Jets v. Browns 1986

raffyD

just finished watching that and I gotta say....

I am now permanently scarred for life. All hope is lost. The Jets are cursed. :shock:

Fire Eric Now.

LOL!

That was a very sad day. 1998 vs the Broncos has replaced a lot of the painful memories. The kicker is we beat the Broncos that year in the regular season and matched up very, very well with them. The Broncos were obviously the next team we would have faced if we had won.

No!

The Bills playoff game in 1981 where we fumble the opening kickoff and it's run in for a TD. he has to see that before the mud bowl.

I was at that game. I was 6 at the time so I don't remember much of football - but because I was at the game it is a lasting memory. I should have known then.

LOL!

That was a very sad day. 1998 vs the Broncos has replaced a lot of the painful memories. The kicker is we beat the Broncos that year in the regular season and matched up very, very well with them. The Broncos were obviously the next team we would have faced if we had won.

I don't know if they would have went to Denver and won that game. When they played during the season the Jets were healthy and clicking on all cylinders.

They would have went into the game with no Klecko and no Mehl. A hurting Lyons and Gastineau.

In Denver. That would have been a tough chore.

No!

The Bills playoff game in 1981 where we fumble the opening kickoff and it's run in for a TD. he has to see that before the mud bowl.

LOL.

Down 24-0 come back only to have Todd throw the pick. Oh yeah Barton would have loved that.

I could always send him DVD's of those games. I don't think he could bear it though. :P

I don't know if they would have went to Denver and won that game. When they played during the season the Jets were healthy and clicking on all cylinders.

They would have went into the game with no Klecko and no Mehl. A hurting Lyons and Gastineau.

In Denver. That would have been a tough chore.

Maybe so. But Elway had no running game and their defense was weak against the run. I think we could have beaten them.

I was at that game. I was 6 at the time so I don't remember much of football - but because I was at the game it is a lasting memory. I should have known then.

I was 16, and I was at that game. it was the Jets first playoff game in over 10 years and Shea was fricking rocking (the loudest I ever heard it). and what do we do? fumble the opening kickoff for a TD.

They made a miraculous comeback in that game. I think we were down 31-10 late in the 3rd quarter and wound up losing 31-27 if I remember right.

I was 16, and I was at that game. it was the Jets first playoff game in over 10 years and Shea was fricking rocking (the loudest I ever heard it). and what do we do? fumble the opening kickoff for a TD.

They made a miraculous comeback in that game. I think we were down 31-10 late in the 3rd quarter and wound up losing 31-27 if I remember right.

That is funny. We drove to the game from Jersey that day and the ride home was a nightmare. We had to stop at the side or the Parkway so me and my 6 year old cousin could pee on the side of the rode because we were stuck in traffic so long.

31-13 when the Jets started their climb back in the 4th qtr. Todd marches them inside the Buffalo 10 and throws a pick to end the game.

That one though never bothered me as much as 82, 86, 98 bothered me.

31-13 when the Jets started their climb back in the 4th qtr. Todd marches them inside the Buffalo 10 and throws a pick to end the game.

That one though never bothered me as much as 82, 86, 98 bothered me.

The Denver game hurts the most out of all of them. leading 10-0 at halftime and blowing that game sucked. we would have mopped the floor with the Falcons in the super bowl.

On ESPN 2. Sorry for the late notice (I tivo'd the game) but I thought I'd share the misery.

Btw, I'm making my wife watch this to show her a portion of the past pain we've endured.

Btw2, old school football RULES!

WHY DID YOU POST THIS?

Don't you love us anymore? :1cry:

No!

Bills game was a little before my time, but didn't we fumble the opening kickoff when we hosted the pats in a wildcard game? So . . . we did this twice? Maybe we are cursed.

A little before my time, but didn't we fumble the opening kickoff when we hosted the pats in a wildcard game? So . . . we did this twice? Maybe we are cursed.

Yeah, but the Bills ran this one in for a TD. the Pats didn't.

WHY DID YOU POST THIS?

Don't you love us anymore? :1cry:

lol, Kermit said it best ("it's not easy being green").

I've learned to embrace the misery that comes with this franchise. Besides, I need to put my wife through it because she is now a Jets fan and she has to experience a little of the old suffering to appreciate the future. (I know, I know, always with the future but that's all we have)

That Bills game was so early in my sports following life, that I have almost no recollection of it...

However, everytime I think of that game the name Bill Simpson pops into my head. I know he was defensive back, so should I assume Todd threw a awful pick to Simpson in the waning seconds of that game?

Anyone remember Simpson's role in that game?

http://members.tripod.com/~mydamrams/index-147.html

I have been in a daze, staring at the green and white painted ceiling above my bed for the past 2 hours. And I have come to a conclusion: I quit the Jets. I am no longer a fan. F##k the Jets.

I have decided to become a Packers fan.

Goodbye, JetNation.

For me, 1986 was one of the worst.. They started the season on a tear and then just fell apart, had some injuries and that was that. It was like one big tease.

I was only like 5 years old in 1981 so I don't really remember that game.

1998 sucked cause they were winning 10-0 and looked like they should have won that game. Somehow they just blew in the second half, and Vinny T was Vinny T. And to make matters worse, the Falcons were not a good team and a SB championship would have been in their grasp.. So close.. So freaking close. Damn Broncos. Damn Vinny. Damn Jets.

2004 sucked cause they beat the Steelers. THey dominated the Steelers. But Chad, Martin and Herm sucked and he stupid kicker who I refuse to name missed not one, but TWO Field Goals... They beat the 15-1 Steelers. The defense and special teams played one of the best games that day and yet, the offense couldn't do a damn thing and the kicker couldn't even make one kick. They might not have beaten the Pats in the Championship game, but who knows. WHile they always struggled against the Pats, those games always seemed to be close. And the way the defense was playing, who knows.

