Assante Samuel situation

faba

I'm one of those people. I hate going to them. I prefer to have the last image I remember of them being alive doing something they enjoyed as opposed to them being motionless in a casket.

Well if you want to get right down to it, I don't think anyone likes going to funerals and if they do, there's just something not quite right about them. But sometimes life is about doing things that you don't want to do. Sure, that person isn't going to know if you're there or not but I guarantee the rest of the family does and will appreciate it if you're there to pay your respects.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if you want to get right down to it, I don't think anyone likes going to funerals and if they do, there's just something not quite right about them. But sometimes life is about doing things that you don't want to do. Sure, that person isn't going to know if you're there or not but I guarantee the rest of the family does and will appreciate it if you're there to pay your respects.

You beat my post by like 5 seconds.

Avoiding a funeral because it's "uncomfortable" is beyond childish, nobody likes 'em, it's a show of respect.

Its not about being uncomfortable...

Do you think your dead friend would want his/her death to make you suffer? Seriously some people just flat out cant handle funerals well and take a long time to recover...

We dont know why he didnt go, so its wrong to judge him.

I'm one of those people. I hate going to them. I prefer to have the last image I remember of them being alive doing something they enjoyed as opposed to them being motionless in a casket.

Again, IMO it is not about you. It is about showing respect to the family (who has to be there) for their loss. These are my feelings. I respect yours and understand the philosophy. I think to say that the "last image" is the only one you can store in your memory vault is a stretch though. Yes, you will keep that image if you choose to view the body, but you do not have to view the body, and you can have more than one photograph in your album.

thanks & please go stand in the scumbag line. careful though, ecurb stepped in horse$hit on his way over there :)

thanks & please go stand in the scumbag line. careful though, ecurb stepped in horse$hit on his way over there :)

:rl::rl:

If he did this because of his contract he is a grade A *******... otherwise its his choice.

:rl::rl:

If he did this because of his contract he is a grade A *******... otherwise its his choice.

That's pretty much my stance. I still think he should have went but I'm not going to hold it against him but if it was due to the whole contract BS, they can't get him out of town fast enough.

Sitting out 'till game 10, and being at increased risk of injury should do wonders for his career.

And, I for one, will hold his absence from Hill's funeral against him unless he has a great excuse: A family member was sick, getting married, having a baby, having their own funeral. Otherwise, nah.....

We dont know why he didnt go, so its wrong to judge him.

To judge is to find verdict or guilt. This has no relevance here. It is about class or taste. This guy has neither. I find it ironic that your opinion of this player is validated because your assumption is in support of him, especially since the actual fans of the team he plays for are against him and you are usually the definition of a homer.

To judge is to find verdict or guilt. This has no relevance here. It is about class or taste. This guy has neither. I find it ironic that your opinion of this player is validated because your assumption is in support of him, especially since the actual fans of the team he plays for are against him and you are usually the definition of a homer.

I just don't trust what I read in the paper... you do...

The paper could be completely wrong... he could be going but just not WITH the team... the paper just says "Samuel will not be attending the funeral with the team" and everyone assumes he isnt going.

The paper could be completely wrong... he could be going but just not WITH the team... the paper just says "Samuel will not be attending the funeral with the team" and everyone assumes he isnt going.

No actually the funeral was over the weekend and it says he DID NOT attend.

Does it say why?

No it doesn't say. Considering he didn't feel like attending a charity golf tournament that he had already signed up for either, I can see how he couldn't find the time though. :roll:

No it doesn't say. Considering he didn't feel like attending a charity golf tournament that he had already signed up for either, I can see how he couldn't find the time though. :roll:

lol

I just hate trusting the paper...

Sure he was probably stupid about this... but we dont know for sure... so I dont want to label him as an ******* just yet.

Again, IMO it is not about you. It is about showing respect to the family (who has to be there) for their loss. These are my feelings. I respect yours and understand the philosophy. I think to say that the "last image" is the only one you can store in your memory vault is a stretch though. Yes, you will keep that image if you choose to view the body, but you do not have to view the body, and you can have more than one photograph in your album.

It is not a stretch because that is how I feel. Honestly, how can any of you sit there and tell me that I'm wrong for feeling what I feel?

Now, this part isn't directed at you Ryno, but to those with the POTW nominations, for telling me to go wait in the scumbag line: You can all f*ck off for all I care. Seriously. You're not me, you don't know how I feel at funerals, you are a POS for judging me and trying to tell me how I SHOULD feel. Simple as that.

