Agree or disagree? What makes the Pats a good team?

Kentucky Jet

July 08, 2007- Reiss of the Boston Globe

Will-ing to chat

In a section of Sunday's Boston Globe football notes, 12-time Pro Bowl guard Will Shields reflects on the four toughest defensive linemen he faced over his career (1993-2006). No Patriot made the cut, although Shields -- who faced the Patriots seven times over his career -- did recall a tough battle with nose tackle Keith Traylor in 2004.

Shields is now trying his hand as an analyst for Sirius NFL radio. His thoughts on the Patriots?

"When I look at the way the Patriots played last year, I saw a team that was counted out and was supposed to scrap the season based on the guys that were no longer on the team, and the guys they brought in," he said. "Yet you watched them down the stretch, and they played great football.

"What I think the Patriots do very well is not asking people to do things out of the ordinary. They ask guys to play their position and play it well, and don't try to complicate it with a lot of crazy things. On defense, for example, just hold your gap. Everyone has their roles and it all comes together as one."

As an interior lineman, Shields would most often battle with the nose tackle in the Patriots' 3-4 defense. So he never faced end Richard Seymour, but heard plenty about what that challenge was like.

"Talking to [left tackle] Willie Roaf, he'd say he was an unbelievable beast of a player," Shields said. "He's one of those guys you don't want to play every week because he makes you work from beginning to end. I've also been watching Ty Warren and he's growing into himself. That's another thing you see with the Patriots, the guys get better as the weeks go on, and you watch how new guys are plugged into the defense and it still keeps working. That's a reflection on not only the players' ability, but also the coaching staff."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best coach in the league, best big game Quarterback in the league, best Defensive Line in the league, leaders on both sides of the ball, solid Offensive Line, just all around great players... we can go on and on.

Best coach in the league, best big game Quarterback in the league, best Defensive Line in the league, leaders on both sides of the ball, solid Offensive Line, just all around great players... we can go on and on.

DAMN jOE, WHY YOU GOT YOUR NOSE SO FAR UP THESE PATSIES* A$$'S..:box:

They had all that last year and we still put the Shwoopin' on them ........IN THEIR HOUSE ,sure they added a couple of new guys to thier team, which are good ,but they still have to put it all together on the field.

They had all that last year and we still put the Shwoopin' on them ........IN THEIR HOUSE ,sure they added a couple of new guys to thier team, which are good ,but they still have to put it all together on the field.

7-9 Mike

:P :p The Jets where 1-2 against the Pats last year finally getting destroyed in the worst Play-off defeat in team history. But if your happy with that then. ;) Enjoy.

shasta ?? isn't that an old soda that nobody use to drink? anyway, do me a favor shasta and try to be here week 1 ok .I will be here to ,to eat my crow ,but will you?????

don't waste your time or effortr Mike, she will be banned by week #1

shasta ?? isn't that an old soda that nobody use to drink? anyway, do me a favor shasta and try to be here week 1 ok .I will be here to ,to eat my crow ,but will you?????

shasta will be gone with the wind on September 10th either by being a coward after a loss and not showing up to take the lumps (unlike Gainzo or Garb) or getting banned for being the dick it has always been

shasta will be gone with the wind on September 10th either by being a coward after a loss and not showing up to take the lumps (unlike Gainzo or Garb) or getting banned for being the dick it has always been

I am really looking forward to week one. More so than most years.

... the guys they brought in," he said. "Yet you watched them down the stretch, and they played great football.

"What I think the Patriots do very well is not asking people to do things out of the ordinary. They ask guys to play their position and play it well, and don't try to complicate it with a lot of crazy things. On defense, for example, just hold your gap. Everyone has their roles and it all comes together as one."

you watch how new guys are plugged into the defense and it still keeps working. That's a reflection on not only the players' ability, but also the coaching staff."

Good coaching puts the players in a position to win.

Then, it's up to the players to execute and make it happen.

Good coaching puts the players in a position to win.

Then, it's up to the players to execute and make it happen.

all these new receivers they've signed-does anybody else think there are going to be growing pains but me? What about the running game?Who is going to be the back to get them the 800 plus yards that Dillon got them last year? How about the aging LBer corps? Samuel?...7-9 JC 7-9

all these new receivers they've signed-does anybody else think there are going to be growing pains but me? What about the running game?Who is going to be the back to get them the 800 plus yards that Dillon got them last year? How about the aging LBer corps? Samuel?...7-9 JC 7-9

I'm not ready to make any predictions for 2007; I was really commenting on past successes they have had.

I'm not ready to make any predictions for 2007; I was really commenting on past successes they have had.

yea I know I'm just doing it to piss off any and all Pats fans and media types who are already buying shining wax for their next Lombardi trophy-I mean it's been 6 years in a row of this crap at this time of year

No denying good coaching by the Pats and their staff over the last few years but you can not make non talented players a good team -the players have to come to the table with abilities.

