Rich Cimini On the FAN with Mad Dog

Maxman

Brief Recap:

Favre makes them better. The Jets have a decent team with some good parts. This is a team that is on the edge of challenging for a wild card spot. Favre makes people respect the long ball which opens the running game.

What is stopping the Jets from doing it? I don't know Rich says, because the Jets don't say anything. He thinks they are laying in the weeds waiting for market value to drop. Jump in at the last second and get him at a better price.

How would Mangini be with Favre? Could Mangini live with that? Cimini said the dynamic is interesting because Favre would be older than the HC, OC and QB Coach. Mangini would have to adjust his philosophy because Favre would be bigger than the team.

Is it universal that Jets fans want Favre? Cimini said it is a bit overplayed (the reaction at Hofstra). Fans like Chad and want him to do well (did he really say that?) and that they hate to see Chad go? HUH!!!

Favre in the postseason? It is a concern (his spotty record) because by bringing in Favre you are saying this is our run.

Cimini says the Jets are not high on Favre's list. He doesn't know Schott, big city, 4 and 12 last year. He thinks Favre would pick Tampa over the Jets.

How has Pennington handled it? He has taken the high road but yesterday Chad showed the speculation is wearing on him. Chad said they have to make a decision one way or another, let's move on sooner than later.

Are the Jets down on Clemens? Chad is better right now he has clearly been better than Clemens. Clemens gets the benefit of the doubt because he is the future but it will come down to the pre-season games. That is Kellen's chance but right now he looks rattled.

When push comes to shove Cimini doesn't think Favre will be a Jet.

Who loves Chad more? Cimini or Mangini?

I know Rich likes Chad. And I usually think he is pretty fair. But when he said that the fans would be sad to see Chad go I thought he was out of touch.

For the reporters to base "fan reaction" on what 200 people think at camp -- that is a mistake. Take the few thousand people that visit camp and take the thousands that post on message boards every day. The true feeling is somewhere in the middle.

Their are Chad guys, Kellen guys and Favre guys. I'm sorry Rich, but at this point in his career Chad has the least amount of fans of the three. Pay attention to the fan base more, not 100-200 people (a lot of them the same as a lot came for the Weekend) at Hofstra.

Cimini likes Chad-nothing wrong per se with that. The most disturbing thing to me is Clemens is off to a bad start to try to show he is the starter who we invested a high draft choice to be that person.

Their are Chad guys, Kellen guys and Favre guys. I'm sorry Rich, but at this point in his career Chad has the least amount of fans of the three. Pay attention to the fan base more, not 100-200 people (a lot of them the same as a lot came for the Weekend) at Hofstra.

Of the 3 guys you mentioned, who has done more for this franchise? I'm not saying Chad is def. leading us to tthe Super Bowl, but I just don't think a lot of people give him the RESPECT he derserves.

He basically summed up what I don't understand about the media. Why should they "do whatever it takes" to get Favre if they don't see it netting us a superbowl? What's the point of getting him to challenge for a wild card spot?? Its really getting irratating. What happens after we get the wild card then are bounced from the playoffs. We're right back in the same situation we're in now but we wasted a year. And, since some of these media people want us to give up a 1st rounder, we wouldn't even have a high pick to draft a QB if we wanted.

Also, the Clemens reports are on the verge of getting annoying because they seem to be trying to paint the picture that Chad is doing well and Clemens terrible. When it seems that they are both doing bad, but Clemens slightly more bad. It looks like they're jumping to conclusions before giving the battle time to play out. What happenes next week if Clemens plays well and Chad throws 3 picks. They'll be acting as if its Clemens job to lose. But the media always tends to be like this so its not suprising, still annoying though.

It is one thing to report things from camp another to dwell on other things and try to force feed stories. Counting the amount of ints that are thrown the first two days of camp...geez... if that was the case we should start counting the amount of field goals Nugent has missed...

So they should just ignore what he did? Only report positive Clemens progress?

exactly. he is young. he is used to having his ego stroked. He is used to the "yay, everybody's a winner" mentality. He used to having his self esteem boosted.

With everyone being so negative, he goes back at night and listens to emo music. Poor guy is depressed .

It is one thing to report things from camp another to dwell on other things and try to force feed stories. Counting the amount of ints that are thrown the first two days of camp...geez... if that was the case we should start counting the amount of field goals Nugent has missed...

Quarterback is the highest profile and arguably one of the most important positions on a team.

Position battles in camp along with rookie performance are highly scrrutinized camp subjects. As such, they get th emost attention and media coverage.

If we were sitting here and had not heard a peep about how the qb's are performing, we would be like "What the F".

Thiswill be THE story throughout camp, and as such will draw the mos tcoverage.

