Greg Olsen

JetCane

from the Scout/Miami premium board:

Is Olsen Really a First Round Prospect?

Greg Olsen By Mike Bakas

Posted Apr 2, 2007

Former University of Miami tight end Greg Olsen is widely considered the No. 1 tight end prospect heading into this month's NFL Draft. A likely first round pick, Olsen still has doubters.

Greg Olsen will likely be the first tight end taken in the NFL Draft later this month. And he'll likely go somewhere in round one.

However, many people -- Hurricanes fans included -- wonder why he didn't always play like one in college.

At 6-foot-5 and 255 pounds, Olsen always had prototypical size. As a senior at Wayne Hills High in New Jersey, Olsen had scholarship offers to play just about anywhere. He picked Notre Dame but soon left after his brother, Christian, lost the quarterback job to Brady Quinn.

Olsen transferred to Miami, where he had a very good career.

However, he rarely gets mentioned in the same breath as former Miami All-American tight ends like Bubba Franks, Jeremy Shockey, or Kellen Winslow.

A lot of it points to the supporting cast around him. When Franks was catching balls, he had Edgerrin James and Reggie Wayne on the field with him. When Shockey, who helped lead Miami to the 2001 national championship, was at Miami he had Clinton Portis and Santana Moss around him. And when Winslow began tearing through opposing defenses, it helped having guys like Willis McGahee and Andre Johnson on the same offense.

Ever since Olsen was inserted into the starting lineup, the Hurricanes have struggled tremendously on the offensive side of the football. Inconsistent quarterback play, the lack of a game-breaker at running back, and very few difference makers at the receiver position were three reasons why opposing defenses could put so much attention on the talented tight end.

Sure, Roscoe Parrish, Sinorice Moss, and Frank Gore were quality players but they weren't the players who surrounded the tight ends who played here before Olsen.

Look no further than the 2005 season. After an All-American type performance against Florida State in the season opener, defensive coordinators realized that Olsen was far and away the best offensive weapon for the Hurricanes so he got all of their attention. The rest of his 2005 season, because of that, looked average on the production side. 2006, with just one touchdown, wasn't much better.

However, the bottom line is that Olsen's a big time football player whose numbers didn't blow anyone's socks off because opposing defensive coordinators knew he was by far the best player on offense for the Hurricanes every time they took the field.

Scout.com NFL Draft Scout, who worked in the NFL for over 30 years, talked about why Olsen will be such a high pick.

"(Greg) is a very impressive looking athlete," Marino said. "(He) runs extremely well and has the ability to pose a legitimate vertical threat at the professional level. (He) has outstanding, soft hands to catch, adjust, and secure the football. (He) has quick cutting skills. I really liked the way he got in and out of a route. (He) minimizes moves when working against zones. (He) has a real knack and feel for adjusting on the run."

While Olsen may not have made an impact like the previous tight ends at Miami did, Olsen was still a big time talent. He still needs work on his blocking skills to become a complete player, but Marino believes Olsen has a huge upside.

"(Greg) is a very smooth athletic tight end prospect, with growth potential and speed. (He) eats up turf on his open releases (got exceptional quick depth), and when he caught the ball was a real threat to advance it down the field. As a receiverm (he) is already at or near the standards as the top receiving tight ends in professional ball."

Coming from the same school that produced three of the best young tight ends in football, Olsen is actually drawing comparisons to other players.

"(He's) Similar to Todd Heap or Heath Miller in playing style, although is not near either player at the same stage as a blocker," Marino said. "(He has) lots of athletic potential and physical tools to work with and develop. Overall, I believe with added strength and the proper mindset, Greg will become a complete tight end at the professional level. (He) has mid to late top (first) round league draft potential. (He is) a near perfect fit in a "West Coast" lateral underneath passing offense."

This year's NFL Draft starts on April 28. For more draft coverage on former Hurricanes and all other prospects, check out Scout.com's NFL Draft Site for the latest.

Posters on the board all mentioned his high number of drops, which is strictly on him.

