Draft list

NYjet10

give me in order your wishlist. which means who should we take with our first pick and if u think that guy will be gone give me ur 2nd.

First round: Quentin Groves or best available pass rushing talent/athlete.

Second round: Best available Offensive Lineman, preferably a Guard. A nice, big WR would acceptable (I hate to pick WRs in the early rounds but the Jets offense needs a jolt of energy and talent at the skill spots.).

1. Vernon Gholston

2. Quentin Groves

3. Jake Long

4. Darren McFadden

5. Chris Long

I know everyone is enamored with McFadden but at this point a consistant pass rusher or great run-blocking RT would help us a lot more than a RB. I really wish there was a worthy NT cause he'd go straight to the top.

Now if we're talking the draft value of what looks to be a Top 5 pick than McFadden probably has to top our board since he's the best prospect in the draft and we're not set with a young stud at his position. Hopefully we can trade down or win enough games to at least be picking somewhere in the 6-10 area so we don't have to pass up on a huge need because of poor value. Or maybe Gholston can continue to raise his stock to the point where its not an extreme reach to take him that high, since right now I'd guess his value is Top 15.

I'd say draft that DL from Ohio State or McFadden.

I don't see how Jake Long will make the Jets compete with the Pats.. He's a nice player, but we spent 2 first round picks on the OL last year and how has that worked out? Yeah Mangold and DBrick are both decent players, but the OL still stinks. I just don't see Long being any different than them and then if there are any injuries on the OL, suddenly we are back to square one.

Other teams have OL injuries and find ways to deal with it. The Jets need 5 great OL just to be good. To me, that's not a good philosophy at all. All I know is the Pats and Colts have replaced OL every year and they still win. The Jets expect to draft 5 great OL and keep them for the next 10 years just to compete. Go figure they are 2-9. It seems other teams find ways to replace players, the Jets seem to be on a plan to draft 50 players and hope to keep them for 10 years.

061115_McFadden_vmed_8p.widec.jpg

No.

I watched his last two games and was not impressed at all.

He's very fast and he's a versatile athelete that hits the whole hard, but doesnt seem to be one that can create on his own. Basically, he'll take advantage of good blocks, but he wont plow right through anyone or break anybody's ankles. Basically, he's faster but weaker version of a Thomas Jones IMO.

Id rather get an OL (T or G - depending who's available) And a Vernon Gholston type DE/OLB hybrid pass rusher in rds 2-3 and another LB or CB in the later rounds.

Mangini is taking a placekick holder with 4th pick overall and when the Jets beat the Niners, Rams and Dolphins every week next year to go 8-8 everyone will think it's a genius move... until we go 4-12 again in 2009.

I wish I could laugh but why does it seem we are heading down Herm Edwards Version 2 except this sequel is worse than the first.

No.

He's very fast and he's a versatile athelete that hits the whole hard, but doesnt seem to be one that can create on his own. Basically, he'll take advantage of good blocks, but he wont plow right through anyone or break anybody's ankles. Basically, he's faster but weaker version of a Thomas Jones IMO.

Id rather get an OL (T or G - depending who's available) And a Vernon Gholston type DE/OLB hybrid pass rusher in rds 2-3 and another LB or CB in the later rounds.

Are you kidding me ?

Did you see his last performance against a very good defense ?

No.

If you think McFadden is unimpressive, than you have to conclude that Dorsey and that great LSU defense will be nothing but busts in the NFL.

Mcfadden has ridiculous speed, but the majority of his runs he looks to the outside. He wont be able to do that next year, see Reggie.

He's a bit too much of a finesse runner as well. He's going to be able to run through the tackles.

Jones on the other hand, runs more north and south and is a bit more of a power runner.

Mcfadden has ridiculous speed, but the majority of his runs he looks to the outside. He wont be able to do that next year, see Reggie.

He's a bit too much of a finesse runner as well. He's going to be able to run through the tackles.

Jones on the other hand, runs more north and south and is a bit more of a power runner.

I'd rather take my chances with McFadden than another avg first round lineman. See DBRick with the 4th pick. "Can't miss.. will anchor this line for years.." Almost 2 years into the guys career and while he looks ok, he does not look like a guy anchoring any line. He looks like a guy who might be good if there are other great players around him.

I'd rather see if McFadden can make the Jets great, rather than draft a guy like Long and hope the Jets are just good.

If you think McFadden is unimpressive, than you have to conclude that Dorsey and that great LSU defense will be nothing but busts in the NFL.

