Jets thinking Ryan or McFadden or is it a smokescreen?

jetfuel

Jets may ride Matt Ryan express

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 10:11 PM

alg_12.jpg Benc/Getty

If he's sitting there at No. 6 in Saturday's draft, the Jets might select Matt Ryan to be their QB of the future.

By doling out $140 million in free-agent contracts this offseason, the Jets have behaved like a team in a win-now mode. But if Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan is available in Saturday's draft, they're prepared to call an audible and look toward the future.

Looking up from the No. 6 position, the Jets can't be sure what will happen with picks two through five, but they appear to be targeting Ryan and Arkansas running back Darren McFadden, multiple league sources said Wednesday. Although it's believed they prefer McFadden - they might be willing to trade up for him - the Jets are high on Ryan and could conceivably make the franchise-altering move for a quarterback.

That, of course, would be a damning indictment of Kellen Clemens, who was seen as the future when he was selected in Round 2 of the 2006 draft.

"If we did pick him, awesome. That's one more guy in the competition," Clemens said Wednesday at a league-run community event in Manhattan.

The quarterback situation is the biggest issue facing the Jets. Clemens and former starter Chad Pennington are slated to battle in training camp, but the organization isn't sold on Clemens, and Pennington is basically a $6 million insurance policy. The addition of Ryan, the highest-rated quarterback in the draft, would provide long-term security at the most important position.

It also could have an immediate impact on Pennington. Between his salary and the money it would cost to sign Ryan (the No. 6 pick probably will receive about $20 million in guarantees), the cap cost to keep all three would be almost prohibitive.

GM Mike Tannenbaum has said throughout the offseason that he expects Pennington to be on the roster, but some believe a draft-day trade isn't out of the question if the Jets somehow land Ryan. Because Pennington's $6 million base salary isn't guaranteed, he could always be released. Pennington, who still considers himself a starting-caliber quarterback, probably would welcome a change of scenery.

Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini visited with Ryan last month in Boston, where they worked him out, interviewed him and dined at an expensive restaurant. The Jets love his intangibles and, although he doesn't have an elite arm, he "can make all the throws," Tannenbaum said.

Could Ryan slip to the Jets? The Falcons (No. 3) are the most likely landing spot, but they could take LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey if he gets past the Rams (No. 2). The Chiefs (No. 5) are the only other team ahead of the Jets with a quarterback question, but they're thought to be leaning toward an offensive or defensive lineman.

"If you don't have a quarterback and you're in a position to get a quarterback, you take him," former Titans GM Floyd Reese, an ESPN analyst, said of the Jets' potential quandary.

Said one current GM: "I think Ryan's a really good player, a lot like Pennington in terms of intangibles, but with more skill. Is he special? I don't know that, but I think you take him. He's better than what they have."

If the Jets don't get Ryan, they will consider a quarterback in the second round, possibly Joe Flacco (Delaware) or Chad Henne (Michigan). Clemens, whose 60.9 passer rating was the lowest in the NFL, seems prepared for anything.

"It's an open competition right now because we were 4-12 last year; that's the nature of the beast," he said. "You go 4-12, it means a lot of areas need improvement. Competition brings about that improvement. Whether it's Chad or myself or whoever, we're looking forward to a better '08 season."

.[url=http://www.nydailynews.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=18617]

You shouldn`t even joke about those things in this day and age,not that it`s even re-motely funny, ,you could very easily find Tangini and a few of their season ticket holding FBI friends waiting on your porch when you get home from work.....

i shouldn't joke about trading for Chad Johnson??

Smoke!!!!!!

How often did the Jets management mention D. Revis before last years draft?

I haven't heard the Jets mgt say anything about Gholston.......interesting!

To tell you the truth aside from thier meetings with McFadden aside from what reporters are throwing out there I haven`t heard the JETS say much of anything about who they might be taking...

thats because actions speak ouder then words... they have hung out with mcfadden four time and tuesday made 5... so were there is smoke theres fire.. and Mcfadden said himself if I am there at 6..I think I will be a jet..

same thing happened with Vernon Davis. Refresh my memory, where did Davis end up? The jets are one of the most sercretive teams in the league, it's all smoke.

I don't want Ryan, or DMC, i'm also not even remotely worried that either will be in green next season.

same thing happened with Vernon Davis. Refresh my memory, where did Davis end up? The jets are one of the most sercretive teams in the league, it's all smoke.

I don't want Ryan, or DMC, i'm also not even remotely worried that either will be in green next season.

Well all this makes for one exciting draft huh? 2 more days..

I think they're just covering all their bases. It doesn't matter who they pick, its going to be "the guy they wanted." I think if Ryan is there and if the one scenario where no one else is there, then they can pick Ryan and trade Chad for that 2nd rounder.

Anyone who says Matt Ryan cannot throw the football is obviously way too in love with another player or just hasn't watched a Boston College game recently except for the Virginia Tech game, where Ryan made one hell of a throw, across the field. I wonder how they felt about that one. :shock:

Ryan can throw just as nice a deep ball as Kellen.

Anyone who says Matt Ryan cannot throw the football is obviously way too in love with another player or just hasn't watched a Boston College game recently except for the Virginia Tech game, where Ryan made one hell of a throw, across the field. I wonder how they felt about that one. :shock:

Ryan can throw just as nice a deep ball as Kellen.

Why does EVERY PERSON I hear talk about Ryan say that his biggest weakness is throwing the deep ball?

