Edwin Mulitalo-OG released by Ravens

jetfan4hire

A very good replacement for either Moore or Kendall.

I don't think so. Its better if we pick up Blalock and have a very young offensive line and get dominate as years pass by. He lost a step and is getting old, maybe thats why they released him.

The jets should be ALL OVER this guy.

An MRI exam on Monday morning revealed that starting left guard Edwin Mulitalo suffered a torn right triceps tendon in the second half of the Ravens' 16-13 victory, and the eighth-year veteran underwent surgery later in the day to repair the injury. Mulitalo will be lost for the balance of the season.

The Ravens placed him on the injured reserve list Tuesday and and signed offensive guard Ikechuku Ndukwe to their active roster.

Mulitalo, 32, left the game in the second half, with his right arm dangling at his side. There were concerns in the Baltimore locker room afterwards that Mulitalo's injury was serious.

I dont know how hard it is to come back from this injury.

Comment:

Mulitalo has a good combination of size, play strength and athleticism. He is tough, competitive and experienced. He has been pretty durable. He is a road grader type who is at his best working in a confined area. He can use his size to engulf defenders. He is quick off the ball and into run-blocking patterns. He has good functional strength and works hard to maintain position and generate a push at the line. He has above-average balance and control when sustaining blocks. He can be effective on reach and cutoff blocks. He can adjust and stay in control off combination patterns. He can pull short and block in space. He has good feet and balance in pass protection. He can bend, slide and change directions pretty well. He can anchor against power and maintain pocket depth. He has active hands. But Mulitalo has short arms and lacks consistency in pass protection. He has an inconsistent punch and will give up the outside edges. He tends to lunge, overextend and bend at the waist. He struggles to reset his hands on moving targets and doesn't recover well. He has limitations on long pulls.

Scouts Inc. has him ranked as the 8th best gaurd in the NFL

Or better yet Mulitalo AND Blaylock.

Blaylock ? I hope you mean Blalock haha.

I rather get Blalock and start him from Day 1 if he deserves it. Experience for a offensive line is very big. Mulitalo is getting old, theres a reason why they released him.

Blaylock ? I hope you mean Blalock haha.

I rather get Blalock and start him from Day 1 if he deserves it. Experience for a offensive line is very big. Mulitalo is getting old, theres a reason why they released him.

We have 2 awful guards right now. We need TWO GUARDS not one.

This dude is a friggin' MOOSE. 6'3/350. He got hurt last year; that's the reason he didn't play 16 games. Going to be 33 yrs old on Sept 1st, but he was a 25 yr old rookie. Also I read on a Ravens board that he's contemplating retirement. Supposed to be a great run-blocker but not so amazing in pass-blocking.

This dude is a friggin' MOOSE. 6'3/350. He got hurt last year; that's the reason he didn't play 16 games. Going to be 33 yrs old on Sept 1st, but he was a 25 yr old rookie. Also I read on a Ravens board that he's contemplating retirement. Supposed to be a great run-blocker but not so amazing in pass-blocking.

You should tell Mike that.

Edwin Mulitalo was a great player. Was great.

despite the fact that Elliot Pellman would pass an NFL physical on a fresh cadaver...

if you are contemplating retirement, you are retired!

PASS!

( for now... maybe revisit at future date, pending NYJ OG desperation and Mulitalo's purchase of HGH and/or bionic limbs. )

source: Next Man Up by John Feinstein chronicles the Ravens 2004 season and the coaches were saying Mulitalo was done then!

From a couple of Ravens boards:

"I really hope we are going to re-sign him to a more friendly deal. Honestly I'd rather of seen Flynn go then Mule gone....."

"back to mule. i hate to see him go. for what its worth, mule was always the nicest guy at camp. the dude would come over, sit on the bench with the fans, and just chill for a good while. i noticed him do so several times over the course of several years. truely a good guy, and at times, a damn good OG. i'd love to see him come back on a minimum deal."

"I recall that if they do they free up almost $3 million in cap room for this year, but then would have almost $2 million in dead money for next year's cap. Maybe Ian can tweak his spreadsheet and let us know."

[so this seems like it was a cap move by the Ravens, not a release b/c they didn't like him]

"Scouts Inc gave him a top 10 grade before the season, and he's coming back from a tricep injury, it shouldn't be the type of thing that will linger. Dockery just got $17 mill to sign, you just can't replace an interior lineman in this market."

"He's not going to get any significant offers on the open market due to age, injuries the last 2 years and declining performance. I will say, however, that he looked better this year prior to his injury than he did the prior year. I think we still might re-sign him for a lower price."

"I'm not too crazy about this move. Mule was easily the best interior run blocker we had, and as everyone knows, last years Oline run blocking was pathetic. I wish they'd dump Flynn and Vincent instead."

"This just doesn't make sense to me. There aren't any significant cap implications and nothing has been said about failing his physical. He was a great mentor to the younger guys, too, so why not keep him?"

i would sign him on the cheap and let him battle the rest for playing time, but no way would i be giving him much in the way of guarentees...

I agree, good post. He is coming off of an injury and if we can sign him for a reasonable price we should bring him in for competition and depth.

