****Official Euro 2008 Thread****

BP

The normal Ruud van Nistelrooy offside distance.;-)

Yo Panz, What do you make over the whole 'Ronaldo to Madrid' scenario?

I don't know. I'd like somebody to take Calderon and Schuster down a dark alley and beat the f**king s**t out of them with a baseball bat.

The thing is, we've used Real as a dumping ground for most of the troublesome idiots in the past (Beckham, Van Nistelrooy, and that f**king scumbag Judas Heinze), but in this case, I think Ronaldo still has a hell of a lot to offer.

I think Ronaldo'd be crazy leaving a team that are at the top of Europe, and show every sign of being there or thereabouts for the next few seasons, whereas Real show no sign of that. Yeah, they're the team he supported as a kid - he's young, he's got plenty of time in his career if he wants to go.

Still, he's under contract, and I can't see the Glazers letting him go - I know

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If countries with tin pot leagues like Ireland & Scotland can apply to host I don`t

see why Australia can`t:-)

Is soccer on the verge of taking off over there or is it destined to fail?

Just like MLS here in the States, the A-League plays in the summer as they know they can't compete with the other football codes.

I'm sure most people don't know that Australia has 3 competing football codes. Aussie Rules, Rugby League & Rugby Union. In a Country of only 20 million people it is going to be very hard for soccer to takeover sports that have been played on the big stage for over 100 years.

The Socceroos and Wallabies are popular on the National Stage. Aussie Rules is the dominant code on TV and in attendance figures.

In domestic competition Aussie Rules averages around 30,000 spectators a game. The NRL (National Rugby League) averages around 15,000.

That Italy - Romania game really was great. Italy were pretty lucky, Buffon proves again how great a keeper he is. The Refereeing desicions were awful though. Luca Toni had a perfectly good goal disallowed and that penalty desicion was pure BS.

Have to say I'm really enjoying the competition.

Yep. If he'd just kept his mouth shut, he'd still be a Red, and Saha would be getting injured every couple of weeks somewhere else.

And Holland are looking very scary. Wonder what sort of team they'll put out against the Romanians, though.

They'll rest their first 11, that's for sure.

Italy vs France will be very interesting for a very unexpected reason, win to survive.

And pray Romania don't get a result against a weak Holland.

That would be something, Italy and France both knocked out in the group stages.

If Hollland were smart they would let Romania win. I would feel much more comfortable entering the knockout stages knowing Italy and France are out.

I'm rooting for Italy to get through, it's an interesting scenario.

The Netherlands have won Group C and will play the Group D runners-up in the quarter-finals.

Romania will qualify for the quarter-finals if they beat the Netherlands, eliminating France and Italy.

If Romania fail to beat the Netherlands, the winner of France v Italy will go through.

If France and Italy draw, a point against the Netherlands would be enough to send Romania through. France must win to have any chance of qualifying.

If France and Italy share a score draw (1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc), Italy will go through if Romania lose (by any score). In this scenario, Italy, Romania and France will be level on two points each but Italy would have scored more goals in games between the 3 teams. Romania will finish bottom of the group if they lose and France and Italy draw 2-2, 3-3 or 4-4. France will finish bottom if they draw 1-1 unless Romania lose 3-0 or by a four-goal margin.

If France and Italy draw 0-0, Romania can lose by one goal, two goals or by a three-goal margin other than 3-0 but still qualify. In this scenario, Italy and Romania would have identical head-to-head records, but Romania would have better goal difference in ALL group matches or, in the case of the three-goal defeats, goals scored. France would finish bottom, having scored fewer goals head-to-head v Italy and Romania.

If Romania lose 3-0 to the Dutch, Italy would qualify with a 0-0 draw against France because of their superior coefficient points. France would finish bottom as they would have scored fewer goals head-to-head v Italy and Romania.

If Romania lose by four goals or more and the other game ends 0-0, Italy would proceed with a better overall goal difference than Romania. France would finish bottom as they would have scored fewer goals head-to-head v Italy and Romania. If France and Italy draw AND Romania avoid defeat, then Romania go through.

I'm rooting for Italy to get through, it's an interesting scenario.

The Netherlands have won Group C and will play the Group D runners-up in the quarter-finals.

Romania will qualify for the quarter-finals if they beat the Netherlands, eliminating France and Italy.

If Romania fail to beat the Netherlands, the winner of France v Italy will go through.

If France and Italy draw, a point against the Netherlands would be enough to send Romania through. France must win to have any chance of qualifying.

If France and Italy share a score draw (1-1, 2-2, 3-3 etc), Italy will go through if Romania lose (by any score). In this scenario, Italy, Romania and France will be level on two points each but Italy would have scored more goals in games between the 3 teams. Romania will finish bottom of the group if they lose and France and Italy draw 2-2, 3-3 or 4-4. France will finish bottom if they draw 1-1 unless Romania lose 3-0 or by a four-goal margin.

If France and Italy draw 0-0, Romania can lose by one goal, two goals or by a three-goal margin other than 3-0 but still qualify. In this scenario, Italy and Romania would have identical head-to-head records, but Romania would have better goal difference in ALL group matches or, in the case of the three-goal defeats, goals scored. France would finish bottom, having scored fewer goals head-to-head v Italy and Romania.

If Romania lose 3-0 to the Dutch, Italy would qualify with a 0-0 draw against France because of their superior coefficient points. France would finish bottom as they would have scored fewer goals head-to-head v Italy and Romania.

If Romania lose by four goals or more and the other game ends 0-0, Italy would proceed with a better overall goal difference than Romania. France would finish bottom as they would have scored fewer goals head-to-head v Italy and Romania. If France and Italy draw AND Romania avoid defeat, then Romania go through.

I can't root for either of these sides. Here's hoping for a draw and that the Romanians can actually kick a goal and get a win.

Dunno.

Not savvy enough about the game.

What do you think?

I thought it was suspect. But what do I know? I've seen guys not even make contact and a foul was called.

I do have a bias as I can't stand the Italians. They are floppers/divers of the highest order.

I thought it was suspect. But what do I know? I've seen guys not even make contact and a foul was called.

I do have a bias as I can't stand the Italians. They are floppers/divers of the highest order.

The Italians may be floppers, but the French seem to be doing a pretty good job of dropping from any stiff breeze. Every time I watch this sport I feel like asking if these guys need a tissue.

The Italians may be floppers, but the French seem to be doing a pretty good job of dropping from any stiff breeze. Every time I watch this sport I feel like asking if these guys need a tissue.

Damn. 2-0 Italy.

Unless those crazy Romanians can pull off a miracle it looks like the Italians are going to advance.

Netherlands is up 1-0, so it'll take two. Italy looks like they are going into the four corners early.

Looks like you won't get any sleep tonight. Are your neighbours running around chanting Azzurri, Azzurri, Azzurri and waving flags?

Looks like you won't get any sleep tonight. Are your neighbours running around chanting Azzurri, Azzurri, Azzurri and waving flags?

Nah, it's only the first round and the weather is bad. There will be a few moped riders humming Seven Nation Army and that should be it. Hard to pack the Piazza del Duomo to watch the game on the big screen in the rain.

I know Italy flops, but their goaltender, Buffon is one hell of a player.

Goalkeeper. This ain't Ice Hockey.;-)

And Yes, Buffon is the ****ing man. I wanted United to sign him so much when Juventus were relegated, happy enough with Edwin though.

Archived