Now here we are again... Starting over..... They always seem to be the big tease who never puts out. Or they are the comedian who always leaves before the good punch line. For me they've been one big tease. Go 10-6, shock somebody, then lose, then suck again, then surprise us, then suck again... They really never are a contender and they really are never the consistent 'lottery' draft pick team. They are the perenial 8-8 team who is never good enough to win but never smart enough to draft a Elway or Montana or Manning or Brady or for that matter any other HOF over the years.

Oh god.

So now I need to watch (for the first time mind you) that Bills game along with the mud bowl.

I have a feeling the mud bowl is going to be difficult to watch.

IMO, you can't get the full effect of the mud bowl without watching the two prior games. Watch Freeman gouge the defending AFC champs for 200+ then go for 100+ against the Raiders in that slugfest. Get a good feeling going. We can't be stopped! Then watch that muddy nightmare. **** Don Shula. I laugh at his sorry ass on the sidelines every single time I watch super bowl III.

I was never that crazy about the '98 team. I watched that game at my Giant fan cousin's house in Baltimore. Dr. Doom advised me that there was no way that Big Bill and Little Bill could cough up that lead. Especially under those conditions. He said it was in the bag. He was beaten severely.

In '86 I watched the game with my Dad as usual. As the Browns game drew to a close all the people from the block started dropping by to congratulate us. There were a bunch of people in my house. There are a few my father still has refused to let come back.

I have been in a daze, staring at the green and white painted ceiling above my bed for the past 2 hours. And I have come to a conclusion: I quit the Jets. I am no longer a fan. F##k the Jets.

I have decided to become a Packers fan.

Goodbye, JetNation.

So I guess we can expect a flurry of Favre sucks, Rodgers is the future posts then?

Yes I suffered through the NFL Films retrospective on the Jets/Browns 86 playoffs debacle. I never thought I would say this, but seeing the game again did make me feel a bit nostalgic for those old uniforms (when they wore them, I always yearned for a return to the Joe Namath 60's-70's classics -- alas, I got what I wanted).

Anywho, I have a question about this game and I hope that some other Jets fans might be able to answer it. In the last minute of regulation with the score 20-17, as the Browns were driving to tie the game, Kosar completed a pass to Webster Slaughter down around the 10 yard line - and the play ended in bounds. The Browns players (including many who came off the bench) celebrated like they had just won the game and Kosar called for an audible on the next play so they didn't hike the ball immediately.

Now, I watched this game live on NBC and I remember it pretty well. I would absolutely swear that, after the completion to Slaughter, the clock was stopped for quite a long time during the period when the Browns players were celebrating. The Browns obviously had no timeouts so any clock stoppage would have been unjustified. Maybe the Browns could have stopped the clock anyway and tied the game, but my distinct memory is that the clock stoppage helped the Browns, who were celebrating wildly while the clock should have ticked away. I remember jumping up and down in my living room screaming "ROLL THE F***CKIN CLOCK!!!"

I had some hope the the NFL Films feature of the game might highlight this issue, but it did not. To their credit, the editors of the program did include many bad calls that went against the Jets, but this issue was ignored.

I accept the possiblitly that the passage of time and my innate Jets bias has clouded my memory of the game. I wonder whether any other Jets fans noticed the same thing I saw. I am even more curious to know whether anyone has a recording of the original NBC broadcast of the game who can confirm whether I am right.

And believe me, I am a fellow Jets sufferer, but I never give up hope and certainly will never abandon the cause for another team.

Yes I suffered through the NFL Films retrospective on the Jets/Browns 86 playoffs debacle. I never thought I would say this, but seeing the game again did make me feel a bit nostalgic for those old uniforms (when they wore them, I always yearned for a return to the Joe Namath 60's-70's classics -- alas, I got what I wanted).

Anywho, I have a question about this game and I hope that some other Jets fans might be able to answer it. In the last minute of regulation with the score 20-17, as the Browns were driving to tie the game, Kosar completed a pass to Webster Slaughter down around the 10 yard line - and the play ended in bounds. The Browns players (including many who came off the bench) celebrated like they had just won the game and Kosar called for an audible on the next play so they didn't hike the ball immediately.

Now, I watched this game live on NBC and I remember it pretty well. I would absolutely swear that, after the completion to Slaughter, the clock was stopped for quite a long time during the period when the Browns players were celebrating. The Browns obviously had no timeouts so any clock stoppage would have been unjustified. Maybe the Browns could have stopped the clock anyway and tied the game, but my distinct memory is that the clock stoppage helped the Browns, who were celebrating wildly while the clock should have ticked away. I remember jumping up and down in my living room screaming "ROLL THE F***CKIN CLOCK!!!"

I had some hope the the NFL Films feature of the game might highlight this issue, but it did not. To their credit, the editors of the program did include many bad calls that went against the Jets, but this issue was ignored.

I accept the possiblitly that the passage of time and my innate Jets bias has clouded my memory of the game. I wonder whether any other Jets fans noticed the same thing I saw. I am even more curious to know whether anyone has a recording of the original NBC broadcast of the game who can confirm whether I am right.

And believe me, I am a fellow Jets sufferer, but I never give up hope and certainly will never abandon the cause for another team.

First off welcome aboard !!!!

Second off don't let the homo moderators here scare you. They just like to touch each other they won't touch you. :P

You made me dig out the game and I think what you might be thinking is the long pass down the sidelines. They were jumping up and down like they had just won the game and the clock was ticking. The ref was winding down the clock and Trumpy and Criqui were saying the Browns may play themselves out of the game if they don't get to the line.

Kosar threw one pass in the end zone that was nearly intercepted by Carl Howard.

Mosely came on kicked the field goal and sent game into overtime.

Archived