Tom Rock on E Smith's injury

flgreen

the prospect of having James Ihedigbo or Raymond Ventrone as their second-string safeties.

Watch these guys friday night and see what you think. One of them could end up on the team. Ihedigbo is an interesting prospect, hasnt looked bad.

Watch these guys friday night and see what you think. One of them could end up on the team. Ihedigbo is an interesting prospect, hasnt looked bad.

Of course we don't know but this doesn't sound like something that would be said about a year ender.

""Eric's had a very good training camp, and he had a very good off-season," the coach said. "He was one of our off-season award winners as well. Brad [smith] was the overall winner, but Eric was at Brad's heels throughout the program.

"I think he's shown some excellent range in the deep part of the field. He's a good-sized safety. You have the ability to bring him down in the box. Then with the ball skills and range, that's a nice combination. And he's improved a lot in his communication."

As for Smith being helped away from the grass field, Mangini issued a response that can be dusted off for any player that any reporter wants to ask about for the foreseeable future:

"Just like everybody, he's been banged up before. He's a pretty diligent worker. He'll be back as soon as he can."

i hope he is back soon

flgreen, who knows at this point what the injury is or how long it will be...

When i saw him being helped off the field Saturday it didnt look good, either, but he was back on the field yesterday.

He has now reinjured the same leg, and even if it doesnt require surgery, i hope they give him some time to heal up.

When i saw him being helped off the field Saturday it didnt look good, either, but he was back on the field yesterday.

He has now reinjured the same leg, and even if it doesnt require surgery, i hope they give him some time to heal up.

I will wait to see what the injury really is before- I Panic! lol

In most cases a hamstring is much better then a blown up knee. Unless the Hammy is completly torn of course.

This a lil better news anyhow

Jets' Smith injured during practice

By ANDREW GROSS

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: August 8, 2007)

HEMPSTEAD - Eric Smith was helped off the field this morning after the safety clutched at the back of his right leg just above the knee during Jets' practice at Hofstra.

The second-year pro had been playing very well in training camp, taking over most first-team reps from Erik Coleman. Jets coach Eric Mangini would not specify the injury - it appeared to be a hamstring problem - nor give a timetable for Smith's return.

"He's gotten quite a few reps in camp and he'll continue to get reps whenever that is," Mangini said. "Just like anybody else, he's been banged up before. I'm not sure on a timetable but he's a diligent worker. He'll be back as quick as he can."

Smith was hurt in a 7-on-7 drill as he tried to cover Stacy Tutt, who caught a touchdown pass from Kellen Clemens in the back left corner of the end zone. He was unable to put weight on his leg as Coleman and the medical staff helped him off the field and was later seen on a side field trying to stretch out his leg.

Read more about this story tomorrow in The Journal News and get all your Jets news on Andrew Gross' blog at www.jets.lohudblogs.com.

I completely ripped my right hammy apart as a HS freshman... it took almost two years to completely heal and for my speed to return to pre-injury condition. But, I could always put weight on my leg.... walking was impossible, but I could put weight on it. While I understand the whole Mangini no comment on injuries stuff, at times like this it's frustrating.

I completely ripped my right hammy apart as a HS freshman... it took almost two years to completely heal and for my speed to return to pre-injury condition. But, I could always put weight on my leg.... walking was impossible, but I could put weight on it. While I understand the whole Mangini no comment on injuries stuff, at times like this it's frustrating.

could you stretch it though? I think i came close to that on my quad, but i could walk, just couldn't run, or stretch it. I'm just wondering if you and him have similar deals.

perhaps each injury is different.

About 15 years ago I badly strained a hammy while playing hockey. No weight on it for sure.

I couldn't walk on it for about a month.

perhaps each injury is different.

About 15 years ago I badly strained a hammy while playing hockey. No weight on it for sure.

I couldn't walk on it for about a month.

No arguement there at all... each injury is different. I could not do anything... no stretching, I could not even sit down unless my hammy was off the chair and my leg was straight. I had to slouch in the chair, and have my leg resting on something higher than the chair was. Standing was no problem at all. I could put my full wieght on the leg. I could not sit in a car though.... no way, unless I had the entire back seat to keep my leg straight. My leg was black, blue and purple from near my waist to below the back of my knee.

That was a long time ago however... and treatments have improved so much that I also don't predict the sort of recovery time I had.... that was before ultra-sound, and heck, they didn't even know enough to ice it. Yes, I am older than most fossils....:bag:

No arguement there at all... each injury is different. I could not do anything... no stretching, I could not even sit down unless my hammy was off the chair and my leg was straight. I had to slouch in the chair, and have my leg resting on something higher than the chair was. Standing was no problem at all. I could put my full wieght on the leg. I could not sit in a car though.... no way, unless I had the entire back seat to keep my leg straight. My leg was black, blue and purple from near my waist to below the back of my knee.

That was a long time ago however... and treatments have improved so much that I also don't predict the sort of recovery time I had.... that was before ultra-sound, and heck, they didn't even know enough to ice it. Yes, I am older than most fossils....:bag:

I hear yeah, I came away from a mod interview here with a similar soreness where I couldn't sit down comfortably either. hurt like hell when I coughed too . I wasn't forced to put a bag over my head though.

Oh, you should try the bag, especially during Jets playoff games. Hyper ventilating is not a good thing. It makes ya dizzy.

hahaha......... seriously I don't think i've ever been around anyone with a torn hammy anywhere near what you described. that sounds like some wicked pain.

Does not sound serious.

JETS' BACKS TO THE WALL

LOSE ANOTHER DEFENDER TO INJURY

By BRIAN LEWIS

Smith returned to the field for the evening session. He did not work with the team but was stretching on the sideline with his hamstring wrapped.

brian.lewis@nypost.com

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=587090#post587090

Mangini: let this friggin' kid heal for a couple of days. 2-3 days of practice in early August, while helpful, isn't going to make a night & day difference in Oct-Dec. Having a torn knee ligament most definitely will.

Archived