You want to go to a funeral? Fine, go ahead, it's your choice. But don't f*cking tell me that I'm wrong for not going because it's my choice. Just like it was my choice not to go to my friend's funeral in January. Some of his relatives weren't judged for not going, just as I wasn't. They completely knew why I wasn't there.

As long as you keep the person in your thoughts and your heart that's all that should matter.

This f*cking place I swear.

help please. i'm doin a thesis on cause & effect of likeability over difference of opinion.

I need the ratio of good rep to neg rep for the duration of this thread. thanks

I haven't left any negative rep but it's still early. Keep running your trap f#cker. :lol:

That's pretty much my stance. I still think he should have went but I'm not going to hold it against him but if it was due to the whole contract BS, they can't get him out of town fast enough.

This I completely agree with. If he didn't go because of his contract, that is BS.

It is not a stretch because that is how I feel. Honestly, how can any of you sit there and tell me that I'm wrong for feeling what I feel?

Now, this part isn't directed at you Ryno, but to those with the POTW nominations, for telling me to go wait in the scumbag line: You can all f*ck off for all I care. Seriously. You're not me, you don't know how I feel at funerals, you are a POS for judging me and trying to tell me how I SHOULD feel. Simple as that.

You want to go to a funeral? Fine, go ahead, it's your choice. But don't f*cking tell me that I'm wrong for not going because it's my choice. Just like it was my choice not to go to my friend's funeral in January. Some of his relatives weren't judged for not going, just as I wasn't. They completely knew why I wasn't there.

As long as you keep the person in your thoughts and your heart that's all that should matter.

Ease up KS, that post really wasn't making fun of you at all. It was actually taking a shot at garb.

He did not go, period. As far as if I trust "the paper," I feel I am competent enough to assess a report and conclude thoughts based on rational deductive reasoning. To say, "I do not trust the paper" is quite a broad statement. Source is definitely something to consider when making decisions or deriving opinions, but Jesus man, I do not have the time to investigate every beat writer's report. That is why we have news reporters; to report the news. Yes, you should try to find multiple, unbiased, and objective sources, but I don't need Dan Rather to tell me Asante Samual did not attend a funeral for me to believe the story.

Here's my take on the funeral. I'm going to hold back judgement on Samuel until I get more information.

On the hold-out I guess I saw this coming as soon as the Franchise Tag was slapped on him. He had 1 good year and now wants to get huge money.

There was some quote from the Patriots spokesman. When asked how many players would be attending he said something like. For preseason games we use five buses and for regular season we use four. Lets put it this way, we're using five buses. Regardless of whether he was offered a ticket or not, that is incredibly $hitty for him to just not show up. Oh that's right, what was I thinking. $7.9 million NEVER would have got him a flight to Louisiana.

bingo.

Ease up KS, that post really wasn't making fun of you at all. It was actually taking a shot at garb.

See how upset I get just talking about funerals? Just imagine how much worse I'd be if I actually attended one.

I agree that they were not taking a shot at you, go back and reread. Joewilly actually is on your side and I think he is the one who made the statement.

I agree there are certain circumstances in which one may justify not attending a funeral. I just do not think that scenario applies in most instances and I certainly do not think Samual's absence had anything to do with personal issues with funerals in general.

I will take you're good advice & f*ck off ma man. in the meantime could you please brush up on you're reading comprehension skills? I'm on the same side of the fence as you are on this issue & said it as a joke. my bad, i'll try to remember a ks disclaimer in the future when attempting sarcasm.

yer right though, you're better suited in the newb line anyway.

Man you guys (and gals) are making a mountain out of a molehill with this funeral thing. First of all, Marquise Hill hardly ever played! It's not like he was on the field playing and practicing with Assante the whole time. This guy was a 3rd/4th stringer and quite frankly most of the time they are nowhere near the starters. Sure this may sound cold, but the NFL is a business. We, as fans, want to build it up to some glorious battle where every player on the team is a fellow soldier. But reality is they're not. They're coworkers. Some make friends, some don't. I'll use a better example of a smaller bank I once worked for with about 140 people. If someone in the audit division died, I MIGHT go to the funeral. MIGHT. Sure I worked with them, but I hardly knew them at all. Now if you're telling me the funeral is out of state and I had to fly there, even if money is not an issue, there isn't a chance in hell I'm going. Maybe I'm an arsehole and all of you are high and mighty, but I know firsthand that most feel the same way whether they want to admit it or not.

Archived