I think Olsen will be a fine player on the NFL level, prob not a pro bowler but he seems like he will be able to put a good NFL career together. That being said, I just don't see why we need him on our team. Chris Baker is more that servicable and anyone who thinks that a rookie will come in and drastically improve this team through the TE position is wrong. Its just not THAT glaring of a hole where it will have such an impact we should pick up a TE w/ our first pick. Good luck Greg Olsen...sorry your Miami team wasnt stacked....but I hope my Jets pass if youre still avaliable...

I'm tellin' ya, Greg Olsen might very well be our pick.

I still dont understand why so many people wanted a TE 2 years ago in Heath Miller, but dont want Olsen, who's got far more upside than Heath did.

For the record, I think Olsen is just as talented as Shockey and Winslow, and definitely better than overrated Bubba Franks on the packers.

Olsen does have a high bust factor though, he's either gonna be a middle tier tight end at best, or a top 5 TE down the road. He definitely needs to improve as a blocker, no question. But he should still get bigger and stronger.

I still remember that game he had vs FSU, he was incredible. I was saying to myself, wow this guy will be a top 10 pick in a couple years. The lack of talent around him was a big factor in his lack of production, but he still should have produced more despite that IMO.

It seems like all the Jets boards want to stay away from Olsen, so I kinda want to see all of them throw fits if we take Olsen! Esp if we pass on Blalock! :lol:

Olsen does have a high bust factor though, he's either gonna be a middle tier tight end at best, or a top 5 TE down the road.

Um maybe I'm just retarded but could you explain this statement to me?

He's either going to be a middle tier TE "at best" or a Top 5 TE?? Wouldn't him being a top 5 TE be his "at best". Also if he's a high bust factor, where is the part of the statement that should say "He'll either be out of the league in a few years or...". High busts don't really become middle tier unless we're talking about a top 10 pick. For a late 1st round TE to truly be a high bust he'd have to be out of the league in say 2-3 years, IMO. For example you could say Anthony Becht was a bust but not actually a "high" bust because he's still a starter in the NFL.

Barton could you explain, maybe I'm reading this incorrectly and it's just a matter of a misunderstanding.

I still dont understand why so many people wanted a TE 2 years ago in Heath Miller, but dont want Olsen, who's got far more upside than Heath did.

For the record, I think Olsen is just as talented as Shockey and Winslow, and definitely better than overrated Bubba Franks on the packers.

Olsen does have a high bust factor though, he's either gonna be a middle tier tight end at best, or a top 5 TE down the road. He definitely needs to improve as a blocker, no question. But he should still get bigger and stronger.

I still remember that game he had vs FSU, he was incredible. I was saying to myself, wow this guy will be a top 10 pick in a couple years. The lack of talent around him was a big factor in his lack of production, but he still should have produced more despite that IMO.

It seems like all the Jets boards want to stay away from Olsen, so I kinda want to see all of them throw fits if we take Olsen! Esp if we pass on Blalock! :lol:

He's not even close to Shockey, and claiming he's as good as Winslow isn't saying much. The guy can't block. He's alot more Doug jolley than he is Bubba Franks.

YOu wont get many balls thrown to you when your OLINE sucks and your QB is running for his life most of the time. These scouts act like its some great mystery why Olsen didnt put up big time numbers, pop in the tape and watch teh games. The Hurricanes OLINE was like a swinging door the last two years.

Put Olsen on the Hurricane teams that SHOCKEY had and the production would be similiar. Pop in the season opener from 2 years ago and watch Olsen dog FSU's defense for 8/137/17.1 YPC

He is going to be a good TE.

Maybe I'm old school but I think a TE should be able to block AND catch. If he can't block then he shouldn't be a 1st round pick. Heath Miller is better than Olsen. He's a stout blocker and solid pass catcher. Miller would have been a good choice a few years ago assuming we could have drafted him. Oh wait.:dohslap:

Maybe I'm old school but I think a TE should be able to block AND catch. If he can't block then he shouldn't be a 1st round pick. Heath Miller is better than Olsen. He's a stout blocker and solid pass catcher. Miller would have been a good choice a few years ago assuming we could have drafted him. Oh wait.:dohslap:

All I kept hearing was how Shockey couldnt block either coming out of Miami, and when I turn on Giant games more times than not he is doing a VERY good job out there and I dont think Tiki Barber minded running behind him as he had career years with shockey blocking. Its a stupid stereotype that all these pass catching TEs cant block, same way like you hear that all DTs "take plays off." Nevermind the fact that they are the fattest guys on the field and get tired the quickest.