They beat us 2 out of 3 times, they were and still are the better team.

Laurence Maroney will run for 1,000+ yards and Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk should do a decent job giving him rest.

An aging LB core? Yes but they still found a way to improve with the signing of Adalius Thomas.

Samuel would be their only big loss. Hobbs is an under-rated #2, but he certainly is no #1 so it would be interesting to see how Randal Gay would do if and when he's thrusted back into the starting lineup.

They have #12 at quarterback..one of the clutchest QB's of all time..without #12 Pats never see a super bowl..period..... Hypothetical...If Brady goes down Game One in 2007.. What is the Pat's record this year...maybe 7-9...maybe

You mean more than there was last year with Caldwell and Gaffney??? Didn't the Pats Beat the Jets in week two??? So it's going to be worse with Moss & Stallworth??? Do you think the Pats should sit Moss and Stallworth and play Caldwell and Gaffeny since they've been there a year?:rolleyes: Please,, you can create all the little dreams you want in your head, but reality is just a couple months away. ;)

You mean more than there was last year with Caldwell and Gaffney??? Didn't the Pats Beat the Jets in week two??? So it's going to be worse with Moss & Stallworth??? Do you think the Pats should sit Moss and Stallworth and play Caldwell and Gaffeny since they've been there a year?:rolleyes: Please,, you can create all the little dreams you want in your head, but reality is just a couple months away. ;)

Mrs Spin Doctor is in the house

See, SoFlaJets ask a simple question and the resident troller turns it into a Jets bash...you truly are just a trouble maker..

yea I know I'm just doing it to piss off any and all Pats fans and media types who are already buying shining wax for their next Lombardi trophy-I mean it's been 6 years in a row of this crap at this time of year

If your goal was to piss us off it would have been much more effective to not make it known to us. Just 'sayin. :lol:

Mrs Spin Doctor is in the house

See, SoFlaJets ask a simple question and the resident troller turns it into a Jets bash...you truly are just a trouble maker..

Spin Doctor???? How so???? Let me get this straight, the O.P., made the claim that the Pats WR's would struggle because they were new to the system, then he asked if anyone else felt the same. Now I pointed out the simple fact last years WR's were new to the system as well, and much less talented then this years group, but still had little trouble beating the JEts. Let me connect the dots for you, this is what people with an I.Q. call "a rational response" that speaks directly to the O.P's question. Now you may not like it, but none the less it is a perfectly valid response. Let me put it in even simpler terms, if Caldwell and Gaffeny didn't have any trouble against the Jets, then Moss and Stallworth will destroy them. Now Feel free to continue you dreams, at least for the next couple months. That is all.;)

Spin Doctor???? How so???? Let me get this straight, the O.P., made the claim that the Pats WR's would struggle because they were new to the system, then he asked if anyone else felt the same. Now I pointed out the simple fact last years WR's were new to the system as well, and much less talented then this years group, but still had little trouble beating the JEts. Let me connect the dots for you, this is what people with an I.Q. call "a rational response" that speaks directly to the O.P's question. Now you may not like it, but none the less it is a perfectly valid response. Let me put it in even simpler terms, if Caldwell and Gaffeny didn't have any trouble against the Jets, then Moss and Stallworth will destroy them. Now Feel free to continue you dreams, at least for the next couple months. That is all.;)

it was a simple question, not a claim: "anyone but me think the patsies* will have growing pains". Nowhere in that sentence do I see anything about the Jets..nowhere does he say anything about Gaffney or the other schmo...you take everything said and turn it into a Jets bash..THATS THE SPIN.

and as far as Moss, Welker scraes me more. Moss is just a TO wanna be except that TO can still play....

it was a simple question, not a claim: "anyone but me think the patsies* will have growing pains". Nowhere in that sentence do I see anything about the Jets..nowhere does he say anything about Gaffney or the other schmo...you take everything said and turn it into a Jets bash..THATS THE SPIN.

and as far as Moss, Welker scraes me more. Moss is just a TO wanna be except that TO can still play....

THe fact that Caldwell and Gaffeny had little problem with the Jets, wasn't a bash of the Jets outright, it was an example. An example that counters his belief that Moss and Stallworth will have more growing pains than Caldwell & Gaffeny did. As for Welker he has more long term value than the other WR's, but your kidding yourself if you belive Moss & Stallworth won't have an impact this season. Stallworth is every bit the player Branch was, with more speed and greater TD production, Moss even at 75% of his prime is better than any WR the Patriots had on the field last season. Look you can deny it all you want, but when the Pats meet the Jets on opening day, your going to see formations with Moss, Stallworth on the out side, and Welker and Watson on the Inside. Sorry but those match ups are going to hurt alot of teams this year, starting with the Jets. Don't think it's going to happen??? Check back with me after the game.;)

Archived