Pats running up the scores - will there be consequences?

faba

By John Tomase

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Boston Herald Sports Writer

Patriots beat writer John Tomase joined the Herald in 2005 after six years covering the

Patriots fans undoubtedly are thinking it, and yesterday former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher said it: If the Patriots [team stats] keep running up the score, will someone like Tom Brady [stats] pay the price?

The subject of the Pats

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I believe that running up the score is not sportsman like, at what point do you rest your starters. The Jets have come back from 28 points down and I the Bills came back from a 35 point deficit. There is still a chance that big leads can be lost. In the two games I mentioned before I do not remember the teams with the lead benching their starters. While I did not pay close attention to the game (it was on opposite the Jet game) If they were going for it on 4th and 1 with a thirty five point lead that's bush league but that is not Brady's fault that is a reflection of the Head Coach.

Newsflash: Tomase is an uncreative, Sox beat writer cast off who like to regurgitate others people's storylines. The guy just like to be "controversial."

Look, there's a lot of hate on the Pats. Whatever. They hate you too. ;)

Anyway, saw this CHFF. Enjoy.

Skeletons in the closet

Cold, Hard Football Facts for October 31, 2007

By Kerry J. Byrne

Cold, Hard Football Facts whine cooler

It's Halloween. What better time to uncover some skeletons in the closet?

We all have them. You have them. We have them (though ours are a little, ahem, "big boned"). Players and "pundits" have them, too.

We were reminded of all these skeletons when we saw so many players, fans and "pundits" dressed up as whiny little bitches this week.

In case you hadn

But you better be careful what you bitch about. Because there are always skeletons in the closet.

that would mean you should never bitch about anything, which is pretty ridiculous. so, just because you did something in the past, means that everyone else should be able to do it as well? wow, im sure you are a real good parent, haha.

that would mean you should never bitch about anything, which is pretty ridiculous. so, just because you did something in the past, means that everyone else should be able to do it as well? wow, im sure you are a real good parent, haha.

See what I mean about the youth of America? Scary.

What it means is if you are "guilty" of committing such acts yourself, you should not be the one "biatching" about such acts. It's called HYPROCRICY.

Hey, here's another one for you. BTW, I think it's cool you can read. Really.

By SHALISE MANZA YOUNG

Journal Sports Writer

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, being pursued by Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney during last year’s AFC Championship Game in Indianapolis, will face off once again versus Peyton Manning and the Colts on Sunday.

>

The Providence Journal / John Freidah

The Biggest Game in the History of the NFL (This Week) has a lot of intriguing storylines — the two best quarterbacks of this generation, two of the best defensive minds the league has seen, fantastic offenses on both sides.

But over the last few months and weeks, the New England Patriots have morphed into football’s version of the Evil Empire, with Bill Belichick as the expressionless Darth Vader.

And, of course, where there is evil, there must be good. And who better for that role than the Indianapolis Colts? They wear white, the color of purity, for crying out loud.

The football-viewing public feels as if they know Peyton Manning because he’s smiling at them from every other Sunday afternoon commercial — heck, even his kid brother and father are in on the act. Coach Tony Dungy is seen as a kind, God-fearing man, the type of values embraced by most Americans.

Patriots vs. Colts: Share your predictions Submit | View Results

Like anything, however, it’s not so cut and dried.

Sure, it makes for a sexy subplot, the small-city Midwestern team against the big bullies from the East Coast, but is that really what this game is? Does there have to be a “bad guy?”

We’ll grant you that the Patriots’ recent past wouldn’t put them in line for an Eagle Scout badge. From the Spygate controversy to Rodney Harrison’s suspension for HGH use to the current (and unwarranted) flap over their running up the score, many of the headlines have been less than favorable.

But many of the positives don’t get the headlines. Last month, Jarvis Green’s charitable foundation held a fundraiser in Seekonk, with the money raised going to single mothers in his native Louisiana and the fiancÉe and young son Marquise Hill left behind when he died in May.

Though he has three children of his own, Green has basically adopted Ma’Shy Hill since Marquise’s passing, and has every intention of being a father figure in the little boy’s life, providing financial and emotional support.

No big story about that, though.

