.

I think that if they really wanted him they would've leaked that to the press if only to make their fans feel a little better. If they wanted him bad enough we would've known about it.

I think that if they really wanted him they would've leaked that to the press if only to make their fans feel a little better. If they wanted him bad enough we would've known about it.

why do you think you know better than a professional front office? maybe there is good reason they aren't interested? if you were better then the scouts and gms on the jets something tells me you'd be there instead of them.

why do you think you know better than a professional front office? maybe there is good reason they aren't interested? if you were better then the scouts and gms on the jets something tells me you'd be there instead of them.

so just because they are scouts or GM's they can't make moronic decisions? (see every player besides andre dyson they brought in last year)

so just because they are scouts or GM's they can't make moronic decisions? (see every player besides andre dyson they brought in last year)

I never said that. you just keep speaking like your opinion is fact. That this one player is all that we need to be a super bowl team.

I never said that. you just keep speaking like your opinion is fact. That this one player is all that we need to be a super bowl team.
i never said the jets were one player away. I just wanted them to get thomas because he was the fastest way to improve the jets with the highes payoff. period.

i never said the jets were one player away. I just wanted them to get thomas because he was the fastest way to improve the jets with the highes payoff. period.

regardless of price? and losing out on a chance at improving at other positions?

Yeah that Trey Teague bonus really crippled the franchise when he got hurt.

They didn't sign anyone last year because they inherited a cap mess. Now after a few hours of free agency you are blasting them for not overspending.

Gotcha.

regardless of price? and losing out on a chance at improving at other positions?

yes. he would've improved the team more then any other FA's they can sign. and MUCH more then the garbage they are linked to right now who will be cut by a year from today.

"So, while New England, San Francisco and the Jets are considered the most aggressive suitors of Thomas, two of them will likely turn their attention quickly to Porter if the ex-Ravens star signs.

The Jets are known to be one of several teams that talked to the Steelers in recent days about a trade for Porter, and Cleveland head coach Romeo Crennel was quoted Thursday night expressing interest in his former division rival"

Off of SI.com on Porter

There ya go.

So evidently the Jets were one of the Top 3 teams interested in Thomas but felt he wasn't worth the money and they probably see Porter as a great fallback option.

Yeah that Trey Teague bonus really crippled the franchise when he got hurt.

They didn't sign anyone last year because they inherited a cap mess. Now after a few hours of free agency you are blasting them for not overspending.

Gotcha.

i forgot trey teague. another stellar signing.

"So, while New England, San Francisco and the Jets are considered the most aggressive suitors of Thomas, two of them will likely turn their attention quickly to Porter if the ex-Ravens star signs.

The Jets are known to be one of several teams that talked to the Steelers in recent days about a trade for Porter, and Cleveland head coach Romeo Crennel was quoted Thursday night expressing interest in his former division rival"

Off of SI.com on Porter

There ya go.

So evidently the Jets were one of the Top 3 teams interested in Thomas but felt he wasn't worth the money and they probably see Porter as a great fallback option.

cimini says the jets arn't even going after him.

Nice job tannenbaum. Not even an offer to the best FA on the market and now we have to look at him twice a year. AWESOME! Thats EXACTLY how we're gonna win the division next year.

And if Porter ends up with the fish, we'll have to see him twice a year, too.

feel better now, mike?

:P

cimini says the jets arn't even going after him.

Cimini? As in Cimini the ass clown?

What the hell does Rich know? The only beat writers covering the Jets that I fully trust are Randy Lange and Tom Rock.

About everyother writer besides Cimini had the Jets making a strong offer to Thomas. Adam Schefter who is very reliable said the Jets were a frontrunner and I'll take his word over Cimini's anyday of the week.

And again, I'll take Porter over Thomas.

there are no "offbrand" FA's who can come close to the production of an adalius thomas.

so you know how thomas is gonna produce behind a sub-par d-line, next to an undersized inside linebacker and in front of an average secondary?

what would his stats would have been on the jets next year? how would he have responded to mangini's tough rules and brutal training camp?

Cimini? As in Cimini the ass clown?

What the hell does Rich know? The only beat writers covering the Jets that I fully trust are Randy Lange and Tom Rock.

About everyother writer besides Cimini had the Jets making a strong offer to Thomas. Adam Schefter who is very reliable said the Jets were a frontrunner and I'll take his word over Cimini's anyday of the week.

And again, I'll take Porter over Thomas.

I'll take porter over nothing but everything i've heard says porter isn't coming here.

I'll take porter over nothing but everything i've heard says porter isn't coming here.

Out of the other four teams seriously pursuing Porter (49ers, Phins, Cardinals, and Browns) we have the most cap room and I feel Mangini and Tannenbaum will want to capitilize on the Pats signing Thomas.

It's already a known fact that we inquired about trading for Porter in the very recent past, so why wouldn't we aggressively pursue him now that he's on the open market?

The Pats are out of the bidding war with the signing of Adalius.

The 49ers are almost certainly out of the bidding war after signing Clements and Lewis to huge deals.

We have more leverage than the Browns considering that they just signed Steinbach to a huge deal plus we already had more cap room than them in the first place and we've yet to sign a single player.

Now that leaves the Cardinals. We also have more cap room than them. If your Porter, who would you rather sign with....an underachiveing team which plays a 4-3 defense that your unaccustomed to or a team that plays a 3-4 defense that you've been a pro-bowl LB in and will pay you more money and is on the up and up?

Porter will be a Jet in '07.

I'll stick by that statement.

Out of the other four teams seriously pursuing Porter (49ers, Phins, Cardinals, and Browns) we have the most cap room and I feel Mangini and Tannenbaum will want to capitilize on the Pats signing Thomas.

It's already a known fact that we inquired about trading for Porter in the very recent past, so why wouldn't we aggressively pursue him now that he's on the open market?

The Pats are out of the bidding war with the signing of Adalius.

The 49ers are almost certainly out of the bidding war after signing Clements and Lewis to huge deals.

We have more leverage than the Browns considering that they just signed Steinbach to a huge deal plus we already had more cap room than them in the first place and we've yet to sign a single player.

Now that leaves the Cardinals. We also have more cap room than them. If your Porter, who would you rather sign with....an underachiveing team which plays a 4-3 defense that your unaccustomed to or a team that plays a 3-4 defense that you've been a pro-bowl LB in and will pay you more money and is on the up and up?

Porter will be a Jet in '07.

I'll stick by that statement.

Great post. I hope you are right.

from PFT

THOMAS DEAL COMING?

John Tomase of the Boston Herald reports that the Patriots have struck a "preliminary deal" with free-agent linebacker Adalius Thomas.

But we sense a certain uneasy quality about the report, and it lacks the same unequivocal feel that most reports of player signings posses. If that makes any sense.

We're not saying it won't happen. But, for now, we're not completely convinced that it will.

Not the most reliable of sources but maybe this can relax Madmike a bit

Archived