Fox Sports- J Long doesn want to play for Miami

flgreen

The pressure is on for Pacman

8833151_6_2.jpg by John Czarnecki

John Czarnecki has been the editorial consultant for FOX NFL Sunday since its 1994 inception. This season marks Czarnecki's 30th year covering the NFL. He is one of 44 selectors to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Updated: April 15, 2008, 11:53 AM EST 519 comments

add this RSS blog email print

Outside of his family, attorney and agents, there is no clamor to reinstate Adam "Pacman" Jones.

It's not like he's some franchise quarterback or the next Jerry Rice. He has a fondness for strip clubs and a Tennessee compound with quite a few guard dogs. He's a young man who has run amok through society, having as much fun as possible. He's the poster boy for getting into trouble. .moreTeamsDiv { position:relative; float:right; padding-right:10px;}.moreTeamsHdr { background-image:url(/fe/img/Story/moreTeamsOn_header.gif); background-repeat:repeat-x; background-position:top; height:35px; color:#000000; font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; padding-top:4px; padding-left:4px; font-weight:bold;}.moreTeamsLinks a:link, .moreTeamsLinks a:visited { color:#1266a4; text-decoration:none; padding-top:4px; padding-left:4px; padding-right:4px; padding-bottom:4px;}.moreTeamsLinks a:hover { text-decoration:underline;}.moreTeamLinks { font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration:none;}.storyPoll { padding-bottom: 5px; float:right;}

But in order to pay those bar tabs, Pacman needs to earn a living. He needs some cash flow. Money doesn't simply rain from the strip-club sky.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is willing to pay him $1.2 million to play this season, but first NFL commissioner Roger Goodell must allow him back into the league. Pacman was banished for the entire 2007 season, much like the punishment Paul Hornung and Alex Karras were handed decades ago for gambling.

I always thought the dream place for Pacman would be Oakland, with him and DeAngelo Hall in the same defensive backfield. The picture of those two brash, ****y cornerbacks yelling and taunting opponents, and occasionally their own coaches, seemed like great Sunday afternoon fare. But I digress.

Pacman is planning to apply for reinstatement today, but Goodell won't act quickly. Why should he?

He would like to see the Titans and Cowboys finalize a trade and then permit Pacman to attend Dallas mini-camps and work out at the Valley Ranch facility. Goodell wants to monitor Pacman a little while longer and see how he reacts in a team setting. Plus, there isn't a bigger temptation for Jones than the 44 gentlemen's clubs in the Dallas metro area. Hall of Famer Michael Irvin has reportedly changed his lifestyle, but he still might have an idea or two about the best club in town.

This all makes sense to me. Give Pacman a chance to work with the Cowboys and if there are no misdeeds, allow him to play this season. Pacman has posed for a few mug shots, starting in college, but he's never served time thanks to good attorneys and his background as a very good football player.

Goodell may even stretch his timeline into training camp if he likes and Jones will be OK with it as long as Pacman's reinstatement comes before the first preseason games.

The Pacman case has been a very interesting one, considering Goodell went farther than any previous commissioner in meting out discipline. A part of me believes Paul Tagliabue would have permitted Pacman to play because he wasn't actually convicted of a serious crime last year. He was only guilty of being a young man seriously out of control.

Goodell did the right thing, and league's owners concurred, because playing in the NFL is an honor not a right. Players

The pressure is on for Pacman

8833151_6_2.jpg by John Czarnecki

John Czarnecki has been the editorial consultant for FOX NFL Sunday since its 1994 inception. This season marks Czarnecki's 30th year covering the NFL. He is one of 44 selectors to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Updated: April 15, 2008, 11:53 AM EST 519 comments

add this RSS blog email print

Outside of his family, attorney and agents, there is no clamor to reinstate Adam "Pacman" Jones.

It's not like he's some franchise quarterback or the next Jerry Rice. He has a fondness for strip clubs and a Tennessee compound with quite a few guard dogs. He's a young man who has run amok through society, having as much fun as possible. He's the poster boy for getting into trouble. .moreTeamsDiv { position:relative; float:right; padding-right:10px;}.moreTeamsHdr { background-image:url(/fe/img/Story/moreTeamsOn_header.gif); background-repeat:repeat-x; background-position:top; height:35px; color:#000000; font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; padding-top:4px; padding-left:4px; font-weight:bold;}.moreTeamsLinks a:link, .moreTeamsLinks a:visited { color:#1266a4; text-decoration:none; padding-top:4px; padding-left:4px; padding-right:4px; padding-bottom:4px;}.moreTeamsLinks a:hover { text-decoration:underline;}.moreTeamLinks { font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration:none;}.storyPoll { padding-bottom: 5px; float:right;}

But in order to pay those bar tabs, Pacman needs to earn a living. He needs some cash flow. Money doesn't simply rain from the strip-club sky.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is willing to pay him $1.2 million to play this season, but first NFL commissioner Roger Goodell must allow him back into the league. Pacman was banished for the entire 2007 season, much like the punishment Paul Hornung and Alex Karras were handed decades ago for gambling.

