The reason why Chad was exposed and why he could be good again.

Jetlag

It's been years since we've seen Chad Pennington on top of his game and being an effective QB who could really move an offense. It's been so long I nearly forgot why and how he was good. Then I remembered.

Does anyone recall how sportscasters and fans alike would wax poetic about Chad's play action? I know I know it was a long time ago but think hard and try to replay it in your head. He was like a damn magician with that thing and it certainly threw off many a cameramen, nevermind defenses. Fearlessly holding the ball to his side while showing the defense his back, it was one of the bravest things a QB could do. Chad's game was completely built off that play action. It would give him the time he needed to make accurate deeper passes and cornerbacks couldn't just sit and wait on out routes.

Unfortunately not all good things last forever. It didn't help that our Hall of Fame running back retired and in correlation Chad's ability to use his play action also retired.

That said if Chad was moved to a team that had a solid O-line and and running game I really believe his worth would be MUCH greater then what most people on this board feel. Many used to say it matched if not exceeded Sir Peyton Manning's. If nothing else for Chad I would love to see the return of that beautiful PA of his.

It's been years since we've seen Chad Pennington on top of his game and being an effective QB who could really move an offense. It's been so long I nearly forgot why and how he was good. Then I remembered.

Does anyone recall how sportscasters and fans alike would wax poetic about Chad's play action? I know I know it was a long time ago but think hard and try to replay it in your head. He was like a damn magician with that thing and it certainly threw off many a cameramen, nevermind defenses. Fearlessly holding the ball to his side while showing the defense his back, it was one of the bravest things a QB could do. Chad's game was completely built off that play action. It would give him the time he needed to make accurate deeper passes and cornerbacks couldn't just sit and wait on out routes.

Unfortunately not all good things last forever. It didn't help that our Hall of Fame running back retired and in correlation Chad's ability to use his play action also retired.

That said if Chad was moved to a team that had a solid O-line and and running game I really believe his worth would be MUCH greater then what most people on this board feel. Many used to say it matched if not exceeded Sir Peyton Manning's. If nothing else for Chad I would love to see the return of that beautiful PA of his.

Good post, but I have to disagree here. The Oakland Raiders playoff game (2002) was a blueprint of things to come. The Raiders put 8 guys in the box and dared Pennington to throw...the beginnng of jumping the routes began and Pennington showed he didn't have the arm strength to overcome it. Of course, being the brilliant QB evaluator I am:Typotux: always knew that about Chad. And then the injuries to that shoulder only further diminished his already weak arm.

Chad did live with misdirection and it was a key part of his game. But, that is not the real reason for the demise of the player.

His arm is not the same. He will drive from twenty to twenty, with the best of qb's, as long as he is able to have a buffer of field working in front of him. But, as soon as the field is shortened, his precision can not be as effective as with a full field, and the margin of safety is cut down as receivers are covered much more tightly. The window for completion is made much smaller, and he has been unable to drive the ball through the defense.

If the Jets wanted to be cute, they could emply a Qb system where Chad is the QB up until the Red Zone, and then bring in another QB.

of course, that would never work either.

When was the last time you saw Pennington use a pump fake ala Rich Gannon ?

His arm is what it is. Above average accuracy, below average strength.

I think the play action went simply because of the injuries and the lack of trust you have in the OL. I would have go back and look and see if his play action dissapeared after the wrist injury in 03 or after the first shoulder injury in 04.

My opinion is that if recievers are jumping routes the way you deter that is using the pump fake. Just a couple of times I wish they would run the out. pump fake and then go up. The DB's would bite so bad because the know they can jump that route it would be an easy 6.

Do it a couple of times and suddenly DB's aren't so quick to jump those routes.

All of this said, a couple of balls that Penningto through to Baker were the most perfectly placed balls that you ever want to see. I am not even sure that Baker knew the ball was coming, he was covered, and the ball was placed right in Baker's hands.

Chad also has a habit of getting into too much of a rhythm and CB's start jumping his routes.

All of this said, a couple of balls that Penningto through to Baker were the most perfectly placed balls that you ever want to see. I am not even sure that Baker knew the ball was coming, he was covered, and the ball was placed right in Baker's hands.

Chad also has a habit of getting into too much of a rhythm and CB's start jumping his routes.

ya, but at the end of the day he is a swell guy

Nice post.

