Spurrier says Bring Down Flag

SouthernJet

He is gonna get in a shiiiitstorm over this..

Especially the comment on 'that damn, damn flag'..

Not sayoing he is wrong, but there a alot of those on opposite fence on this one..

NOT A POLITICAL THREAD!!

Just wondering should state employee coaches get involved in these discussions?

Updated: April 14, 2007, 11:55 PM ET

Spurrier: Flag should come down from S.C. Statehouse

Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- The Confederate flag shouldn't fly at the Statehouse, South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier said Saturday after the Game****s' spring game.

Spurrier's comments came in response to questions about something he said Friday night when he received an award from a volunteer organization. According to people at that event, Spurrier said the flag should come down.

"My opinion is we don't need the Confederate flag at our Capitol," Spurrier said Saturday. "I don't really know anybody that wants it there, but I guess there are a lot of South Carolinians that do want it there."

City Year board chairman Kerry Abel said Spurrier's remarks at his group's awards banquet Friday night caught everyone by surprise.

On a video of the banquet, Spurrier is heard saying the South Carolina-Tennessee game last year, which was featured on ESPN's "GameDay," was marred "by some clown ... waving that dang, damn Confederate flag behind the TV set. And it was embarrassing to me and I know embarrassing to our state.

"I realize I'm not supposed to get in the political arena as a football coach, but if anybody were ever to ask me about that damn Confederate flag, I would say we need to get rid of it. I've been told not to talk about that. But if anyone were ever to ask me about it, I certainly wish we could get rid of it."

Jenna Micklash, who attended the event, said the coach's comments came as he accepted a citizenship award from the group, which encourages young people to take on community improvement projects.

Micklash said Spurrier prefaced his remarks by saying the event wasn't supposed to be political and said that he doesn't usually get a chance to talk to as diverse a crowd as the one that was at the awards ceremony.

"I think everybody got kind of excited about" bringing down the flag, Micklash said later Friday. "It was one of the coolest moments I've seen."

Spurrier's predecessor, Lou Holtz, joined Clemson's football coach Tommy Bowden and both schools' head basketball coaches in calling for the flag to be removed from the Capitol dome in 2000, when the NAACP started a boycott of the state.

The flag was removed from the dome in 2000 but placed at the Confederate Soldier Monument on Statehouse grounds. The state chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People said that was not good enough and continued its boycott. The initial boycott drew wide support from inside and outside the state, but encouragement for the ongoing effort has waned in recent years.

The NCAA has prohibited the state from playing host to championship events in which the sites are deterimined in advance -- such as the basketball regionals -- since 2001 because of the Confederate flag.

Spurrier said Saturday that no one had asked him his opinion of the flag in the two season he has coached at South Carolina.

I never understood why people feel the need to fly that flag, especially at a givernment building...

Unless they plan on attacking "the north" just give up, you lost... be American, not confederate.

Its funny. My step-sister works and goes to school in South Carolina and everytime they find out shes from the North, they call her a "Yankee" and state how much they hate all "Yankees" and blah, blah, blah. Who cares. The South LOST the damn war and it still is all they can talk about, mad annoying in my opinion and the flag is just a stupid symbol of a part of the nation, that, well, lost and should be taken down.

Its funny. My step-sister works and goes to school in South Carolina and everytime they find out shes from the North, they call her a "Yankee" and state how much they hate all "Yankees" and blah, blah, blah. Who cares. The South LOST the damn war and it still is all they can talk about, mad annoying in my opinion and the flag is just a stupid symbol of a part of the nation, that, well, lost and should be taken down.

I guess if people are dumb enough to wave around a **** flag... they will be dumb enough to wave around a confederate flag...

I guess if its ****ed out I wont say it but it starts with an N... take a guess...

she must work in the sticks,,

most of the Souths Metro areas are transplanted yankeess..

I am not saying that kids may goof around, just like my friends kids get busted by relatives kids up North when they visit. They get called redneck, ,but its kids..

Its a issue still I hear in the mega sticks still, but my wifes relatives live in Catskills and they hate the 'City' folk from Metro NYC area who are moving up there for summer homes,,,its a country bumpkin thing I guess

..but all the true Southerners I know could care less about yankee/redneck civil war crap,,,old news,, time to live good and golf...

It's a part of Southern history, and quite frankly, I am sick of hearing people bitch about it. You can have a ****ing baseball team called the Yankees, but when the Confederate flag gets flown, it's a bunch of inbred racists that are living in the past. Whatever.

It's a part of Southern history, and quite frankly, I am sick of hearing people bitch about it. You can have a ****ing baseball team called the Yankees, but when the Confederate flag gets flown, it's a bunch of inbred racists that are living in the past. Whatever.

Yankees is a symbolic and historic name representing something of good intent. that flag represents nothing more than racism, slavery and the ultimate fight/loss to keep slavery. It is a racist, poorly-historic flag, and needs to be taken down.

So you'd rather be considered a hillbilly than a Yankee?

So, all Southerners are inbred, slack-jawed yokels?

Well then, yessir, I reckon I'd rather be a beer swillin', sister ****in', goat ropin', pickup drivin', 'baccer chewin', toothless hillbilly.

Racist or not, they lost the ****ing war. What are you an american or a confederate? Pick one and fly it.

Exactly. South Carolina is a state in the United States of America, not the confederacy that lost the war and ceased to exist over 140 years ago. If they want to leave the U.S. again, than fine. But assuming they do not, get rid of that f*cking flag.

I don't know what the big deal is. They're just expressing cultural diversity. Aren't we supposed to celebrate that?

http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/dixie.html

Exactly. I se no big deal. It's part of their heritage and it's very important that every person be able to share, express and participate in their cultural heritage.

Funny...all the hot women are in the South. Maybe it's because they have to work at staying and looking good while their northern counerparts dress up like nanook of the north for 6 months.

I didn't know being retarded and missing teeth was considered attractive. :P

Exactly. I se no big deal. It's part of their heritage and it's very important that every person be able to share, express and participate in their cultural heritage.

See here my good man. Patience and tolerance, and a respect for others differences and opinions. :)

I'm all for showing cultural diversity, but that is a poor type of cultural diversity. It is a symbol of past racism and slavery, and symbolizes a margin of difference in the US. That's like someone who was incarcerated for killing someone, wearing a shirt that has a knife, and says "Yeah, I killed people"

I'm all for showing cultural diversity, but that is a poor type of cultural diversity. It is a symbol of past racism and slavery, and symbolizes a margin of difference in the US. That's like someone who was incarcerated for killing someone, wearing a shirt that has a knife, and says "Yeah, I killed people"

Now, now, you are sounding awfully provincial and ethnocentric.

Well I therefore call for the Union Jack to be banned from the entire land as it is a symbol of oppression of the former American colonies and most importantly, my Irish Ancestry. Furthermore I want the Mexican flag removed from all sites within the country due to Santa Anna's murder of poor defenseless Texans at the Alamo.

This is what makes me laugh. How is it a part of their heritage? The Confederacy existed for what, 5 years maybe? It existed as a completely seperate country from the United States, how is that something to be proud of? Celebrating your heritage is when you eat corned beef on St. Patrick's Day. Waving the Confederate Flag is just Southerners apparently not realizing that they lost that war a long long time ago and not being able to get over it.

So to use the line of so many Southerners "If you don't like it here, you can giiit out." :P I'm kidding of course, but people who think the Confederate Flag shows some kind of heritage are just kidding themselves.

Archived