DRob to the Bengals for 4th & 5th rd picks?

Johnnybones

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sources: Bengals send picks to Jets for Robertson

By Michael Smith

The New York Jets and Cincinnati Bengals have agreed to terms on a trade that would send defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to the Bengals in exchange for Cincinnati's fourth- and fifth-round picks (Nos. 114 and 151) in the upcoming draft, according to league sources.

Robertson

Completion of the trade is contingent upon Robertson agreeing to a new contract -- he had two years remaining on his rookie deal with New York -- and passing a physical, though neither is expected to hold up the deal, which could be finalized as early as Monday.

On Friday the Bengals had a deal in place to acquire Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers in exchange for third- and fifth-round picks, but that trade fell through when it did not meet league approval. The Lions then traded Rogers to the Bengals' in-state rivals, the Browns, for a third rounder and cornerback Leigh Bodden.

In Robertson, 26, the Bengals, hoping to improve a defense that has ranked higher than 27th in yards allowed once in the past five seasons, will get a player who isn't as big or as dominant as Rogers has been in his first five season. But Robertson is just as hungry for a fresh start. Robertson, 6-foot-1 and 310 pounds, should be a better fit as a penetrating "3-technique" tackle in Cincinnati's 4-3 scheme than he had been in the Jets' 3-4 the past two years.

In an interesting twist, the Bengals will have on their roster two of the first four picks in the 2003 draft. In fact, Cincinnati selected quarterback Carson Palmer first overall that year from among a group of four finalists that also included Robertson, whom Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis (along with many other personnel evaluators) is said to have loved coming out of the University of Kentucky.

Robertson will be the fifth interior defensive lineman to be dealt for at least one draft pick since Friday, joining Corey Williams (Packers to Browns), Kris Jenkins (Panthers to Jets), Marcus Stroud (Jaguars to Bills) and Rogers. Some do not consider the 2008 draft to be deep at the defensive tackle position, thus several teams have decided to instead spend pick on a veteran.

Michael Smith covers the NFL for ESPN.

4th & 5th rd picks

Great move by the Jets. Some on here said they were seeking multiple Day 1 picks and I just wasn't buying it. I would've been happy with a third. A 4th and a 5th could be even better in terms of more weapons to trade up into the 2nd or 3rd round. We now hold three 4th round picks and Cincinnati's 5th round pick.

Great move by the Jets. Some on here said they were seeking multiple Day 1 picks and I just wasn't buying it. I would've been happy with a third. A 4th and a 5th could be even better in terms of more weapons to trade up into the 2nd or 3rd round. We now hold three 4th round picks and two 5th round picks.

Considering better DT's went for a 3rd and a 5th, this is a GREAT trade for a DT with a bum knee...

Jenkins,4th rd, 5th rd, pouha >>>>>>>>>>> Drob, 3rd rd, 5th rd, Pouha

Awesome, this was a good move.

Agreed. If Rogers & Jenkins BOTH went for 3rd+5th compensation, then 4th+5th compensation for DRob - who everyone knew we'd dump just for salary reasons, and who needs a new contract immediately - is a good move. A good move for Cincy also. He's a 5-year starter, willing to do a job he's not suited-for without complaining to the press, high-character (which they could use in a big way over there), is decently talented, and is still only 26. With the character thing, he may very well be a better pickup for Cincy than Rogers would have been.

I was hoping for more, but sometimes you have to be realistic. We weren't getting more for DRob than we gave up for Jenkins. Plus we just created over $8M more cap space for this year (and counts nothing against the cap next year).

Vilma + DRob just turned into $10M in cap space and two 4th-round picks this year, and an upgrade from a 4th to a 3rd or a 2nd next year. Pretty sweet considering what misfits they both were in the 3-4.

Sperm is right, this really cleared a ton of more salary cap space for us. Could it be impossible to think the Jets could covet Woody AND Olivea? Probably is out of the question because they probably think of Woody as their Right Tackle in 2008, but you never know. :beer:

Sperm is right, this really cleared a ton of more salary cap space for us. Could it be impossible to think the Jets could covet Woody AND Olivea? Probably is out of the question because they probably think of Woody as their Right Tackle in 2008, but you never know. :beer:

I dont know man, with how aggressive they've been, I wouldn't count anything out of the equation.