Dorsey missed a lot of that game and when he was in, he was playing hurt.

I dont know what 'great'' LSU defense you are reffering to, but if I remember correctly they had 6 games this season decided in the 4th quarter, in the NCAA that's not a sign of a great defense.

Anyway, as I said, McFadden, with his speed, was able to take advantage of the good blocking by the OL by hitting he holes hard and getting to the 2nd level, but not once in the past two games have I seen him break a tackle or make a defender in front of him miss.

Given a below avg. OL, which the Jets have on a good day, he won't make that much of a difference IMO.

Plust, TJ and Leon are a fine tandem given a decent OL and a defense that can give the ball back to them and give the offense the option of running every once in a while.

I dont know what 'great'' LSU defense you are reffering to, but if I remember correctly they had 6 games this season decided in the 4th quarter, in the NCAA that's not a sign of a great defense.

Anyway, as I said, McFadden, with his speed, was able to take advantage of the good blocking by the OL by hitting he holes hard and getting to the 2nd level, but not once in the past two games have I seen him break a tackle or make a defender in front of him miss.

Given a below avg. OL, which the Jets have on a good day, he won't make that much of a difference IMO.

Plust, TJ and Leon are a fine tandem given a decent OL and a defense that can give the ball back to them and give the offense the option of running every once in a while.

If TJ needs a good OL to be good and as you say, so does McFadden, I'd rather take the 23 year old RB than the 30 year old one... If you're building for the future, you should be able to find OL in later rounds, you should be able to pick up guys like Faneca.

Why not take McFadden and improve the line rather than taking Long who might take 4-5 years to get good and then by that time, Jones is retired.

Agreed. LSU's defense isnt great like you said.

Mcfadden is down on first contact generally too.

Agreed. LSU's defense isnt great like you said.

Mcfadden is down on first contact generally too.

Maybe we are watching different games. McFadden plays for an avg Arkansas team. THey aren't USC or LSU or Florida or Ohio State. He rushed for over 1700 yards. He's made quite a few people miss.

If we were talking about a kid on an 10-1 team, maybe we could say it's more about his team.. But they are what, 7-4 or 8-4.. Not exactly a team for the ages like Reggie Bush was on. Any RB who gains 1700+ yards in the SEC on an avg team, isn't falling down on the first touch every carry.

I'm sorry but like I said, we are watching different games, teams or players.

I haven't seen enough of McFadden to get a real feel, but from what I've seen I agree. Seems like the type of guy this administration likes. Versatile, ex-qb. If he nails his wonderlic he's a lock. I wouldn't underestimate the versatility though. If the guy can line up split wide or in the backfield then using him in motion could create plenty of match up problems if Schotty is as innovative as everybody thought last year.

If TJ needs a good OL to be good and as you say, so does McFadden, I'd rather take the 23 year old RB than the 30 year old one... If you're building for the future, you should be able to find OL in later rounds, you should be able to pick up guys like Faneca.

Why not take McFadden and improve the line rather than taking Long who might take 4-5 years to get good and then by that time, Jones is retired.

Well, we already do have Leon, who is just as fast (if not faster), and a lot quicker than Mcfadden is.

Also, why dont we try to build the OL for the future so it doesnt matter which RB we have back there because they could make anyone look decent (see Denver Broncos OL).

Also, it would help to get some players on D that are capable of making some stops to give the offense both the chances and opportunities to run the ball when they arent playing from behind.

Maybe we are watching different games. McFadden plays for an avg Arkansas team. THey aren't USC or LSU or Florida or Ohio State. He rushed for over 1700 yards. He's made quite a few people miss.

If we were talking about a kid on an 10-1 team, maybe we could say it's more about his team.. But they are what, 7-4 or 8-4.. Not exactly a team for the ages like Reggie Bush was on. Any RB who gains 1700+ yards in the SEC on an avg team, isn't falling down on the first touch every carry.

I see a guy who has great speed that trys to get around the corner pretty much every time he has the ball. This wont work in the NFL.

Thats all Im saying.

I haven't seen enough of McFadden to get a real feel, but from what I've seen I agree. Seems like the type of guy this administration likes. Versatile, ex-qb. If he nails his wonderlic he's a lock. I wouldn't underestimate the versatility though. If the guy can line up split wide or in the backfield then using him in motion could create plenty of match up problems if Schotty is as innovative as everybody thought last year.

Oh absolutely. Im not trying to take away the type of weapon he is.

