Edwards facing major rebuild in K.C.

BP

As he autographed football cards from his playing days, Kansas City coach Herm Edwards was asked whether the Chiefs would be a good team in 2008.

"I don't know if we're going to be a good team," Edwards said, "But we're going to be a young team."

:rl:

That became clear when Edwards later said the Chiefs are preparing to lose between 15 and 20 players before the start of next Friday's free-agent signing period.

"There's going to be a lot of players that we're going to have to end up letting go," Edwards said. "We're rebuilding this whole thing.

"That's the truth of it. I don't sugar coat it. It may get me in trouble at times, but I just tell the truth."

Yes, having to tell the press that you tell the truth. you mean like when you told Coles ''as long as I'm the head coach you're going to be a Jet''? shortly before he went to the Redskins.

Edwards didn't specify upcoming cuts, but cornerback Ty Law is likely to lead the list. Law has started every game for Kansas City the past two years, but is 34 years old and set to earn a $6.5 million base salary.

Other potential goners are linebacker Kendrell Bell ($3.25 million), safety Greg Wesley ($2.8 million), wide receiver Eddie Kennison ($2.5 million), and tight end Jason Dunn ($830,000). The Chiefs also have 11 players set to become unrestricted free agents, most of whom seem unlikely to return.

Edwards said the Chiefs will enter next season with at least eight new starters.

"We knew it was eventually going to get to this," Edwards said.

:rolleyes:

Hired away from the New York Jets in 2006, Edwards guided one of the NFL's oldest teams to a wild-card berth in his first Chiefs season. But the bottom fell out during last season's 4-12 campaign.

"It was painful to suffer the way we had to suffer last season for ourselves and our fans," Edwards said. "But hey, we'll work our way out of it. You're never that far away in this league."

The rebuilding process will begin largely through April's draft. Kansas City has 10 picks, including two selections in the fifth, sixth and seventh rounds from previous player trades involving quarterback Trent Green (Miami), running back Michael Bennett (Tampa Bay) and kicker Lawrence Tynes (New York Giants), respectively.

The key selection is the No. 5 overall pick. The Chiefs secured the slot Friday at the NFL scouting combine when Atlanta won a coin flip that locked the Falcons into the No. 3 pick and Oakland into No. 4.

Edwards wouldn't talk about which players the Chiefs were considering

Did he just suggest that the way you build a team is with offensive linemen as he notes that they go fast in the draft?

Herm has been an NFL HC for 7 years now. At no time has any Herm Edwards team used a second-rounder (let alone a first-rounder) on an offensive lineman. ONCE in seven years a mid-3rd-round pick was used (Kareem McKenzie, way back in 2001 - Herm's first season). Since then, not a single guard, center, or tackle on day one in 6 consecutive drafts. The next most-heralded OLman he's ever drafted was Adrian Jones (with the 132nd overall pick). And has the balls to blame "bad luck" when QB after QB of his get clobbered.

What a clown.

Did he just suggest that the way you build a team is with offensive linemen as he notes that they go fast in the draft?

Herm has been an NFL HC for 7 years now. At no time has any Herm Edwards team used a second-rounder (let alone a first-rounder) on an offensive lineman. ONCE in seven years a mid-3rd-round pick was used (Kareem McKenzie, way back in 2001 - Herm's first season). Since then, not a single guard, center, or tackle on day one in 6 consecutive drafts. The next most-heralded OLman he's ever drafted was Adrian Jones (with the 132nd overall pick). And has the balls to blame "bad luck" when QB after QB of his get clobbered.

What a clown.

Maybe he's learning? Either that or he got a call from Dick and was told how to rebuild

Either way if true probably should at least kill the Chad/Coles to KC talk for a while

"We like Brodie," Edwards said. "We thought he came in and did a good job. His problem is he didn't have a lot of help." - Herman Edwards

Not a lot of help? Croyle had Dwayne Bowe, Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson and he still sucked. I know KC's offensive line is a shell of what it once was but last year it was probably around average which is better than what a lot of teams had including the Jets.

Herm is a dead duck in Kansas City. No quarterback, his O-line is going to sh*t (I hear Casey Wiegmann may be a goner, Roaf, Sheilds and now Wiegmann all gone).

Tangini better not bail out this c_cksucker and give him Chad Pennington for a mid-round pick. I want Herm to go down next year in flames. Can you say 2-14 mfer? Ha!

"We like Brodie," Edwards said. "We thought he came in and did a good job. His problem is he didn't have a lot of help." - Herman Edwards

Not a lot of help? Croyle had Dwayne Bowe, Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson and he still sucked. I know KC's offensive line is a shell of what it once was but last year it was probably around average which is better than what a lot of teams had including the Jets.

Herm is a dead duck in Kansas City. No quarterback, his O-line is going to sh*t (I hear Casey Wiegmann may be a goner, Roaf, Sheilds and now Wiegmann all gone).

Tangini better not bail out this c_cksucker and give him Chad Pennington for a mid-round pick. I want Herm to go down next year in flames. Can you say 2-14 mfer? Ha!

Actually, giving him Penny for a mid rder will put Hermy in an even deeper whole. Now he'd end up with two QB's earning starter money, one young guy and one older guy, and one less draft pick to give either of them the help he says they need.

Actually, giving him Penny for a mid rder will put Hermy in an even deeper whole. Now he'd end up with two QB's earning starter money, one young guy and one older guy, and one less draft pick to give either of them the help he says they need.