Cimini did say that the pre-season games are all that will matter for Chad and Kellen. Nobody will remember INTs in practice after they start keeping score.

we should have paid attention to last year's pre-season games Max when Chad stunk it up starting with the Minnesota game and those INT's...I am confident that Clemens can beat him out AGAIN-like last year, only this time the coaches will have to listen to what they see

we should have paid attention to last year's pre-season games Max when Chad stunk it up starting with the Minnesota game and those INT's...I am confident that Clemens can beat him out AGAIN-like last year, only this time the coaches will have to listen to what they see

If Clemens is the starter, we'll be 5-11 or 6-10.

With Pennington, we'll be 9-7 or 8-8...

Neither are great, but Clemens would lose us games.

For the reporters to base "fan reaction" on what 200 people think at camp -- that is a mistake. Take the few thousand people that visit camp and take the thousands that post on message boards every day. The true feeling is somewhere in the middle.

Although I've been both, they're definitely two different kinds of fans. The ones out at Hofstra are largely very supportive of Chad, and the team in general. Shoot, I'm praying that Clemens wins the job, but I'm still out there in my "10" cap. Wonder how Cimini counted me?

Message board fans, OTOH, are a much crankier, know-it-all group. :curse:

He basically summed up what I don't understand about the media. Why should they "do whatever it takes" to get Favre if they don't see it netting us a superbowl? What's the point of getting him to challenge for a wild card spot?? Its really getting irratating. What happens after we get the wild card then are bounced from the playoffs. We're right back in the same situation we're in now but we wasted a year. And, since some of these media people want us to give up a 1st rounder, we wouldn't even have a high pick to draft a QB if we wanted.

Outstanding point, and I agree entirely with it - until Chad's named the starter. :shutit:

I know Rich likes Chad. And I usually think he is pretty fair. But when he said that the fans would be sad to see Chad go I thought he was out of touch.

I have to confess I'm one of those who would like to see Chad go out on a high note. Get some redemption for all the disappointing years. I think without injuries and a good team around him Chad is our best chance to go far in the playoffs. Even better than favre who would be coming into a whole new situation he hasn't been in before and represents a big question mark for so many reasons despite his past performance.

You can also look at it like this. Chad doesn't just want to play. He wants to win. He has to win. Favre, on the other hand, wants to be with a team that has a chance to win, but he really just wants to play again. He doesn't have to win.

If you asked me who I thought would be more fun to watch I'd have to say Favre, but in the end it wouldn't be satisfying just to be entertained by favre without having a successful season, something I don't think favre would be consistent enough to bring us.

With either behind center, we wont win more than 7 games.

LBS-we spent 140 million frickin dollars we better be more than a 7-9 team....look we have a good OL now and IMO the deepest RB corps in the division-we won't have to be a pass first team-an old addage that should apply to this year's Jets is; "use the run to open up the pass"

LBS-we spent 140 million frickin dollars we better be more than a 7-9 team....look we have a good OL now and IMO the deepest RB corps in the division-we won't have to be a pass first team-an old addage that should apply to this year's Jets is; "use the run to open up the pass"

I agree SoFla. I think our team is pretty solid on both sides of the ball. I'd say we're all around an above average team, offense, defense and special teams. Outside of cornerback and the deep ball, I don't think we have any real weaknesses (and our lack of a deep threat is largely overblown in my opinion). If we're consistent and don't turn the ball over I don't see how we don't contend for a playoff spot. Do you?

Our team is very, very good aside from the Quarterback situation.

The Offensive Line has a great mixture of experienced Pro Bowl & Super Bowl Champion veterans and young guys who are still learning since being thrown into the fire since Day 1 of their rookie years in 2006.

The Running Back depth is arguably the best in the NFL with Jones, Washington, Chatman & Smith, added on top of that one of the best blocking Fullbacks in the history of the NFL in Tony Richardson.

The Wide Receivers after Coles & Cotchery are shakey, but they are two of the toughest S.O.B.'s you'll ever have at the receiver position and if Chansi Stuckey, Brad Smith or Dustin Keller can come along as a third target, this offense just adds another lethal demention.

The Defensive front seven now has what it needs in a true 34 Nose Tackle with three time Pro Bowler Kris Jenkins and some pass rushers in Calvin Pace and Vernon Gholston to help Thomas who is ready to prove to people that last season was a fluke and that he is serious about winning and looking foward to getting back to his 2006 form, if not better.

The secondary is led by two young studs in Rhodes & Revis and while the other Safety spot is up for grabs, both have theirs up & downs and neither are terrible prospects. The second Cornerback just is Justin Miller's to lose and his continues to impress Mangini and according to Mangini ever since last years TC, has improved his play on the Defensive side of the ball. A shame we didn't get to see it during the Regular Season last year.

