VILMA : PATS need not apply (BOSTON paper) ~ ~ ~

kelly

Patriots Notebook - Jets' Vilma is on market

But the Patriots need not apply

JONATHAN VILMA Shopping around

By Mike Reiss and Christopher L. Gasper

Globe Staff / February 25, 2008

INDIANAPOLIS - Jets linebacker Jonathan Vilma is on the trading block, but the linebacker-needy Patriots shouldn't get their hopes up.Two sources with ties to Vilma said the 2004 first-round pick has permission to shop his services to 30 of the league's teams, but not the Patriots.While a high-ranking Jets official said the team would trade within the division if the value was right, even if it meant dealing with its bitter rival in New England, the sources close to Vilma contended otherwise.

Vilma's agent, Mitch Frankel, could not be reached.

That the Jets possibly would impose such a restriction on the Patriots could be viewed as a reflection of the continuing bad blood between the teams. Relations between the teams were icy even before the Patriots violated the NFL's videotaping procedures at the Jets' home stadium in the season opener. The ice only has grown thicker in subsequent months.

The New York Daily News reported Friday that the Jets have given Vilma permission to shop himself, noting that there are two layers to the process.

Vilma has one year remaining on his contract and is seeking a new deal, so the first layer would be striking a new contract with an interested team. If that happened, the team would negotiate compensation on a trade with the Jets.Vilma is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2008 season, so the Jets have some motivation to facilitate a trade. He also underwent knee surgery in November, so there are some health questions and it remains unclear how well Vilma would fit in the Patriots' system.

> http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/02/25/jets_vilma_is_on_market/

.....the media cracks me up. Is there actually a story here? Why would you make a deal with a divison foe - who is also is the strongest foe - that could most likely make 'em stronger? Me thinks that has a lot more to do with it than "bad blood."

Man, like sheep to the slaughter........

I don't blame the Jets at all. Screw the Cheaters. Hell if the shoe was on the other foot the Cheaters would do the same thing and not let a player walk over to the Jets.

Except that if he's that ill suited to the 3-4 shouldn't we welcome the Pats getting him?

I think it's because they know the Pats will feign interest to monkey around with any potential deal (like we did with Gay and Branch) and they may have concerns about teams bad mouthing his health. This precludes the Pats getting any word out. They are not involved.

.....the media cracks me up. Is there actually a story here? Why would you make a deal with a divison foe - who is also is the strongest foe - that could most likely make 'em stronger? Me thinks that has a lot more to do with it than "bad blood."

HAHA...I 100% agree. The media can make anything into a story. 'My faorvite recent non stoty was that the league is "closer" to a deal with walsh. What the hell is that?

NE is not going to bolster its LB corps signing up over - rated NY Jets.

Agree. This is fluff nonsense. NE wouldn't have any interest in Vilma anyway, so they get "points" with some NE-hating Jets fans who don't realize this is a crowd-pleaser. And if it's from Vilma, what arrogance to think NE would even want a 225-lb ILB'er with no power and no contract past 2008. Right after his incompetence in a 3-4 was illustrated so clearly by a rookie taking his place as starter.

Heard on NFL Radio today, Tim Hasselback said the Jets are taking offers from other teams for Vilma, Except the Patriots!! He said " The Jets shouldn't do that" I say Why Not? F- them!!

They can have Kassel back if they want though!!:rl:

Why would they enquire?

He is too small for the Patriots' system.

patriots - bills: drew bledsoe

Archived