Im sure Antonio Gates was a real accomplished blocker when the chargers signed him coming out of college basketball. He worked hard and got good at it.

If they dont have any real knock on a player, they just brand him with a stupid stereotype.

He's not even close to Shockey, and claiming he's as good as Winslow isn't saying much. The guy can't block. He's alot more Doug jolley than he is Bubba Franks.

I agree with that analysis.

He may well become that, but I'd like to see the Jets use their first round pick on someone with a smaller chance of busting.

Um maybe I'm just retarded but could you explain this statement to me?

He's either going to be a middle tier TE "at best" or a Top 5 TE?? Wouldn't him being a top 5 TE be his "at best". Also if he's a high bust factor, where is the part of the statement that should say "He'll either be out of the league in a few years or...". High busts don't really become middle tier unless we're talking about a top 10 pick. For a late 1st round TE to truly be a high bust he'd have to be out of the league in say 2-3 years, IMO. For example you could say Anthony Becht was a bust but not actually a "high" bust because he's still a starter in the NFL.

Barton could you explain, maybe I'm reading this incorrectly and it's just a matter of a misunderstanding.

Yeah I worded that wrongly.

What I mean, I think at worst he's probably a middle tier tight end, probably like Chris Baker, maybe slightly better. At best, he'll be a top 5 tight end down the road (without Pennington as his QB).

If Penny is the QB, I doubt Olsen will be much of anything special. But you never know, as Pennington has never worked with a TE of Olsen's caliber, despite Baker being above average imo.

hmmmmmm yeah I buy the Jolley comparison alittle, as both underachieved (jolley in the pros, Olsen in college). I even made that comparison myself a few weeks ago. But Olsen is better than Jolley without question jmo. He's definitetly more Doug Jolley than Bubba Franks, but both Franks and Jolley suck, at least thats how I feel.

Shockey is probably alittle tougher physically than Olsen, but I think Olsen actually has better hands. Winslow couldnt block a damn either, but he's showed this past season that he's a top flight tier TE imo.

You can improve as a blocker with teaching and getting stronger. You cant teach receiving skills and natural talent, which Olsen has.

If you look at all the great pass catching TEs (Gates, Gonzalez, Shockey, Winslow etc etc) almost all of them were labeled as poor blocking tight ends out of college, but every one of them has improved in this area. I think Olsen can do the same.

I am definitely open to taking Olsen at 25, but I'd rather have Darrelle Revis though he likely wont be there.

YOu wont get many balls thrown to you when your OLINE sucks and your QB is running for his life most of the time. These scouts act like its some great mystery why Olsen didnt put up big time numbers, pop in the tape and watch teh games. The Hurricanes OLINE was like a swinging door the last two years.

Put Olsen on the Hurricane teams that SHOCKEY had and the production would be similiar. Pop in the season opener from 2 years ago and watch Olsen dog FSU's defense for 8/137/17.1 YPC

That Miami Oline was a disgrace. Living down here in SW FL, I'm a casual Cane fan you could say, and I watch probably half their games maybe that are on TV (definitely watch the rivalry and big games) and that Oline was pathetic.

The canes will be much better next year if they improve the Oline. They have the QB in Wright, the RB in Javarris James (only a fresh last year), WR Sam Shields (only a fresh last year) and the defense should be better. Safety Kenny Phillips will be a star.

He may well become that, but I'd like to see the Jets use their first round pick on someone with a smaller chance of busting.

and also I'd also like to draft a player that will have more of an effect than 2.5 catches a game at best-you get a lot more bang for your buck with an every down player-which unfortunately (for Olsen and Drew Rosenhaus) a TE is NOT in this day and age

That Miami Oline was a disgrace. Living down here in SW FL, I'm a casual Cane fan you could say, and I watch probably half their games maybe that are on TV (definitely watch the rivalry and big games) and that Oline was pathetic.