Are you gonna post his 19 picks and his mediocre QB Rating too?

:yawn: 10 of those in 2 games. I forgot that good or great Quarterbacks can't have bad starts. My bad. They must always be awesome.

Oh and Madmike, can you post some Boston College receivers worth a ****? Didn't think so. HE HAD NO CAST.

Why does EVERY PERSON I hear talk about Ryan say that his biggest weakness is throwing the deep ball?

Doesn't mean he can't throw it. His accuracy isn't great, but he can throw it. Pennington just can't throw it. Clemens' accuracy on deep balls wasn't that great either in '08. He also had some hang on him. I'm tired of hearing of his great deep accuracy because it wasn't there.

Ryan is Pennignton 2. Good guy. Good leader. Mediocre NFL quaterback with no ability to throw the deep ball.

Matt Ryan played in the ACC, not the MAC. He also didn't have Randy Moss at WR. Your Pennington/Ryan comparisons are ridiculous.

Matt Ryan can actually move around in the pocket and make a play. That's a skill that Chad has never mastered.

Also, when under pressure, yeah, he can make plays. He keeps calm and can even break a few tackles when needed. We all need to Believe in Matt Ryan!

Yes indeed. Matt Ryan mad tons of plays under pressure and can actually lead comebacks with limited talent around him. Example A: Boston College's offense around him against Virginia Tech, at VaTech, in the final five minutes in the rain.

:yawn: 10 of those in 2 games. I forgot that good or great Quarterbacks can't have bad starts. My bad. They must always be awesome.

Oh and Madmike, can you post some Boston College receivers worth a ****? Didn't think so. HE HAD NO CAST.

I don't care who his WR's were. DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER 19 TIMES.

Matt Ryan played in the ACC, not the MAC. He also didn't have Randy Moss at WR. Your Pennington/Ryan comparisons are ridiculous.

Matt Ryan can actually move around in the pocket and make a play. That's a skill that Chad has never mastered.

You are as bias as McShay when it comes to Ryan.

Anyone who compares Matt Ryan to Chad Pennington should be whipped and kicked off the forums.

Analysis

Positives: Has a tall frame with good muscle tone and, while a bit lean, he has the frame to carry at least another 10 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness

Smoke!!!!!!

How often did the Jets management mention D. Revis before last years draft?

I haven't heard the Jets mgt say anything about Gholston.......interesting!

Well isnt it a tad different seeing that there's a difference between picking @ 14 and picking @ 6 with a draft class as deep as this?

Apparently, because I've seen in person Matt Ryan throw well over 60 yards on many occasions to Challenger.

WOAH. Who the hell are professional scouts and people who do this for a living? He has the "Curtis Martin 28" seal of a approval. He's a lock hall of famer.

While I respect the opinions of fellow Jets fans, those who have barely seen Matt Ryan play and I will guess never broke down game film of him, I prefer the opinions of Scouts Inc which read as follows (no mention of a weak as$ arm):

Strengths: Absolutely looks the part of an NFL quarterback. Is tall enough to scan the entire field from within the pocket and is sturdy enough to withstand the pounding at the next level. Is extremely intelligent and has a tremendous work ethic. Picked up new scheme as a senior very quickly. Displays excellent footwork and delivery. Shows good touch and timing as a passer. takes something off underneath passes and can lead receiver when throwing underneath. Overall accuracy is good and shows the ability to throw accurately on the run. Puts good touch on downfield passes and flashes the ability to drop the ball in over coverage. Displays very good presence in the pocket and is capable of avoiding the rush with his quick thinking and feet. Possesses ideal intangibles. Shows great poise, is a leader on-and-off the field and wants the ball in hands late in games.

Weaknesses: He will force some throws when the protection breaks down. Field vision is a bit inconsistent still. He has failed to find the open receiver a few too many times as a senior. Isn't going to make defenders miss, doesn't have great top-end speed and isn't a dangerous open field runner that can consistently pick up yards with feet. He has eased concerns regarding durability but it's still a minor issue; he sustained a high-ankle spring during the 2006 season opener, broke bone in left foot during 2006 Virginia Tech game and underwent foot surgery in January, 2007.

Overall: Ryan was redshirted for the 2003 season. In his four-year college career (2004-07), Ryan played in 45 games (32 starts), completing 807 passes on 1,347 attempts (59.9 percent) for 9,313 yards, 56 touchdowns and 37 interceptions. As a senior, he attracted attention as a Heisman Trophy candidate and finished the season ranked ninth in the nation in total offense (4,509 yards). Ryan missed one game in 2006 (Buffalo) after breaking a bone in his left foot.As expected, Ryan thrived in a more wide open system as a senior. He also proved to be more mobile and accurate than in 2006, when he was clearly bothered by a broken bone in his left foot. While he will never be a running threat, Ryan displays the feet and pocket presence to buy second-chance passing opportunities. He will still occasionally miss an open receiver and he also is forcing more throws as a senior, but part of that can be attributed to him being asked to shoulder the offense due to a sputtering running attack. Regardless, Ryan has the best combination of intelligence, leadership, size, accuracy, arm strength and competitiveness in this year's quarterback class. Hence, Ryan earns our highest grade at the position and one of the highest grades in the entire 2008 class.

WOAH. Who the hell are professional scouts and people who do this for a living? He has the "Curtis Martin 28" seal of a approval. He's a lock hall of famer.

And who are you? A guy who makes definitive statements with no substance and then makes fun of people who disagree with you.

Archived