Sox/Yanks-Game 2

Thor99

Good game.

Beckett takes a step towards the Cy Young, Wang falls off the list.

Great at-bats, pretty good baserunning.

Jacoby Ellsbury will be patrolling Center Field for the Sox for a long time.

Scary thought.

IMHO both teams have started to embrace the building from within. Obviously, there are going to be a few years before it is fully integrated and working.

What happens in 3 or 5 years when the Sox and Yankees are a few more years into the plan? MLB could start to look like European soccer where a few teams dominate each domestic league.

Scary thought.

IMHO both teams have started to embrace the building from within. Obviously, there are going to be a few years before it is fully integrated and working.

What happens in 3 or 5 years when the Sox and Yankees are a few more years into the plan? MLB could start to look like European soccer where a few teams dominate each domestic league.

In a nutshell, the Yankees not giving Mark Prior a bonus after drafting him will NEVER happen again. The entry draft and international free agents are going to be how teams will be built. Guys like Derek Jeter and David Wright will never hit the free agent market. Once you've developed a superstar, why would you give him up?

The edge the Yanks and Red Sox have in money mean that highly-regarded draftees will decline to sign with ore make it known they won't sign with crappy teams, and hope they instead get drafted by big market clubs. And that the Yanks and Sawx will not be inclined to sign high end free agents except when it's a no brainer in order to hang onto their 1st round picks. Due to the collusion cases, MLB cannot dictate a salary cap on thier entry draft. But Selig put out a memo discouraging teams from going crazy on bonuses on draftees. And but for a few small market teams, he was pretty much ignorec. In fact the D-rays even signed a draftee toa big bonus. Comes to this-are you better getting a good young player, like Chamberlain or Ellsworth or BJ Upton, build him up, have him for a long time until he hits arbitration at a low salary. Or go out and sign the Carl Pavanos and JD Drews while losing a draft pick in the process? It's almost a no brainer, as long as you draft reasonably well.

In a strange way, "Moneyball" has been turned on it's head. Once everyone starts to employ the same methodology-appreciating,scouting and developing young entry draft talent is far more sensible and economical long term than paying on the open free agent market - what ever was an advantage dissappears. Especailly when you stop treating the entry draft like a trivia game-John Ford Grifin, She Morenz, et al. Which also is why trading away such guys before you know if they can cut it is crazy.

We had a baby sitter for the day so I was out of the house. Went to a restaraunt down the shore and while we were waiting for a table I saw the score.

OUCH.

I still don't know what even happened. I assume the Red Sox cheated though, lol. I have to check the box score and recap. It looked ugly though.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonights game will be interesting. Two old warriors battling it out. With the Tigers keeping the Wild Card race very close the Yankees need to win this one!

I don't think Clemens last that long in this one. I think he gets battered around, much like Pettitte and Wang. I think Curt will pitch a gem though.

I don't think Clemens last that long in this one. I think he gets battered around, much like Pettitte and Wang. I think Curt will pitch a gem though.

I was pretty sure you were gonna think that exact thing. :)

We shall see. I agree though Clemens won't be in the game all that long even if he pitches well.

I was pretty sure you were gonna think that exact thing. :)

We shall see. I agree though Clemens won't be in the game all that long even if he pitches well.

I'm not sure he's 100% healthy but the Yanks need him. And it's not like they're paying him in cold cut sandwiches and lap dances from Brian Cashman. He needs to go out and earn his money.

What a shock. Homer-boy predicts sunshine and roses for the beantown boys.

Someone alert the media.

What a shock. Homer-boy predicts sunshine and roses for the beantown boys.

Someone alert the media.

Right. Especially before when I thought we'd lose the first game. I'm a Red Sox fan, not a homer. Schilling has pitched well the last few outings and Rocket is coming off an injury. The way the Sox have battered Pettitte and Wang, I don't see any reason for the story to be different tonight.

Archived