It's time to Sink or Swim

Green Jets & Ham

Oh sure, occasionally you can mix and match or give certain players a day off, but this is my #1 lineup for the remainder of the season and the one I sink or swin with if I'm Joe Torre

SS Derek Jeter

CF/LF Hideki Matsui

3B Alex Rodriguez

RF Gary Sheffield

LF/DH Ruben Sierra

DH/CF Bernie Williams

1B Jason Giambi

C Jorge Posada

2B Robinson Cano

** On days when I DH Bernie and start Sierra in LF, Matsui Gets the start in CF

** On days when I DH Sierra and start Bernie in CF, Matsui Gets the start in LF

This also Gives two older vets, Bernie and Sierra, a chance to DH half the week and play the OF the other half ... less wear and tear for both men

Simply put, I hate how under-utilized Ruben Sierra is ... I've had a problem with that for quite some time ... he's a SH who can do damage from either side of the plate, and it's high-time we start using that stick on a regular basis

But barring injuries, that's the team I have to sink or swim with ... Tino had a hot stretch early in the season, but he is no-longer an everyday player ... Giambi either Gets his stroke untracked or he doesn't, but henceforth he needs to earn that massive paycheck or not ... wanna rest the SOB one day a week and start Tino, fine, but henceforth this man either earns his keep or not {and he Gets every chance to find his stroke and do so}

Matsui knows how to situational hit so I like him in the 2 hole ... and he'll also see Good pitches to hit in front of Arod and Shef

Jeter at 1 and Cano at 9 Gives us back-to-back players who can run the bases ... nice table setters for the hitters to follow ... and it also adds a lefty/righty combination when the lineup turns over

Screw the lefty/righty thing at 3 and 4 ... it's time to place our two best hitters in those spots and let them do damage or not

Lastly, with this lineup the only place you are lacking lefty/righty is 3 and 4 ... everywhere else it breaks along those lines ... and at 3 and 4 who cares, those are our BIG THUMPERS and both men can Just as easily cream righties as lefties when they Get on a roll

IT'S TIME TO STOP JERKIN AROUND .... LET'S COMMITT TO A FRIGGIN LINEUP AND MAKE A RUN, OR NOT ... A LINEUP WE ARE WILLING SINK OR SWIM WITH!!

If you want to shuffle some of these nine players higher and lower in the batting order on occasion based on WHO'S RED HOT and WHO'S ICE COLD, fine by me, but let's committ to THESE NINE as our primary starters and SINK or SWIM

JMO

SS Derek Jeter

LF Tony Womack

3B Alex Rodriguez

RF Gary Sheffield

CF Hideki Matsui

DH Ruben / Bernie

1B Tino Martinez

C Jorge Posada

2B Robinson Cano

I would move the batting order around a bit depending on matchups and who is hot (Ruben\Bernie would slide down).

But my point is this. This team is not winning a Championship with both Ruben and Giambi in the field.

Giambi sits and never plays again if I am in charge. Tino at least plays better DEF.

AROD does go to 3rd because of his MVP like season.

Need Womack in the lineup because they have to start running more.

Well, no matter what the lineup, leave it alone for at least a week or two. This team isn't made up of young bucks anymore. They're like older sports cars on winter mornings. You need to let them warm up. You cannot bring in guys from the bench who are 35+ and expect them to hit. Ain't gonna happen! They need lots of ABs.

Oh sure, occasionally you can mix and match or give certain players a day off, but this is my #1 lineup for the remainder of the season and the one I sink or swin with if I'm Joe Torre

SS Derek Jeter

CF/LF Hideki Matsui

3B Alex Rodriguez

RF Gary Sheffield

LF/DH Ruben Sierra

DH/CF Bernie Williams

1B Jason Giambi

C Jorge Posada

2B Robinson Cano

** On days when I DH Bernie and start Sierra in LF, Matsui Gets the start in CF

** On days when I DH Sierra and start Bernie in CF, Matsui Gets the start in LF

This also Gives two older vets, Bernie and Sierra, a chance to DH half the week and play the OF the other half ... less wear and tear for both men

Simply put, I hate how under-utilized Ruben Sierra is ... I've had a problem with that for quite some time ... he's a SH who can do damage from either side of the plate, and it's high-time we start using that stick on a regular basis

