Last year of the draft in NYC? - PFT.com

DRAFT GOING ON THE ROAD NEXT YEAR?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2008, 11:43 p.m.

When the NFL draft moved from its long-time home at Madison Square Garden, there was discussion of conducting it in other cities. But the draft merely made an in-town move, landing at Radio City Music Hall.

Gary Myers of the New York Daiily News reports that this is the final year of the contract with Radio City Music Hall, and that the draft could be taken on the road in the future.

We

Personally I think the NFL needs to keep it in New York City. Its where its always been and that is where it belongs, not random cities like Miami, Houston, Oakland and Glendale, AZ.

I agree, keep it in NY. Plus thats whre the NFL offices are.

It would be a bit of an anti climax if the team with the number one pick hosted the draft because more often than not everybody knows who's going to be selected with the first pick.

Pick a random team in the top 5 to host it would make it interesting.

Personally I think the NFL needs to keep it in New York City. Its where its always been and that is where it belongs, not random cities like Miami, Houston, Oakland and Glendale, AZ.

I agree.

If they really want to get fancy, they can rotate cities by draft no.

For example, the 1st year, the team with the 1st overall pick would host. The 2nd year, the team with the 2nd overall, etc, etc...

But I really dont see the point of moving the draft out of NYC.

It's funny that this was brought up. I was in New Orleans over the summer, and they are making a HUGE PUSH to get the draft down there next year. Personally, I think its retarded. People come from all over the world to visit NYC. I think it would be a disaster, and a decision the NFL would regret immediately. Then again you just never know....

To have it go to the city with the #1 would be retarded. What if that pick is traded? Well then the whole point of that stupid idea is out the window.

The NFL, once again, is trying to make money.

The draft should stay in NYC.

The NFL, once again, is trying to make money.

The draft should stay in NYC.

It makes no difference imo. Who cares where it is held?

NYC isn't even a good NFL town (no football teams), let alone a college town. It should be in LA I think. No football teams there, but better weather and some college teams, plus hotter women that'll probably hold signs up for free.

NYC isn't even a good NFL town (no football teams), let alone a college town. It should be in LA I think. No football teams there, but better weather and some college teams, plus hotter women that'll probably hold signs up for free.

I said it makes no difference where it is held, but why move it from NYC?

The Draft could be held at the restaurant across the street from me and I wouldn't give a crap. I barely watch it on TV.

I said it makes no difference where it is held, but why move it from NYC?

The Draft could be held at the restaurant across the street from me and I wouldn't give a crap. I barely watch it on TV.

NYC is an expensive place to have anything, plus with the traffic and congestion it's probably a pain for most people to get there for it. I'd think a place like LA would be better if you want a high turnout and want to make it more of a big event type thing. You could hold it outdoors that way.

NYC is an expensive place to have anything, plus with the traffic and congestion it's probably a pain for most people to get there for it. I'd think a place like LA would be better if you want a high turnout and want to make it more of a big event type thing. You could hold it outdoors that way.

LA didn't have a hih turnout for GAMES, why would they have a high turnout for a DRAFT.

Did you just talk about traffic and congestion and then bring up LA? Have you ever driven in LA?

whatever..people can give two sh$ts less about the NFL draft in NY.

i dont think people really care.

But the truth is you hold major events in New York City because it is the center of the US. It has the magic and mystique that you have made it.

Plus the nation's largest media market doesnt hurt either.

The only reason why the NFL will leave is if they can make more money elsewhere.

oh so NYC is the only happening place in this country? I have been to the draft in NYC, and once you walk out of the building you have next to no clue it was even going on there. The people just do not care. In areas like Green Bay, Kansas City and others those fans live and sleep football. Games are the major event there not just another thing going on.

oh so NYC is the only happening place in this country? I have been to the draft in NYC, and once you walk out of the building you have next to no clue it was even going on there. The people just do not care. In areas like Green Bay, Kansas City and others those fans live and sleep football. Games are the major event there not just another thing going on.

and that's your reason to hold it in some 2nd rate city? Because they will hang banners on lamp posts and people on the street might care???

Its not about the fans. Its about money. They will make more money off it being in NYC than anywhere else in the country. They will get more exposure off of it being in NYC.

And Im sure its a nice little boost to the economy of NYC... hotels, restaurants, touristy thingies...

If they can find another city that will generate more revenue and media attention than NYC then they will move it. Until then it will be in new york.

I have to disagree there. NYC is the ideal place for the draft. I went 2 years ago, figuring it would be all jets and giants fans. This was NOT the case. NYC has the largest collection of people born in other places, so tons of fans of other teams live here already. I would guess you could find fans wearing jerseys from pretty much every team in the league at the draft in NYC, you can not say that would really happen in any other city.

I've been to the NFL draft. I waited hours to get in and I had a great time.

I think it's an amazing event to have here but I don't see it as something we just have to keep. I actually think it would be really great to see the NFL move it around from yr to yr.

Archived