Jets fly under radar in market

Smizzy

Jets fly under radar in market

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The Jets opened the free-agent signing period yesterday in understated fashion: They watched other teams throw around ridiculous money while waiting patiently for the so-called bargains.

The anticipated pursuit of Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas and Chargers running back Michael Turner, two of the best players on the market, didn't materialize on Day 1. As of late in the afternoon, the Jets hadn't reached out to either player, according to agent Bus Cook, who represents both. Thomas' asking price, no doubt, gave them pause. He reportedly was close to signing last night with the Patriots.

The Jets also didn't make a play for outspoken linebacker Joey Porter, who was released Thursday by the Steelers. Despite some speculation, they have no interest in Porter, according to a person familiar with the team's thinking.

So which players are on the Jets' radar? For the second time in seven months, they're heavily into the running back market. Many of the names haven't changed from last summer, when the Jets checked into every available back before settling for Kevan Barlow, who was released last week.

The Jets expressed an immediate interest in T.J. Duckett of the Redskins, according to an NFL source. The two sides were trying to arrange a visit for next week. The Jets, looking for a back to pair with the diminutive Leon Washington, also are reportedly interested in the Titans' Chris Brown.

Duckett and Brown were both on the Jets' short list last summer, when the team was trying to replace the injured Curtis Martin. Each back has redeeming qualities, although neither was a factor last season. The Titans' Travis Henry, who likely will be released today, will be an interesting option.

The wild-card back could be Corey Dillon, who was released yesterday by the Patriots, as expected. Eric Mangini and new quarterbacks coach Brian Daboll, both formerly of New England, are familiar with Dillon. It's believed that Dillon's agent, Steve Feldman, called the Jets to gauge their interest. It wasn't immediately known whether they plan to pursue him.

"He'd love to play for the Jets, he'd like to play for Mangini and like to tote the rock 10 or 15 times a game," Feldman said.

If the Jets want to trade for a back, they could target the Redskins' Ladell Betts, who rushed for 1,154 yards last season as a fill-in for the injured Clinton Portis. They also could get involved with Turner, although the cost might be prohibitive. Turner is a restricted free agent, which means the Chargers are entitled to first- and third-round draft picks as compensation.

The Jets also have a glaring need at defensive end. A strong possibility is David Bowens, whose former position coach with the Dolphins, Dan Quinn, is now the Jets' defensive line coach. Bowens is scheduled to visit tomorrow and Monday, a source said. The Jets also are showing interest in the Cowboys' Kenyon Coleman, who may visit next week.

PAT'S ALL: The Jets made it official, releasing backup QB Patrick Ramsey after one season. They tried to trade him - they talked with the Cowboys - but found no takers. The move saved $2.1 million in cap room. The Jets will look for another veteran backup for Chad Pennington. ... The official numbers on Jerricho Cotchery's new contract are in: It's a five-year extension worth $19 million, including a $7 million signing bonus. He will make $12.4 million in 2007 and 2008.

/Puts on madmike hat/

Flying under the radar??!! Try still taxiing on the runway!

They havent gotten off the ground because Woody is too cheap!

We should have signed at least 3 FAs by now. We arent even asking for clearance to take off!! Under the radar my ass.

If we dont get in the air pretty soon, I may cancel my tickets and no, dont PM me, cuz I'm not selling them! #@%$!

/Takes off madmike hat

/Puts on madmike hat/

Flying under the radar??!! Try still taxiing on the runway!

They havent gotten off the ground because Woody is too cheap!

We should have signed at least 3 FAs by now. We arent even asking for clearance to take off!! Under the radar my ass.

If we dont get in the air pretty soon, I may cancel my tickets and no, dont PM me, cuz I'm not selling them! #@%$!

/Takes off madmike hat

LOL POTW nom for the JC man

Travis Henry has been way at the top of my list for almost a year now-as I've posted a few times now-he's a great Northeastern running back-he's a cold weather back that can get the tough yards in New England NJ and Buffalo in December and January

Right now since Turner is NOT going to happen my wish list has him at the top followed by Corey Dillon-hey he can get us almost a thousand yards and actually CONVERT a 3rd or 4th and 1-come on Tangini TRAVIS TRAVIS TRAVIS or COREY COREY COREY

We need a great player. Chris Brown/Duckett didn't do crap last year. What if they pull off a " Kevan Barlow " down here. I'm kinda scared. Hopefully we could pick a HB that can carry the load and stay injury free.

We need a great player. Chris Brown/Duckett didn't do crap last year. What if they pull off a " Kevan Barlow " down here. I'm kinda scared. Hopefully we could pick a HB that can carry the load and stay injury free.

Yesterday I posted a thread We Need An Adrian Murrell- a vet who can give us 1100-1200 yards for a year until we can steal Turner away next year.Travis Henry fits the bill perfectly...get this guy

He will make $12.4 million in 2007 and 2008.

Thats a big chunk of available funds the JETS had left...

It was well worth it though, J Cotch is going to be our #1 WR when Coles hangs em up.

The official numbers on Jerricho Cotchery's new contract are in: It's a five-year extension worth $19 million, including a $7 million signing bonus. He will make $12.4 million in 2007 and 2008.

So basically of the around $27 million we had to spend, $6.2 million, or around that, will go towards paying Jerricho Cotchery in 2007.

Also, look at those numbers. If he's getting $12.4 million of $19 million in the first two years of a five year, two years from now we could see yet another contract extension or a pay rise for Cotchery depending on what he does in the next few seasons.

In my mind this was a smart move because if he gets injured or if he doesn't live up to what he did in 2006 in the next few seasons, he will much easier to release or trade after 2008.

So basically of the around $27 million we had to spend, $6.2 million, or around that, will go towards paying Jerricho Cotchery in 2007.

Also, look at those numbers. If he's getting $12.4 million of $19 million in the first two years of a five year, two years from now we could see yet another contract extension or a pay rise for Cotchery depending on what he does in the next few seasons.

In my mind this was a smart move because if he gets injured or if he doesn't live up to what he did in 2006 in the next few seasons, he will much easier to release or trade after 2008.

I know its weird having the JETS make a smart contract.... just weird....

Wait. You like the deal because it's front loaded? I don't get it. Two scenarios: 1. he plays like crap and we have to cut him. That means you paid him a ton of money for a stiff. 2. He plays great. Now he is only owed small $$ on the end years of the contract and complains that he is worth more. Holds out and demands more money. You've lost leverage because he's already gotten most of the contract money. Seems like an okay deal, but the fact it's frontloaded is all in favor of the player.

Archived