Drob trade rumor--DD

Greenseed3

per Draft Daddy:

N.F.L. Combine News/Rumor Mill, Directly From Indy [Part Six B]:

"Additionally, there were some rumors in Indy about Jacksonville and the New York Jets talking about a Dwayne Robertson for Mike Peterson swap."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sperm and his cap-number analysis might be onto something. Would we really move Drob? If this rumor is true, I think it leads credit to the notion of acquiring Shaun Rogers via the Detroit Lions (for Vilma). This kind of cap savings would allow us to make a run at the soon-to-be rich Mr. Samuel.... and if drafting Gholston is still possible, we could quickly have a legit 3-4 defense.

I'm not giddy about getting a 31 yr old LB. But he is an upgrade over Barton and Kassell; and more importantly, frees up cap space to make a run at a CB upgrade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ellis-Rogers-Coleman

Gholston-Peterson-Harris-Thomas

Samuel-Elam-Rhodes-Revis

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's one hell of a defense.

per Draft Daddy:

N.F.L. Combine News/Rumor Mill, Directly From Indy [Part Six B]:

"Additionally, there were some rumors in Indy about Jacksonville and the New York Jets talking about a Dwayne Robertson for Mike Peterson swap."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sperm and his cap-number analysis might be onto something. Would we really move Drob? If this rumor is true, I think it leads credit to the notion of acquiring Shaun Rogers via the Detroit Lions (for Vilma). This kind of cap savings would allow us to make a run at the soon-to-be rich Mr. Samuel.... and if drafting Gholston is still possible, we could quickly have a legit 3-4 defense.

I'm not giddy about getting a 31 yr old LB. But he is an upgrade over Barton and Kassell; and more importantly, frees up cap space to make a run at a CB upgrade.

Ellis-Rogers-Coleman

Gholston-Peterson-Harris-Thomas

Samuel-Elam-Rhodes-Revis

That's one hell of a defense.

Not sure Peterson is a great fit--although I think he's a good player. Don't really like the ends, but Rogers would make both better.

Most importantly....Asante will NOT be a Jet next season.

If there's rumors about trading Drob, than our FO must have something up there sleeve with Rogers or some other NT, becuase you don't leave Pouha as the only viable starting NT on our team and not have some sort of plan in mind. I am not huge on the switch, but the amount of money we would save would be incredible.

If there's rumors about trading Drob, than our FO must have something up there sleeve with Rogers or some other NT, becuase you don't leave Pouha as the only viable starting NT on our team and not have some sort of plan in mind. I am not huge on the switch, but the amount of money we would save would be incredible.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Also, Mosley ain't chopped liver. I actually thought he'd was terrific at times.

We'll see. The $10M/10 yr report was from a Boston paper... Who knows what he'll actually "settle" for... Besides, making big improvements on a team will start to lure the otherwise uncertain players.

That numbers also complete BS. All that matters in a contract is the guaranteed money. I'm sure his 10M/10 yr contract would be extremely backended when a team could easily cut him. Most big contracts are just for show and don't reach the money they are advertised too.

That numbers also complete BS. All that matters in a contract is the guaranteed money. I'm sure his 10M/10 yr contract would be extremely backended when a team could easily cut him. Most big contracts are just for show and don't reach the money they are advertised too.

Exactly. I doubt he gets the 30 million in guarantees that he's looking for, but he'll get a very large contract. The last couple years will probably total 30+ million and be all options, which makes the agent look amazing when he can say he got his play a 100 million dollar contract.

We'll see. The $10M/10 yr report was from a Boston paper... Who knows what he'll actually "settle" for... Besides, making big improvements on a team will start to lure the otherwise uncertain players.

The $100 million isn't why I dont think he'll be a Jet. The fact of the matter is, for all their faults, they're very money smart(and often thats a bad thing). It's easy to see how it has sucked having so much money tied up in Chad and Drob the past couple years, and they're not going to do the same for a guy at a position that they just spent a 1st rounder on.

Every double-take contract out there has some sort of clause which protects the team. It wouldn't suprise me if AS just wanted to have the title of "best" contract, he seems pretty shallow.

I could see a realistic contract including all sorts of incentives, clauses, and triggers; which may (unrealistically) allow those figures, but probably produce a down-to-earth figure.

Nonetheless, freeing up money by moving Drob would allow us to pursue just about any CB we deem fit.

Obvioulsy the Jets believe that Mike Peterson could be an impact ILB in the 34, but I honestly just don't see it. Maybe I'm just blind.

Would love to unload Robertson's contract and get a player for him, but then what does that mean for the future of either John Henderson or Marcus Stroud in Jacksonville? From their stand point, unless they plan on unloading one of those two players, how would this trade make sense?

Obvioulsy the Jets believe that Mike Peterson could be an impact ILB in the 34, but I honestly just don't see it. Maybe I'm just blind.