When it comes to Spygate, New England’s big problem was that it got caught. According to former NFL coach Jimmy Johnson, Colts offensive line coach Howard Mudd was the best in the business at stealing the opposing defense’s signs when he was in Kansas City earlier in his career.

You don’t think he still does that, do you?

Then there’s this whole running-up-the-score brouhaha. While most of the hue and cry over it is coming from the teams that have been summarily dismissed by the New England, there has been some from the media, just another way the Big Bad Patriots are trying to ruin football.

Belichick feels it is exactly the opposite. During his weekly Boston radio appearance on Monday, the coach said he feels it is disrespecting the game if he told his team not to play its best in the final quarter against Washington.

“Nobody’s trying to embarrass or run anything up on anybody, but not playing is, to me, more disrespectful than playing,” Belichick said. “I wouldn’t appreciate that if I was on the other side.”

Tom Brady is on pace to throw for 60 touchdowns, which would break the single-season record of 49, set by Manning in 2004. That year, the Colts won games by scores of 49-14, 41-10, 41-9, 51-24, and 49-24 against Denver in the playoffs. We didn’t hear a whole lot about them running up the score three years ago.

Ah, but Manning had to score all of those points, you see: “I remember that year with the Colts, and back then people were scoring so many points against the Colts” that they had to put up a lot of points, CBS analyst Phil Simms said yesterday. But against Tennessee on Dec. 5 of that season, the Titans scored all 24 of their points in the opening quarter and got into Indy territory just once the rest of the way. Indianapolis was leading, 41-24, after three quarters and had doubled up the Titans a little more than two minutes into the fourth.

The Colts still tacked on a field goal before the game was over. Just for good measure.

And if we get into Colts president Bill Polian — who openly advocated for his players to break Doug Flutie’s legs (during Indy’s 2005 win in Foxboro) and physically intimidating a Jets employee — we’d be here even longer.

You can’t let the facts get in the way of a good storyline, though.

Hey Assmop - yesterday morning I saw a bus, loaded with people from Vermont, unloading a block down from the building I work in, here in Boston,. You know, I forgot how retahded Vermont people were.....one look and I remembered. Oy! No wonder you are who you are. ;)

Hey Assmop - yesterday morning I saw a bus, loaded with people from Vermont, unloading a block down from the building I work in, here in Boston,. You know, I forgot how retahded Vermont people were.....one look and I remembered. Oy! No wonder you are who you are. ;)

yep we all like to F trees up here, better make sure your syrup doesn't say

Vermont on label.

I have no clue how you can handle living up there year round. And, if your "board persona" is any indication - you certainly do not belong there. MOVE! Your kids are in college now, right? What are you waiting for? Their graduation? Fair enough then. Hope the time left on your sentence goes quickly. ;)

I have no clue how you can handle living up there year round. And, if your "board persona" is any indication - you certainly do not belong there. MOVE! Your kids are in college now, right? What are you waiting for? Their graduation? Fair enough then. Hope the time left on your sentence goes quickly. ;)

i'm sure the bus load of people were there to worship their sux.

i still have a sophomore in high school,so my sentence is still a few years away.

what's your excuse, Ma$$hole is certainly not a liveable place

I doubt he starts pulling him any earlier. Why pull your starters at halftime and let them sit on the bench and get rusty? You gotta use every chance you can get to keep the machine rolling.

hey alk

the giants play you guys in week 17, why would Belly want to risk letting Brady stay in and get sacked and smacked around by Uminyora/Strahan and co.?

the giants will be fighting for a playoff bearth and the Pats will be locked up with a bye week no doubt. whats the point?

i'm sure the bus load of people were there to worship their sux.

i still have a sophomore in high school,so my sentence is still a few years away.

what's your excuse, Ma$$hole is certainly not a liveable place

True that. Boston is a great, beautiful city that offers much (especially its sports teams;) ) - but it's expensive, parking is atrocious in the city and the politics in this entire state are WAY too liberal for my liking. Not to mention that winters suck out loud - but certainly not as bad as Vermont.:)

My family is here as well as most of my close friends. My dad isn't in the greatest health and there is no mom around to make sure he's okay. But, in a couple more years- I'll have saved a hefty down payment for a home in NC, SC or FLA. Whether I live there f/t or p/t is another story.

hey alk

the giants play you guys in week 17, why would Belly want to risk letting Brady stay in and get sacked and smacked around by Uminyora/Strahan and co.?

the giants will be fighting for a playoff bearth and the Pats will be locked up with a bye week no doubt. whats the point?

