Draft Jake Long

SoFlaJets

he can play either tackle position-if he is better suited on the left side we can move Brick over to RT-where Anthony Clement has been shortening his NFL career and embarrassing himself.....where is he projected to be drafted?

Draft Vernon Gholston. Then in the second round we get the fabulous T Michael Oher or if miami takes him we grab Gosder Cherillous in the second round. Theres also a lot of talent in the OL going into FA we can fix our OL by getting two of the many guys in free agency. Like stacy andrews.

First off Jim, D'Brick can't play RT. He's way to small to do it. RT needs a real road grader who excels at run blocking. That's not D'Brick. Second of all, if we need to have 3 1st round draft picks on our line to solve the problem, then I suspect the problem lies elsewhere. I'm not saying the other 3 are great (Clement, Moore, etc..) bu they need to be replaced with competence, not greatness. If that doesn't fix it, then the problem was coaching.

First off Jim, D'Brick can't play RT. He's way to small to do it. RT needs a real road grader who excels at run blocking. That's not D'Brick. Second of all, if we need to have 3 1st round draft picks on our line to solve the problem, then I suspect the problem lies elsewhere. I'm not saying the other 3 are great (Clement, Moore, etc..) bu they need to be replaced with competence, not greatness. If that doesn't fix it, then the problem was coaching.

Long can play RT OR LT-I say whoever is the best at the positions play THAT guy-I could care less who we picked where 2 years ago-if you can't admit your mistakes you'll never fix them. I saw on JI someone saying it would be some kind of failing drafting another O-lineman that high-I don't buy it...fix the OL first and foremost-no exceptions-however it must be done then do it...

The key to building a great line doesn't involve draft guys high. It involves installing a suitable sytem and finding guys that suit that system. Teams that do that include Indy, NE and Denver. Good coaching would also help.

yea but first you gotta have NFL-caliber players ON that offensive line-sadly we don't. Clement, Moore and Clarke/Mongomery need to NOT be starting next season. It doesn't matter WHO your coaches are if the guys playing are getting run over like Clement was Sunday, and making stupid plays and penalties like Moore made against Tenn.

Whatever we do, we have to solve this problem this off season. We can not try to get some d-list player and put him in there. This line needs to gel and if we replace 2 guys a year that will never happen. We need to plug people in there that will do the job and be there for years.

The key to building a great line doesn't involve draft guys high. It involves installing a suitable sytem and finding guys that suit that system. Teams that do that include Indy, NE and Denver. Good coaching would also help.

Indy took Tony Ugoh, NE took Light and Mankins. Denver hasn't taken anyone high but they run a specific zone blocking scheme that asks for a different set of skills.

Either way it should be mentioned that both IND and NE have franchise caliber QBs who make everyone around them better. We can't just say well NE does it a certain way, we have to as well. Without a Tom Brady or a Payton Manning type of player isn't a fair comparison.

All this being said I like Brick and still would love Jake Long at RT. He actually could fall to about 7 overall because there are some questions if he is quick enough to handle speed rushers at LT. But at RT he's a run blocking mauler, would change everything about this Jets offense just by showing up. It would solve a dire need on day 1.

I guess I agree with this somewhat, but good lines come in all shapes and sizes. Look at the rebirth in Tampa this year behind Jeff Garcia. The unsung hero on that team is its offensive line. They have Davin Joseph and Aaron Sears as their two guards and Jeremy Trueblood at RT...all pretty high draft picks. They also have Donald Penn manning left tackle, an undrafted free agent. The fact that can't be denied is that offensive line play is crucial in building a good team. So, whatever method you use, it has to be done first. Drafting McFadden behind this line is not a good idea, in my opinion. Look at Adrian Peterson, he has been a difference maker with the Vikings....only problem is that the Vikings have a much better run blocking line than we do. You can't shop for hot tubs when you haven't even installed the foundation to your home, yet.

Sort of like Ive been saying all along with the 4-3 defense.Install the guys that suit the system not like the 3-4 that we dont have the suited guys for it. DUH

Indy took Tony Ugoh, NE took Light and Mankins. Denver hasn't taken anyone high but they run a specific zone blocking scheme that asks for a different set of skills.

That's my point. 2 of those you named were mid 2nd rounders and Mankins was an early 1st. But NE and Indy drafted those players because they felt they suited their systems. Look at the rest of the players like Dan Koppen and Jeff Saturday, these guys came out of nowhere but have developed into pro-bowler. That is down to good coaching and great alent evaluation, something I don't think the Jets have.

Jake Long (6'7, 313) has similar stats to D-Brick (6'6, 312), so yeah, I agree we need to get someone else to take that role. Max Starks (6'7, 337) is only 25 and he should be available this off-season. Everyone seems so excited about Faneca, wouldn't that be wild if we brought both of them over; at least then there'd be a wierd sort of meshed continuity on the line.

Sort of like Ive been saying all along with the 4-3 defense.Install the guys that suit the system not like the 3-4 that we dont have the suited guys for it. DUH

OK. If you're so smart, then tellme what "system" suits Adrien Clarke and Clement?

Name one player on the Jets worth changing systems over. The only "special" players we have are return men.

That's my point. 2 of those you named were mid 2nd rounders and Mankins was an early 1st. But NE and Indy drafted those players because they felt they suited their systems. Look at the rest of the players like Dan Koppen and Jeff Saturday, these guys came out of nowhere but have developed into pro-bowler. That is down to good coaching and great alent evaluation, something I don't think the Jets have.

Chicken or the egg? The problem is that those guys make the pro bowl because they are winning. No Peyton Manning = 0 pro bowls for Jeff Saturday.

OK. If you're so smart, then tellme what "system" suits Adrien Clarke and Clement?

Name one player on the Jets worth changing systems over. The only "special" players we have are return men.

Chicken or the egg? The problem is that those guys make the pro bowl because they are winning. No Peyton Manning = 0 pro bowls for Jeff Saturday.

Do you ever notice the Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have all the ****ing time in the world to throw????

That's on the O-line, not the QB's. Put them behind the Jets O-line and then we could see how great they are.

Do you ever notice the Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have all the ****ing time in the world to throw????

That's on the O-line, not the QB's. Put them behind the Jets O-line and then we could see how great they are.

it's actually opposite. they get the time because the defenses will drop into coverage and don't blitz as much as they would against a player who is less likely burn them (like Chad or Clemens). the Colts and Pats lines are efficient units but not amazing super units who are propping up talent less QBs. they are what they are in part because of the QBs. when tom brady recognises a blitz and quick hits the flat or when payton manning switches to a run play that affects how much a defense can pressure a QB. on the other hand when Clemens sets up 8 yards deep on a 5 yard drop or when Chad requires time and space that aren't there for his super slow release it can make the OL look worse than it really is.

it's actually opposite. they get the time because the defenses will drop into coverage and don't blitz as much as they would against a player who is less likely burn them (like Chad or Clemens). the Colts and Pats lines are efficient units but not amazing super units who are propping up talent less QBs. they are what they are in part because of the QBs. when tom brady recognises a blitz and quick hits the flat or when payton manning switches to a run play that affects how much a defense can pressure a QB. on the other hand when Clemens sets up 8 yards deep on a 5 yard drop or when Chad requires time and space that aren't there for his super slow release it can make the OL look worse than it really is.

Eh, no. They get blitzed a lot but they are just picked up. Did you watch NE vs Pittsburgh, Philly or San Diego. Same with Manning, he gets blitzed a lot too.

Archived