Belicheat will get back at Eric down-the-road

Kentucky Jet

Down the road, Belichick will get back at Mangini

Bob Glauber

10:43 PM EDT, September 19, 2007

Eric Mangini doesn't sound worried about the perception that he broke an unwritten rule of the NFL's coaching fraternity by snitching on Bill Belichick over the illegal use of a sideline video camera.

"I feel very comfortable with the people I've known and know throughout the league," Mangini said Wednesday when asked about the backlash against him for turning in Belichick during a Week 1 game against the Pats. "In terms of unwritten rules, you'd have to talk to the people that are bringing that up. I feel very comfortable with the situation."

Just to be safe, Mangini ought to watch his back.

Like it or not, the perception is that he squealed on Belichick, the man who gave him a shot at being a high-profile assistant and thus a chance at the Jets' job. And in a league with more machismo and testosterone than any sport this side of pro wrestling, that's not a good thing for a 36-year-old in his second year as a head coach.

The perception that Mangini ratted out his mentor may have prompted him to make an unusual call Tuesday evening. When word got out that Brian Billick had accused the Jets' defenders of illegally simulating the Ravens' snap count, Mangini phoned Billick to see what was up.

"We had a good conversation," Mangini said. "It was important for me to talk to him and make sure we didn't have a misunderstanding. We don't coach things to cause penalties. We don't believe in getting penalties, and it's something we work hard to minimize at all times."

Mangini said he "felt very good about the conversation" and left it at that. That Billick raised the issue unsolicited might have left you wondering whether Mangini left himself open to criticism, in part for blowing the whistle on Belichick. But this one was a misunderstanding; Billick opened Wednesday's news conference in Baltimore with a public apology to Mangini.

But even if Billick really was ticked, and even if other coaches take issue with Mangini for jumping on Belichick, does it really matter? After all, Mangini's job is to win football games, not to ingratiate himself with the coaching fraternity. With coaches being fired at a record clip in recent years, it's not as if Mangini has risked running out of poker buddies at the league meetings every spring.

No, the real damage isn't what Mangini has done to himself, it's what he's done to Belichick. By blowing the whistle on the three-time Super Bowl winner, Mangini stoked the competitive fires in Belichick that already burned more brightly than in any other coach. I have to imagine that Belichick, never a Mangini fan since he took the Jets' job against his advice, is so far beyond angry that it borders on .obsession.

Belichick hasn't revealed much publicly about the incident, except to say he and his team have moved on. But what you saw in the Pats' dismantling of the Chargers Sunday night was partly the residual effect of the controversy. Owner Robert Kraft and Belichick's players clearly were circling the wagons in defense of the coach, and the dominating play was a tribute to just how much they want to win for the guy.

Belichick's smile and wave to the adoring crowd was about as demonstrative a moment as you'll ever see from Mr. Poker Face. If his team plays like this all season, then they'll give the unbeaten '72 .Dolphins a run.

You can't blame Mangini for wanting to protect himself against a divisional rival, no matter how much Belichick helped him along the way. But he also must understand that outing Belichick's proclivity for breaking rules about sign-stealing has created further animosity. Forget about a postgame handshake when the teams meet Dec. 16. Belichick might deliver a right cross.

The gloves have been off in the Belichick-Mangini rivalry ever since the Jets hired Mangini two years ago. In fact, it started even before they hired him. After Mangini interviewed with the Jets, Belichick had Mangini's security card for the team's offices canceled, even though he was still a Patriots' employee.

Mangini has shown he's willing to fight back, even if it means subjecting Belichick to the most embarrassing scrutiny in a long and distinguished career that undoubtedly will lead to the Hall of Fame. But to use the boxing metaphor Mangini so enjoys, turning in Belichick last week will amount to nothing more than a sucker punch. Belichick will be the one delivering the knockout blows in the months and years to come.

Down the road, Belichick will get back at Mangini

Bob Glauber

10:43 PM EDT, September 19, 2007

Eric Mangini doesn't sound worried about the perception that he broke an unwritten rule of the NFL's coaching fraternity by snitching on Bill Belichick over the illegal use of a sideline video camera.

"I feel very comfortable with the people I've known and know throughout the league," Mangini said Wednesday when asked about the backlash against him for turning in Belichick during a Week 1 game against the Pats. "In terms of unwritten rules, you'd have to talk to the people that are bringing that up. I feel very comfortable with the situation."

Just to be safe, Mangini ought to watch his back.

Like it or not, the perception is that he squealed on Belichick, the man who gave him a shot at being a high-profile assistant and thus a chance at the Jets' job. And in a league with more machismo and testosterone than any sport this side of pro wrestling, that's not a good thing for a 36-year-old in his second year as a head coach.