I always thought the dream place for Pacman would be Oakland, with him and DeAngelo Hall in the same defensive backfield. The picture of those two brash, ****y cornerbacks yelling and taunting opponents, and occasionally their own coaches, seemed like great Sunday afternoon fare. But I digress.

Pacman is planning to apply for reinstatement today, but Goodell won't act quickly. Why should he?

He would like to see the Titans and Cowboys finalize a trade and then permit Pacman to attend Dallas mini-camps and work out at the Valley Ranch facility. Goodell wants to monitor Pacman a little while longer and see how he reacts in a team setting. Plus, there isn't a bigger temptation for Jones than the 44 gentlemen's clubs in the Dallas metro area. Hall of Famer Michael Irvin has reportedly changed his lifestyle, but he still might have an idea or two about the best club in town.

This all makes sense to me. Give Pacman a chance to work with the Cowboys and if there are no misdeeds, allow him to play this season. Pacman has posed for a few mug shots, starting in college, but he's never served time thanks to good attorneys and his background as a very good football player.

Goodell may even stretch his timeline into training camp if he likes and Jones will be OK with it as long as Pacman's reinstatement comes before the first preseason games.

The Pacman case has been a very interesting one, considering Goodell went farther than any previous commissioner in meting out discipline. A part of me believes Paul Tagliabue would have permitted Pacman to play because he wasn't actually convicted of a serious crime last year. He was only guilty of being a young man seriously out of control.

Goodell did the right thing, and league's owners concurred, because playing in the NFL is an honor not a right. Players

Would you?

1 win ****ty team

No fan support

Hot as Africa

I mean, he won't be losing much $ if he goes in the top 5, which he will. Either way he'll be making plenty of guaranteed coin.

30-35M compared to say 15-20.. Definitely can live on both, but the difference is big.

Plus no state tax in Florida?

Exactly.

I think PFT did a little research on what Reggie Bush lost going #2 to NO compared to #1 to HOU (Texas also has no state tax)......

One thing that is good for the Jets moving to NJ. Players will not have to pay NY and NJ state tax.

Plus no state tax in Florida?

Just saw this thread & was going to write it. Someone else is on the ball here.

Let's see...play somewhere else that has (in his bracket) 7-8% state tax. On his guaranteed money alone (about $34M I'm guessing) that's well over $2M in cash (or at least half that for the home games). What if he plays in NJ for the Jets? Top tax bracket is like 9%. Plus he'll miss out on $14M guaranteed to boot.

After his rookie deal he can go wherever he wants. 6 years living in Miami in his early to mid-twenties with an ungodly amount of money? There are worse places to be.

Just saw this thread & was going to write it. Someone else is on the ball here.

Let's see...play somewhere else that has (in his bracket) 7-8% state tax. On his guaranteed money alone (about $34M I'm guessing) that's well over $2M in cash (or at least half that for the home games). What if he plays in NJ for the Jets? Top tax bracket is like 9%. Plus he'll miss out on $14M guaranteed to boot.

After his rookie deal he can go wherever he wants. 6 years living in Miami in his early to mid-twenties with an ungodly amount of money? There are worse places to be.

Don't overlook all of the South Florida trim this guy will be pulling down.;)

I think the best player is Arkansas running back Darren McFadden because not only is he a tough inside runner, but he also has game-breaking receiving skills. It is an unusual combination for an every-down runner. McFadden has the potential to be more dynamic than Adrian Peterson, Minnesota's rookie of the year.

The guy who hired the guy who hired the guy who hired this writer should get fired for this. Do these people even watch sports?

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/04/21/0421dolphins.html

Source: Dolphins closing in on deal with Jake Long

By Tim Graham

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, April 21, 2008

The Dolphins are close enough in pre-draft negotiations with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long that a finalized contract could be announced any day, an NFL source told The Palm Beach Post today.

The source said "there's a very good chance" Long already will be under contract as the No. 1 pick before the NFL Draft begins at 3 p.m. Saturday at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

The source dismissed prior reports that the Dolphins had issued a deadline for Long to sign so that they could move on to negotiate with other possible candidates if necessary. The source also said the Dolphins have not negotiated with any other players.

The Dolphins declined to comment. A call to Long's agent, Tom Condon, was not immediately returned.

Despite the rumblings that Long is close to reaching terms, Ohio State pass rusher Vernon Gholston still thinks he could be the one the Dolphins want.

"There's been a lot of speculation of deals being done, but at the end of the day the Dolphins will take the guy they want," Gholston told The Post. "I think I've shown them all I can do.

"I think (the Dolphins) think highly of me, going back to my interviews with them. I think I fit their system well. I have a lot of attributes as far as the speed and know I can be a player in the 3-4 defense. Hopefully I'm that decision."

Although Long said at the NFL scouting combine in February that "it would be an honor" to play for the Dolphins, a report last week on FoxSports.com claimed he wasn't thrilled about the prospect of playing for a 1-15 team.

Gholston declared he would have no qualms about coming to Miami.

"I would love to be a Dolphin and to play for them," Gholston said. "With me, winning is everything, so I'll work my butt off to make that happen as much as possible.