I just think he's going to have to alter his running style on Sundays.

Maybe we are, because I swear that he did not break one tackle or make one person miss in the past two games which I watched.

My observation by watching the games was that Arkansas OL was very good. There were a ton of holes all over the place despite the fact that LSU was stacking 9 or 10 in the box on every play. And I dont believe I saw an Arkansas QB go down once against LSU, if I remember correctly.

With his speed and height, I got the feeling that he'd make a better WR then RB in the NFL...

Well, we already do have Leon, who is just as fast (if not faster), and a lot quicker than Mcfadden is.

Also, why dont we try to build the OL for the future so it doesnt matter which RB we have back there because they could make anyone look decent (see Denver Broncos OL).

Also, it would help to get some players on D that are capable of making some stops to give the offense both the chances and opportunities to run the ball when they arent playing from behind.

We did try to build the OL for the future, it hasn't worked. They've drafted 3 OL in the past 2 seasons. 2 of those players were taken in the first round. Considering the OL is still one of the worst in the NFL, you have to assume they have no clue how to build an OL with the draft.

Like I said before, if you think McFadden is not impressive, I guess you haven't watched Long that much. He's been far from impressive in quite a few games this season. So we draft Long with the 4th pick and we get another DBrick.

And next season the OL will still have issues and the same excuses will be made except by then, we'd have spent 4 draft picks on OL and it still hadn't improved. I've watched Jake Long this season, he is not anything impressive at all. Yeah he's good, but taking him in the top 5 is a mistake in my opinion.

If other teams can build good OL taking players in later rounds, why can't the Jets?

If the Jets draft McFadden, trade for Faneca, draft an OL in the 2nd round, how is that not building the OL?

We did try to build the OL for the future, it hasn't worked. They've drafted 3 OL in the past 2 seasons. 2 of those players were taken in the first round. Considering the OL is still one of the worst in the NFL, you have to assume they have no clue how to build an OL with the draft.

Like I said before, if you think McFadden is not impressive, I guess you haven't watched Long that much. He's been far from impressive in quite a few games this season. So we draft Long with the 4th pick and we get another DBrick.

And next season the OL will still have issues and the same excuses will be made except by then, we'd have spent 4 draft picks on OL and it still hadn't improved. I've watched Jake Long this season, he is not anything impressive at all. Yeah he's good, but taking him in the top 5 is a mistake in my opinion.

If other teams can build good OL taking players in later rounds, why can't the Jets?

If the Jets draft McFadden, trade for Faneca, draft an OL in the 2nd round, how is that not building the OL?

It takes a few years for draft picks to pan out. Next year and the year after are when those first round lineman should really pay dividends. There are a few guys that have to be replaced on this line, not the ones we drafted. I don't have much problem with the drafts, but don't get me started on the FA signings.

I don't think that you can rate college players strictly on watching them for a game or two, or even worse checking out a youtube highlight reel. There is too much opportunity for a guy to rely on one skill (speed, strength) to abuse mid-level competition. When you get to the NFL everybody is fast and strong. Too much game planning to stop guys sometimes makes them look worse. That's why the combine and all star games, for all their flaws are so important.

You are 100% correct that drafting McFadden doesn't preclude building the OL. One pick does not decide the entire direction of the off season. I think Faneca is a FA after this season, but he may be a little light and I'm not completely sold he'll be value to help the running game. I'm also not so sure about drafting OL in the later rounds. Those guys often turn out to be good to great players, but they will not be ready to immediately start-see Bender. The Jets OL needs help NOW. That means 2nd and 3rd round picks and top-level FA signings, IMO.

We did try to build the OL for the future, it hasn't worked. They've drafted 3 OL in the past 2 seasons. 2 of those players were taken in the first round. Considering he OL is still one of the worst in the NFL, you have to assume they have no clue how to build an OL with the draft.

Personally, I almost stopped reading after the bolded terms.

Mangold has been our best OL by far and Dbrick has improved.

The problem is Mangini also had a 34 year old avg baby LG in PKendall and two pieces of sh!t tackles in a washed up Fabini and Adrian Jones. Thats the OL he inhereted. Hopefully we can find a solid G and/or T in the draft and groom Bender to play whichever of those positions we arent able to fill via the draft.

Im not saying we should take Jake Long, I have no idea what we should do. I just dont think we should use a top 5 pick on a RB that wont be more then average on a team lacking both on Defense and on the OL.

Archived