The canes will be much better next year if they improve the Oline. They have the QB in Wright, the RB in Javarris James (only a fresh last year), WR Sam Shields (only a fresh last year) and the defense should be better. Safety Kenny Phillips will be a star.

Kyle Wright is a big time talent.

Great article Cane!

Barton I agree I can't understand why Jets fans wanted Heath Miller but don't want Olsen too, and I also would love to read these boards explode once Olsen is picked.

But besides all that I think Olsen will be a great pro and a sure upgrade over what we have.

Great article Cane!

Barton I agree I can't understand why Jets fans wanted Heath Miller but don't want Olsen too, and I also would love to read these boards explode once Olsen is picked.

But besides all that I think Olsen will be a great pro and a sure upgrade over what we have.

except he's a total thug in the way he talks. from what i have read, he's all about self.

A Prayer....

Dear God,

Please don't allow the Jets to draft another TE in the first round as long as I'm alive on this planet.

Amen and Amen

Not to say that I want the Jets to draft Olsen (I don't), but that is just a bass ackwards way to look at things.

What do Johnny Mitchell, Anthony Becht, and Kyle Brady have to do with Greg Olsen? Not a damn thing. By that same logic, should the Bengals have passed on Carson Palmer because of David Klingler and Akili Smith?

Are you talking about Olsen? Where'd you hear that?

It was a song of his, posted here actually, about how many chicks he can get with, reffering to himself has G. Reg. He just sounded like a slime ball to me.

He could be good, i'm in no position to say he won't be, but he just doesn't sound like a guy mangini would be after.

I've met Greg and know his father and they're good people but for the 477th time, we have a receiving Tight End already with a lot of skill, we are not in need for another. We NEED a blocking Tight End and that can be fixed by simply having Sean Ryan play more TE than FB now with Barnes in the fold or by taking one in the 5th-7th round area.

that IS your tongue I see in your cheek right 5-7?

UH, no. Wright has all the tools. Its all about letting him stand upright and giving him time to play football. THe kid has an absolute laser for an arm. I like him a lot.

He was mentioned as a possible sleeper heisman candidate going into last season.

Not to say that I want the Jets to draft Olsen (I don't), but that is just a bass ackwards way to look at things.

What do Johnny Mitchell, Anthony Becht, and Kyle Brady have to do with Greg Olsen? Not a damn thing. By that same logic, should the Bengals have passed on Carson Palmer because of David Klingler and Akili Smith?

Exactly. Just chalk it up to paranoid Jet fans allowing past mistakes to dictate their future. Lets face it, JOhny Mitchell was a prima donna with mental problems. We NEVER EVER should have drafted bRADY over Sapp so that was bad karma off the bat, and Anthony Becht was a terrible reach by the Tuna. The guy was slower than christmas, he was a reach by the tuna to fill a need. He never should havew ent in the first round.

Talent wise only Mitchell could be compared to Olsen. But mitchell was a flake.

And hey, wasnt Mickey Shula pretty good for us? I know he wasnt drafted int he first round but...

If we take Olsen shouldnt we show some confidence in Tangini? They're short body of work so far deserves that.

i really can't see the Jets picking up olsen in the first round. He's a doug jolley clone, soft hands can't block. perhaps a good blocking TE in a later round. besides it doesnt seem likely he will fall to #25.

Go Chris:superman: n' Sean:superman:!!

I couldnt agree more, I would love us to get Olsen, if its one thing we need is a big target in the middle for Chad. To think we could have drafted Miller but traded our selection to Oakland for Doug Jolley I mean its like you just wanted to take the front office and go :box:

I couldnt agree more, I would love us to get Olsen, if its one thing we need is a big target in the middle for Chad. To think we could have drafted Miller but traded our selection to Oakland for Doug Jolley I mean its like you just wanted to take the front office and go :box:

Actually, the reason I'd be open to taking Olsen is for him to be a big time target for our next QB. Not Chad.

Chad just doesnt utilize the TE. Arm strength is an issue when trying to utilize a TE, no question.

Also, lets not forget where Schott jr comes from. They use the TE alot in their offense, so I'd be surprised if they passed on Olsen unless a better player was on the board which seems unlikely at this point but you never know.

Archived