That's the only time people will ever see me openly root for Strahan.

True that. Boston is a great, beautiful city that offers much (especially its sports teams;) ) - but it's expensive, parking is atrocious in the city and the politics in this entire state are WAY too liberal for my liking. Not to mention that winters suck out loud - but certainly not as bad as Vermont.:)

My family is here as well as most of my close friends. My dad isn't in the greatest health and there is no mom around to make sure he's okay. But, in a couple more years- I'll have saved a hefty down payment for a home in NC, SC or FLA. Whether I live there f/t or p/t is another story.

Pick Florida, then you can piss off the 100 Dolphins' fans that go to the Pats/Dolphins game by wearing your Patriots gear :D

vermont does have its advantages LMS

10-15 murders a year, boston may get 10 a day. Vt murders are mainly

domestic issues, wives cheating on husbands and vice versa

gangs are not here yet or noticeable.

winters blow, but no earthquakes or fire issues..have friends in San Diego

had to evacuate house..

no traffic issues ever.

will retire in to beach Delaware that is for sure

vermont does have its advantages LMS

10-15 murders a year, boston may get 10 a day. Vt murders are mainly

domestic issues, wives cheating on husbands and vice versa

gangs are not here yet or noticeable.

winters blow, but no earthquakes or fire issues..have friends in San Diego

had to evacuate house..

no traffic issues ever.

will retire in to beach Delaware that is for sure

but vermont (and maine, my state) are full of chowds who don't know anywhere south of boston

Hahahahahahaha....that's "classy" stuff right there.

And you all wonder why the Jets suck this year? Karma.

lol i was avoiding saying that **** all season

were 1-7 now, in the words of Broadway Joe "i could care less about the team struggling". the seasons over.

die brady die

lol i was avoiding saying that **** all season

were 1-7 now, in the words of Broadway Joe "i could care less about the team struggling". the seasons over.

die brady die

Oh, I thought you were really a Giants fan and only made pretend to be a Jest fan so the idiots here will like you.

Vermonters are so much cooler and nicer than massh*les, it's not even close.

But i think the NFL players as a whole respect brady and most would not cheapshot him. I could see someone "accidentally" knocking belicheat over on a sideline play, but not deliberately taking out Cindy (unless it happens during the Jets game, since there is bad blood between these teams).

But i think the NFL players as a whole respect brady and most would not cheapshot him. I could see someone "accidentally" knocking belicheat over on a sideline play, but not deliberately taking out Cindy (unless it happens during the Jets game, since there is bad blood between these teams).

Lets see someone try that when Belichick starts patrolling the sidelines in his "popemobile".

popemobile.jpg

That's the great thing about opinions, everyone has one - especially on messageboards.

Personally, I would rather pour battery acid on my eyes than live in Vermont.

Anyway, I can see someone trying to hurt Brady - but not the Jets. I think the Jets have a little diffculty actually respecting their own coach - I can't see them doing his dirty work, you know? Who can I see deliberately going after Brady? Indy (I remember their DC - Mudd, I think? - screaming during a game where Flutie - Pats QB - was running around and he was screaming at his defense "break his f'n leg!" - I'm not kidding) and Pittsburgh.

Lets see someone try that when Belichick starts patrolling the sidelines in his "popemobile".

popemobile.jpg

LMAO

Personally, I would rather pour battery acid on my eyes than live in Vermont.

I wasnt talking about places to live- i was talking about the quality of the people. Reading comprehension isnt one of your strong points, i know.

:eek:

Garb, you keep your wicked smaht butt up there where you belong. No need in polluting the population down here.

:eek:

Garb, you keep your wicked smaht butt up there where you belong. No need in polluting the population down here.

I love it down there. The climate is perfect. The beaches are tremendous. People aren't in such a hurry and the politics lean to the right. Sorry, I'm heading down eventually. :P

Archived