I'd like to sign him on the cheap along with drafting a stud. sounds like he'd be a good guy to have around in the locker room to help groom the youngins along with helping jones progress downfield. A solid running game can do wonders for this offense

I dont see it. The Jets will have plenty of opportunity to draft a really good G prospect with a second round pick, if they dont nab Blalock, Grubbs or Kalil in the first round. Together with Moore and Kendall that should set them up for the time being.

I think they have more immediate concerns at OT, CB and LB (depth). They will keep their powder dry so that they can address these issues before the draft. If they can.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...ports-football

Mulitalo raring to return to Ravens' line

Mike Preston

Originally published Feb 17, 2007

Mike Preston

Mike Preston

Guard Edwin Mulitalo didn't get much of a chance to enjoy the Ravens' success in 2006. His season was cut short after four games because of an arm injury. Like most of the veterans, he wants at least one more shot at a title run with the Ravens.

Unlike previous years, though, Mulitalo isn't guaranteed starting, even though he has three years remaining on his contract. Second-year guard Jason Brown played well after replacing Mulitalo, and there is speculation Mulitalo might be released or be asked to take a pay cut as a backup.

So far, the eight-year veteran hasn't heard from management. As far as Mulitalo is concerned, he has about 80 percent of the strength back in his upper body, and he can't wait to step back onto the field.

"Watching the season hurt more than the injury," said Mulitalo, who tore the triceps muscle in his right arm against the San Diego Chargers on Oct. 1. "Everyone knows that you're going to get hurt at some time. Few players leave this game without getting cut on. But to see your team playing so well, and they're doing it without you, is really hard."

Mulitalo expects to be 100 percent in a couple of weeks, which would give him more than enough time to get ready for the 2007 season. He has been through this before, suffering the same injury to his left arm in the 2004 regular-season finale.

"It's like someone kicks you in your arm, followed by excruciating pain," Mulitalo said. "Then later, the muscle starts curling up. The last time, I knew what was wrong. I knew I was done. Within 20 seconds, I told Bill T [trainer Bill Tessendorf] that I was following him to the locker room."

After the second torn triceps, Mulitalo spent about a month in a makeshift cast. Two weeks later, he started motion exercises using light dumbbells. While in rehabilitation, he watched every game and tried to serve as a consultant during home games. When training camp opened, he spent a lot of time with younger players, such as Brown and rookie center-guard Chris Chester. Brown, though, had to get on-the-job training.

Mulitalo says he was impressed.

"I tried to give him as much help as I could once the season started, but then I was done," Mulitalo said. "After that, there wasn't much I could do except be there for my team. He stepped in and played well. Overall, I thought the offensive line did a nice job."

What did Brown give the Ravens that Mulitalo couldn't?

Brown, out of North Carolina, has more athleticism and quicker feet. He could make blocks at the second level that Mulitalo couldn't. Brown also is a better pass blocker and certainly more versatile because he can play center and guard.

But as far as sheer power and initial burst, it's no contest. At 6 feet 3 and 350 pounds, Mulitalo can move even the biggest defensive tackles. Mulitalo also is a team guy. Teammates like his attitude, and they know he plays hard all the time.

"The team hasn't told me anything, so I just continue to prepare," Mulitalo said. "Until they tell me something, I expect to come to training camp and compete."

Actually, he can't wait to get to training camp. Mulitalo rededicated himself during the past offseason, shedding about 25 pounds. No player spent more time in the weight room, and Mulitalo often worked out twice a day. He reported in great shape, as did the two other veterans on the offensive line, center Mike Flynn and left tackle Jonathan Ogden.

Mulitalo said he hasn't spoken with Ogden about possible retirement plans, but assumes his longtime offensive line partner will inform him when the time comes.

"I think J.O. has a couple of years left," Mulitalo said of Ogden. "He can play as long as he wants to play because he is still better than most tackles out there. I assume he is coming back. I told him to put me near the top of his text-message list if he doesn't. It would be strange being out there without him. I've played with other tackles like Adam Terry, but not for an extended time. It would be a learning curve without him. But with the season ending the way it did, he'll come back."

That seems to be the rallying cry for 2007. Mulitalo said he plans on honoring his contract, and he wants another playoff run with his veteran buddies. Even though he didn't play much last season, Mulitalo liked what he saw from the sideline.

"As a team, we graded out to a B-plus, and it would have been an A except for that playoff loss," Mulitalo said. "But Steve McNair made a huge difference on this team. We had weapons, and as long as the offense holds up its end of the bargain, we're going to be tough to beat. The thought of retirement has gone though my mind because I'm not getting any younger, but I think I can still contribute to this team. As long as I think that way, I want to play."

mike.preston@baltsun.com

Read Mike Preston's Ravens Central blog at www.baltimoresun.com/ravenscentral.

Thats not the comparison that matters.

What matters it that:

Mulitalo > Moore

Mulitalo > Kendall

Mulitalo is not what he used to be. Yes, he was a big part of Lewis's 2000 yard season but if he was still that damn good he would on a team right now. You do realize that some teams release players because they have no more juice in them.

Mulitalo is not what he used to be. Yes, he was a big part of Lewis's 2000 yard season but if he was still that damn good he would on a team right now. You do realize that some teams release players because they have no more juice in them.

you mean like when Kendall got cut 4 years ago?

Archived