Trade #6 Pick for Allen?

PeterNorth09

How about the Jets trade the #6 pick to KC for Jared Allen? Allen is by far the best pass rusher available on the market.

Sperm suggested trading the #6 pick for Terrell Suggs earlier. That's not a bad idea at all either.

Suggs is a better pass rusher than Allen IMO but I still wouldn't be against the move, Not sure if he could be an effective 3-4 OLB though whereas Suggs is proven there.

He's only 25 though so he's still got a lot of years ahead of him.

Suggs is a better pass rusher than Allen IMO but I still wouldn't be against the move, Not sure if he could be an effective 3-4 OLB though whereas Suggs is proven there.

Jets would obviously have to change back to the 4-3 if they traded for Allen. Yeah, yeah, it probably won't happen until after Mangini is gone but a change back to the 4-3 would automatically make D-Rob, Vilma and Ellis all better plus add Jared Allen in the mix.

How about the Jets trade the #6 pick to KC for Jared Allen? Allen is by far the best pass rusher available on the market.

Sperm suggested trading the #6 pick for Terrell Suggs earlier. That's not a bad idea at all either.

jared "DUI" allen wants a long-term deal and is one drink away from 3-5 in comstock if he is a NYJ.

how about #6 pick to carolina for gross and #13 pick

did you just read what you said. suggs is not a better pass rusher. allen had 15.5 sacks to suggs 5, and suggs works with a better dline group.

jared "DUI" allen wants a long-term deal and is one drink away from 3-5 in comstock if he is a NYJ.

how about #6 pick to carolina for gross and #13 pick

Gross is a UFA. The Jets can just sign him. (I dont think I read that CAR franchised him.)

EDIT: Just checked, Gross was franchised.

In a heartbeat,

I have been suggesting this for months. Trade # 6 for an established pass rusher.

Who in the draft is for sure a better pass rusher then either of them?

I know it is an unusual situation, but I think the Jets might look in that direction

did you just read what you said. suggs is not a better pass rusher. allen had 15.5 sacks to suggs 5, and suggs works with a better dline group.

When did the Ravens switch to the 4-3? Looking at Suggs' stats he average 10 sacks a season prior to last year, but I dont know how much that is due to the system.

In a heartbeat,

I have been suggesting this for months. Trade # 6 for an established pass rusher.

Who in the draft is for sure a better pass rusher then either of them?

I know it is an unusual situation, but I think the Jets might look in that direction

Yeah seriously. Outisde of Chris Long none of the pass rushers in this year's draft wow me and even Long has his flaws. I'm all for drafting Gholston but if he turns out to be another Bryan Thomas, which is certainly possible, that will kill our defense for the next few seasons.

Allen got 15.5 sacks last year. 7.5 sakcs year before that ok that's not that great but better than the grand total of 5 Suggs had this year not to mention Allen had 11 the year before that.

If Allen wants out of KC, and it seems it may be that way since they can't work out a contract with him, Chiefs may be desperate enough to pull the trigger on this deal. The 6th pick in the draft certainly isn't anything to sneeze at. And WTF, our players play better in the 4-3 anyway.

Yeah seriously. Outisde of Chris Long none of the pass rushers in this year's draft wow me and even Long has his flaws. I'm all for drafting Gholston but if he turns out to be another Bryan Thomas, which is certainly possible, that will kill our defense for the next few seasons.

Allen got 15.5 sacks last year. 7.5 sakcs year before that ok that's not that great but better than the grand total of 5 Suggs had this year not to mention Allen had 11 the year before that.

If Allen wants out of KC, and it seems it may be that way since they can't work out a contract with him, Chiefs may be desperate enough to pull the trigger on this deal. The 6th pick in the draft certainly isn't anything to sneeze at. And WTF, our players play better in the 4-3 anyway.

