New Orleans gets Gay-er

HuRRiCaNe ViLMa

GAY GOES SOUTH

After two frenetic days of free agency, Sunday was shaping up to be a lot slower.

So much for that.

The Patriots have lost cornerback Randall Gay to New Orleans, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Gay has agreed to terms on a four-year, $17.8 million deal, which includes a $3.75 million signing bonus and $6.9 million in guaranteed money.

It's not a jaw-dropping deal, but it further damages the defending AFC champions. And Gay figures to be an improvement over Jason David, who performed like a piece of French (Quarter) Toast for the Saints in 2007.

GAY GOES SOUTH

After two frenetic days of free agency, Sunday was shaping up to be a lot slower.

So much for that.

The Patriots have lost cornerback Randall Gay to New Orleans, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Gay has agreed to terms on a four-year, $17.8 million deal, which includes a $3.75 million signing bonus and $6.9 million in guaranteed money.

It's not a jaw-dropping deal, but it further damages the defending AFC champions. And Gay figures to be an improvement over Jason David, who performed like a piece of French (Quarter) Toast for the Saints in 2007.

Good, I did not want this guy, just because of his name!![-X

Personally, I would like to see what J. Miller can do. The coaching staff was smitten by his improvement last year before his injury. If he is was as improved as they thought he was, he and Revis could be an oustanding 1-2 punch. But I would like to make a move for Foxworth too, but only for the right price.

Personally, I would like to see what J. Miller can do. The coaching staff was smitten by his improvement last year before his injury. If he is was as improved as they thought he was, he and Revis could be an oustanding 1-2 punch. But I would like to make a move for Foxworth too, but only for the right price.

when the price is dewayne robertson, the price is always right.

I agree, Revis perform very well this season and we know Miller can throw a punch

GAY GOES SOUTH

So much for that.

That is insane money for a nickle-back. He played behind Hobbs and Samuel. He's injury prone and short. The thing I remember about Gay was how he was OWNED by Terrell Owens in the SB. I remember a clip from the SB dvd I have where Terrell Owens says, "keep feeding me the ball. They have Gay covering me. He can't touch me. It's a joke." - something like that. Owens was right too. Too bad McNabb literally gagged. The Jets would have been no better with him on the squad. Trust me.

Since when did anything different apply to Miller. He's awful in coverage.

Miller gets a bum rap. He'll be just fine starting next year, if that's what the CS decides to do.

His positives are really hard to come by; great in run support, very physical, great speed...he just needs some work on technique (which is fixable). I'd be happy with him competing for a starting job next year.

Oh well.

There are still other corners out there, plus Justin Miller is returning and was supposedly improving his game on the defensive side of the ball before his knockout in Week 2 in Baltimore.

The Cornerbacks will only look better in '08 if Jenkins and Pace or Gholston can add more pressure to the Quarterbacks, no matter if its Poteat and Revis, Miller and Revis or someone else and Revis.

Hey Alk,

What are the Pats fans saying about their departed players? Pissed, happy whiney, etc.

Just curious.

For me it always seems that the better teams tend to not do as well during FA because, well, they have have the better players that other teams covet and inevitably will lose some key guys.

Hey Alk,

What are the Pats fans saying about their departed players? Pissed, happy whiney, etc.

Just curious.

For me it always seems that the better teams tend to not do as well during FA because, well, they have have the better players that other teams covet and inevitably will lose some key guys.

To be honest I'm not listening to any Patriots fans. There are two types of Patriots fans right now and they're both annoying. There's the the sky is falling crowd and then there is the "In Belichick we trust" crowd who will run any Patriot fan into the ground that dares to question anything the Patriots do. I'm somewhere in between.

I prepared myself for Samuel's departure before the season even started so he was already gone in my eyes. I almost feel sorry for the Eagles. They paid Champ Bailey money for a good not great CB who just looked better in the Patriots system.

Now Moss on the other hand. If we lose him, there will be some problems.

To be honest I'm not listening to any Patriots fans. There are two types of Patriots fans right now and they're both annoying. There's the the sky is falling crowd and then there is the "In Belichick we trust" crowd who will run any Patriot fan into the ground that dares to question anything the Patriots do. I'm somewhere in between.

I prepared myself for Samuel's departure before the season even started so he was already gone in my eyes. I almost feel sorry for the Eagles. They paid Champ Bailey money for a good not great CB who just looked better in the Patriots system.

Now Moss on the other hand. If we lose him, there will be some problems.

i could see that being annoything (the two types of pat fans). I'm with you on the Asante signing in Phili. He seems to be a system CB, does a really good job with it, but any time a guy gets signed for that kind of money and rarely plays man-to-man coverage...you gotta be a bit worried.

I still think NE will have an 11 win season without Moss, they will just run the ball more. Also, if moss does leave, expect Welker's number to drop off significantly.

i could see that being annoything (the two types of pat fans). I'm with you on the Asante signing in Phili. He seems to be a system CB, does a really good job with it, but any time a guy gets signed for that kind of money and rarely plays man-to-man coverage...you gotta be a bit worried.

I still think NE will have an 11 win season without Moss, they will just run the ball more. Also, if moss does leave, expect Welker's number to drop off significantly.

The one silver lining is I can see the Patriots running the ball alot more this season. We'll have Morris back healthy and Maroney looked like he was starting to figure things out by the end of the season. Maybe Belichick is wanting to go back to a more conservative style of offense. Who knows.

Listen, the Pats have won SB's and have made the playoff's without Randy Moss - that said, he would be a SIGNIFICANT loss. 1) Welker would miss him dearly and 2) - and this is the BIG one: a pissed off Tom Brady. Remember how pissy he was when his lost his first binky, Deion Branch? I expect even worse if Moss departs.

Still, my worries about the Pat's are not on offense (even though the recievers corp right now consists of Wes Welker, Kelly Washington and Chad Jackson - and rumor of the eminent resigning of Gaffney), my worry is with the defense. The secondary lost it's #1 corner and arguably it's 3 or 4 corner. Now I have Hobbs and who? Richardson? Is he healed from his injury? Antwan Spann? I mean, c'mon now. Makes me want to jump onboard the Ty Law reunion - OY! LB is another strong concern. Bruschi is a great vet presence - but he's lost more than a step - regardless of his tackle total last year. Is Seau even coming back? Vrable and Thomas are solid. But those four have other teams salivating about their runnning games, I'm sure.

Archived