Assante Samuel situation

faba

Man you guys (and gals) are making a mountain out of a molehill with this funeral thing. First of all, Marquise Hill hardly ever played! It's not like he was on the field playing and practicing with Assante the whole time. This guy was a 3rd/4th stringer and quite frankly most of the time they are nowhere near the starters. Sure this may sound cold, but the NFL is a business. We, as fans, want to build it up to some glorious battle where every player on the team is a fellow soldier. But reality is they're not. They're coworkers. Some make friends, some don't. I'll use a better example of a smaller bank I once worked for with about 140 people. If someone in the audit division died, I MIGHT go to the funeral. MIGHT. Sure I worked with them, but I hardly knew them at all. Now if you're telling me the funeral is out of state and I had to fly there, even if money is not an issue, there isn't a chance in hell I'm going. Maybe I'm an arsehole and all of you are high and mighty, but I know firsthand that most feel the same way whether they want to admit it or not.

it's different when you're in the public spotlight, teamwork is stressed as the top and most important characteristic in your field and you're trying to get support for a huge raise. if your boss, who always stressed teamwork was at the funeral and you wanted a raise, you'd be there. not to mention endorsement deals. you think he's more or less likely to get them with this news being out? if we're talking about it, so is nike and gatorade. not saying it's necessarily cold-hearted but it's certainly stupid.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will take you're good advice & f*ck off ma man. in the meantime could you please brush up on you're reading comprehension skills? I'm on the same side of the fence as you are on this issue & said it as a joke. my bad, i'll try to remember a ks disclaimer in the future when attempting sarcasm.

yer right though, you're better suited in the newb line anyway.

ouch :Nuts:

hey back on topic...

**** TX!!!

oops wrong thread...

No one here knows the true reason why Samuel did not go- some people like myself hate to go to any funerals but you have to if a close friend or family member died. I would withhold judgement on Samuel's character without knowing the true reason.

No one here knows the true reason why Samuel did not go- some people like myself hate to go to any funerals but you have to if a close friend or family member died. I would withhold judgement on Samuel's character without knowing the true reason.

at the very least he's an idiot because this news will hurt his prospects for endorsements.

Man you guys (and gals) are making a mountain out of a molehill with this funeral thing. First of all, Marquise Hill hardly ever played! It's not like he was on the field playing and practicing with Assante the whole time. This guy was a 3rd/4th stringer and quite frankly most of the time they are nowhere near the starters. Sure this may sound cold, but the NFL is a business. We, as fans, want to build it up to some glorious battle where every player on the team is a fellow soldier. But reality is they're not. They're coworkers. Some make friends, some don't. I'll use a better example of a smaller bank I once worked for with about 140 people. If someone in the audit division died, I MIGHT go to the funeral. MIGHT. Sure I worked with them, but I hardly knew them at all. Now if you're telling me the funeral is out of state and I had to fly there, even if money is not an issue, there isn't a chance in hell I'm going. Maybe I'm an arsehole and all of you are high and mighty, but I know firsthand that most feel the same way whether they want to admit it or not.

140 is almost triple 53. Hill was a 2nd rd pick and has been with the team as long as Samual if I am not mistaken. I find it hard to believe that 53 guys do not become acquainted enough to attend another's funeral. But wait, there's more: they both played defense, which would mean they were certainly around each other quite often. If the ball boy died, that would have been like someone in the audit division; bad analogy.

it's different when you're in the public spotlight, teamwork is stressed as the top and most important characteristic in your field and you're trying to get support for a huge raise. if your boss, who always stressed teamwork was at the funeral and you wanted a raise, you'd be there. not to mention endorsement deals. you think he's more or less likely to get them with this news being out? if we're talking about it, so is nike and gatorade. not saying it's necessarily cold-hearted but it's certainly stupid.

ok now yer confusing us scumbags. are you actually implying that vying for a raise is even partial criteria for attending a funeral? I think you're in the wrong line for different reasons :rolleyes:

ok now yer confusing us scumbags. are you actually implying that vying for a raise is even partial criteria for attending a funeral? I think you're in the wrong line for different reasons :rolleyes:

i happen to think it's cold-hearted and stupid. but even the world's biggest scumbag would've gone out of self-interest, implying our boy asante is a stubborn moron.

i'm saying he should go because it's his teammate. failing to go out of decency, the rational man would still go out of self-interest. he's either an ahole, stupid or a stupid ahole.

yeah or maybe, just maybe he's not reading into this like all the do gooders in this thread are.

maybe he had a personal reason for not attending & maybe he had no idea in the world this was even team related til columnist stirred the $hit.

or maybe he's a scumbag.............I just don't know........... or care really

yeah or maybe, just maybe he's not reading into this like all the do gooders in this thread are.

maybe he had a personal reason for not attending & maybe he had no idea in the world this was even team related til columnist stirred the $hit.

or maybe he's a scumbag.............I just don't know........... or care really

you're in this thread a lot for not caring :)

140 is almost triple 53. Hill was a 2nd rd pick and has been with the team as long as Samual if I am not mistaken. I find it hard to believe that 53 guys do not become acquainted enough to attend another's funeral. But wait, there's more: they both played defense, which would mean they were certainly around each other quite often. If the ball boy died, that would have been like someone in the audit division; bad analogy.