I understand that you like Allen and the 4-3, but IMO it doesn't make sense to trade such a high pick for a guy that doesn't fit what we are trying to do, is not under contract and will need to get a monster deal. I don't have a problem with dealing the pick for an established player and wouldn't think the deal for Allen was crazy, but aren't there any guys that fit what we are trying to do we could make a deal for?

I agree. Why Not?

It would be a good deal for both teams. If KC tags him, he walks next season, and they get nothing. It is possible to tag a player twice, but rarely done.

IMO there just won't be anyone there a 6 that is worth while for the Jets to give that kind of money to. Just can't see Chris Long falling there.

The more I think about it, this could happen.

When did the Ravens switch to the 4-3? Looking at Suggs' stats he average 10 sacks a season prior to last year, but I dont know how much that is due to the system.

actually suggs plays both DE and OLB. being that suggs had 5 sacks equal to David Harris whom didnt start all season comparing him to a DE that ended the season with 15.5, Allen - 04 9, 05 11, 06 9.5, 07 15.5 ok 45 sacks in those 4 seasons. Suggs - 03 12, 04 10.5, 05 8, 06 9.5, 07 5. suggs has the same amount of sacks in 5 yrs to allens 4......i do believe allen is a better pass rusher.

Some facts I think people are forgetting:

1) Allen unlike most Chiefs likes Edwards and wants to stay in KC, so he'll probably work a deal out.

2) As stated by most the people here Allen is a 4-3 DE, meaning we'll be trying to fit in a square peg into a circle hole - essentially what we've been doing with the players on our roster already.

3) The most important point I'm making in the rant is that to acquire Allen we need to pay him $8.879, or pay some in that ballpark salary for a guy, and have to surrender 2 first round draft picks if the Chiefs don't match the offer. And with Allen franchised, they're in the driver's seat wouldn't give up Allen for 1 1st round draft pick.

Pass on Allen because we would need to mortgage our next two years in a 25 year old DE with a HUGE contract, when we can get a stud in the 6 slot this year.

He aslo quit drinking last season and has changed his life around. Not something very easy to do @ 25.

Oh and he's 5x's the player Johhny Abe was.

You only have to surrender two firsts if you claim a tagged player. if it is a trade it can be anything agreed upon.

John Abraham went for a late first.

Bingo. Oh, and for all those "Allen isn't a 3-4 player arguments... Mangini's 3-4 defense has been a disaster. Why stick with a losing gameplan when most of our players are better in the 4-3 and Allen and Suggs can both play 4-3.

No thanks. If the Jets are going to trade way the sixth overall pick I'd prefer it was for a player who has expierence at excelling in the 34 defense and that player would be Terrell Suggs. Jared Allen? Who knows if he can make the switch from the 43 DE role to a 34 OLB? Pass.

I'll pass. No doubt we need a pass rush. But he may not work in 3-4. Unless the FO just wants to get more players who don't fit this scheme. Hell this FO seems to collect players that don't fit this scheme but I'll still pass on Jared Allen. We need to work through the draft. I'll give this FO another year to collect more players for the 3-4.

I'll pass. No doubt we need a pass rush. But he may not work in 3-4. Unless the FO just wants to get more players who don't fit this scheme. Hell this FO seems to collect players that don't fit this scheme but I'll still pass on Jared Allen. We need to work through the draft. I'll give this FO another year to collect more players for the 3-4.

I pass on Allen, too, though I personally witnessed him shred the Jets O-line for two easy sacks of poor Kellen Clemens. D'Brick, I believe. I may be a sucker for the draft and for the infusion of young talent that I can call the Jets' own.

I want the Jets to develop a stout defensive line, which is why i like guys like Merling, Dre Moore, Red Bryant and to a lesser extent (he will go high) Balmer.

I pass on Allen, too, though I personally witnessed him shred the Jets O-line for two easy sacks of poor Kellen Clemens. D'Brick, I believe. I may be a sucker for the draft and for the infusion of young talent that I can call the Jets' own.

I want the Jets to develop a stout defensive line, which is why i like guys like Merling, Dre Moore, Red Bryant and to a lesser extent (he will go high) Balmer.

