Coles close to a deal with Jets

faba

COLES & JETS NEAR NEW DEAL

By MARK CANNIZZARO

LAVERANUES COLES

Wants security.

article_storybottom.gif

March 26, 2008 -- The Jets averted a significant offseason headache when receiver Laveranues Coles on Monday reported to the team's offseason strength and conditioning program - amid strong signs he's on the verge of working out a contract extension.

Coles, who's made it clear he wants a long-term contract extension, had threatened to be a no-show in the program, which is voluntary.

Coles has two years and $11 million left on his current contract. The Jets, trying to placate Coles, offered to guarantee those two years. But that hasn't been good enough for Coles, who is more concerned with the security of a long-term deal so he can finish his career with the Jets.

An NFL source familiar with the dealings between the Jets and Coles told The Post yesterday the team is in the process of "tweaking some things in his contract."

Asked if that means extending Coles' deal to give him the security he seeks, the source said, "Yes," and added that a new deal is "imminent."

The Jets, in fear of the Coles situation morphing into an ugly matter like the Pete Kendall situation last year, are believed to have made some sort of assurance to Coles that they will rework his deal.

Coles is a key figure for the Jets for a couple of reasons. First, he's their top receiver. Second, he's a team captain and is well-liked in the locker room. So he has some good leverage.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

I hope this new deal has a clause where he cannot bitch and moan about how hard camp is.

Yep. I don't want to hear more about how "screwed over" he has been or is being, or how tough his life is given the rewards he gets. Sure training camp is hard; but you're stupidly-well paid, so zip it. Some people even PAY money to join gyms and workout with personal trainers that kick their asses.

He's still an a-hole. Just don't like the guy.

I would like to see his new deal have a performance clause because in a few years, if he's still playing, his concussion symptoms will probably just keep getting worse and either way, with age, his production will go down. Incredible how the Jets just cave in this year. Players need to learn to honor their contracts.

I would like to see his new deal have a performance clause because in a few years, if he's still playing, his concussion symptoms will probably just keep getting worse and either way, with age, his production will go down. Incredible how the Jets just cave in this year. Players need to learn to honor their contracts.

Performance clauses with him are tough. One of his (many) complaints is that he stipulates his #'s are down b/c he runs so many clear routes. If you have his $ tied to yards/TD's, he's going to turn into Shockey in the huddle.

I would love to see the Jets give him a deal and cut him anyway after this season (if they can find his replacement). How excellent would that be?

They won't be able to. If he's getting an extension, he's getting more up-front money. Or are you suggesting we cave into his demands, make him happy, then cut him when there's no benefit to doing so?

Yep. I don't want to hear more about how "screwed over" he has been or is being, or how tough his life is given the rewards he gets. Sure training camp is hard; but you're stupidly-well paid, so zip it. Some people even PAY money to join gyms and workout with personal trainers that kick their asses.

He's still an a-hole. Just don't like the guy.

its alll about him, not the team for sure

i think this greatly dimiinishes our chances of going WR early as well. i would much rather have someone like hardy than this bitch

No it doesn't, because in 2-3 years when this guy is done and cut we will have cotch and whomever we draft going right into his prime.

Guess I should extend my hate to the FO as well...

Fire Tangini... not just Mangini

Self hatred can sometimes manifests itself as a projection of said hatred onto other things/people that you have no reason to hate but it a safe outlet for your hatred.

we can draft someone else this year, if he is gonna be around for 2/3 more years there is no need to use a 2nd rounder on a wr

We need depth, a 3rd WR, someone to step up when coles gets a concussion and misses the year. Also WRs usually take a year or two to really hit their stride and make the transition.

We need depth, a 3rd WR, someone to step up when coles gets a concussion and misses the year. Also WRs usually take a year or two to really hit their stride and make the transition.

fair enough good point. so u think we draft more of a "developmental" receiver later?

we can draft someone else this year, if he is gonna be around for 2/3 more years there is no need to use a 2nd rounder on a wr

Perhaps. But WR's typically take at least 2 yrs to develop into upper-echelon players. Of course this assumes the player shows any promise at all in those first 2 years.

