Is David Barrett good?

Xcel2NuFX

I've watched the games, I've read the posts, but David Barrett is going to be starting again this year. Heres a guy that gets ripped on year after year and continues to squeek by on the edge of mediocrity. Thats obviously my opinion but we can't seem to get him off the field? Am I being hard on DB? Could he possibly not be as bad as I've always thought he was?

I've watched the games, I've read the posts, but David Barrett is going to be starting again this year. Heres a guy that gets ripped on year after year and continues to squeek by on the edge of mediocrity. Thats obviously my opinion but we can't seem to get him off the field? Am I being hard on DB? Could he possibly not be as bad as I've always thought he was?

He wont be starting this year...the starting 2 will either be Dyson and Revis or Dyson and Miller, we shouldnt be seeing Barrett in anything more then a nickel or dime formation.

David Barrett is a good spot starter who shows up in big games, but is not an every game starter. He could be a very good Nickelback / Dimeback, but he gives his receivers way too big of a cushion for my taste. He would start on some of the under .500 teams in this league. I do not mind having him on this team, just would like his salary cap to be a little lower. Everyone gets the impression that I hate Barrett, I don't, I like him, just not as a starter.

He wont be starting this year...the starting 2 will either be Dyson and Revis or Dyson and Miller, we shouldnt be seeing Barrett in anything more then a nickel or dime formation.

Barrett is the starting corner as of today.

Barrett and Dyson

right because JM is injured and Revis has been on the team for less than a week...

By week 1 JM should be the starter and Revis will be competing by week 3 or so imo.

Miller wasnt #1 before he was injured and now he surely wont be after missing time...

Revis will not start until after the bye week if at all...

Miller wasnt #1 before he was injured and now he surely wont be after missing time...

Revis will not start until after the bye week if at all...

Miller was starting opposite Dyson in TC prior to his injury...

Revis better be starting before the bye week if he has to beat out Barrett for the spot.

If Barrett were faster he could be a very good player.He's physical,can tackle and shows good technique,but he has to give a big cushion to the faster receivers.Thats why he's inconsistent,he can shut down the big physical receivers but needs to play conservative against the burners.

If Barrett were faster he could be a very good player.He's physical,can tackle and shows good technique,but he has to give a big cushion to the faster receivers.Thats why he's inconsistent,he can shut down the big physical receivers but needs to play conservative against the burners.

I agree. That's why Barrett was a better fit for Herm's cover/Tampa 2. We got rid of good corners, like Glenn, for big run support/zone corners like Barrett. Mangini/Sutton stress versatility and Barrett is a little slow to try to lock down speedsters. IMO, Barrett is adequate, but would be nice to upgrade. He is grossly overpaid, but I wouldn't worry about him having to spot start due to injuries to the others and I think he is still a better option than Miller at this point.

I agree. That's why Barrett was a better fit for Herm's cover/Tampa 2. We got rid of good corners, like Glenn, for big run support/zone corners like Barrett. Mangini/Sutton stress versatility and Barrett is a little slow to try to lock down speedsters. IMO, Barrett is adequate, but would be nice to upgrade. He is grossly overpaid, but I wouldn't worry about him having to spot start due to injuries to the others and I think he is still a better option than Miller at this point.

I agree. Miller has to get healthy and continue to make progress. I'd like to believe at some point, if not this year, Revis and Miller will be the starting duo. In a division that includes opposing WRs like Evans in Buffalo, Chambers and Ginn in Miami and Moss and Stallworth in NE, speed at CB is essential for the Jets to succeed.

Barrett will be starting against NE...he is tough and very aggressive when it comes to stripping the ball-very serviceable CB IMO...Justin Miller has shown NOTHING as to being able to BE a starting NFL CB-I think Drew Coleman-a 6th round pick is a better CB...we all HOPE that someday Justin "gets it" he hasn't yet

right because JM is injured and Revis has been on the team for less than a week...

By week 1 JM should be the starter and Revis will be competing by week 3 or so imo.

man i hope you are right, Miller for team MVP. he's a stud.

I think Barret gets lucky with a the majority of the picks he gets. I will never let him off the after the KC opener. I know it was a long time ago but the way they just picked on him is something that other teams have done since. If he is having a great training camp like they say he is then give him the nod, but the second he gives up a big play i say pull him and get someone else in there.

David actually played very well his first season here. He has tailed off since then, and perhaps he is not the ideal corner for the Mangini system. But he is a useful player, and I think he fits in nicely in the Nickel, and as a rotation type.

barrett's been inconsistent mostly i think because of injuries. he's still the best CB we have next to Dyson. he'll be starting, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Miller competing for playing time as the season rolls on. miller still has to show he can be a starting caliber CB.

as far as revis i'd be surprised if he starts opposite dyson the 1st half of the season, but he's got a good head and good skills and the organization obviously thinks pretty highly of him so i wouldn't rule it out. it might have more to do though with the play of the other CB's than his.

Archived