Dolphins Expected to Sign Joey Porter

GimmeShelter

A television station in Pittsburgh is reporting free agent LB Joey Porter will sign a five-year, $24 million contract with the Miami Dolphins.

The report says Porter will get $12 million to sign, a hefty figure, but this is a great addition to coordinator Dom Capers' defense. Porter, 30 in March, should still have three-to-four quality years left and is a big upgrade over Donnie Spragan. Miami could still add linebacker help in the draft.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

A television station in Pittsburgh is reporting free agent LB Joey Porter will sign a five-year, $24 million contract with the Miami Dolphins.

The report says Porter will get $12 million to sign, a hefty figure, but this is a great addition to coordinator Dom Capers' defense. Porter, 30 in March, should still have three-to-four quality years left and is a big upgrade over Donnie Spragan. Miami could still add linebacker help in the draft.

Damn... that's two really tough linebackers that just moved into our division...

Miami has made NE look like amateurs w/ their moves the past 2 days. They get Porter who is better than thomas for $10 mill LESS guaranteed moneya nd they had an absolute hesit in getting NE to give up a 2nd and 7th rd pick for a 3rd WR and below average return man.

Miami has made NE look like amateurs w/ their moves the past 2 days. They get Porter who is better than thomas for $10 mill LESS guaranteed moneya nd they had an absolute hesit in getting NE to give up a 2nd and 7th rd pick for a 3rd WR and below average return man.

Wes Welker is better than that. He will flourish w.Brady at QB.

Wes Welker is better than that. He will flourish w.Brady at QB.

he is a # WR, he's the same caliber of WR they have their now. brady can win w. any WR which is why it's so puzzling that NE would give up a 2nd and 7th rd pick and $10 mil guaranteed for a player like Welker.

Disagree. Thomas will prove to be one of the greates LBs in the game under belly-chicken. Porter is declining while Thomas is on the rise; thus, the guaranteed money is higher. As for Welker, he has IT. I have no idea what IT is, but he has a tight grasp on IT. This guy has been NUTS since high school. He leaves it all on the field, even as a WR. Prototype Parcells/belly-chicken/Mangini player...

Disagree. Thomas will prove to be one of the greates LBs in the game under belly-chicken. Porter is declining while Thomas is on the rise; thus, the guaranteed money is higher. As for Welker, he has IT. I have no idea what IT is, but he has a tight grasp on IT. This guy has been NUTS since high school. He leaves it all on the field, even as a WR. Prototype Parcells/belly-chicken/Mangini player...

Hate to break it to you Ryno, but Thomas is only 5 months younger than Porter. Hard to make any kind of case at all that Porter is declining and Thomas is getting better. Both of them are what they are-LB's with only 3-4 really decent years left. The main difference is Porter has had a much more successful career. NE got hosed.

Porter and thomas are the same age, Porter has been a great player for years and a leader of a Championship defense. Thomas has beena GOOD player for a couple of years and nowhere near a leader and he played w/ HOF players on his D. I think people overrate Thomas b/c he was the "hot" FA. Porter even if declining is a better value at $12 mil guaranteed than Thomas at $22.

Welker is a very, very, very poor man's Wayne Chrebet. he's more like a Kurt Sohn. He's a 3rd WR and a below average return man. Brady can win w/ any WRs, why invest $10 mil and 2nd & 7th rd picks to get a player like that?

Dolphins | Team to sign Porter

Tue, 6 Mar 2007 06:32:52 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Miami Dolphins will sign free agent LB Joey Porter (Steelers) to a multi-year deal worth roughly $24 million Tuesday, March 6, according to WPXI-Channel 11. Porter will receive a signing bonus of roughly $12 million.

I would much rather have Porter then Thomas. And I have to ask the madmike question. Did we even make an attempt?

Probably not, and for good reason. Why would we possibly want to spend a large amount of money on the LB position right now? Unless we trade Vilma, we have no dire need to upgrade the position. We are better off using moeny we have available on a 3-4 DE, DT, RT, RG, and CB. LB is a luxury right now, we are not well off enough to spend money on luxuries.

Why is Miami still such a draw for FAs? I understand there's a great beach there, but that's what vacation is for. The Dolphins haven't been a good team in years and they haven't even seen the playoffs since 2001. They couldn't get it right when Marino was there and they haven't been able to get it right since.

OH AND WELCOME BACK RYNO.....THERE'S A NICE PRESENT WAITING FOR YOU IN THE LOUNGE.:box:

Why is Miami still such a draw for FAs? I understand there's a great beach there, but that's what vacation is for. The Dolphins haven't been a good team in years and they haven't even seen the playoffs since 2001. They couldn't get it right when Marino was there and they haven't been able to get it right since.

OH AND WELCOME BACK RYNO.....THERE'S A NICE PRESENT WAITING FOR YOU IN THE LOUNGE.:box:

no state income tax

Hate to break it to you Ryno, but Thomas is only 5 months younger than Porter. Hard to make any kind of case at all that Porter is declining and Thomas is getting better. Both of them are what they are-LB's with only 3-4 really decent years left. The main difference is Porter has had a much more successful career. NE got hosed.

