OT: Chapelle's Show Shut Down Til Further Notice

:wtf:

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

'Chappelle's Show' shut down

azcentral.com

May 5, 2005 8:24 AM

Comedy Central shocked fans Wednesday with a surprise announcement that the highly anticipated third season of Dave Chappelle's show will not make its May 31 premiere date. While there was no official reason given, E! Online reports that Chappelle, 31, has been missing from the set for weeks.

"Comedy Central has suspended production on the third season of Chappelle's Show until further notice," network spokesman Tony Fox said. "All parties are optimistic that production will resume in the near future."

Last year, Chappelle, renewed with Comedy Central in a huge two-year deal, valued at $50 million by the Hollywood Reporter. Giving the comedian a large cut of backend DVD sales, the deal also set a new industry precedent.

With all of this going for him, why would Chappelle be MIA? In December, Comedy Central told the New York Post that show was behind schedule due to Chappelle's illness, and the network was forced to postpone the season debut of new episodes, originally scheduled for February.

"Dave -- and his entire production crew for that matter -- got a bit of a late start on writing season three," Fox told the New York Post in December.

In Wednesday's statement, there was no indication on how long the suspension would last. Production on the third season was supposed to begin in January.

The first season of Chapelle's Show, which debuted in January 2003, currently ranks as the all-time top-selling TV show on DVD. By the end of season two, the show was often pulling in more than three million viewers, a significant draw for basic cable.

That is a bummer. Dave C is one hilarious dude. Have season one on DVD including the famous Real World take-off. You have to go a long way to beat Chad with Tyree and Lysol :(

I'd actually tune into the North Korean Evening News before I listened to an ounce of Stern.

Howard Stern was censored heavily by the F.C.C.

You are the F.C.C. when it comes to internet message boards.

I can see why you have so much contempt for him.

It's probabyly difficult, seeing that his last show was as low budget as they come (I produced the same quality of show in my TV prod. studio in HS). He got "Rich Bitch," and now he doesn't think he can produce shows worthy of the money. That is just my opinion. Writers block? SMOKE WEED DAVE, it hasn't failed you in the past.

honestly im not dissapointed what so ever - i'd rather they took their time and got it right then be punctual and have it suck.

Somehow I don't think this show is going to air anytime soon. Chapelle should've held out for HBO instead of COMEDY CENTRAL, he could've had much more leeway with his show.

here's the update guys...

Dave Chappelle feeling the pressure

Newsweek: Exhaustion, writing, partying taking toll

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 Posted: 10:57 AM EDT (1457 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dave Chappelle is under pressure, according to a Newsweek report.

The star of Comedy Central's popular "Chappelle's Show" is exhausted due to tension, partying and creative differences with the cable channel, causing the recent halt in the show's production, the report said, citing unnamed friends and sources.

Neither Comedy Central publicist Tony Fox nor Chappelle's spokesman, Matt Labov, has discussed what caused the halt in production or how long it will last. The third season was set to premiere May 31.

"All parties are optimistic that production will resume in the near future," Comedy Central said in a statement issued Wednesday.

The Newsweek report claims Chappelle wants to delve into more controversial racial issues, unsettling Comedy Central executives, but Comedy Central and an employee in Chappelle's camp said last week the delay "is not a network issue."

Last summer, Comedy Central signed Chappelle to a deal reportedly worth $50 million for a third and fourth season of his popular sketch-comedy series.

The two-year agreement also allowed Chappelle to develop other programming for the cable channel and cut him in on DVD sales, a lucrative factor considering his series' first-season DVD sold more than 2 million copies.

Last season the show was nominated for three Emmys, including outstanding comedy series.

• 2 months later...

ok NOW i'm dissapointed

" 'Chappelle's Show' is over, man. Done," comic Charlie Murphy told TV Guide. "It took me a long time to be able to say those words, but I can say it pretty easy now, because it's the truth."

Chappelle's sudden "spiritual retreat" to South Africa on the eve of his show's third season has left the series in limbo since May. About half of a new season had been filmed before Chappelle left, Murphy said.

"I'm disappointed it ended the way it did, but I'm not angry with anybody," he said. " 'Chappelle's Show' was like the Tupac of TV shows. It came out, it got everybody's attention, it was a bright shining star, but it burned out and for some strange reason, it burned out quick."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/03/tv.chappelle.sshow.ap/index.html

Archived