However shortlived that was it was still amazing to watch. I too was shocked at how he'd pause for a second with his back to the defense and also had trouble following his fakes at times. Whether it be due to the injuries or NFL defenses wising up, we haven't seen that in a while.

Watching the Vikes last night I noticed that due to Adrian Petersons breakaway threat, Jackson had the play action open anytime he wanted. Who knows maybe with a beast of a RB Penny gets somewhat back to the brilliance he flashed in 2002.

C'mon people. Do you all just watch the game simply for what happens and pay no mind to the strategy of the game whatsoever? Chad's numbers look great because nearly the entire league employs the cover 2 -4-3 D, otherwise known as the Tampa 2. The D is meant to pressure th QB with the front 4, cover anything deep with both safeties (hence the 2 in "cover 2") and limit any offensive threat to only underneath plays. In laymens terms, if Chad completes a 5 yard pass underneath, the Cover 2 basically allows that play and ensures the tackle right away to limit it from being a big gain. It goes on the premise that if the O needs 12+ plays to drive down the field and score, eventually they will make a mistake that will cost them...ie a penalty or turnover. Defenses in today's games thrive on a QB like Pennington. He is exactly what they want because they know he will never hurt them outside of what they are willing to allow.

C'mon people. Do you all just watch the game simply for what happens and pay no mind to the strategy of the game whatsoever? Chad's numbers look great because nearly the entire league employs the cover 2 -4-3 D, otherwise known as the Tampa 2. The D is meant to pressure th QB with the front 4, cover anything deep with both safeties (hence the 2 in "cover 2") and limit any offensive threat to only underneath plays. In laymens terms, if Chad completes a 5 yard pass underneath, the Cover 2 basically allows that play and ensures the tackle right away to limit it from being a big gain. It goes on the premise that if the O needs 12+ plays to drive down the field and score, eventually they will make a mistake that will cost them...ie a penalty or turnover. Defenses in today's games thrive on a QB like Pennington. He is exactly what they want because they know he will never hurt them outside of what they are willing to allow.

I agree and that's why his use of play action kept many of those defenses more honest because they would bite on the run giving Chad much more open wide receivers.

Nice post.

However shortlived that was it was still amazing to watch. I too was shocked at how he'd pause for a second with his back to the defense and also had trouble following his fakes at times. Whether it be due to the injuries or NFL defenses wising up, we haven't seen that in a while.

Watching the Vikes last night I noticed that due to Adrian Petersons breakaway threat, Jackson had the play action open anytime he wanted. Who knows maybe with a beast of a RB Penny gets somewhat back to the brilliance he flashed in 2002.

it`s because of the lack of trust in pennys offensive line. could you imagine penny with his back turned,and d`brick furgy wiffing on a block?

What is the point of play action when you're just going to dump it off anyway? Actually fans tend to overrate the effectiveness of play action tremendously. This is the NFL, the defenses are not stupid retards that run mindlessly at an RB. Most corners will completely ignore it since corners don't even run up to tackle RBs anyway. Hell chances are they can't even see it anyway. And the biggest tipoff is probably that the guy you're covering is still running madly.

Chad was good from the 20 to the 20, but once the field got smaller, that's a different story. There is a reason the Jets really never scored over his career. Maybe if he had a stronger arm, who knows or maybe if he had a guy like Randy Moss who you can just lob the ball to, who knows. It seemed Chad and Randy did pretty good in college together.

He is what he is and that's why he's not a guy who can bring teams back from the dead. It takes the Jets too long to get down the field and when they do, they rarely score TD's. Then again, Curtis was always the pound it , pound it, and rarely break it kind of RB. He's a HOF RB but having a QB who is a 4 yard passer combined with a RB who rarely will gain 25 yards on one carry, and you have an offense that rarely scores TDs.

Flash forward to now and there is no running game and a new QB named KC really doesn't seem to be any better at this point. THe Jets still can't score TD's and when the defense isn't the greatest, even though it has improved, it's a bad combination.

Chad would do great on the Vikings, he really isn't the kind of QB the Jets seem to be building around though.

It's almost strange reading posts about Chad without all the hatred. This is the best thread I haver read in a while. Lots of constructive thoughts. Positive rep for all!!*

*Positive rep for some...didn't know there was a cap on it.

I've always said that Chad could be good with the right people around him. but honestly, anyone nfl calibur would succeed with good receivers, rb, and d and o lines. When chad feels like he has to carry a team is when he makes bad decisions which is way he has sucked so bad as of late.

Archived