Porter and thomas are the same age, Porter has been a great player for years and a leader of a Championship defense. Thomas has beena GOOD player for a couple of years and nowhere near a leader and he played w/ HOF players on his D. I think people overrate Thomas b/c he was the "hot" FA. Porter even if declining is a better value at $12 mil guaranteed than Thomas at $22.

Welker is a very, very, very poor man's Wayne Chrebet. he's more like a Kurt Sohn. He's a 3rd WR and a below average return man. Brady can win w/ any WRs, why invest $10 mil and 2nd & 7th rd picks to get a player like that?

I am well aware of their ages, but Porter has been a starter his entire career, while, until recently, Thomas was a role player on a VERY deep defense. Thomas has progressed and become an extremely versatile player (the most valuable trait to have IMO) who likely has not seen his peak. Joey has peaked and, thus, is in the decline of his career. He is still a great player, don't get me wrong, but Thomas clearly has the better upside at this juncture. Players like Thomas are rare, and when great football minds covet certain players, there is a reason. Ask Rex Ryan what he thinks of Thomas compared to Porter...

As for Welker being a poor man's Wayne is laughable. Wes stepped up this year with crap at QB and the rest of the WR corps in shambles. Wayne was never the return guy this kid is, and their receiving skills are similar. However, Wes will have Brady tossing the rock to him, and the best Wayne ever had was Vinny...Welker will easily surpass Wayne's credentials.

Why is Miami still such a draw for FAs? I understand there's a great beach there, but that's what vacation is for. The Dolphins haven't been a good team in years and they haven't even seen the playoffs since 2001.

It is very simple. Not every single player in the NFL is there to get a ring. regardless of what they say on sportscenter. A lot of players just want to get paid and live the pro athlete life.

It is very simple. Not every single player in the NFL is there to get a ring. regardless of what they say on sportscenter. A lot of players just want to get paid and live the pro athlete life.

And having South Beach close by doesn't hurt either

I am well aware of their ages, but Porter has been a starter his entire career, while, until recently, Thomas was a role player on a VERY deep defense. Thomas has progressed and become an extremely versatile player (the most valuable trait to have IMO) who likely has not seen his peak. Joey has peaked and, thus, is in the decline of his career. He is still a great player, don't get me wrong, but Thomas clearly has the better upside at this juncture. Players like Thomas are rare, and when great football minds covet certain players, there is a reason. Ask Rex Ryan what he thinks of Thomas compared to Porter...

quote]

come on, you make it sound like Thomas is some kind of Neo at the LB position. He's not rare, he's an above avg LB turning 30 this year. That's all. i'm glad we didn't overpay for him and I'm not particularly terrified that NE did. This is the same rhetoric that was spewed when they signed Colvin a couple years ago. "Experts" were claiming that Colvin was possibly even better than Urlacher, just didn;'t get the notoriety. Don't get me wrong, Thomas is good, but he's not elite. Just another thing, take a look at the recent history of BAL defenders after they leave BAL. It isn't pretty. furthermore, do you think BAL is shaking in their boots without Thomas right now? Nope, they'll just fill in another guy who will rack up some pretty good stats while the blockers are spending their efforts trying to shed the likes of Ngata and Pryce while trying to get to Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs.

I agree that there are some players like that in the NFL, but I would have never pegged Joey Porter to play that role. He's crazy competitve and wants to win at all costs.

You have to agree though - whether you're just there for the paycheck or not, a losing locker room is not a place you want to be.

Porter just won a ring.

People often say that when a player wins a ring they "lose their drive" so to speak. I don't know, I think the championship experience would make me want to go after it again, and again, and again............

I would want to live in that moment as many times as I could.

I'm with ya on the previous LBs who left BAL, but this guy is different, and yes, I would equate him to "some kind of NEO" at LB. THE GUY CAN PLAY ANY POSITION ON DEFENSE FOR GOD's SAKE! As for the Ravens FO; they are fantastic at having guys in the ranks ready to step up, at least defensively. This is the major reason Thomas has flown under the radar while waiting for his turn. News flash, the Patriots just called out: "NEXT!"

The two best 34 OLB avaiable in FA end up in New England and Miami.. Great!:character42:

Joey Porter is going to add a lot to a defense.. Miami's D has just improved greatly. Now if they can only find a legit Cornerback or two and they're on their way.

People often say that when a player wins a ring they "lose their drive" so to speak. I don't know, I think the championship experience would make me want to go after it again, and again, and again............

And then said player signs with the Dolphins,LOL...You tell me whats on his mind.

hate miami. hate southbeach. hate the people. give me tampa or the keys instead.

Tampa blows, too.

790 reports....

The Miami Dolphins and LB Joey Porter have reached agreement on a five-year, $32.5 million deal that includes $20 million worth of guaranteed money.

Archived