The perception that Mangini ratted out his mentor may have prompted him to make an unusual call Tuesday evening. When word got out that Brian Billick had accused the Jets' defenders of illegally simulating the Ravens' snap count, Mangini phoned Billick to see what was up.

"We had a good conversation," Mangini said. "It was important for me to talk to him and make sure we didn't have a misunderstanding. We don't coach things to cause penalties. We don't believe in getting penalties, and it's something we work hard to minimize at all times."

Mangini said he "felt very good about the conversation" and left it at that. That Billick raised the issue unsolicited might have left you wondering whether Mangini left himself open to criticism, in part for blowing the whistle on Belichick. But this one was a misunderstanding; Billick opened Wednesday's news conference in Baltimore with a public apology to Mangini.

But even if Billick really was ticked, and even if other coaches take issue with Mangini for jumping on Belichick, does it really matter? After all, Mangini's job is to win football games, not to ingratiate himself with the coaching fraternity. With coaches being fired at a record clip in recent years, it's not as if Mangini has risked running out of poker buddies at the league meetings every spring.

No, the real damage isn't what Mangini has done to himself, it's what he's done to Belichick. By blowing the whistle on the three-time Super Bowl winner, Mangini stoked the competitive fires in Belichick that already burned more brightly than in any other coach. I have to imagine that Belichick, never a Mangini fan since he took the Jets' job against his advice, is so far beyond angry that it borders on .obsession.

Belichick hasn't revealed much publicly about the incident, except to say he and his team have moved on. But what you saw in the Pats' dismantling of the Chargers Sunday night was partly the residual effect of the controversy. Owner Robert Kraft and Belichick's players clearly were circling the wagons in defense of the coach, and the dominating play was a tribute to just how much they want to win for the guy.

Belichick's smile and wave to the adoring crowd was about as demonstrative a moment as you'll ever see from Mr. Poker Face. If his team plays like this all season, then they'll give the unbeaten '72 .Dolphins a run.

You can't blame Mangini for wanting to protect himself against a divisional rival, no matter how much Belichick helped him along the way. But he also must understand that outing Belichick's proclivity for breaking rules about sign-stealing has created further animosity. Forget about a postgame handshake when the teams meet Dec. 16. Belichick might deliver a right cross.

The gloves have been off in the Belichick-Mangini rivalry ever since the Jets hired Mangini two years ago. In fact, it started even before they hired him. After Mangini interviewed with the Jets, Belichick had Mangini's security card for the team's offices canceled, even though he was still a Patriots' employee.

Mangini has shown he's willing to fight back, even if it means subjecting Belichick to the most embarrassing scrutiny in a long and distinguished career that undoubtedly will lead to the Hall of Fame. But to use the boxing metaphor Mangini so enjoys, turning in Belichick last week will amount to nothing more than a sucker punch. Belichick will be the one delivering the knockout blows in the months and years to come.

No one knows what happened between Mangini and BB. All I know is that Foxboro is going to be a nasty place for Mangini and the Jets on December 16th.

The crowd is going to be out for vengeance (however misguided that may be).

No one knows what happened between Mangini and BB. All I know is that Foxboro is going to be a nasty place for Mangini and the Jets on December 16th.

Payback will be 10 fold next year in the Meadowlands...bank on it.

You know what makes this whole concept rubbish?

If Eric didn't do this -- it still was going to be a VERY TOUGH GAME. The Pats are mad now?

They just won 3 Super Bowls. Not sure that they can actually play better. So their emotions really don't concern me.

If Eric didn't do this -- it still was going to be a VERY TOUGH GAME. The Pats are mad now?

They just won 3 Super Bowls. Not sure that they can actually play better. So their emotions really don't concern me.

They are really mad now. The players have been called out by the national media and Jets/Dolphins/Bills/Colts/Steelers fans. The Pats are on a mission.

They are really mad now. The players have been called out by the national media and Jets/Dolphins/Bills/Colts/Steelers fans. The Pats are on a mission.

The players have not been called out. Bellichick has been called out. Although I doubt that that distinction makes them any less pissed off.

The players have not been called out. Bellichick has been called out. Although I doubt that that distinction makes them any less pissed off.

The players have been called out. Tom Brady has taken a beating by fans and media pundits over the last couple of weeks.

"Now we know how a 6th round draft pick was so good.....He knew the plays."

Brady went nuts the other day on the radio. I'll try and dig up the transcript.

The players have been called out. Tom Brady has taken a beating by fans and media pundits over the last couple of weeks.

"Now we know how a 6th round draft pick was so good.....He knew the plays."

Brady went nuts the other day on the radio. I'll try and dig up the transcript.

Really? I'm not being being sarcastic or anything, I just don't watch tv that much or listen to sports radio at all. Brady being called out seems a bit crazy too me. I don't see how Bellichick being an arrogant prick has anything to do with Tom Brady's skill level.