Allen sure did manage to take a big a sh*t on D'Brick in week 17.

I agree that the defense needs young talent though Allen is only 25. Red Bryant I'd definitely like to see the Jets go after as a potential Nose Tackle for us.

Bingo. Oh, and for all those "Allen isn't a 3-4 player arguments... Mangini's 3-4 defense has been a disaster. Why stick with a losing gameplan when most of our players are better in the 4-3 and Allen and Suggs can both play 4-3.

YOU SHOULD CALL MANGINI AND TELL HIM TO SWITCH BACK TO A 4-3. IM SURE HE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU

JARED ALLEN PLAYS IN A 4-3 DEFENSE. WE UNFORTUNATELY ARE IN A 3-4. DRAFT MERLING, GHOLSTON OR SOMEONE ELSE. THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL YOU TRADE THAT PICK FOR HIM.

YOU SHOULD CALL MANGINI AND TELL HIM TO SWITCH BACK TO A 4-3. IM SURE HE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU

NO NEED TO YELL

Allen sure did manage to take a big a sh*t on D'Brick in week 17.

I agree that the defense needs young talent though Allen is only 25. Red Bryant I'd definitely like to see the Jets go after as a potential Nose Tackle for us.

The scary thing about the Allen/Brick sackfest was that Allen just ran around the Tackle who is supposed to be fleet footed for an NFL LT.

Good thing about Bryant or Moore is that they can immediately join the DE rotation and then one day possibly grow into the NT position.

Jets play a decent amount of 4 man fronts. What I think they are after is total flexibility.

You only have to surrender two firsts if you claim a tagged player. if it is a trade it can be anything agreed upon.

John Abraham went for a late first.

I know, re-read the last sentence of point 3 and the first idea in point 1. Why would KC trade a player arguabley their most valuable player for a single (1) first round draft pick. Also Allen wants to stay in KC and play for Herm, so thats another strike against the trade. Finally, if the Jets decided to go to the bargaining table to acquire him and say the 6th this season, guaranteed the Chiefs would fire back saying "Uh, yeah Jared Allen is worth to us the exact amount of how much we'd be compensated via the tag." (Equalling 2 1st rounders and having the driver seat of Allen)

So please, no John Abraham examples needed since Abraham was a far different story in age, durability and production.

If KC has that mentality (which is a 98% chance) then lets see the amount of love for us drafting Allen for the 6th pick in '08 and our 1st '09

I know, re-read the last sentence of point 3 and the first idea in point 1. Why would KC trade a player arguabley their most valuable player for a single (1) first round draft pick. Also Allen wants to stay in KC and play for Herm, so thats another strike against the trade. Finally, if the Jets decided to go to the bargaining table to acquire him and say the 6th this season, guaranteed the Chiefs would fire back saying "Uh, yeah Jared Allen is worth to us the exact amount of how much we'd be compensated via the tag." (Equalling 2 1st rounders and having the driver seat of Allen)

So please, no John Abraham examples needed since Abraham was a far different story in age, durability and production.

If Allen wants so bad to stay in KC and the Chiefs are so determined to keep him how come they haven't worked out a contract yet?

In all likelihood Allen remains a Chief, Tangini don't even pursue him, and our 3-4 defense gets sh*tted on a weekly basis once again next season by every running back we face and we make the Kenny Watsons of the world look like Jim Brown on steroids while never generating anything close to a pass rush.

If KC has that mentality (which is a 98% chance) then lets see the amount of love for us drafting Allen for the 6th pick in '08 and our 1st '09

The hypothetical was Allen for the #6. Maybe the Chiefs wouldn't go for it, but it's not so far out there we can't discuss it. Personally, I'd take Abraham and the #6 over Allen and the #29 and I think most GMs would too. As for Allen wanting to "stay in KC and play for Herm" last I heard, his agent was spouting off about how he'd love to play for the Niners.

Archived