What if McFadden slips to #6? I say trade the pick to DALLAS.

will

Say Darren McFadden slips to #6. Why?

1. Chris Long (MIA)

2. Glenn Dorsey (STL)

3. Sedrick Ellis (OAK)

4. Matt Ryan (ATL)

5. Jake Long (KC).

I would accept the following terms from Dallas for the #6 pick: #22; #28; #92 (third round) and ILB Carpenter (been a bit of a bust but good special teamer and might do well under Mangini). This deal would give the Jets six picks (they have #36, #67 and #98) of the first 100 in what seems to me to be a very good draft (and especially deep in areas of need for the Jets).

The Jets would lose out on McFadden, Gholston or another potentially elite player but could instead infuse the roster with excellent talent at every position of serious need. For example, if things break correctly the Jets could draft as follows:

FIRST ROUND (#22 and #28):

OLB: Derrick Harvey or Quentin Groves

OL: Chris Williams or Jeff Otah (PIT picks #23 and will likely pick a lineman)

NT/DT: Kentwan Balmer or Pat Sims

SECOND ROUND (#36):

DL: Red Bryant or Dre Moore (unless Sims slips or the Jets have taken Sims or Balmer in the first round)

THIRD and FOURTH ROUNDS (#67, #92 and #98): The Jets, having filled the most serious needs could cherry pick the best available offensive players. Elite Guards will still be there (Rachal or Schuening) as might a QB prospect like Flacco or an RB like Forte or Kevin Smith or the NT prospect that is often mentioned around here, Ahtyba Rubin.

Anyway, the extra picks would afford the Jets the incredible luxury of not having to reach for a particular position; another Jet pick will be just around the corner. For example, if the Jets pass on, say, Harvey to pick an elite WR (Sweed or Hardy or whomever) or RB (Stewart or Mendenhall) or CB (Talib or Cromartie) then maybe Groves is there at #28 or #36. Dont like the value of Williams or Otah in the first round then wait and pick Cherilious or Baker at #36 while having picked top defenders in the first round (or a top WR or RB prospect).

I can go on :)

In addition to the foregoing flexibilty and infusion of young talent, the Jets would save some money by not having to pay top dollar to McFadden or whomever they'd have picked at #6. All of the picks together would cost the Jets less money than McFadden. So, they can sign an additional FA, too.

Say Darren McFadden slips to #6. Why?

1. Chris Long (MIA)

2. Glenn Dorsey (STL)

3. Sedrick Ellis (OAK)

4. Matt Ryan (ATL)

5. Jake Long (KC).

I would accept the following terms from Dallas for the #6 pick: #22; #28; #92 (third round) and ILB Carpenter (been a bit of a bust but good special teamer and might do well under Mangini). This deal would give the Jets six picks (they have #36, #67 and #98) of the first 100 in what seems to me to be a very good draft (and especially deep in areas of need for the Jets).

Why would Dallas do this?? Last time I heard, they had a pretty good back named Barber.

Supposedly Jerry Jones - who comes from Arkansas - has a hard-on for McFadden. There have been rumours of Jones trading for the top pick to get him. This would make more sense because it would be a much cheaper deal for Dallas than trading for the top pick. Dallas is loaded all over the place and have Terrell Owens at the tail end of his effectiveness.

word is they will trade barber and their two firsts for miami's first. I would probably do it, but I would want a better player then carpenter. with dalla's lower picks the risks are a heck of a lot higher that they won't pan out. and we need some impact player now. whether he is on d or o, line or high profile the person we get needs to be a stud.

It seems a foregone conclusion that Dallas will make a play for McFadden (thus the MIA rumours which include both picks AND Barber). Its really a matter of how far down the chain of picks Dallas will wait before pulling the trigger. I am posing a hypothetical in the event he gets to #6 - perhaps unlikely considering OAK could take him (though a DT like Dorsey or Ellis makes more sense in light of the loss of Sapp) and ATL might forego the QB (Ryan) to take a franchise-type offensive weapon.

Berber is a TOP 5 RB in the league right now, YES I SAID IT!

If McFadden is up there and we don't take him, I'll literally kill myself. This guy is a franchise ****ing RB! Draft him!

He'll be wearing green & white one day.

Bro, it's not you, but the whole title "franchise RB" makes me vomit. It has ever since that average runner with uncanny durability was getting 400 touches per year for us. Big freaking yawn.