But barring injuries, that's the team I have to sink or swim with ... Tino had a hot stretch early in the season, but he is no-longer an everyday player ... Giambi either Gets his stroke untracked or he doesn't, but henceforth he needs to earn that massive paycheck or not ... wanna rest the SOB one day a week and start Tino, fine, but henceforth this man either earns his keep or not {and he Gets every chance to find his stroke and do so}

Matsui knows how to situational hit so I like him in the 2 hole ... and he'll also see Good pitches to hit in front of Arod and Shef

Jeter at 1 and Cano at 9 Gives us back-to-back players who can run the bases ... nice table setters for the hitters to follow ... and it also adds a lefty/righty combination when the lineup turns over

Screw the lefty/righty thing at 3 and 4 ... it's time to place our two best hitters in those spots and let them do damage or not

Lastly, with this lineup the only place you are lacking lefty/righty is 3 and 4 ... everywhere else it breaks along those lines ... and at 3 and 4 who cares, those are our BIG THUMPERS and both men can Just as easily cream righties as lefties when they Get on a roll

IT'S TIME TO STOP JERKIN AROUND .... LET'S COMMITT TO A FRIGGIN LINEUP AND MAKE A RUN, OR NOT ... A LINEUP WE ARE WILLING SINK OR SWIM WITH!!

If you want to shuffle some of these nine players higher and lower in the batting order on occasion based on WHO'S RED HOT and WHO'S ICE COLD, fine by me, but let's committ to THESE NINE as our primary starters and SINK or SWIM

JMO

I like it. The love affair that Joe has with Womack is beyond me. Bring him off the bench as a pinch runner or a guy who can bunt and move a guy over. You have guys who can run like Jeter, A-Rod and Cano.

Giambi-Tino. Giambi can't hit, can't field. At least Tino can field. Giambi to the bench.

Sierra is a good call. He needs to play.

If I was the Yankees I would definitely get Sierra his at bats- the guy is a good hitter- I like to emphasize defense so Tino would be at first- whatever hitting he can bring is a plus.

LOL.....A outfield of Bernie in Center and Sierra in left.

A.)Horrible defensively.

B)Neither will hold up injury wise.

GS, you need to read it again ... I don't have both players starting in the OF simultaniously

The way I drew it up, one is always DH'ing when the other is in the OF

Read the two Quotes colored in blue and the sentence directly below them

GS, you need to read it again ... I don't have both players starting in the OF simultaniously

The way I drew it up, one is always DH'ing when the other is in the OF

Read the two Quotes colored in blue and the sentence directly below them

That would work Ham.....somewhat.

Won't last though.....Wang and Cano for either Wily Mo Pena , Griffey or Dunn.

Do you pull the trigger?

and Giambi chained to the bench as Max said.

Can we chain him to his seat on the airplane? I am cool with playing with a roster of 24 only.

Anyone remember the year every team only carried 24 to save money? I think Billy Martin was the manager.

Can we chain him to his seat on the airplane? I am cool with playing with a roster of 24 only.

Anyone remember the year every team only carried 24 to save money? I think Billy Martin was the manager.

Max, the best was the day Martin placed all 25 names in a hat and picked them out one at a time to set his lineup for that game ... I think he had Guidry in CF and Munson at SS :mrgreen:

I forget the exact lineup but it was hilarious

I think he did that for the conclusion of the pine tar game, as a means of protest for the commish overturning the call?

Won't last though.....Wang and Cano for either Wily Mo Pena , Griffey or Dunn.

Do you pull the trigger?

trading for guys like griffey is what created this mess in the first place. while an upgrade to bernie williams, i think he still has a few years at $12M per left on his contract. the yankess do not need to add anymore bad contracts, they need to unload them.

Max, the best was the day Martin placed all 25 names in a hat and picked them out one at a time to set his lineup for that game ... I think he had Guidry in CF and Munson at SS :mrgreen:

I forget the exact lineup but it was hilarious

I think he did that for the conclusion of the pine tar game, as a means of protest for the commish overturning the call?

I am not sure how he got the names. But I remember watching the conclusion on the pine tar game.

