walter thomas....

gg

Well we don't have a 4th rounder right now. He might not last to the end of round 5. Do we pull the trigger on a guy like this at the end of round 3? I think so.

We drafted Sclegel and Smith in the 3rd round last year so I have no problem using our 3rd on a gamble like this. He's 370 pounds! Think planet theory. Yes, draft him. We could always move a player or two to get a 4th, but I think we should just draft him and roll the dice in the 3rd.

We drafted Sclegel and Smith in the 3rd round last year so I have no problem using our 3rd on a gamble like this. He's 370 pounds! Think planet theory. Yes, draft him. We could always move a player or two to get a 4th, but I think we should just draft him and roll the dice in the 3rd.

I'm a big proponent of planet theory, Raffy. A 370-lb football player who can do back flips, handstands, cartwheels, & run the 40 in under 5 seconds? It almost sounds made-up.

I'm a big proponent of planet theory, Raffy. A 370-lb football player who can do back flips, handstands, cartwheels, & run the 40 in under 5 seconds? It almost sounds made-up.

It reminded me of a fake article I read once about a basketball player no one had heard of, he was born in Africa, was 7'9" and was quick as a cat. I need to do some background on this guy.

Edit: Ok, he's real.:)

There is an article in NY Times about him today- he is some physical specimen- just does not seem like a Mangini type of player to bring in

Mangini player or not. sometimes you need someone who could be special.

Jeez, I can't believe the things people are saying about this guy on the Jets boards today. The only gamble I would take on him is as an UDFA. First, he played a few games for Oklahoma before failing out of school. He then played two games for Northwest Mississippi Community College before being arrested on some robbery charges or something and never played again. In the few games he has played in his career against subpar competition he was never that dominant. Combine that with poor conditioning which he displayed at the Texas vs the Nation game (back flips don't mean much if you can't stay on the field more than one play). I can't believe someone would give up any draft pick for a "player" like this. I prefer my draft picks to have actually shown some skills on the football field.....

:shock: That is a monster.

I wouldn't use any more than a 7th rounder on him, maybe a late 6th but that's pushing it. He's only played 2 college games and they were against nobodys. He's a beast but he'll need A LOT of work. It'll probably be 2 years before he could even get off the practice squad. Also, the robbery thing is not good. I'd definitely look at him as an UDFA though.

Using a 3rd rounder on him is a joke and no team would do that. It wouldn't make any sense to use a 1st day pick on a player that'll be on the practice squad for a couple years, especially since there are tons of better prospects that would be available. I doubt a team uses any more than a 5th round compensatory pick if they really love him and even that's probably a stretch.

Wow, he is a rare athlete though.

Jeez, I can't believe the things people are saying about this guy on the Jets boards today. The only gamble I would take on him is as an UDFA. First, he played a few games for Oklahoma before failing out of school. He then played two games for Northwest Mississippi Community College before being arrested on some robbery charges or something and never played again. In the few games he has played in his career against subpar competition he was never that dominant. Combine that with poor conditioning which he displayed at the Texas vs the Nation game (back flips don't mean much if you can't stay on the field more than one play). I can't believe someone would give up any draft pick for a "player" like this. I prefer my draft picks to have actually shown some skills on the football field.....

Can't say I disagree. I bet his poop is bigger than me, though. :bag:

Why not. He'd sure as hell fit the role of nose tackle that we desperately lack. Glad to see we at least brought him in for a chat.

How do you figure he would fill the void at NT? Defensive tackle is one of the hardest positions to play in the NFL, and requires great hand work and technique. It would take a good 2-3 years of coaching before this guy was even serviceable. And seeing he flunked out of school and has been in trouble with the law I doubt he is the sharpest tool in the shed with the greatest work ethic. In other words, it's not going to happen. If all it took was some 370lb guy to clog the middle I can go down to my local bar right now and get you somebody to fill in. It's also been stated in a few places that his conditioning sucks (handstands not withstanding) and he would have to lose a ton of weight to even think about playing in the NFL. Nick Mangold would toss this guy and his no technique all over the field. UDFA, or I would pass. JMHO....

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/walterthomas.html

I think he's a very interesting prospect for the Jets. I don't think he's going to step in, start from day 1 and solve our run D, but he might contribute right away. His conditioning sucks? So what? He's not going to start as a rookie, but spell DRob. He's only played a few games? True, but he's played a hell of a lot more than Wadsworth and the Jets took a flyer on him. BAAMF says he played a few games against sub-par comp and wasn't dominant. I give you the few games, but Oklahoma State doesn't play "sub-par" competition and as far as I can tell, he started a few as a true freshman. NW Miss CC surely doesn't play a D1 schedule, but he had 16 tackles, 5 for a loss and 4 sacks in 2 games. That's pretty good and by all accounts he showed well at the Texas all-star game.

He sounds like he'd be an awesome late round pick. Too many question marks for the first day or probably early second, but wouldn't you rather take a chance on a kid like this than Titus Adams? 5th round and up I'd be okay, 6th or 7th I'd be ecstatic. I'm happy with his football accomplishments. The big problem is that with his character and intelligence issues this regime is likely to pass. He's been arrested AND flunked out of Ok State. Not a good combo.

I think he's a very interesting prospect for the Jets. I don't think he's going to step in, start from day 1 and solve our run D, but he might contribute right away. His conditioning sucks? So what? He's not going to start as a rookie, but spell DRob. He's only played a few games? True, but he's played a hell of a lot more than Wadsworth and the Jets took a flyer on him. BAAMF says he played a few games against sub-par comp and wasn't dominant. I give you the few games, but Oklahoma State doesn't play "sub-par" competition and as far as I can tell, he started a few as a true freshman. NW Miss CC surely doesn't play a D1 schedule, but he had 16 tackles, 5 for a loss and 4 sacks in 2 games. That's pretty good and by all accounts he showed well at the Texas all-star game.

He sounds like he'd be an awesome late round pick. Too many question marks for the first day or probably early second, but wouldn't you rather take a chance on a kid like this than Titus Adams? 5th round and up I'd be okay, 6th or 7th I'd be ecstatic. I'm happy with his football accomplishments. The big problem is that with his character and intelligence issues this regime is likely to pass. He's been arrested AND flunked out of Ok State. Not a good combo.[/quote]

Not a good combo at all. Don't let Mangini see that.

Archived