Put an average RB behind a stellar line & the team will do better than with a stellar RB behind an average line. Not to mention what is the team left with when the "franchise RB" gets injured or winded?

Expensive RB's are the biggest ripoff in the league & the worst use of draft picks. When was the last time you saw a team win a superbowl because of a "franchise RB" anyway?

Seems to me, most of these "franchise" RB's are on teams that don't win it. Sure they look good against crappy run defenses & I guess they'll make sportscenter more often.

If the Jets draft McFadden it will show nothing other than Mangini, Schottenheimer, & Tannenbaum don't have the slightest inkling of a plan to get the ground game going.

Bro, it's not you, but the whole title "franchise RB" makes me vomit. It has ever since that average runner with uncanny durability was getting 400 touches per year for us. Big freaking yawn.

Put an average RB behind a stellar line & the team will do better than with a stellar RB behind an average line. Not to mention what is the team left with when the "franchise RB" gets injured or winded?

Expensive RB's are the biggest ripoff in the league & the worst use of draft picks. When was the last time you saw a team win a superbowl because of a "franchise RB" anyway?

Seems to me, most of these "franchise" RB's are on teams that don't win it. Sure they look good against crappy run defenses & I guess they'll make sportscenter more often.

If the Jets draft McFadden it will show nothing other than Mangini, Schottenheimer, & Tannenbaum don't have the slightest inkling of a plan to get the ground game going.

I agree with you to an extent in terms of the blocking = success and not the back but still there are special cases, If you put like you said an average back behind a good line he will have good results and an effective running game. If you put a great RB (Which I think DMC could be) behind good blocking and you have great results and an elite running game.

That's another way of putting it, if we're going to address the O-line in the off-season it would be great to have a great running back to utilize that blocking to the full extent. Thomas Jones will still not produce anything spectacular I'm afraid.

I agree with you to an extent in terms of the blocking = success and not the back but still there are special cases, If you put like you said an average back behind a good line he will have good results and an effective running game. If you put a great RB (Which I think DMC could be) behind good blocking and you have great results and an elite running game.

That's another way of putting it, if we're going to address the O-line in the off-season it would be great to have a great running back to utilize that blocking to the full extent. Thomas Jones will still not produce anything spectacular I'm afraid.

See I don't agree with that at all. I think you'll have great results against below average teams, usually good/great results against average & slightly above average teams, & he'll still run into a wall once the playoffs roll around & suddenly those 8-yard wide running lanes are gone.

Jones, for better or for worse, is going to be our guy for the next 2 years unless he suffers a major injury. Deal with it.

I'd rather keep the #7 pick than trade it for the #22 and #27 (or whatever the hell dallas has in this draft) picks. Those 20's picks arent worth much in this draft, its not that deep of a 1st round. If they add in Marion Barber then I make the deal.

Dont worry about it though. McFadden will be gone by #6.

I'd rather keep the #7 pick than trade it for the #22 and #27 (or whatever the hell dallas has in this draft) picks. Those 20's picks arent worth much in this draft, its not that deep of a 1st round. If they add in Marion Barber then I make the deal.

Dont worry about it though. McFadden will be gone by #6.

Its a deep draft in several positions of need for the Jets. With the #22, #28 and #36 the Jets could secure solid prospects at LG/RT (William, Cherilious, Otah, Baker), DL (Balmer, Sims, Moore, Bryant), CB (Talib, Cromartie), RB (Stewart, Mendenhall, Felix Jones), WR (many guys, big and fast), OLB (Groves, Harvey). Also, the Jets will have saved money with which to pursue another FA (McFadden's gonna cost, two of the above guys will not cost nearly as much).

Anyway, the trade value chart indicates the #22, #28, #92 plus a touch more (why I threw in Carpenter).

Your probably right about McFadden not being there at #6 - but its within the realm.

If the Boys are stupid enough to offer the deal we take it. Really don't see this happening but if Jones really had the hard on for McFadden not sure he would take the chance to wait and see it he lasts until #6.

Agree with your point about the value in the bottom of the first and throughout the second round. We could finally fix the offensive line and add the players Tangini think we need for the 3-4. So far they have drafted OK.

If the Boys are stupid enough to offer the deal we take it. Really don't see this happening but if Jones really had the hard on for McFadden not sure he would take the chance to wait and see it he lasts until #6.