The Royals landed that day and the Yankees were still fighting the ruling. They lost and charged people like $1 or $2 to get in. Only 1,000 people showed up.

Martin put Guidry in CF. He put Mattingly (a lefty) at 2B. Mattingly had a chance with a hit to extend a hitting streak that had since expired.

PLAY BALL. George Frazier appeals the play at 1b. Safe. Then at 2b. Safe. Gotta love Billy Martin just for that. He was saying that Brett missed the bag on his home run trot. CLASSIC.

Oh and Jerry Mumphrey was in the original lineup and had since been traded! Too bad the leage didn't make him fly back. :mrgreen:

Martin pulled the names out of the hat for a lineup back in 1977. The team was slumping at the time and Martin did it to shake things up a bit.

I think i have the pine tar game on tape somewhere. I don't know if I have the conclusion of it though. I would have to look.

Brett OWNED Gossage at that time. Acutally Brett OWNED the Yankees. They could never get him out.

I'm gonna take a look at retrosheet and see if i can find the lineup for that 1977 game.

1 - 2B Robinson Cano

2 - SS Derek Jeter

3 - RF Gary Sheffield

4 - 3B Alex Rodriguez

5 - LF Hideki Matsui

6 - DH Rueben Sierra

7 - C Jorge Posada

8 - 1B Tino Martinez

CF - Bernie Williams

• 3 weeks later...
Tino had a hot stretch early in the season, but he is no-longer an everyday player

Giambi either Gets his stroke untracked or he doesn't, but henceforth he needs to earn that massive paycheck or not

Wanna rest the SOB one day a week and start Tino, fine, but henceforth this man either earns his keep or not {and he Gets every chance to find his stroke and do so}

Might he be finding that stroke? 8)

BTW, I have only ONE EDIT I would now suggest to the lineup I posted a few weeks ago ... Melky Cabrera

Maybe not RIGHT NOW, but SOON ... ASAP ... soon as it looks like he even has a shot

Gotta Get Womack outta there

He's an unmitigated disaster and he even looks unhappy when the team is winning

SS Derek Jeter {R}

2B Robinson Cano {L}

3B Alex Rodriguez {R}

LF Hideki Matsui {L}

RF Gary Sheffield {R}

1B Jason Giambi {L}

DH Bernie Williams {S}

C Jorge Posada {S}

CF Melky Cabrera {S}

==

PH/DH/OF Ruben Sierra {S}

BTW, I have only ONE EDIT I would now suggest to the lineup I posted a few weeks ago ... Melky Cabrera

Maybe not RIGHT NOW, but SOON ... ASAP ... soon as it looks like he even has a shot

Gotta Get Womack outta there

He's an unmitigated disaster and he even looks unhappy when the team is winning

SS Derek Jeter {R}

2B Robinson Cano {L}

3B Alex Rodriguez {R}

LF Hideki Matsui {L}

RF Gary Sheffield {R}

1B Jason Giambi {L}

DH Bernie Williams {S}

C Jorge Posada {S}

CF Melky Cabrera {S}

==

PH/DH/OF Ruben Sierra {S}

Melky was rushed through the system, probably to increase trade vale. He's NOT major league ready at all.

Melky was rushed through the system, probably to increase trade vale. He's NOT major league ready at all.

How do you know that?

Right now he's hitting around .360 at AAA and hitting for power/rbi's ... who's to say he's definitely not ready?

He wouldn't be the first 20 year old to be rushed through the system and be ready ... Andruw Jones did it, and so have a few others

You never know until you try ... I say let's bring him up while his bat is on fire and he has to be beaming with confidence ... no better time to take a look than now ... you ain't ever gonna catch him hotter than he is now

JMO

How do you know that?

Right now he's hitting around .360 at AAA and hitting for power/rbi's ... who's to say he's definitely not ready?

He wouldn't be the first 20 year old to be rushed through the system and be ready ... Andruw Jones did it, and so have a few others

You never know until you try ... I say let's bring him up while his bat is on fire and he has to be beaming with confidence ... no better time to take a look than now ... you ain't ever gonna catch him hotter than he is now

JMO

He had a .723 OPS in AA. It's remarkable he's up over 1 in AAA.

Archived