Vilma has an ouchy

Scott Dierking

See, folks. Everything will be OK. magic eilixir is on the way.

Coach Eric Mangini said Monday that Jonathan Vilma is playing through an injury that "dramatically affected" his play in Week 7, but declined to give further details.

Vilma began the second half on the bench Sunday and had just three tackles. "He's a tough guy, but it's something he was working through," Mangini said. According to the New York Daily News, "he should be okay to face the Bills this week."

Source: New York Daily News

Link?

If mangini lied to the fans and media about a non-existent injury to one of his own players, that is really low.

Think he's doing it to excuse non-pro-bowl play to keep his trade value up for the off-season? Clearly he's not a fit on this defense (in fact I don't know that 5 players on this team are both a fit and actually talented); he must want out as well so he can get his dollars up. Could he be one of the "I'm not going to be around next year anyway" crew?

I think people are reading into Vilma's actions after the game....

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spjnotes235428572oct23,0,7466645.story

Vilma injured

Jonathan Vilma sat at his postgame locker humming a surprisingly chirpy song in between curt answers to reporters. When asked why he was carrying the tune, the linebacker said it was so he wouldn't "really say how I feel." Hum to stay mum.

It was believed that Vilma was internalizing anguish over the performance (which is probably mostly true), but yesterday, Eric Mangini said Vilma was playing hurt. The Jets are not allowed to discuss or even confirm injuries, so Vilma's serenade may have been a way to keep himself from being fined.

While not specific about the injury, Mangini made it sound as if Vilma had been dealing with the issue before the game. Vilma, who hardly ever comes off the field, was not there when the second half began and spent a good deal of time - for him, anyway - on the sideline during the second half.

Think he's doing it to excuse non-pro-bowl play to keep his trade value up for the off-season? Clearly he's not a fit on this defense (in fact I don't know that 5 players on this team are both a fit and actually talented); he must want out as well so he can get his dollars up. Could he be one of the "I'm not going to be around next year anyway" crew?

Sad really... Schlegal is playing better than our LB's this year... lol

Gotta think its the coach, not the players... there is going to be a long list of players Mangini dumped that went on to play good/great for another team... pisses me off.

Oh yeah, he doesnt want to be here in this scheme, and it shows in his play.

But he isnt playing along with mangini's game if he said he isnt hurt. And having an injury doesnt help his trade value either, so its best to just be honest about whatever the reason is.

Vilma has been in a consistent decline since his rookie year. Part of it is most likely due to being mismatched with a 3-4 defense. The other part of it is that he's just not that good. Many times he gives up an extra 3-5 yards after contact. Running backs just run him over, you never see him stand a ball carrier up.

Vilma has been in a consistent decline since his rookie year. Part of it is most likely due to being mismatched with a 3-4 defense. The other part of it is that he's just not that good. Many times he gives up an extra 3-5 yards after contact. Running backs just run him over, you never see him stand a ball carrier up.

He is a human pinata in the middle of a football field. He is just looking for someone to hit him.

It is really sad.

He is a human pinata in the middle of a football field. He is just looking for someone to hit him.

It is really sad.

He's a PRO BOWLER. A PRO BOWLER I tell you.

He just needs four linemen in front of him, including two pro-bowl DE's, a talented 1-gap DT playing at a career-high level, and a legit NT in a contract year...and make sure that no one discerns any statistical difference between sticking up a runner cold and being dragged past the first-down marker.

He's a PRO BOWLER. A PRO BOWLER I tell you.

He just needs four linemen in front of him, including two pro-bowl DE's, a talented 1-gap DT playing at a career-high level, and a legit NT in a contract year...and make sure that no one discerns any statistical difference between sticking up a runner cold and being dragged past the first-down marker.

I am never a big fan of drafting linebackers early.

If you can take care of the trenches and build an adequate secondary, your linebacking should take care of itself, as long as you don't have stiffs.

This is an oversimplification, I realize, and goes against the Bill Parcells mantra.

I just feel there is much better ways to spend money on tyour fottball team, provided you spend it on the right players.

I am never a big fan of drafting linebackers early.

If you can take care of the trenches and build an adequate secondary, your linebacking should take care of itself, as long as you don't have stiffs.

This is an oversimplification, I realize, and goes against the Bill Parcells mantra.

I just feel there is much better ways to spend money on tyour fottball team, provided you spend it on the right players.

I'd agree with that. The lone exception maybe being an OLB in the 3-4 (college 3-4 DE). If he's really got top instincts and fast you'll need that. Really almost like drafting a lineman.

But yeah, if we had a solid front-three, we wouldn't be all that terrible if we had three or four of the 2006-version of Victor Hobson. Can get to the QB once in a while & doesn't get pushed around so easily.

This staff just thinks we'll be able to find a NT (a decent one) whenever we feel like getting around to looking. If this is the scheme, you get one while you can.

I'd trade our top pick next year for Casey Hampton if I thought they'd take it. And yes I know it might be a top-5 pick. RB's, LB'ers, and even OT's & OG's come out every single year. One of these guys comes out every 2-3.

I'd agree with that. The lone exception maybe being an OLB in the 3-4 (college 3-4 DE). If he's really got top instincts and fast you'll need that. Really almost like drafting a lineman.

But yeah, if we had a solid front-three, we wouldn't be all that terrible if we had three or four of the 2006-version of Victor Hobson. Can get to the QB once in a while & doesn't get pushed around so easily.

This staff just thinks we'll be able to find a NT (a decent one) whenever we feel like getting around to looking. If this is the scheme, you get one while you can.