Agree with your point about the value in the bottom of the first and throughout the second round. We could finally fix the offensive line and add the players Tangini think we need for the 3-4. So far they have drafted OK.

I like the idea of trading down for more picks. But what kind of picks are we talking about? If they trade down and get another first rounder and a 3rd and 4th rounder, I won't be so impressed because the Jets haven't exactly done great in picking people outside of the first 2 rounds.

Trading down for more part time players sure won't help the team.

If McFadden were to somehow fall into the Jets' hands at 6 and the Cowboys offered what they're offering Miami, I would take that in an f'ing heartbeat, even if the Jets have to include a Day 2 draft pick or 3rd round pick.

Imagine:

Marion Barber, Two 1st round picks for the #6 overall pick and a Day 2 pick.

I'd take that without question. I love Thomas Jones, but The Barbarian is the man.

I like the idea of trading down for more picks. But what kind of picks are we talking about? If they trade down and get another first rounder and a 3rd and 4th rounder, I won't be so impressed because the Jets haven't exactly done great in picking people outside of the first 2 rounds.

Their drafts are a mixed bag. They made some reaches for Schlegal and E. Smith, I'm OK with DBrick really like Mangold and Washington...Revis and Harris look like the real deal. Mixed results but more good than bad and some could make Pro Bowl soon.

The bigger concern is how they work free agency and trades. So far, they have screwed the pooch with poor additions who did not have any impact. Kimo, Barlow, even the trade for Jones (who I like) but would have preferred keeping the second round pick and taking Blaylock or Ugoh. Hell hindsight is always 20-20. I'm just leary of the FO trying to get to cute and screwing the deal up.

Their drafts are a mixed bag. They made some reaches for Schlegal and E. Smith, I'm OK with DBrick really like Mangold and Washington...Revis and Harris look like the real deal. Mixed results but more good than bad and some could make Pro Bowl soon.

The bigger concern is how they work free agency and trades. So far, they have screwed the pooch with poor additions who did not have any impact. Kimo, Barlow, even the trade for Jones (who I like) but would have preferred keeping the second round pick and taking Blaylock or Ugoh. Hell hindsight is always 20-20. I'm just leary of the FO trying to get to cute and screwing the deal up.

I like their drafts, but for the most part, Mangold, Dbrick, and Revis are first round picks. Harris is a second rounder.

Washington is good, but they don't use him enough and he's a special teams player. I like him but Justin Miller did just as good a job the other year.. So at this point, Washington isn't used enough to really say he's a great draft pick. They should use him more, but for whatever reason they don't. Smith is a part time player at this point.

I have no problem with trading down. The Cowboys trade would be great with 2 first round picks, Barber, and a 2nd round pick.

BUt if they wind up getting the 22nd pick int the draft and a 3rd and 4th round pick... I would be worried because they really haven't proven that they can draft starters outside of the first round besides Harris.

I like their drafts, but for the most part, Mangold, Dbrick, and Revis are first round picks. Harris is a second rounder.

Washington is good, but they don't use him enough and he's a special teams player. I like him but Justin Miller did just as good a job the other year.. So at this point, Washington isn't used enough to really say he's a great draft pick. They should use him more, but for whatever reason they don't. Smith is a part time player at this point.

I have no problem with trading down. The Cowboys trade would be great with 2 first round picks, Barber, and a 2nd round pick.

BUt if they wind up getting the 22nd pick int the draft and a 3rd and 4th round pick... I would be worried because they really haven't proven that they can draft starters outside of the first round besides Harris.

I agree with you on Washington...I think he could be more if they got him the ball. Don't understand their plans...the picks would help our overall talent...we have plenty of needs...didn't see Barber coming with the picks...either way Tangini need a better overall off season then they've showed so far.

In exchange for the #6 pick in the 2008 draft the Jets would get two first round picks (22 and 28) and a third round pick (#92) and the ILB Carpenter.

Marion Barber is a FA and would have to be resigned by Dallas in order to be included in a trade. Anyway, the rumour has MIAMI (which holds the far more valuable first pick) getting the rights to Barber and the two first round picks in exchange for the first pick, which will presumably be used to select Darren McFadden.

I dont think the Jets would be interested in Barber, who'd command a substantial contract extension, but all three picks should translate into starting players. I think it would make alot of sense for the needy Jets.

Archived