What would you give up for Briggs???

CoachTsurfing

Alright we've all heard about Briggs wanting a trade. Lets play the what if game. I would be willing to give up our first round draft pick for Briggs. Then I would trade Vilma to get back into the middle of the first round. Briggs has stated that he wants to run the d and has learned from one of the best in Urlacher. What do you think the Bears would want for him?

A 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick.

He clearly doesnt want to play there and I would think the way we stole jones from the bears we could also steal him... I wouldnt want to get rid of Vilma though, Vilma at least wants to learn and play in the 3-4, Briggs just doesnt.

Nothing. Not even the generous offers made above, in this thread. He is either gonna cost too much or leave after the year. Anyway, his skills may not translate well in a 3/4 defense.

The Jets could trade Vilma for an early to middle round pick and replace him that way - would you trade Vilma to get back, say, Willis, or Moss (move Hobson ILB) or Houston, a killer CB prospect? I'm sure Carolina at #14 would jump at Vilma, a proven top of the line MLB.

I would seriously think about Vilma for Moss. I think the Jets need an impact front seven defensive guy badly.

On Lance Briggs

March

Here’s a quick thought, let’s see what you guys think.

Lance Briggs swears he won’t play another down for the Bears. Beyond the cliched financial anger at having the franchise tag slapped on him (please, somebody slap a $7.2 million one-year deal on me), there’s also this: He wants what his good buddy Brian Urlacher has. In other words, he wants to be the show at linebacker.

So, back to the quick thought, one admittedly thrown out there without due consideration of the salary cap ramifications. Should/could the Jets offer up Jonathan Vilma for Briggs?

Granted, Briggs was/is in the 4-3 in Chicago. But so was Vilma in New York prior to Eric Mangini’s hiring. Vilma still seems more suited to the 4-3 so maybe he might be happier in Chicago.

Pure guesswork on my part, of course.

Anyway, just throwing that out there. The Jets made a good trade with the Bears for Thomas Jones. Can that relationship be continued?

Speaking of questions, thanks for the great response to the poll question posted on the right. At last glance, I saw 111 votes, more than doubling the response to the first Jets Journal poll. Not to get greedy but I’m going to leave the question up another day or so, I want to see if we can top 200 responses. Go ahead, tell your friends. Rock the vote.

Not that i think it would happen, much less do i want it to happen...but on the Bears side, Urlacher and Vilma....just wow...but, thats probably another reason it wouldn't work....Vilma would have to move to OLB, and i just dont see it.

On Lance Briggs

March

Here’s a quick thought, let’s see what you guys think.

Lance Briggs swears he won’t play another down for the Bears. Beyond the cliched financial anger at having the franchise tag slapped on him (please, somebody slap a $7.2 million one-year deal on me), there’s also this: He wants what his good buddy Brian Urlacher has. In other words, he wants to be the show at linebacker.

So, back to the quick thought, one admittedly thrown out there without due consideration of the salary cap ramifications. Should/could the Jets offer up Jonathan Vilma for Briggs?

Granted, Briggs was/is in the 4-3 in Chicago. But so was Vilma in New York prior to Eric Mangini’s hiring. Vilma still seems more suited to the 4-3 so maybe he might be happier in Chicago.

Pure guesswork on my part, of course.

Anyway, just throwing that out there. The Jets made a good trade with the Bears for Thomas Jones. Can that relationship be continued?

Speaking of questions, thanks for the great response to the poll question posted on the right. At last glance, I saw 111 votes, more than doubling the response to the first Jets Journal poll. Not to get greedy but I’m going to leave the question up another day or so, I want to see if we can top 200 responses. Go ahead, tell your friends. Rock the vote.

That's really just a terrible idea.

First of all, Chicago already has a decent middle linebacker, which would mean that Vilma would have to switch to the outside. If he's gonna switch outside, he might as well do it here.

Second, Briggs has gone on record as saying he does not want to play in a 3-4. If traded here, if he plays at all, it would be for a year, then he goes off and signs for some 4-3 team. You'd think a beat writer would do more research.

He said so in an interview.

I love how players these days think that they should have their cake and eat it too. He not only wants to get traded from the Bears to a team willing to make him the highest paid linebacker in the league, but he also is going to go so far as to say he won't play in a 3-4!

Man someone needs to tell Mr. Briggs that beggers can't be choosers. I hope he sits the year out and then comes back as not even a shell of his former self.

A 2nd round pick but Briggs is not a 34 OLB.

As for Gross' idea... Brian Urlacher, ya know, one of the best if not the best MLB in the game is in Chicago meaning Vilma would become a 43 OLB and I don't think that is going to happen either. Simpy put there is barely a 1% chance of Lance Briggs ending up as an OLB in Jet Green... now for the other New York team, they should be interested but then again they arn't interested in Cato June and are intending on starting Gerald Wilkerson at ROLB.

I love how players these days think that they should have their cake and eat it too. He not only wants to get traded from the Bears to a team willing to make him the highest paid linebacker in the league, but he also is going to go so far as to say he won't play in a 3-4!

Man someone needs to tell Mr. Briggs that beggers can't be choosers. I hope he sits the year out and then comes back as not even a shell of his former self.

Hey i hear you dude. I wish someone would give me a 1 year, 7 million dollar contract, lol. But apparently 7 million isn't enough to make a living now-a-days? Eh...who knew

I have to disagree with you. Briggs over Barton doesnt turn the Jets' LB corp from adequate to sick. To me its a marginal upgrade. Good as he was last year for CHI I am not convinced that Briggs wouldnt suffer in the 3-4 ala Vilma.

Archived