Really? I'm not being being sarcastic or anything, I just don't watch tv that much or listen to sports radio at all. Brady being called out seems a bit crazy too me. I don't see how Bellichick being an arrogant prick has anything to do with Tom Brady's skill level.

The accusations were thrown out here on JN last week about Brady.

I'm trying to find Brady's tirade from the other day when he called the accusations bullshyte.

Like this isn't already a blood rivalry? They could get any worse? C'mon. And if they really took it to a next more stupid step, what would that say about them?

One thing-l;et me understand this "unwritten code"-the Jets coach should allow his former employer to cheat and say nothing when said former employer does it in his current employer's stadium? What nonsense.

They weren't going to try to win every game on the schedule before all this. But because Bellichick was found to be a cheat and that made them unhappy, they will now instead try to win every game. RIGHT!

They weren't going to try to win every game on the schedule before all this. But because Bellichick was found to be a cheat and that made them unhappy, they will now instead try to win every game. RIGHT!

The Pats always take it one game at a time (just like your Jets) but this season is different.

The Pats always take it one game at a time (just like your Jets) but this season is different.
You're a smart guy. And for a Pats fan, a decent poster. That thought is media-generated gibberish.

The Pats go out and try to win every game unless and until they cannot move up in the playoff seeding. This season is no different. Bellichick may very well be superpissed, but it changes zero in how they approach this or any season.

You're a smart guy. And for a Pats fan, a decent poster. That thought is media-generated gibberish.

The Pats go out and try to win every game unless and until they cannot move up in the playoff seeding. This season is no different. Bellichick may very well be superpissed, but it changes zero in how they approach this or any season.

BB acknowledged the crowd on Sunday, something he has never done, and talked about it on the post game press conference:

"I want to thank the fans for their awesome support," he said. "I definitely felt that, from the time I walked out on the field. They showed up tonight. They were with us. They gave us some energy. We appreciate that. We have great fans. And we have a great owner. He's been awesome all week. At times, it's been a tough situation. I'm just glad it worked out well for everybody tonight."

I don't want to sound like an arsehole but this speaks volumes.

Oh I am scared. LOL they just beat the Jets 38 to 14. But now they are MAD. Got it.

Yeah those wronged patsy fans and their 3 stolen SB's and countless games.

No need for you to be scared :)

As I said earlier the Pats, and the fans, are on a mission. Total domination every game.

Fans on a mission??? WTF does this mean?? They are going to beat up Jet fans in NE?? Because if this turns out to be just that, Than I wouldn't go to any Jet games if I was you...

Fans on a mission??? WTF does this mean?? They are going to beat up Jet fans in NE?? Because if this turns out to be just that, Than I wouldn't go to any Jet games if I was you...

OK , their calling us out, then I am there .I wasn`t planing on going out there again till the playoffs but this changes things.....

Too bad they can never gain the respect of any other NFL team or their fans no matter how many tainted games they win.

You're smoking crack. If the Pats had blind folds on they still would have beaten you clowns by at least 20. If one doesn't respect the Pats then he is in denial. I hate the evil Pats more than the itch in the crack of my asz but I still respect their greatness. Cheating or no cheating they are great. You Jet clowns are just sooooo jealous of the Pats. Instead of agreeing that your team is sorry, you cling onto the Pats cheating for some form of feel good medicine and victory. That's weak. Worry about your own damn sorry team.

You're smoking crack. If the Pats had blind folds on they still would have beaten you clowns by at least 20. If one doesn't respect the Pats then he is in denial. I hate the evil Pats more than the itch in the crack of my asz but I still respect their greatness. Cheating or no cheating they are great. You Jet clowns are just sooooo jealous of the Pats. Instead of agreeing that your team is sorry, you cling onto the Pats cheating for some form of feel good medicine and victory. That's weak. Worry about your own damn sorry team.

Speaking of blind homerism, what's the score gonna be this week? Jets vs Fins?

Belichick, in his normal hyper competitive state, was already willing to cheat and face the consequences of getting caught, as silly as that is with the kind of team he has. I don't think this man needs any ammunition whatsoever. It is a no holds barred war between the Pats and the Jets. This was just the latest battle.

It reminds me of a good Charles Bronson movie, I forget the name. Bronson plays a watermelon farmer who crosses a big tough Mafia guy. The mafia guy finds Bronson in a diner with his girlfriend and sits down in front of him, just to tell Bronson he is a dead man. Bronson smacks the guy with a left hook across the table. When his girlfriend looks at him as if to say "why in the world did you do that?", Bronson says "I could tell I wasn't going to get on his good side, anyway".

Be Charles Bronson, Eric. :)

Fans + Beer = A$$holes

Is it going to be televised?

99% of the fans will be quiet or just give a good amount of crap to the Jets. Then there will be the ones on the lower end of the gene pool.

Archived