And lastly, we have at Kicker a guy with a strong leg who has yet to come up short in a big spot, a Punter who is very good at downing teams inside the 20 yard line when given the chance to do so and the BEST 1-2 combination in the NFL in returners with Miller & Leon Washington.

A blind squirrel should be able to lead this team to 8 or 9 wins.

The Offensive Line has a great mixture of experienced Pro Bowl & Super Bowl Champion veterans and young guys who are still learning since being thrown into the fire since Day 1 of their rookie years in 2006.

The Running Back depth is arguably the best in the NFL with Jones, Washington, Chatman & Smith, added on top of that one of the best blocking Fullbacks in the history of the NFL in Tony Richardson.

The Wide Receivers after Coles & Cotchery are shakey, but they are two of the toughest S.O.B.'s you'll ever have at the receiver position and if Chansi Stuckey, Brad Smith or Dustin Keller can come along as a third target, this offense just adds another lethal demention.

The Defensive front seven now has what it needs in a true 34 Nose Tackle with three time Pro Bowler Kris Jenkins and some pass rushers in Calvin Pace and Vernon Gholston to help Thomas who is ready to prove to people that last season was a fluke and that he is serious about winning and looking foward to getting back to his 2006 form, if not better.

The secondary is led by two young studs in Rhodes & Revis and while the other Safety spot is up for grabs, both have theirs up & downs and neither are terrible prospects. The second Cornerback just is Justin Miller's to lose and his continues to impress Mangini and according to Mangini ever since last years TC, has improved his play on the Defensive side of the ball. A shame we didn't get to see it during the Regular Season last year.

And lastly, we have at Kicker a guy with a strong leg who has yet to come up short in a big spot, a Punter who is very good at downing teams inside the 20 yard line when given the chance to do so and the BEST 1-2 combination in the NFL in returners with Miller & Leon Washington.

I wish we had one then.

On paper this team is improved - until they start playing though you can not say they are very good.

I agree SoFla. I think our team is pretty solid on both sides of the ball. I'd say we're all around an above average team, offense, defense and special teams. Outside of cornerback and the deep ball, I don't think we have any real weaknesses (and our lack of a deep threat is largely overblown in my opinion). If we're consistent and don't turn the ball over I don't see how we don't contend for a playoff spot. Do you?

here's the model Rick...

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/stats.nsf/Annual/2000-bal

With either behind center, we wont win more than 7 games.

Pennington will find a way to scrape out 8 or 9.. Still not good enough but I feel he'd find a way. He won't LOSE games as frequently as Clemens will.

Pennington will find a way to scrape out 8 or 9.. Still not good enough but I feel he'd find a way. He won't LOSE games as frequently as Clemens will.

were you in a federal penitentiary and missed last season aec? Did you not SEE how badly Chad sucked and how he lost games the defense gave him every opportunity to win and he couldn't get it done? One win bro ONE FRIGGING WIN out of 8 tries...O-N-E

were you in a federal penitentiary and missed last season aec? Did you not SEE how badly Chad sucked and how he lost games the defense gave him every opportunity to win and he couldn't get it done? One win bro ONE FRIGGING WIN out of 8 tries...O-N-E

I saw a guy with no line, no ankle tendons, etc etc try to play. I saw a guy who competed, and has a team that is upgraded dramatically this year.

When Clemens came in, I saw a guy who was scared to death. The deer in the headlights look was in full effect.

With this type of team, I believe Pennington could scrape out 8 or 9. Remember, when healthy, he's made the playoffs 3 times, and this is the style of football he'd want to play. I think if you demand Pennington to win the game with his arm alone, he can't do it, but if you open the door with a solid running game allowing him to play fake and manage the game, he can be an effective QB.

Now, by no means do I think Pennington is taking us to the Super Bowl. However, atleast with him I see someone who is competing, and is not scared. I can't say the same for #11.

Last season was last season and last years team was last years team.

This is a new season and a new team, which is much, much better. Chad/Kellen will be in a much better situation and I can't see the same type of mistakes from either.

I saw a guy with no line, no ankle tendons, etc etc try to play. I saw a guy who competed, and has a team that is upgraded dramatically this year.

When Clemens came in, I saw a guy who was scared to death. The deer in the headlights look was in full effect.

With this type of team, I believe Pennington could scrape out 8 or 9. Remember, when healthy, he's made the playoffs 3 times, and this is the style of football he'd want to play. I think if you demand Pennington to win the game with his arm alone, he can't do it, but if you open the door with a solid running game allowing him to play fake and manage the game, he can be an effective QB.

Now, by no means do I think Pennington is taking us to the Super Bowl. However, atleast with him I see someone who is competing, and is not scared. I can't say the same for #11.

just curious, how did you come on to pennington being able to scrape out 8 or 9 wins and not 10 or 11 wins, or 6 or 7 wins?

Archived