I'd trade our top pick next year for Casey Hampton if I thought they'd take it. And yes I know it might be a top-5 pick. RB's, LB'ers, and even OT's & OG's come out every single year. One of these guys comes out every 2-3.

would be an interesting trade, assuming the steelers land a 25th overall, and the jets land the 4th again, i could see them (or anyone with a top flight NT) swap firsts, get the player and the jets throw in a 3rd.

We do need it, and as bad as tangini wanted revis/harris, he should be wanting a proven stud NT even more.

Hampton would be worth it. I would like a rigorous physical with him first.

I think this defense would be a really good defense if we just substituted a healthy JAbraham for BT and all the problems up the middle would be a lot less severe.

just saying

I don't know that abe would be much help at stuffing the inside, if you mean that he would command a double team, then yeah, that might free up the inside a bit.

I think it was two years ago when we played SD with Bolly at QB, an announcer was speaking of the Jets' situation...

"...in 2002 it looked as though the Jets had two All Pro defensive ends and an All Pro Quaterback and well on there way..."

It's true too, there was plenty to look forward to that year, and to see it come crumbling down just sucks.

I don't know that abe would be much help at stuffing the inside, if you mean that he would command a double team, then yeah, that might free up the inside a bit.

I think it was two years ago when we played SD with Bolly at QB, an announcer was speaking of the Jets' situation...

"...in 2002 it looked as though the Jets had two All Pro defensive ends and an All Pro Quaterback and well on there way..."

It's true too, there was plenty to look forward to that year, and to see it come crumbling down just sucks.

yes a pass rush would help the inside.. QB's have all day which is spreading the D out..If BT played like healthy JA then things would be a lot different imo... I liked the trade of JA for Mangold draft pick - just saying if we had that kind of pass rush things would be much different

Link?

If mangini lied to the fans and media about a non-existent injury to one of his own players, that is really low.

Vilma stated on his weekly session with Benigno on the fan today that he wasn't hurt. You can listen to it online from their homepage. A couple of quotes on why he was pulled

"definitely wasn't because I was injured, you have to ask the head man why I was taken out"

"it was a coaching decision"

yes a pass rush would help the inside.. QB's have all day which is spreading the D out..If BT played like healthy JA then things would be a lot different imo... I liked the trade of JA for Mangold draft pick - just saying if we had that kind of pass rush things would be much different

i agree with you to a point. I do agree that having fast ends makes the offense worry about the outsides, thus leaving less men in the middle to handle the central defenders.

The problem with the speedy ends, as you well know, is that they get up the field so fast that teams will run draws at them for 5 and 10 yards a crack. (which, is a huge reason why every RB in Indy looks so good, when they can count on 6 or more of their runs being draw plays with no one to deal with until they are 5 yards up field)

We do need a speed rush, but IMO, we need a NT more.

BTW- mangold for Abe was a steal, i couldn't be happier with that exchange.

Link?

it wouldnt shock me. i find it funny that all of a sudden chris baker had a back issue and was benched sunday after he opened his mouth to the media in frustration for the team losing so badly. nothing was ever mentioned about baker being injured until after he spoke to the media.

it wouldnt shock me. i find it funny that all of a sudden chris baker had a back issue and was benched sunday after he opened his mouth to the media in frustration for the team losing so badly. nothing was ever mentioned about baker being injured until after he spoke to the media.

who cares if he lies to us? It's his show, he can run it however he wants, he can flat out lie to the public if he wants to.

Vilma stated on his weekly session with Benigno on the fan today that he wasn't hurt. You can listen to it online from their homepage. A couple of quotes on why he was pulled

"definitely wasn't because I was injured, you have to ask the head man why I was taken out"

"it was a coaching decision"

Hmmm... thanks.

He'll do much better in a new system somewhere else. There were plenty of people who said mcGahee svcked except against the Jets, and that was bull. He is 30 yards behind AP for the rushing lead, staying quiet, and doing well.

He needed a new place to play and needed to get out of Buffalo, the same way vilma needs to get out of manginiville.

Never underestimate the heart of a Hurricane.

Edge James is third in rushing in the NFL.

Sean taylor leads the NFL in ints.

Jon Beason leads the Panthers in tackles.

Devin hester.

Vilma will be fine next year with another team, and i accept that he wont be here. They have fvcked with the defense, and will lose him. Ultimately, it will be the Jets loss.

i agree with you to a point. I do agree that having fast ends makes the offense worry about the outsides, thus leaving less men in the middle to handle the central defenders.

The problem with the speedy ends, as you well know, is that they get up the field so fast that teams will run draws at them for 5 and 10 yards a crack. (which, is a huge reason why every RB in Indy looks so good, when they can count on 6 or more of their runs being draw plays with no one to deal with until they are 5 yards up field)

We do need a speed rush, but IMO, we need a NT more.

BTW- mangold for Abe was a steal, i couldn't be happier with that exchange.

I think Exchange was good for JETS too

I just think a ProBowl OLB/DE tweener would do more for this team with robertson/pouha then getting a probowl NT and using BT- would prefer to have both lol

I think Exchange was good for JETS too

I just think a ProBowl OLB/DE tweener would do more for this team with robertson/pouha then getting a probowl NT and using BT- would prefer to have both lol

i think we can have both. Need to find a BT body type that has the heart of a line, and to spend our first or second rounder looking for a casey hampton type.

We're not that far off, i see the record, but i also see last years record. Not to mention this is the way of today's NFL, you're good, you're bad, its almost an every other year thing until you get some real talent at key positions.

Archived