WR is one of those positions you (generally) don't draft one when you're desperate for one. Otherwise we could have traded Coles now & drafted a WR like Sweed this year. Problem with that is the rookie will probably struggle for the better part of his first season or two; in the meantime, the team would suffer.

I think if Coles is cuttable after 2-3 seasons (or if his cap charge allows us to keep him as a #2/#3 by then), drafting a WR this year is a good idea. Just no total projects like Brad Smith; the guy should at least have been a WR in college.

Perhaps. But WR's typically take at least 2 yrs to develop into upper-echelon players. Of course this assumes the player shows any promise at all in those first 2 years.

WR is one of those positions you (generally) don't draft one when you're desperate for one. Otherwise we could have traded Coles now & drafted a WR like Sweed this year. Problem with that is the rookie will probably struggle for the better part of his first season or two; in the meantime, the team would suffer.

I think if Coles is cuttable after 2-3 seasons (or if his cap charge allows us to keep him as a #2/#3 by then), drafting a WR this year is a good idea. Just no total projects like Brad Smith; the guy should at least have been a WR in college.

Anyone heard about this kid from Hofstra? Marques Colston

I don't know much about him, but from what I've heard he's the type of big physical receiver we need. Like I said I don't know to much about him but I'm sure the front office has a good idea of what he can do, I mean he's right in our back yard.

I don't know much about him, but from what I've heard he's the type of big physical receiver we need. Like I said I don't know to much about him but I'm sure the front office has a good idea of what he can do, I mean he's right in our back yard.

The Saints drafted him. He will be entering his third year this season.

;)

he was pretty good as a rookie wasnt he?

I'm not sure what your point is. Unless you're attempting to make the point that a WR who starts out like Colston is the rule rather than the exception.

Being big-time players as rookies? There's Colston, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson (considering the QB), Kevin Johnson (considering the QB), Boldin...that's about all I can think of in the past 10 years. So that's 5 (maybe more if I'm missing someone) who were gangbusters out of the gate.

How many WR's were drafted from 1998-2007? 332.

If you rely on a rookie WR stepping in right away & performing, you're asking for failure or blind luck & nothing more.

I'm not sure what your point is. Unless you're attempting to make the point that a WR who starts out like Colston is the rule rather than the exception.

Being big-time players as rookies? There's Colston, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson (considering the QB), Kevin Johnson (considering the QB), Boldin...that's about all I can think of in the past 10 years. So that's 5 (maybe more if I'm missing someone) who were gangbusters out of the gate.

How many WR's were drafted from 1998-2007? 332.

If you rely on a rookie WR stepping in right away & performing, you're asking for failure or blind luck & nothing more.

My point was he played his college ball where the Jets practice, you would think if anyone could have had the inside track on him he had it would have been the Jets.We took Titus Adams in the 7th, who I'll admit has a pretty cool name.

i still say give him a heavily incentive laden contract with $11 million guaranteed. if he thinks he deserves the money then let him prove it. he's such a bad ass? grab 100+ balls, amass 1600+ yards, score 12+ TDs, take us to the AFC championship game 3-4+ years in a row, help us win 2-3+ 'bowls, get yourself elected to 5 straight probowls and keep ya got-damn mouth shut. add a few more incentives and maybe the $11 mil jumps to $21 mil, maybe...? that's deal i would give his whinny arse.

way to go Jets...cave into him.... what a joke..

Well, that attitude is a LARGE part of the reason our oline and the offense in general sucked last year and why we had to make a LG the highest paid Olineman in the league this year.

I think people are taking this the wrong way. IF it were really about the money, Coles would have taken the guaranteed 2 year deal that was offered to him, I doubt the jets really were going to give him a long term deal that was any better or secure than that. The guy has played hurt, has always played hurt, so his heart is not in question. At this point after laying it all out on the field for the team, he just wants to know that he can finish his playing days as a jet. I think people are reading a little much into this, it doesn't really seem to be all about the money as much as some on this board paint it to be.

Archived