Marquise Hill appeared in 8 games in 2005 and 4 last year. That's it. Relatively speaking I was around my audit team just as often, so the analogy still applies. Hey, if you are willing to get on a plane and fly to another state for the funeral of a coworker you only knew in passing, more power to you. I'm not.

Marquise Hill appeared in 8 games in 2005 and 4 last year. That's it. Relatively speaking I was around my audit team just as often, so the analogy still applies. Hey, if you are willing to get on a plane and fly to another state for the funeral of a coworker you only knew in passing, more power to you. I'm not.

I hope you honestly don't correlate games played with the amount of time his teammates were around him.

i'm saying he should go because it's his teammate. failing to go out of decency, the rational man would still go out of self-interest. he's either an ahole, stupid or a stupid ahole.

What self interest? he's got 3 options coming to him:

1. get paid the average of the top 5 CB's for 1 year.

2. get a new lucrative contract with NE

3. Get a new lucrative contract with another team after being traded.

They will not sit him out for the season, nor will he hold out and not be paid at all. oing to the funeral has nothing to do with that.

I hope you honestly don't correlate games played with the amount of time his teammates were around him.

Actually, yeah. Obviously he wasn't too chummy with the guy or he would have beeen at the funeral. they were nothing more than coworkers, and it does not make Assante any less of a person.

What self interest? he's got 3 options coming to him:

1. get paid the average of the top 5 CB's for 1 year.

2. get a new lucrative contract with NE

3. Get a new lucrative contract with another team after being traded.

They will not sit him out for the season, nor will he hold out and not be paid at all. oing to the funeral has nothing to do with that.

makes him look like a scum bucket for endorsements deals. like i said, look how much discussion it's created on a jets board-- you don't think nike or gatorade will think about how he (and by extention they) is/are perceived due to this before signing him to an endorsement deal?

Actually, yeah. Obviously he wasn't too chummy with the guy or he would have beeen at the funeral. they were nothing more than coworkers, and it does not make Assante any less of a person.

I'm sure there were other players that went that weren't too "chummy" with him either. The difference? They actually had the decency to go and be with the rest of their teammates.

makes him look like a scum bucket for endorsements deals. like i said, look how much discussion it's created on a jets board-- you don't think nike or gatorade will think about how he's perceived due to this before signing him to an endorsement deal?

Perceived!!?? Do you really think anyone is going to remember whether or not he attended Marquise Hill's funeral in a year?

I hate to break it to you, Ray Lewis was part of a stabbing. Since then his jersey sales are flourishing and he was on the cover of Madden. Seriously man, this is total nonsense.

he might have got more without the stabbing. nonesense? ya right, it's nonesense to think a company will be less likely to sign someone to hawk their drinks, cloths, cookies if he wasn't involved in a brutal stabbing. naive my friend.

he might have got more without the stabbing. nonesense? ya right, it's nonesense to think a company will be less likely to sign someone to hawk their drinks, cloths, cookies if he wasn't involved in a brutal stabbing. naive my friend.

That was a stabbing and yet he still has tons of endorsement deals with poweraid, Madden, underarmour, and is constantly within those NFL draft commercials as the face of the NFL welcoming the rookies. TThat was after a STABBING!!

Assante will go on just fine, not going to Marquise Hill's funeral does nothing to his bottom line. Period

That was a stabbing and yet he still has tons of endorsement deals with poweraid, Madden, underarmour, and is constantly within those NFL draft commercials as the face of the NFL welcoming the rookies. TThat was after a STABBING!!

Assante will go on just fine, not going to Marquise Hill's funeral does nothing to his bottom line. Period

you're right, what a prince. let's just agree that i hold people to a higher standard and be done with it. :)

I will take you're good advice & f*ck off ma man. in the meantime could you please brush up on you're reading comprehension skills? I'm on the same side of the fence as you are on this issue & said it as a joke. my bad, i'll try to remember a ks disclaimer in the future when attempting sarcasm.

yer right though, you're better suited in the newb line anyway.

Yes, a disclaimer would be good, thanks ;)

When I read this thread before, seeing the various posts criticizing Asante for not going, no matter the reason, really hit home with me, as I have my own issues with dealing with funerals. Then when you had quoted my post, I was already seeing red and was pissed off so the sarcasm sailed way over my head. My apologies for flying off the handle there.

With that said, if he did do it strictly based on his contract status, then yes, he is a scumbag. We just don't know that for sure.

you're right, what a prince. let's just agree that i hold people to a higher standard and be done with it. :)

OK, So if a Floridian Jets fan on this site dies, you're flying to the funeral? Because chances are you have a closer relationship than Hill and Samuel did.

C'mon man, the defense is made up of approximately 25 players. I work in an office that, ironically, has about 25 people. I would fly to catmandoo if one of them drowned tragically. I am sure he had enough frequent flier miles to travel to Louisana...

:good_one::good:

:beer_Orcish::shake::sign0098:

:cheers:

ya awesome analogy, an online aquaintance who i've never met is the same as a guy who is on the same team and the same side of the ball with 27 other guys who practices together every day, who studies film together, travels together, eats together, plays together. why don't you just give him a POT-W nom too for such a fantastic analogy. gotta run catch a plane, a bumblebee died in new zealand and i'm giving the eulogy.

Archived