"Me being potentially the No. 1 pick, I know a lot of responsibility comes with that, but I'm definitely up to living up to that responsibility."

The agents for Gholston and Long agents are linked. They both belong to the powerful Creative Arts Agency firm, which also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, giving CAA three of the six players the NFL invited to be in attendance at the draft.

The other top prospects invited are Virginia defensive end Chris Long, Louisiana State defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey and Arkansas running back Darren McFadden.

Jake Long, 6-foot-7 and 313 pounds, might be the safest pick in the draft, and the Dolphins could use a tackle.

"They would get a hard-working, passionate player," Jake Long said. "Someone that comes to work and gives 100 percent every single day and has a true passion and love for the game."

He is the top player in a deep pool that may contain several franchise tackles. The two-time Wolverine captain was the fourth player in Big Ten history to be named the conference's offensive lineman of the year consecutive seasons.

Long's 37 bench press reps at the combine were matched only by Gholston. Long allowed only one sack last year (to Gholston) and two over his college career.

The Dolphins have huge holes on their offensive line and have a vacant tackle spot. Jake Long's presence would allow left tackle Vernon Carey to move back to the right side. Carey, the 19th overall pick in 2004, played on the right side his first three seasons with the Dolphins.

Teams that are on the clock have the ability to negotiate with players before they draft them.

If the Dolphins were to sign someone before the draft begins, then the St. Louis Rams, who hold the second selection, would have the opportunity to negotiate with whomever they want.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2008/04/21/0421dolphins.html

Source: Dolphins closing in on deal with Jake Long

By Tim Graham

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, April 21, 2008

The Dolphins are close enough in pre-draft negotiations with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long that a finalized contract could be announced any day, an NFL source told The Palm Beach Post today.

The source said "there's a very good chance" Long already will be under contract as the No. 1 pick before the NFL Draft begins at 3 p.m. Saturday at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

The source dismissed prior reports that the Dolphins had issued a deadline for Long to sign so that they could move on to negotiate with other possible candidates if necessary. The source also said the Dolphins have not negotiated with any other players.

The Dolphins declined to comment. A call to Long's agent, Tom Condon, was not immediately returned.

Despite the rumblings that Long is close to reaching terms, Ohio State pass rusher Vernon Gholston still thinks he could be the one the Dolphins want.

"There's been a lot of speculation of deals being done, but at the end of the day the Dolphins will take the guy they want," Gholston told The Post. "I think I've shown them all I can do.

"I think (the Dolphins) think highly of me, going back to my interviews with them. I think I fit their system well. I have a lot of attributes as far as the speed and know I can be a player in the 3-4 defense. Hopefully I'm that decision."

Although Long said at the NFL scouting combine in February that "it would be an honor" to play for the Dolphins, a report last week on FoxSports.com claimed he wasn't thrilled about the prospect of playing for a 1-15 team.

Gholston declared he would have no qualms about coming to Miami.

"I would love to be a Dolphin and to play for them," Gholston said. "With me, winning is everything, so I'll work my butt off to make that happen as much as possible.

"Me being potentially the No. 1 pick, I know a lot of responsibility comes with that, but I'm definitely up to living up to that responsibility."

The agents for Gholston and Long agents are linked. They both belong to the powerful Creative Arts Agency firm, which also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, giving CAA three of the six players the NFL invited to be in attendance at the draft.

The other top prospects invited are Virginia defensive end Chris Long, Louisiana State defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey and Arkansas running back Darren McFadden.

Jake Long, 6-foot-7 and 313 pounds, might be the safest pick in the draft, and the Dolphins could use a tackle.

"They would get a hard-working, passionate player," Jake Long said. "Someone that comes to work and gives 100 percent every single day and has a true passion and love for the game."

He is the top player in a deep pool that may contain several franchise tackles. The two-time Wolverine captain was the fourth player in Big Ten history to be named the conference's offensive lineman of the year consecutive seasons.

Long's 37 bench press reps at the combine were matched only by Gholston. Long allowed only one sack last year (to Gholston) and two over his college career.

The Dolphins have huge holes on their offensive line and have a vacant tackle spot. Jake Long's presence would allow left tackle Vernon Carey to move back to the right side. Carey, the 19th overall pick in 2004, played on the right side his first three seasons with the Dolphins.

Teams that are on the clock have the ability to negotiate with players before they draft them.

If the Dolphins were to sign someone before the draft begins, then the St. Louis Rams, who hold the second selection, would have the opportunity to negotiate with whomever they want.

:rl: Ya gotta love the week before the draft ! Especially when Parcells is involved. Talk about false rumours, lies and misdirection !

If I was a top football prospect, the first team, after the Jets, that I'd like to play for is the Dolphins. Miami is an awesome city.

Not a Dolphins fan but I have to admit that.

South Florida may be a great area, but downtown Miami is disgusting & surely not Jake Long's crowd.

He'll be plenty happy settling in outside the city. Frankly unless you're miserable, nothing-makes-me-happy creep like Coles, with that coin at his age he should be happy just about anywhere.

Archived