I would take the Chiefs' third round pick for Chad. I think its the third pick in the round, #66. Coles for the #27 (I have no idea if this is reasonable but he is still excellent and could seriously help Girard and the JAX offense). The Jets could add plenty of young talent in what seems to me to be a strong draft, at least through the first three rounds. They would have six picks in the first 100. They have more than six major needs, but this would be a major step in the right direction. And they still have Vilma to deal.

I would take the Chiefs' third round pick for Chad. I think its the third pick in the round, #66. Coles for the #27 (I have no idea if this is reasonable but he is still excellent and could seriously help Girard and the JAX offense). The Jets could add plenty of young talent in what seems to me to be a strong draft, at least through the first three rounds. They would have six picks in the first 100. They have more than six major needs, but this would be a major step in the right direction. And they still have Vilma to deal.

The thing about Coles is that he's not a 'dead weight' like Chad or Vilma. He can start and be our #1 next season. So yeah, we can trade him, but if we do, the question becomes who to replace Coles with.

Im not sure if its worth dealing Coles at this point.

The thing about Coles is that he's not a 'dead weight' like Chad or Vilma. He can start and be our #1 next season. So yeah, we can trade him, but if we do, the question becomes who to replace Coles with.

Chad may not exactly be

Absolutely. I love Coles. He has been a exceptional receiver. But I worry about the injuries, especially the concussions. And I dont see him taking well to losing at this stage in his career, especially if his contract is not resolved. If JAX would trade the #27 for him, which to me is a very steep price, then I grab it instantly. He is worth much more to JAX, who is a player or two away, than to the Jets.

A low first round pick for the Jets means they can a pick a potential starter at OLB (Gholston), OT (Baker, Cherlious) and DL (Moore, Balmer, Merling) and still have many chips to play. They can get a decent WR in FA or later in the draft (or both). Its not ideal but the Jets IMO have to first build the lines and the LB corp before they will contend for the Super Bowl.

Absolutely. I love Coles. He has been a exceptional receiver. But I worry about the injuries, especially the concussions. And I dont see him taking well to losing at this stage in his career, especially if his contract is not resolved. If JAX would trade the #27 for him, which to me is a very steep price, then I grab it instantly. He is worth much more to JAX, who is a player or two away, than to the Jets.

A low first round pick for the Jets means they can a pick a potential starter at OLB (Gholston), OT (Baker, Cherlious) and DL (Moore, Balmer, Merling) and still have many chips to play. They can get a decent WR in FA or later in the draft (or both). Its not ideal but the Jets IMO have to first build the lines and the LB corp before they will contend for the Super Bowl.

But by trading Coles and not getting a good WR out of it, we turn the WR position to a position of want (which it currently is) to a position of need. We dont know how good Gholsten or any other draft prospect will be. With Coles he's a proven commodity, and one thats worth keeping around unless we get an offer we cant refuse.

But by trading Coles and not getting a good WR out of it, we turn the WR position to a position of want (which it currently is) to a position of need. We dont know how good Gholsten or any other draft prospect will be. With Coles he's a proven commodity, and one thats worth keeping around unless we get an offer we cant refuse.

I wouldn't refuse the #27 pick for him (for the reasons I state just above - age, attitude and concussion history).

That will never happen for a number of reasons. My bet is that was Mangini trying to talk up Chad to other teams because we started dangling him in trade talks and got no bites.

My bet is that he will not be a Jet by the beginning of Training Camp.

I don't see how saying he has to battle with an unproven QB to win his job raises his draft stock, I really don't.:confused0082:

Mangini obviously loves Chad and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start next season.

The surprising thing to me is the number of people over at ChiefsPlanet (a site I like alot) who think Herm is a good choice to guide the rebuild.

It's pretty pathetic.

We're any of you this stupid before???:lol:

I only started watching the NFL in 2002 and TBH I never ever liked Herm.

It's pretty pathetic.

I lost most support for Herm after the 2002 season. '01 I fell for his crap. We didnt play well but made the playoffs. In '02 we backed in, and fell apart in the playoffs again.

I began hating him after his you play to win the game quote.

I finally saw through his bullsh!t quotes and realized he doesnt have a clue on what it takes to be a head coach. He's a great cheerleader. But terrible head coach.

coles might be worth a win or two to us next season, but we really need to re-tool that position in the draft. If we could land a late first rounder we'd be able to look at a lot of different options, weather its receiver or, my personal favorite, Gosder Cherilus.

It will be rough not having a true number one receiver, but IMO, it's much more important to have true linemen. Which is exactly what we will have if we can get more early picks.

coles might be worth a win or two to us next season, but we really need to re-tool that position in the draft. If we could land a late first rounder we'd be able to look at a lot of different options, weather its receiver or, my personal favorite, Gosder Cherilus.

It will be rough not having a true number one receiver, but IMO, it's much more important to have true linemen. Which is exactly what we will have if we can get more early picks.

Well if we sign Faneca and a tackle in FA, we could draft Gholsten at #6, pick someone like Hardy or Sweed in rd 2, and some NT like Okam or Bryant in rd 3...

We'd be able to accomplish that without sacrificing Coles.

It's pretty pathetic.

I didn't get down on Herm til 03. in 2002 we won the division and beat the crap out of the Packers at the end of the year I believe I didn't think to question the idiocy at our helm.

Archived