Patriots' Wilfork fined for third time this season

Patriots' Wilfork fined for third time this season

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

New England Patriots nose tackle Vince Wilfork has been fined $15,000 by the NFL for what the league considered unsportsmanlike conduct during last Saturday night's regular-season finale against the New York Giants.

The fine is the third this season against the Pro Bowl defender.

The sanction against Wilfork, a four-year veteran, was first reported by The Boston Globe and was confirmed to ESPN.com by league officials.

Wilfork was accused of poking his finger in the face mask of Giants tailback Brandon Jacobs. The play occurred late in the first half and Wilfork was not penalized by game officials.

On the play in question, Giants quarterback Eli Manning completed a seven-yard pass to tight end Kevin Boss with about 30 seconds remaining in the half. With the clock running and the Giants in a hurry-up offense, game officials penalized Patriots linebacker Junior Seau for delay of game for intentionally interfering with Boss as he tried to get up and make his way back to the line of scrimmage.

There was some jostling between the two teams, and during the brief skirmish, it appeared Wilfork poked his finger toward Jacobs' face. Wilfork later said the act was accidental and that he was not trying to provoke the Giants tailback. But league officials determined during their routine video review of the games that the action did constitute unsportsmanlike conduct.

It is not known if Wilfork, the Patriots' first-round pick in the 2004 draft, will appeal the fine.

In earlier incidents this season, Wilfork was fined $5,000 for drawing an unsportsmanlike conduct foul during the Oct. 14 game at Dallas. He also drew a $12,500 fine for a low hit on Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman during a Sept. 23 game. On that play, in which Wilfork appeared to drive his arm into Losman's knee, Losman suffered a sprained knee ligament that sidelined him for two games.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

That's a well-deserved fine.

I also think that, since the act didn't produce a personal foul penalty during the game, it proves, for the umpteenth time, that the League favors the Patriots. A lot. So by fining Wilfork after the fact, Goodell "saves face" while still spoon-feeding the Patriots a shot at 19-0.

Zero-tolerance my a$$.

Wilfork was accused?

This article is a f'ing joke ESPN. Accused? Anyone who watched the game saw it f'ing LIVE and then again up close on the replay. Accused? HE F'ING DID YOU ****SUCKERS! Suck on Brady & Belichick's dicks some more will ya?

That's a well-deserved fine.

I also think that, since the act didn't produce a personal foul penalty during the game, it proves, for the umpteenth time, that the Officials favor the Patriots. A lot.

it's only Jacobs eye

whiner.. willfat is a fine gentlemen

No excuse for what he did-that fine is peanuts to a player -not a real punishment.

Indeed.

I find it hilarious that a Horse Collar warrants a bigger suspension and after a couple of violations, a suspension.

So are you telling me a broken leg would heel faster than a eye poked out and being blind forever? Great job NFL.

He did not reach the eye - but it sure looked like the attempt was there....and spare me the heat of the moment stuff he's spews. I used to think he was a nice guy - but I'm coming 'round. The man tends to lose it and acts like a moron on the field. You just 'gotta love those Miami Hurricanes. I'm waiting for Merriman to stomps on someones head...

He did not reach the eye - but it sure looked like the attempt was there....and spare me the heat of the moment stuff he's spews. I used to think he was a nice guy - but I'm coming 'round. The man tends to lose it and acts like a moron on the field. You just 'gotta love those Miami Hurricanes. I'm waiting for Merriman to stomps on someones head...

he is from Maryland!!!!!

Vince Wilfork is a disgrace to the game-he is a dirty scumbag who thinks it's OK, no TRIES to injure players. It's alright to stick a finger in a guy's eye-it's fine and dandy to dive at the QB's knees and take him out. I wouldn't care if he played for the San Francisco 49ers I would say the same thing-he's a friggin thug and one of these days karma is going to come back on guys who work like this, and when it does I won't feel sorry for him

tells u mumbles changed his draft strategy.

BTW it will be 40 degrees here tomorrow, might play a few holes tomorrow

Yah, 'gotta love global warming. 45 - 50 here tomorrow. May go to the range myself.

Back to football.

It does seem that BB has changed philosphies a bit. But isn't that the mark of a man that knows what he is doing? In addition, he is able to do that because of the core of veterans he has in place that will patrol the lockerroom and make sure everyone abides by the code - what ever that code is. You know?

Yah, 'gotta love global warming. 45 - 50 here tomorrow. May go to the range myself.

Back to football.

It does seem that BB has changed philosphies a bit. But isn't that the mark of a man that knows what he is doing? In addition, he is able to do that because of the core of veterans he has in place that will patrol the lockerroom and make sure everyone abides by the code - what ever that code is. You know?

the horse range or the gun range?

There really are two separate issues here that are getting merged:

(1) was the punishment too light?

and

(2) was the punishment out of whack?

The punishment was not out of whack, based on how the league has punished other players for similar bad behavior the small fine is consistent.

$5,000 to Hester for grabbing a face mask

Newman $5,000 for helmet to helmet hit

Landry $16,764 for roughing the passer

etc.

But the reality is that all these fines are way too small to discourage this type of behavior. For things like this the player should lose the equivalent of of one games pay (take the players cap figure /16) in this case about $75K plus fine the team that amount and lower next year cap amount by the same. Then players and coaches will take notice

Vince Wilfork is a disgrace to the game-he is a dirty scumbag who thinks it's OK, no TRIES to injure players. It's alright to stick a finger in a guy's eye-it's fine and dandy to dive at the QB's knees and take him out. I wouldn't care if he played for the San Francisco 49ers I would say the same thing-he's a friggin thug and one of these days karma is going to come back on guys who work like this, and when it does I won't feel sorry for him

I have a feeling then if you saw 1/4th. of what goes on during a football game then you would probably just quit watching alltogether. This isn't freakin' hopscotch.

I have a feeling then if you saw 1/4th. of what goes on during a football game then you would probably just quit watching alltogether. This isn't freakin' hopscotch.

Like your eyes poked, punched, kicked, kneed, bittting and the old 'cup' check?

Maybe the Patriot Nation forgot that our team is the only one to do that.

Archived