Would love to unload Robertson's contract and get a player for him, but then what does that mean for the future of either John Henderson or Marcus Stroud in Jacksonville? From their stand point, unless they plan on unloading one of those two players, how would this trade make sense?

I see it. He's a veteran. Kassell is a veteran. Jets are releasing Barton & drafting another ILB. Peterson will start this year & the '08 rookie will start in '09.

This is a player dump. Jets are dumping DRob. This way they're getting something for him. I'd rather have a pick ordinarily, but we need another legit starter & Barton will be worse then last year, when he was worse than the year before, when he was worse than he was before that. You see where I'm going.

Peterson's only under contract through 2008. His cap # is his salary ($3M even; same as Barton). As far as the lineup is concerned, this is a Barton for Peterson swap.

Anything else - specifically, extending Peterson with a big contract - and I actually do not get it. His listed weight is 5 lbs more than Vilma who was a non-factor. Then again, I'm not that familiar with his type of play. Some guys play bigger than their size. Vilma, however much innate talent he might have had, played smaller than his size.

Isn't Mike Peterson around the same exact size of Vilma? What am i missing here?

Isn't Mike Peterson around the same exact size of Vilma? What am i missing here?

I can't speak on his play as I have seen him play, but there are players who can play in the 34 at vilmas size as long as they can shed blockers ie. they play bigger than their size, they are stronger than vilma or more powerful. Like sperm said, for all of his natural ability he just doesn't play big or strong.

Like mentioned above, so eloquently by Sperm (;)) this may be more of a dumping than a hopeful acquisition. Finding anyone to take on Robertson's salary is a blessing in itself. It's unfortunate that Stroud has the injury he has, but Drob has shown that he can take on two-gap responsibilities, so putting him on that D-line will make him a better gap-shooter; his forte.

Also, the fact that we can get a player to play next to Harris might just be frosting on the cake.

I can't speak on his play as I have seen him play, but there are players who can play in the 34 at vilmas size as long as they can shed blockers ie. they play bigger than their size, they are stronger than vilma or more powerful. Like sperm said, for all of his natural ability he just doesn't play big or strong.

Donnie Edwards was one of those smaller guys who was actually effective in a 3-4. Zach Thomas as well. Hell, Harris isn't exactly enormous for a LB at 243 lbs. But these guys PLAY big. Vilma was listed at 230, some claim in camp he looked (physically) bigger than that. But he plays like he's 219 lbs.

He's the same height as Vilma but 8 lbs heavier, according to NFL.com. That would also make him about 4 or 5 lbs lighter then Harris.

I havent seen him play much either so I cant tell you if his playing style fits that of a 3-4 ILB or not.

Its a pretty weird rumor. Its not obvious like Rogers for Vilma where the jets need a nose and the lions could use a MLB.

I don't see how a journalist would pick the jaguars and mike peterson as an adequate match for jets and Robertson. I would think it probably leaked from one organization.

People havent got to see much of Peterson because he had a torn pectoral in 06 and a broken hand in 07. Hasnt played much in 2 years.

Thats both a good and bad thing for him.

Bad, obviously, because being injured sucks. However, also good because it means he's had virtually two years less normal football tear and wear that most his age have had.

I'd rather see Drob traded away for a draft pick than Peterson but this trade sounds good. The only thing is the FO better have another NT in place now besides Pouha who can't handle the load by himself.

Great point. All we need is another Pete Kendall fiasco, this time on the D line.

Great point. All we need is another Pete Kendall fiasco, this time on the D line.

well if we can do this for peterson, something else for rogers, and sign either Pace, Faneca, or Adams... We'd be able to go into the draft only needing like 2 or 3 positions. As opposed to the 6 or 7 we need now.

well if we can do this for peterson, something else for rogers, and sign either Pace, Faneca, or Adams... We'd be able to go into the draft only needing like 2 or 3 positions. As opposed to the 6 or 7 we need now.
I just don't want us trading off D'Rob without an NFL caliber NT to replace him.

Well considering Drob isnt much of an NFL caliber NT himself, its worth it IMO. Especially if we can get Rogers from the Lions as well.

Rodgers would certainly be an upgrade as a NT over D'Rob. I just don't want Pouha starting. That would be like what we did last year at LG when we traded Kendall.

Rodgers would certainly be an upgrade as a NT over D'Rob. I just don't want Pouha starting. That would be like what we did last year at LG when we traded Kendall.

Idk about that comparison. Kendall, while he wasnt great, was better at his position then Drob is at his. Also, with this deal at least we know what we're getting in return. All we got for Kendall was a 4th rd pick in next years draft.

Idk about that comparison. Kendall, while he wasnt great, was better at his position then Drob is at his. Also, with this deal at least we know what we're getting in return. All we got for Kendall was a 4th rd pick in next years draft.

That's my point. We stupidly traded off Kendall WITHOUT having a viable back up. That cost us the season last year. I don't want us doing the same thing at NT.

Archived