BTW--how many posts until someone comes and complains "he'll be a probowler over there, typical Jets"? :P

I think that's overkill money-wise. We can grab a rookie this year to insert at either RG or RT in '09. I'm not a big fan of Moore starting, but if he's the 5th-best lineman I'm ok with it, at least for this year. He's due a $5M roster bonus next year so 2008 will tell if he's worth it or if we should go in another direction.

I dont know man, with how aggressive they've been, I wouldn't count anything out of the equation.

BTW--how many posts until someone comes and complains "he'll be a probowler over there, typical Jets"? :P

I think it's within the realm of possibility that he makes a probowl in a 4-3 defense.If the Bengals can convince the opposing teams to let them tie a pork chop around their QB's neck he would be a HOF DT

Robertson in his three years in New York of playing in a 43 system never excelled anywhere near the platform he was placed on after being selected 4th overall. He was never a consideration for an All Pro or Pro Bowl team and therefore to get two draft picks for him, no matter if its a 4th and a 5th, I'm very happy to see it happen, ESPECIALLY after Pro Bowlers such as Jenkins and Stroud are dealt for a 3rd and a 5th. :beer:

I think it's within the realm of possibility that he makes a probowl in a 4-3 defense.If the Bengals can convince the opposing teams to let them tie a pork chop around their QB's neck he would be a HOF DT

Nah..I meant complaining that they sent him off. Cant complain about a FO sending off a guy who didnt produce, regardless of what you think about him. Be that D-rob, Vilma, **Pennington**, or whoever on this team.

If they dont produce for the team, get 'em out. I could care less if they win MVP on another team, as long as whoever we bring in does better for us.

Robertson in his three years in New York of playing in a 43 system never excelled anywhere near the platform he was placed on after being selected 4th overall. He was never a consideration for an All Pro or Pro Bowl team and therefore to get two draft picks for him, no matter if its a 4th and a 5th, I'm very happy to see it happen, ESPECIALLY after Pro Bowlers such as Jenkins and Stroud are dealt for a 3rd and a 5th. :beer:

Highly agree with that. We essentially traded Drob and a 3rd for Jenkins and a late 4th(to compensate for the position difference). I'll take that any day.

This was much better than I expected. You guys are right; we shouldn't have expected to get better than what we gave up for Jenkins or what Cleveland gave up for Rogers. I just didn't think we'd even get anything close. Even to get multiple mid-round draft picks to replenish our stock is great while clearing a lot of cap space.

As a Cincy fan I'm thrilled to have him. He's better than our current tackle John Thornton by far.

I think you'll be quite happy billy. You got him for a steal too. He's a rarity in todays football world ......a non complainer.

I don't like that the deal is contingent upon them agreeing to a new contract. I hope the Bengals don't cheap out. Hopefully they are embarassed enough about the Rogers debacle to shut up and pay DRob. I thought they were going to try to go 3-4, but the article claims DRob will be a 3-tech. Wouldn't make sense to get DRob if they were switching to the 3-4.

I don't like that the deal is contingent upon them agreeing to a new contract. I hope the Bengals don't cheap out. Hopefully they are embarassed enough about the Rogers debacle to shut up and pay DRob. I thought they were going to try to go 3-4, but the article claims DRob will be a 3-tech. Wouldn't make sense to get DRob if they were switching to the 3-4.

This is SOP. CIN wouldn't have negotiated a trade for Robertson if they didnt already have some talks with his agent about a new deal. Same situation as the Jets with Jenkins.

I like this trade but I think the Jets could have waited and gotten a bit more. After the Rogers thing (losing him to a division rival) CIN was in somewhat of a bind. And with Rogers, Jenkins, Williams and Stroud already gone then maybe DT has become more of a seller's market? Anyway, its nitpicking. I like that the Jets are moving quickly to revamp the roster. Hopefully, the next announcement is the resigning of Rhodes, though the timing of the Robertson deal may indicate Pace is next? Regardless, this is fun stuff.

Archived